Is the PS3 version worth it?

ShinySpidey

Hello everyone, I'm really interested in playing this game, since it's the only FromSoftware game I do not own. However I don't have a PS5, so is it worth it playing this version or does it feel too outdated? I might buy a PS5 in the future but I'm waiting for a slim version with more games  specifically developed for the next-gen (maybe 2 years?). What do you think about it?

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat as you are. Also waiting for a PS5 Pro because basing my experience for purchasing an OG PS4, I still ended up purchasing the PS4 Pro for its performance upgrade... plus it's about time to clear a huge backlog of PSVita, PS3 and PS4 games.  Getting the PS5 right now would not really make any sense since there isn't a lot of games exclusive to next gen as they still are being made for last gen... 

As for Demon's Souls, I've had this since it was free on PS Plus a way back. Been having a love and hate relationship with this game but now that From Software has released a lot of Souls-like games as of this time, I might have one silly brave moment and play-to-stack them all in one swoop.  Good thing about Demon's Souls PS3 is that despite server closures of the OG game the platinum is reportedly to still be obtainable.

This game is HARD and some would argue the hardest of all the lot which makes its platinum quite prestegious to have in our trophy cabinet.  Having all three (3) stacks would surely make you the GOAT Souls gamer.  So yeah go for it if you are into From Software games.  A pre-owned copy should still be available to purchase online though as per all PS3 games being currently sold - they might not come cheap!

Good luck... take one for the team and make us proud!  

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 1

I played it year or two back and it's still pretty good, considering the age of the game, but I remember problems with camera and enemy targeting, especially indoors, which made me drop the game to eventually get the remake. It's perfectly playable and enjoyable though, just prepare yourself to get frustrated while knowing there's a better version of it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SairenOne said:

Its worth it!

But its harder than the PS5 Version...

Not even remotely close to being as hard as the ps5 version, you can duplicate any item in the game including souls in the ps3 version, to become insanely OP as soon as you beat the first boss. 

4 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not even remotely close to being as hard as the ps5 version, you can duplicate any item in the game including souls in the ps3 version, to become insanely OP as soon as you beat the first boss. 

i talk about legit gaming not about using exploits...

• Like 3

All versions of Demon's Souls are worth playing (and owning physical copies indefinitely).

The platinum is possible offline (without using the restored server project), and playing offline is easier for me since you can control World Tendency more easily now than you could back before the official servers were taken offline.

• Like 4

It is the same levels, but since it is a remake, not a remaster on PS5 the art style is quite different in places. Many times I preferred the original character design. The OG DeS is probably by 2nd favorite of the four Souls games. If you want to have an easier time then pick the 

Spoiler

Royal starting class and use magic, it is very overpowered in Demon's Souls

Here is how to connect to the private server, follow the PS3 instructions.

https://www.thearchstones.com/serverinfo.html

One benefit to the private server over playing offline is it is possible to alter your world tendency very easily by leaving certain messages on the ground (scroll to the bottom of that page). World Tendency that is something very easy to mess up, as you can always obtain Pure Black World Tendency by dying in human form, but it was possible to lock yourself out of obtained Pure White World Tendency.

World Tendency is kind of like proto-Gravelording/Company of Champions Covenant. The darker it is, the stronger the enemies are, the more souls you get, and the higher the chance to drop loot. White tendency is the opposite, enemies get easier, but the rewards for killing are lesser. As it approaches pure black, extra enemies are added to the levels. When you get to pure white/pure black new NPCs and/or paths through the level unlock.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Even without exploits the ps3 version is easier, I played it after the ps5 version and it was a lot easier to finish

How is the PS3 one easier? You need so many materials to upgrade with each one, took me forever to get those trophies

the original demons souls was better then the remake in terms of atmosphere, but for me there's also nostalgia there.. the remake is flashy with great effects, and optimisation, but lacks much of the imagination that went into Demons Souls original. 

the remake is good and well worth playing but the ps3 is better imo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arcanehornet_ said:

How is the PS3 one easier? You need so many materials to upgrade with each one, took me forever to get those trophies

You can still be given every material/ring/weapon with the private server. Also I'm not equating trophy grinding to game difficulty. The boss fights in the ps3 version were easier

10 hours ago, Eispan said:

Also waiting for a PS5 Pro

That's just stupid. There's always something better coming. If/when a PS5 Pro comes people will be saying they'll wait for PS6. Just enjoy what we have. You're missing a fantastic console.

