Trophies ruined gaming !!

GMZ

8 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If you feel like you are not finding the good stuff among the slew of games, or are just having bad luck finding them, folks on here might be able to help - there is a lot of prime gaming knowledge on these forums!

What were the last few games you remember really enjoying?

I enjoy a lot if not the most enjoyable games to me is the Metal Gear franchise, God of War franchise, The Last of Us (i haven't played part 2 yet), Batman Arkham franchise, Medal of Honors, Battlefields, Sniper Elite games, Syndicate, Singularity (50%), Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombats, Uncharted games of course, Dead space franchise (DS 3 was a bit boring though), Silent hill games, Resident Evil games, Yakuza games, Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider the reboot series not the classic ones, Killzone series, not a big fan of racing games but Burnout Paradise is awesome, Bulletstorm, Wolfenstein series, Unit 13 on the vita i liked this one too, Rocket League, Call of Juarez Bound in Blood, Binary Domain (not one of the best but the game was good), Starhawk, F.E.A.R. series, etc. i am sure there are tons of others but i guess i wrote you enough stuff here ☺️

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

Trophies made me explore tons of games I wouldn't play otherwise or wouldn't even bother with. It's true some games are a horrible experience to 100% but over the years I look back at my list and actually have a laugh how I achieved some of these grinds.

Nothing wrong with exploring more stuff and it's fine to play mediocre games but the problem is, i mean for me i went a bit too far by doing that and eventually i felt like i got stuck too much with bad games more than good ones when i should go for the good ones since they are more worth of our times.

• Like 2

I've had so much more fun with games after I started to stop caring about trophies. According to PSNP I haven't earned a trophy since February 23rd. Freedom does feel good.
That, and I'm busy playing through Xenoblade.

I'm not going to say I agree that trophies ruined gaming. But I do feel like people that only play games because of trophies have their priorities in the wrong place. But they are welcome to do whatever the fuck they want. As am I.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

There is no in between when it comes to this, mentally you either care for trophies or the fun experience, that’s why i mentioned the MGS 4 example, what made me decide to become a trophy hunter is i liked the idea but devs went too far with them, i don’t wanna skip playing good games because of trophies but in the same time i don’t like to leave my games unfinished because there is a trophy that wants me to do stuff i don’t wanna do 

I think your problem is that you care too much about trophies. There's definitely a middle ground; you just have to find it and realize that trophies aren't the end-all, be-all in gaming or in life. They're just digital accomplishments. That's it. 

The last several years (probably since 2015-2016), I have been picking and choosing what games to plat and if I don't enjoy playing the game, I stop. If I get bored, I play something else and go back to it later when it feels fresh. If it's too hard and I'm not having fun, I move on.

You just have to change your mindset of how to approach games. It's hard to do, but it's definitely possible.

41 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I've had so much more fun with games after I started to stop caring about trophies. According to PSNP I haven't earned a trophy since February 23rd. Freedom does feel good.
That, and I'm busy playing through Xenoblade.

I'm not going to say I agree that trophies ruined gaming. But I do feel like people that only play games because of trophies have their priorities in the wrong place. But they are welcome to do whatever the fuck they want. As am I.

Weird, I also haven't earned many trophies this year playing Xenoblade...

It's about to get worst before it gets better on July 29th. xD

• Like 1

If not for trophies/achievements I would have quit gaming back in 2008. It was only when I started looking into them more and then experiencing them that I realised they opened up sections in games I would never have even known possible. Granted not every list does this and some can actually dampen another wise fantastic gaming experience. But overall I'd say they're the best gaming feature to arrive since the save game option appeared. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The last several years (probably since 2015-2016), I have been picking and choosing what games to plat and if I don't enjoy playing the game, I stop. If I get bored, I play something else and go back to it later when it feels fresh. If it's too hard and I'm not having fun, I move on.

If you check my profile you’d notice that i’ve been playing casually for fun and whenever the game gets harder or i get stuck i stop and move to another one, i’m talking about the most recent games played on my profile. 

Edited by Great_MazingerZ
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If you really do feel this way, I think gaming might just not be for you... :S

...personally, the only problem I have is there is so many awesome games - and more coming out at such a furious rate - that I will never have time to get to even a fraction of them in one lifetime ?

