Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name (PS5|PS4) - 2023

I see people around the web unimpressed by digital only, but honestly I think people should start getting used to this going forward.

Im mostly digital-only now. I like having access to new games at 00:00am rather than having to wait until like midday to go to a store, purchase it, then download updates. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Oberlin1694 said:

I see people around the web unimpressed by digital only, but honestly I think people should start getting used to this going forward.

Im mostly digital-only now. I like having access to new games at 00:00am rather than having to wait until like midday to go to a store, purchase it, then download updates. 

Yeah, I know there are worries about indefinite access because of the actions of companies like Ubisoft and Square Enix in pulling games or removing access (totally valid to be worried about it), but by god I love having infinite "storage space" and not having to find more and more creative ways to store all the boxes.

43 minutes ago, Oberlin1694 said:

I totally get digital is the future and more than half of my library is digital, but I still like the option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

I totally get digital is the future and more than half of my library is digital, but I still like the option.

I lost all interest in physical personally. I wouldn’t mind if instruction manuals and the like were a thing but I ain’t paying £65 for something to take up space in my home and only contain the basic disc. 

I'd like to have a choice, but all these big corporations just don't give a fuck, just like the music industry did in 2000, when the Napster appeared and people were like WTF are all these mp3 files? Yeah, cd's and vinyl became obsolete in a blink of an eye, buy then again there was a vinyl renaissance sort of during the next 10 years.

As for the "physical vs. digital" games - I'll give it a 7 years more, when almost everything will become digital, in the year 2030 may be.

Yeah, that's the plan. Just consume and ask no questions, enjoy your meal and be happy, lol. This industry sucks anyway, so I'm just laughing my ass off reading all this bullshit on a daily basis.

Alan Wake 2 was the latest example. But this is just the beginning of the end.

Yeah yeah, they have the power, they make the rules. They don't really care what you think or need - just give 'em all your money :D

As for the Yakuza Gaiden - I'm gonna buy the disc edition of course. So long, and thanks for all the fish :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Digital is largely only the "future" because massive, avaricious corporations like to penny-pinch as much as humanly possible, and take away more and more options from consumers (therefore giving companies more control over your purchases and what you can or cannot do with them after said purchases have already been made). I'm not entirely against the idea of purchasing digital games, movies, etc., mind you, as I have plenty of my own. Physical will always be preferable for me, however, even when taking lack of space or other cons of buying physical media into account. I'd imagine that digital isn't exactly preferable or convenient to people that either have terrible internet, or live in a country where the internet isn't the greatest (although, granted, you'd still have to deal with downloading updates for physical games in either case).

It's largely also an attempt at crippling the used games market by removing a person's right to resell what they've spent their hard-earned money on. COVID might've conveniently helped things along for these companies as well, but I digress. It's in some ways a lot more convenient to have games digitally, sure, but - like a lot of things nowadays - that convenience comes with a (often heavy) price. Unfortunately most people today only care about conveniences that make their lives easier in the short-term regardless of the potential consequences that'll follow in the long-term, so that also hasn't helped where things are headed in the slightest. Reap what you sow, I guess?

Either way, it's extremely disappointing to hear that Sega/RGG are dropping the ball with this game on that front. It's supposed to be a smaller game, however, so I'm currently not too worried about whether or not Infinite Wealth will get a physical release.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

But with music and movies you have a ton of options for finding devices capable of playing them so physical will probably not permanently go away anytime soon for music and movies(theres some bands who sell physical records exclusively at thier online store or live shows). Games on the other hand are designed to only play on 1 particular device(depending on if later gens are backwards compatible) so youre not gonna find any devices capable of playing ps3 games that aren't made by sony and your xbox isn't gonna play your wii u games, once the first gen drops physical thats it, nothing will be released physically going forward for that platform. While physical music and movies will probably still exist on a case by case basis for at least a few more decades as cd/dvd/blu ray/vinyl/ect. players are still easy enough to aquire new that that option is still somewhat viable.

39 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Digital is largely only the "future" because massive, avaricious corporations like to penny-pinch as much as humanly possible, and take away more and more options from consumers (therefore giving companies more control over your purchases and what you can or cannot do with them after said purchases have already been made). I'm not entirely against the idea of purchasing digital games, movies, etc., mind you, as I have plenty of my own. Physical will always be preferable for me, however, even when taking lack of space or other cons of buying physical media into account. I'd imagine that digital isn't exactly preferable or convenient to people that either have terrible internet, or live in a country where the internet isn't the greatest (although, granted, you'd still have to deal with downloading updates for physical games in either case).

