Rant - I miss my PS3 days

lettmon

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 11:55 AM, FeindlicheKrabbe said:

I still am in my PS3 years and play mostly online games ?

Free online. That’s a privilege that isn’t going to last much longer as PS3 and Vita games with online are getting axed one by one.

• Like 1

To be honest, the PS3 was slow, janky and the UI was not really good, but other than that, I enjoyed the PS3 when it first came out, but I don't miss my PS3 days since I learned to move on to newer consoles like the Nintendo Switch and PS5.

My favorite console ever. It got me back into gaming after nearly a decade away. Games like Trine, Dead Space, Bioshock, the first Uncharted, Enslaved, & Tekken 5 DRO were almost magical experiences for me. Now the industry just want's to nickel & dime/scam us every chance they get, and my favorite hobby has been tainted with cynicism as a result.

Thankfully the indie/AA scene is still pretty great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 7:36 PM, EverythingOnFire said:

Thankfully the indie/AA scene is still pretty great.

This is the only thing that really keeps me going in gaming these days. 

Thankfully we have Japan coming out with great stuff like Elden Ring. 

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is the only thing that really keeps me going in gaming these days. 

Thankfully we have Japan coming out with great stuff like Elden Ring. 

Pretty much the same for me. Other than the odd PS game, I mostly just play older PC titles I missed out on, and thankfully the boomer shooter craze isn't slowing down any. Still lots of great point & click adventure games coming out too.

Agreed that Japan is still (mostly) great with what they're producing. They need to start taking their PC ports more seriously though. Optimization & graphics settings are quite lame almost across the board as of late.

9 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Pretty much the same for me. Other than the odd PS game, I mostly just play older PC titles I missed out on, and thankfully the boomer shooter craze isn't slowing down any. Still lots of great point & click adventure games coming out too.

Agreed that Japan is still (mostly) great with what they're producing. They need to start taking their PC ports more seriously though. Optimization & graphics settings are quite lame almost across the board as of late.

Boomer shooters are essentially games that Baby Boomers developed during the late 70s, early mid 80s. Generation X didn't really have a hand in developing games until the late 80s, early - mid 90s. There's a real market out there for old school games that appeal to 40 some year old Gen Xers, like the old Atari games. Gaming in my mind didn't really start until the NES generation. Games like Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda and Metroid practically laid the groundwork for everything else to follow.

My own generation is making some good stuff, though I often find that we tend to be rather narcissistic and condescending, which I've definitely noticed in some games I played. The Fortnite generation will topple our efforts though. Things are going to gradually worse before they get better.

Japan is mostly free from the utter nonsense that has swept across the West, which is why we're still getting great big budget titles from them.

Edited by AJ_Radio

9 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Uh, @AJ_Radio seems to forget about Final Fantasy XVI, the Tales series, Dragon Quest and more. Plus there's Star Ocean 6 coming out. Japan is still going great with the games they have released.

@AJ_Radio You need to expand your horizons and there are games other than Elden Ring to look forward to from Japan.

I’ve gone back and started playing any hidden gems on ps3 I missed. I love that ps3 games are often only 15-20 hours to complete instead of the usual 60+ open world format we have on every major game now. With limited time, it’s good as a trophy hunter to keep finishing off games and making progress. It’s annoying to put 4 hours into a game and barely make a dint into the overall completion. I don’t mind it for some games, but it feels like it’s common place for current generation. 

PS3 will just forever be special to me.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Alantor32 said:

You need to expand your horizons and there are games other than Elden Ring to look forward to from Japan.

Can you please just look at my trophy list instead of just assuming that I don't play enough variety of games? I've done three Japanese novels, all on the PS Vita. I have a plethora of indie titles in the modern era that I feel are worth playing and I can recommend to anybody.

Stop trolling here, because it sounds like you're desperate for attention.

• Like 1

I started playing Splinter Cell HD from the trilogy yesterday with very fond memories of the PS2 era, Also started Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate edition that I bought in Santiago Chile a few years back. Both of these games are complete on disc, I am a Gen X.