To be fair, there is A LOT of shit on Playstation nowadays. And I mean a metric ton of crappy shovelware, broken, buggy, or just bad shit. Then there is the millionth open world busy work simulator. And then there are the crappy mobile ports and meme games like I am Mayo that was fun for a joke at first, but just realsed part 3... I mean, really? The qualitiy control at Sony has been lost for years now.

It can be challenging to find an actual good game if you're used to playing 30+ titles a year. They are out there ofcourse, but it can take a bit of work to find them. Because of the trends in AAA that I personally dislike, I was forced to find a lot of hidden gems in the Indie sphere. Games like Cross Code, Iconoclasts, Rabi-Ribi, The Messenger, Unmetal and the Sexy Brutale are all great games I've played last year, that I would have never found  if I didn't spend a lot of time digging through the shit and watching Youtube video's on lesser known games.

19 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

i am finding out more and more that only handful of games are good in this industry among those thousands of games

I agree with this, but keep looking, there are a lot of great games out there, Just find some good Youtube channels or something to hear about new indie games. I'm subscribed to Best Indie Games for example. You still have to sift trough all of the non-PS stuff, but he uses the timeline markers for each game he shows, so you can skip through easily and he generally has differently themed videos (indie gaming this week, new trailers, suprise releases, etc) a couple of times per week.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

To be fair, there is A LOT of shit on Playstation nowadays. And I mean a metric ton of crappy shovelware, broken, buggy, or just bad shit. Then there is the millionth open world busy work simulator. And then there are the crappy mobile ports and meme games like I am Mayo that was fun for a joke at first, but just realsed part 3... I mean, really? The qualitiy control at Sony has been lost for years now.

It can be challenging to find an actual good game if you're used to playing 30+ titles a year. They are out there ofcourse, but it can take a bit of work to find them. Because of the trends in AAA that I personally dislike, I was forced to find a lot of hidden gems in the Indie sphere. Games like Cross Code, Iconoclasts, Rabi-Ribi, The Messenger, Unmetal and the Sexy Brutale are all great games I've played last year, that I would have never found  if I didn't spend a lot of time digging through the shit and watching Youtube video's on lesser known games.

For sure there's a lot to sift through, (and I totally agree on the artless, soulless stuff like Breakthrough / The Animal X / Lizard Lady and the Hopeless Waste of Time type games,) but there's an awful lot of really good indie stuff out there too - you just have to keep your ear to the ground, and keep a note of what others are playing and chatting about. :dunno:

I was actually looking at my list the other day, and realised it is getting on for a year since I played anything really definable as "AAA"...

...but I've been on a pretty good hot-streak - I've really liked most of what I've played over that year, and my backlog has grown like 5 times faster the rate I actually play the games ?

I think I'd need like a decade of nothing good coming out to even come close to running out of good stuff to play at this point ?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ric said:

The other problem i am facing here is, forget about the trophies now but what i mean is, whenever i see a game or just the title and i check the gameplay on youtube it mostly make me think hmmmm that’s an interesting game so i go ahead and pick it up but when the time comes to play it and try it MYSELF it turns out not exactly what i expected and that’s disappointing, so i either i get stuck when i pop a trophy or i just avoid it before a trophy pops, because of that i have several games that i don’t wanna deal with them so probably they will be left incomplete forever.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Great_MazingerZ said:

The other problem i am facing here is, forget about the trophies now but what i mean is, whenever i see a game or just the title and i check the gameplay on youtube it mostly make me think hmmmm that’s an interesting game so i go ahead and pick it up but when the time comes to play it and try it MYSELF it turns out not exactly what i expected and that’s disappointing, so i either i get stuck when i pop a trophy or i just avoid it before a trophy pops, because of that i have several games that i don’t wanna deal with them so probably they will be left incomplete forever.

I was like that with Bloodborne. Really gutted I didn't gel with it. I mean I hate From Software as nothing has been different since Dark Souls. But that being said, If I am able to reach such a milestone, then I may go for Bloodborn as my 100% completion. Again if not for trophies I wouldn't even consider it, but that completion ping adds a whole new level of self accomplishment. It will take some serious thinking about it though. 

But in regards to the OP's comment about Mein Lieben. In no way should trophies like this not exist. These are far more important in a time when game devs and publishers offer you pay to win, that there will always be the games where there is only self reward for accomplishing such a difficult gaming task. I would never go for it and the game is awesome, but its imperative that trophies like this continue.  