As for PS3 Demon's Souls. Yes get it. It's harder than the PS5 version but it's not the ultra hard game that people make it out to be.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sardavanua said:

Yes. I'd say it's one of the best PS3 games out there. I've been playing the PS3 version every single year since I got it and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't keep on doing that.

Gotta say though every single time I start a new playthrough I'm shocked by how old it looks. But literally two minutes later I don't remember anymore.

The OG Demon's Souls is still perfectly playable and an amazing experience. 

I'm glad to read it, I actually don't care too much about graphics so I am definitely gonna play it

15 hours ago, Guardian_owl said:

It is the same levels, but since it is a remake, not a remaster on PS5 the art style is quite different in places. Many times I preferred the original character design. The OG DeS is probably by 2nd favorite of the four Souls games. If you want to have an easier time then pick the 

Hide contents

Royal starting class and use magic, it is very overpowered in Demon's Souls

Here is how to connect to the private server, follow the PS3 instructions.

https://www.thearchstones.com/serverinfo.html

One benefit to the private server over playing offline is it is possible to alter your world tendency very easily by leaving certain messages on the ground (scroll to the bottom of that page). World Tendency that is something very easy to mess up, as you can always obtain Pure Black World Tendency by dying in human form, but it was possible to lock yourself out of obtained Pure White World Tendency.

World Tendency is kind of like proto-Gravelording/Company of Champions Covenant. The darker it is, the stronger the enemies are, the more souls you get, and the higher the chance to drop loot. White tendency is the opposite, enemies get easier, but the rewards for killing are lesser. As it approaches pure black, extra enemies are added to the levels. When you get to pure white/pure black new NPCs and/or paths through the level unlock.

Thank you for this detailed explanation, I knew that World Tendency was a bit off in the OG Demon's Souls, but I didn't know exactly what to expect... you cleared my mind?

8 hours ago, ShinySpidey said:

Thanks for all the replies, you guys convinced me to play it, I really don't mind "old atmospheres" or mechanics as long as the game works properly and it's playable. 

This Atlus video from the original game release goes a bit more in-depth into World Tendency and Character Tendency.

On 26/03/2022 at 8:26 PM, RedDevil757 said:

Just enjoy what we have. You're missing a fantastic console.

Exactly I'm enjoying what I have - Legacy Playstation consoles from PSVita/PS3 and PS4.  You have no idea how huge my game backlog is and I'm starting to play most of them now.  Adding PS5 games right now (which I do have quite a handful in my library thanks to cross-buy) will definitely stress me out even more. I'm really more relaxed knowing my backlogs are getting trimmed by each completed game - having alternate accounts from other regions also adds more to the backlog by the way.

I'd be more happy and relaxed once (at least) 50% of the backlog has been played. By then I'd definitely enjoy the PS5 withhout stressing about unplayed games.

Going back to Demon's Souls - yeah definitely contemplating on going full-on From Software stacks - it's how I play my games nowadays.

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 26-3-2022 at 7:15 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Even without exploits the ps3 version is easier, I played it after the ps5 version and it was a lot easier to finish

Of course it's easier to finish if you've already done it before... That's how these games work in the first place, gets easier everytime you play.

1 hour ago, Flex_Da_Brent said:

Of course it's easier to finish if you've already done it before... That's how these games work in the first place, gets easier everytime you play.

Not really. I played the entire ps5 version in co-op. PS3 solo. Even if I hadn't played the ps5 version first, the ps3 version is easier

6 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Not really. I played the entire ps5 version in co-op. PS3 solo. Even if I hadn't played the ps5 version first, the ps3 version is easier

Well you'll never know because you did play the remake first. I haven't played the remake yet, not sure if I ever will but I  really can't see why it would be harder than ps3 with all the extra knowledge I have about the game now, what makes it harder then?

Edited by Flex_Da_Brent
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...