The PS3 was also very special for me, in my school time it was just perfect to play it almost each day over years. I never forget how my brother and me delivered newspaper each saturday over 2 years to afford the console plus an LCD TV. It was our first console after the Gameboy Color Handheld lol. As we did start NFS Carbon, Colin mcrae dirt for the first time we were shocked about that great graphics. Then there was motorstorm 1 + pacific rift GTA 4, burnout paradise released and dirt 2 where i still have such good memories to it. I have 4 Ps3s( FAT, FAT Backwards comp., Slim and Super Slim) and my brother has also one and we still playing these and newer games each time we visit us.

For me this console is just a mythos, the PS4 is just a device for me for a few special games but nothing more.

Also the games of thie PS3 area are special, maybe because its just bc its them of my generation.

Still have around 80 Ps3 games to play and still find some new in the store or in my retro gaming store near my home each month, so the mythos will never end?

• Like 1

On 29.5.2022 at 9:55 PM, kanzenchaos said:

Like @ExHaseo said, it's not really the PS3 that's the issue here, you just grew up lol

By growing up you mean working till 8PM? That's not healthy, do americans really do this? 

On 29.5.2022 at 9:46 PM, ExHaseo said:

Talking to a therapist would help a lot more than posting here. 

No amount of therapy will help with this kind of work schedule. 

7 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

By growing up you mean working till 8PM? That's not healthy, do americans really do this? 

Are you implying no one outside America really work until 8 pm (or later)? Surely bars, restaurants, stores, call centers, and a plethora of other service jobs don't all work bank hours?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Are you implying no one outside America really work until 8 pm (or later)? Surely bars, restaurants, stores, call centers, and a plethora of other service jobs don't all work bank hours?

He said he gets home at 6 pm and then keeps working from home. Doesn't sound like a bar or a restaurant job.

19 minutes ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

There's a lot of opportunity in the US, but we're the 10th most expensive country to live in, with the worst labor laws in the developed world. Results in a lot of people having to work a lot of hours, and many of those people are just getting by. An unfortunate societal norm, and one that's hardly exclusive to Americans.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Does that somehow change that you imply only Americans work until 8pm?

Me, an American, working until 11pm and still gaming on PS3. Thanks Obama.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Does that somehow change that you imply only Americans work until 8pm?

At least Germans don't work 60 hour weeks at 3 different jobs just to make ends meet. Not saying OP does as I don't personally know him, but based on anecdotal evidence I have from Americans it's not unusual. In any case, the point is that OP sounds like he is depressed, massively overworked and doesn't have any time or energy to play, which again most likely stems from terrible work schedule.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

There's a lot of opportunity in the US, but we're the 10th most expensive country to live in, with the worst labor laws in the developed world. Results in a lot of people having to work a lot of hours, and many of those people are just getting by. An unfortunate societal norm, and one that's hardly exclusive to Americans.

My generation has a lot less buying power than older generations did. 

Unless you’re lucky or you can find a trade you can do with the proper training, you need at least a Masters Degree or better to find anything decent. The school system and the administrations have forced young people to spend more time studying and taking classes so they can spend more money. 

The cost of living in a dorm has also spiked. Tuition fees have forced most college kids to get financial aid and student loans. In reality, all that does for most of them is dig them into a deeper hole. Then they have to work slave labor just to pay off those student loans. All while being completely expendable, with most companies issuing write ups and terminations over a simple mistake the worker did. 

It’s not uncommon for my generation and the Zoomers to take up two jobs while attending school. That’s why most young people aren’t having kids. They can’t afford child care nor can they afford home schooling, let alone send kids to public school. 

Generation X in contrast were able to land better jobs with less time spent in college. It’s a sign of the times and school administrations keep raising the bar so young people go into debt. 

It’s an unfortunate situation that isn’t going to change any time soon.

Edited by AJ_Radio