On 5/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Weird, I also haven't earned many trophies this year playing Xenoblade...

It's about to get worst before it gets better on July 29th. xD

It's really good to hear that, honestly. So many people are sleeping on Xenoblade. Tickles my heart to know that I'm not the only one ignoring my PS5 library for it.

Really can't wait for Xenoblade 3. I dunno if I can beat XC2 and Torna before July 29th... but I'm gonna try. I've got 170 hours in Definitive Edition... and I still haven't beat the game. Grinding out unique monster kills first for the maximum affinity coins.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:06 PM, Great_MazingerZ said:

I stand by this statement, over the years and the more time passed by i started to see it that way, i know this is a trophy site and you all love trophies and i am a trophy hunter myself but i am being honest here, but why i see it that way because:

Your entire OP here is very subjective. I understand it's easy to get burnt out especially when you're playing a game that you would otherwise not bother if it weren't for the trophies.

- Online trophies:

Things like reach max level (level 50 or whatever) or get 1000s of kills can't be more boring by doing the same thing over and over, Games like Far Cry 2, Crysis 2, Inversion, Red Faction Guerrilla and many others and what comes out of it is another issue and it's boosting with new people that they either turn friends or assholes (by them not following the rules of boosting and make it harder and more tedious).

Or that the servers go down and ruin your platinum and your 100% profile.

It's NOT worth stressing out over a 100% profile. I have three unobtainables on my profile, and I basically decided I wasn't going to bother going after them when they were obtainable because I just wouldn't have fun playing those games.

I hate online trophies in general as much as the next guy. However, some games like Red Dead Redemption 1 I had tons of fun. Even ended up having fun with getting the Kingpin trophy, which requires nine players to set up. It was a bonding experience that I wouldn't of gotten with single player only games.

Really... it just depends on the game.

- Difficulty trophies:

Some of these trophies are just ridiculous and bullshit, i am talking about games like Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein II (Mein Leben) you can't tell me this is fun when games are meant to be for fun.

I strongly disagree. I had a lot of fun going after NYMHC (New York Minute Hardcore) in Max Payne 3. I made a friend off of boosting the online trophies in it.

Games like this aren't for everyone though, and it sounds like you just don't like permadeath trophies. Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus just aren't for you.

- Multiple playthroughs:

These type of trophies alone are enough to make me hate even my favorite game, example is Metal Gear Solid 4 i must beat this game 8 times, ok i love this game but i don't wanna play it 8 times this is insane !! or also a game called Way of the Samurai 3 i think you need to beat this game 7 times ....really no comment !!!

Again, this depends on the particular game. I did Resident Evil HD last month, did seven playthroughs of the game for the platinum, and I enjoyed it.

You don't need to do it all in one sitting, or in one week, or in one month. Take a break and play other games, then come back when you feel like you're ready. That's how I handle a lot of games that require multiple playthroughs for the platinum.

- Glitched trophies:

How unfair they are right ? especially those trophies that pop at the end of the game but they don't because they glitched on you and its developers don't give a shit about fixing them.

This is the only point in the OP that I agree with you. Glitched trophies do indeed suck, and sometimes they lock players out of the platinum.

- Playing shit games:

I gotta admit trophies made my game collection a 100x bigger vs me as a casual gamer, the endless greed of wanting more and more trophies that made us stir away from playing good or better games, i even don't play Ratalaika games or any others like them and yet i feel like i thrown myself into a swamp, my entire life is not enough for me to finish the backlog, therefore because of trophies our gaming budget became 10x more than usual because of non stop buying games we may think they are good but they aren't and the DLCs and season passes and you know how greedy those companies became the day microtransaction was born.

Another man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm not going to debate the impact of easy games on the leaderboards, or why certain players stack them. I've pissed off enough people with my rants on Ratalaika Games and those awful Breakthrough Gaming Arcade titles, that I've gone beyond the point of caring.

I just play the games I want. Ikemenzi or whatever the fuck his name is who is at the top of the PSNP leaderboards can play all the garbage games he wants. I don't care, because doing that kind of stacking and playing 10 - 15 hours of a day just isn't for me.

As a gamer, I like to challenge myself occasionally, but not too often. I play a variety of easy and some hard games. A majority of my games consist of being fairly easy on the difficulty scale, as long as I enjoyed the experience I don't care.