It's largely also an attempt at crippling the used games market by removing a person's right to resell what they've spent their hard-earned money on. COVID might've conveniently helped things along for these companies as well, but I digress. It's in some ways a lot more convenient to have games digitally, sure, but - like a lot of things nowadays - that convenience comes with a (often heavy) price. Unfortunately most people today only care about conveniences that make their lives easier in the short-term regardless of the potential consequences that'll follow in the long-term, so that also hasn't helped where things are headed in the slightest. Reap what you sow, I guess?

Either way, it's extremely disappointing to hear that Sega/RGG are dropping the ball with this game on that front. It's supposed to be a smaller game, however, so I'm currently not too worried about whether or not Infinite Wealth will get a physical release.

Doesn’t mean I like it, but that’s the way things are going.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oberlin1694 said:

Stores here open at 9pm or give games a day early. 

1 hour ago, PooPooBlast said:

I would rather not...

You do not have ownership of said game permanently, period. Games getting delisted happens all the time so you're at the mercy of publishers wanting to keep the game in the stores.

Not to mention, physical copies are pleasant to have if you're a collector. It's no different than a DVD or VCR movie collection, comic collection, manga collection, or whatever. Having them on display is just... nice you know? 

Legally if a game were to be delisted and made unavailable you’d have to be refunded for it. Whether that will happen or not, I dunno. But chances are by the time that happens I’ll be long done with said games. 

2 hours ago, Zephrese said:

It's supposed to be a smaller game

I've seen them say this a few times and it actually bugs me cause like... Why is it $50 USD then? Not like Yakuza jumped up to $70 or anything, all the games have still been $60 releases. Slashing $10 off of it and calling it a "smaller release" seems dumb.

I honestly feel like that is the bigger issue here in a sense, when I hear a company say they're making a smaller digital only game I expect to pay like $20 or $25. Not nearly full price. I don't think as many people would care about it being digital only if it was actually the price of a " small game."

5 minutes ago, ZenaxPure said:

I've seen them say this a few times and it actually bugs me cause like... Why is it $50 USD then? Not like Yakuza jumped up to $70 or anything, all the games have still been $60 releases. Slashing $10 off of it and calling it a "smaller release" seems dumb.

I honestly feel like that is the bigger issue here in a sense, when I hear a company say they're making a smaller digital only game I expect to pay like $20 or $25. Not nearly full price. I don't think as many people would care about it being digital only if it was actually the price of a " small game."

I'd certainly be more accepting of it if they took a bit more off of the price. You'd think they would if the whole point of not releasing physical copies was to save money, and with how a lot of people will argue that producing physical copies is a part of the reason as to why games have gotten more expensive.

Edited by Zephrese

52 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I'd certainly be more accepting of it if they took a bit more off of the price. You'd think they would if the whole point of not releasing physical copies was to save money, and with how a lot of people will argue that producing physical copies is a part of the reason as to why games have gotten more expensive.

Same excuse for AW2.

i will get both......... on sale..I will import a LADGTMWEHN from PlayAsia when available though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oberlin1694 said:

Legally if a game were to be delisted and made unavailable you’d have to be refunded for it. Whether that will happen or not, I dunno. But chances are by the time that happens I’ll be long done with said games. 

In theory yes, should be illegal. In practice, highly doubt this'll happen. The recent slew of PS3 games being delisted serves as an example. 

Also, your reply was all about "me". "I'll be long done with said games."

Well what if someone wants to play the yakuza games in order? So they start from the beginning. Takes a while to reach Gaiden. But oh  oops, I have other responsibilities, family, commitments, job, work, school. Oh no! Game is delisted now! Oh well, tough luck buddy! 

What if some dude who is born in 2023 ends up playing the yakuza series in 2075 but all of a sudden he can't play the entire library anymore because that game was pulled from the store. 

I'm saying all this because game preservation is a great thing to have. To be impartial about it is fine and dandy. To have preferences for digital is also great. But to be against it and that we should adapt to this moving forward, now that's just absurd in my opinion. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, just FYI, it seems that PlayAsia is going to release a multilanguage physical asian version that include english. I don't understand RGG in this matter, is like they want to deny a physical release in the west on purpose, but at least we can have a physical playable copy now.

I played from 0 to 6, Dead Souls included in english, so I don't mind to play another one instead of my native language.

https://www.play-asia.com/like-a-dragon-gaiden-the-man-who-erased-his-name-multi-language/13/70fq05

Edited by Galserik
  • Like 3

For people who play with the dub on this on steam this is posted "English voice will be implemented in a post-launch patch distribution" so english VA will not be there at launch most likely wont affect me because i play these games subbed when I can but thought i point it out for people who are affected by this 

28 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

For people who play with the dub on this on steam this is posted "English voice will be implemented in a post-launch patch distribution" so english VA will not be there at launch most likely wont affect me because i play these games subbed when I can but thought i point it out for people who are affected by this 

Yeah ill import the physical but as usual play with eng Sub. Yakuza games were meant to be played in Japanese :P

• Like 2