I don't give a damn about how many ultra rares I have either. If I did, I would have over a thousand ultra rare trophies at this point. That's not for me either. I can't play hard game after hard game, or go after that very obscure game that few people even know exists, just because it has a bunch of ultra rares. If that obscure game looks interesting and appealing, then I'll go and buy it. If not, I skip it and move on to other games.

@Great_MazingerZIs a really good friend of mine, we all feeling this way sometimes. And GMZ has a really respectful account you can’t bash that. Now I do also get this burned out feeling with gaming/trophies than I take a break for a few days and come back again. I am sure GMZ will find his way back to the hobby ?. All the best mate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TazDevilz1986 said:

@Great_MazingerZIs a really good friend of mine, we all feeling this way sometimes. And GMZ has a really respectful account you can’t bash that. Now I do also get this burned out feeling with gaming/trophies than I take a break for a few days and come back again. I am sure GMZ will find his way back to the hobby 1f44d.png. All the best mate. 

Thanks bro i appreciate it, we go way back, boosting many games we had good times and bad times.

On 16/05/2022 at 1:15 AM, zizimonster said:

I don't think so. To me, trophies are a test of skills... and patience, unless you succumb to those EZPZs.

What i succumbed to is i am lost between a swamp of hundreds of games, i only have mayo as an EZPZ but at the time it was something new so i tried it but that’s it no more of the same.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Games like this aren't for everyone though, and it sounds like you just don't like permadeath trophies. Max Payne 3 and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus just aren't for you.

The real games that truly aren’t for me are the racing games, i fell into the trap of Driveclub, a lot of trophy hunters went for it so i thought to myself why not me i think i can do it but oh man….despite that it isn’t a hard racing game for many players but it was too difficult for me and beyond my abilities plus it was rich with trophies so i got tempted and it’s a big title so all of this lead into this mess i’m in, same shit with motogp 09/10 everyone hopped on it  so i thought i will have a very special thing on my profile but first of all the game was bad because it’s old i understand and again too hard for me i couldn’t win a single race in it lol, so yeah racing games aren’t for me despite that i platinumed few of them but those are easy anyways.

Regarding the permadeath mode to be honest i haven’t tried them yet but i know my skills i am just medium average player so i am sure they will be nearly impossible for me.

I think it's more to do with a well designed trophy list should give you a good gaming experience. A poor designed trophy list does have a negative impact on your experience. It can get a little tedious to get some classes of trophies that are considered a grind e.g. leveling up, multiple kills, excessive collectibles. But hey, the age old position since the dawn of trophies remains... you dont have to get the trophy, which is ultimately what it all comes down to.

• Like 1

I agree with you for the most part, as I prefer to play on my own so multiplayer and online trophies are a no go for me, i don't even buy games with those types of trophies. If I want to play them, I would play them on a seperate account or look to see if they have a Switch version.

Trophies have definitely influenced my purchasing of games and I know I have avoided playing certain games only because of the trophies, which is a more recent thing in the past few years. I didn't care in my first few years of gaming which I regret as because of that I have games on my profile I can never platinum like Tales of Symphonia and Disgaea D2. I would have never bought those games if it were me now, as when I got into trophies I started to be very selective with games and only play games that I know for sure I can platinum.

So that way I think to some extent trophy hunting can take the fun out of it if you care too much about it, or worry about completion percentage to the point that you avoid certain games. I remember wanting to play the new story of seasons and rune factory games, but their trophies are 100+ hours of.... farming and stuff. I enjoyed these games on switch but usually stopped playing them once my character got married and had a kid, but that doesn't cut it for the platinum so if I were to buy them, I'd get the switch one. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I agree with you for the most part, as I prefer to play on my own so multiplayer and online trophies are a no go for me, i don't even buy games with those types of trophies. If I want to play them, I would play them on a seperate account or look to see if they have a Switch version.

Trophies have definitely influenced my purchasing of games and I know I have avoided playing certain games only because of the trophies, which is a more recent thing in the past few years. I didn't care in my first few years of gaming which I regret as because of that I have games on my profile I can never platinum like Tales of Symphonia and Disgaea D2. I would have never bought those games if it were me now, as when I got into trophies I started to be very selective with games and only play games that I know for sure I can platinum.

So that way I think to some extent trophy hunting can take the fun out of it if you care too much about it, or worry about completion percentage to the point that you avoid certain games. I remember wanting to play the new story of seasons and rune factory games, but their trophies are 100+ hours of.... farming and stuff. I enjoyed these games on switch but usually stopped playing them once my character got married and had a kid, but that doesn't cut it for the platinum so if I were to buy them, I'd get the switch one. 

So at least you agree with me because it seems nobody agreed with me if you read the comments, i see it as two different worlds, trophies and gaming, and like i said it did affect my purchase now i am buying more games but as of now i am trying to squeeze as much as possible and make it limited. 

• Like 1

I try going for 100% on most of the games I play usually anyway so because of that I have a lot of games in the backlog that I haven’t played yet, so in that sense trophies kinda ruined how fast I get through them.

Also trophies have influenced the purchases of a bunch of cheap games that I would have never purchased if it didn’t have an easy platinum I got a bunch left in the library, but thankfully I’ve stopped buying crap that I’m not 100% interested in yay. 

But then again just because I like getting trophies don’t mean I need to 100% every game I’m not that obsessed it’s just a preference I’ll just move on to another game if the boredom and grind is getting real.

So overall with the exception of the points I made above, No trophies haven’t ruined it for me since I still have fun gaming.

Edited by blacklight-nero
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, xWarchamp said:

No, trophies haven’t ruined gaming at all. I think you (and others on this site) have ruined your own gaming experiences by prioritising them and a completion percentage over the most important thing: fun

Also, most of the games with online trophies are active for years and you’ve had or got plenty of chance to play them. 100% completion profile wouldn’t be particularly impressive if every trophy was offline-based either. Think about it.

Regarding the i had plenty of time to do the online, how did you know that i do ? You don’t know my life or what i’m going through, we work hard to get paid to be able to buy their games, i constantly priortise online trophies over offline, but so many games got online trophies and most of them are lengthy so it’s not an easy task, so yeah if those servers were up from 2 to 5 or 7 years that doesn’t mean i have all the time in the world, i work from 8 to 12 hours a day and when i get back home i am beat and life is not trophies only you know :)  

as for that i made them ruined the gaming well, trophies made to be completed (100%) so i work accordingly just like any casual gamer who intends to beat the story mode till the end. If you don’t care about reaching that 100% then you don’t care about trophies. 

20 hours ago, blacklight-nero said:

I try going for 100% on most of the games I play usually anyway so because of that I have a lot of games in the backlog that I haven’t played yet, so in that sense trophies kinda ruined how fast I get through them.

Also trophies have influenced the purchases of a bunch of cheap games that I would have never purchased if it didn’t have an easy platinum I got a bunch left in the library, but thankfully I’ve stopped buying crap that I’m not 100% interested in yay. 

But then again just because I like getting trophies don’t mean I need to 100% every game I’m not that obsessed it’s just a preference I’ll just move on to another game if the boredom and grind is real.

So overall with the exception of the points I made above, No trophies haven’t ruined it for me since I still have fun gaming.

In the beginning of trophies experience it was fun i admit but it went out of hand later on, i gotta admit that i made some mistakes here and there by going for lesser and lesser games in quality of the same genre that i love. 

Edited by Great_MazingerZ

Here's a tip. Don't go after trophies that you are dreading. Forget about the platinum. Don't let it ruin the game for you.

The only thing that trophies has ruined IMO is devs making so much shovelware garbage that gives easy platinums. Even for people that don't care about trophies they still have to search through all that crap in the PS Store. I wish Sony would crack down on it because it's gotten out of control.

4 hours ago, xWarchamp said:

You’re right. I don’t know your life nor do I particularly care to be honest. Plenty of people here work long hours and even have kids and still manage to pursue their hobby. If you don’t get around to earning a certain trophy before the closing date then get over it on and move on.

Well to miss on a trophy because of a shutdown that never happened to me yet, but i am talking in general here.

4 hours ago, Sn1per666999 said:

Here's a tip. Don't go after trophies that you are dreading. Forget about the platinum. Don't let it ruin the game for you.

The only thing that trophies has ruined IMO is devs making so much shovelware garbage that gives easy platinums. Even for people that don't care about trophies they still have to search through all that crap in the PS Store. I wish Sony would crack down on it because it's gotten out of control.

It all started with 1000 top rated or something and Sony took that down but they kept making such games so i guess Sony dropped the ball, i try to avoid many games that i believe they're not for me i am working on that, i've fallen into that trap at the beginning but now i am trying to fix whatever fixable.