Words and phrases that you hate...

Dreakon139

• Fanboy - If you say you like something people throw this at you.

No offence but... - Expect to be offended.

Gay - Because you can't say something is bad, you gotta say it's gay. 

> - I dunno why but whenever someone starts a sentece with a > i get annoyed. They say it's how you used to "quote" in e-mails but no, this is how you write something in 4chan.

Things written in japanese - I'm okay with romaji words like "kawaii", "desu", oddly enough this only happens with japanese words, not chinese or arabian... or any language that doesn't use roman letters.

Based - This is the new word for "swag", i think. It's not as annoying but it makes no sense.

Unfortunately - Because i can never write this right, i hate this word...

Edited by Sakura

-Swag

-YOLO

-Ghetto (When used as an adjective. I'm fine if it's used correctly as a NOUN)

-Weeaboo speak (COME AT ME! I DARE YOU!)

-Someone demanding a woman to go to the kitchen "where they belong"/make them a sandwich (make it yourself you lazy ass!)

-The Lyrics to "We Can't Stop" by Miley Cyrus

-The Lyrics to "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke

-The Lyrics to pretty much any song by Nikki Minaj

-That's what she said (not just because to me that it's sexually offensive, but also because it's overused)

EDIT: Forgot to add when you're online and someone says when you are doing badly to "go kill yourself"

Edited by Neptune V-II

A few more I forgot to post earlier;

• Idjit: Basically another way of saying idiot, and it is absolutely annoying to hear, especially when it's said with certain accents (Mainly some British accents, the stereotypical 'southern'.accent, and certain variations of the Australian accent).
  • D'oh!: Yes, Homer Simpson's famous line, and only if said by anyone other than Homer, because 99.99% of the time it is done wrong.
  • Indie game: This just sounds wrong for some reason, and it seems to have developed a rather negative connotation as of late. There are just 2 differences between 'indie' and 'AAA' games, budget & development time.
  • AAA game: What the hell does this even mean? It just sounds a lame attempt at making something sound better than it is.
  • Man-hater/Woman-hater: This is just laziness on a grand scale, why not use the correct terms? For Man-hater it's misandrist and for Woman-hater it's misogynist.
  • Fudging the numbers: Why sugar-coat (pun not intended :facepalm: ) this instead of just saying that you tampered with the statistics?
  • Monkeying around: I hate this phrase the most when parents use it to describe their out-of-control child's behaviour, I've seen young monkeys at the zoo behave better than most children.
  • Sick as a dog: This phrase annoys me for three reasons, first why is it always dogs? Secondly, it doesn't make sense at all, and lastly, it's an insult to dogs.
  • Sick puppy: Whoever thought of using such a cute animal to describe someone who is mentally unstable or disturbed must've had themselves in mind when they came up with it, because it makes absolutely no sense.
  • Sick: When used in the appropriate manner (feeling ill, disgusting, etc.), I'm okay with it, but when it's used in a positive manner, it just seems extremely nonsensical and moronic.
  • Mispronouncing tunes as toons: It isn't that hard to get right, seriously  :facepalm: .
  • Referring to firecrackers as crackers: This annoys me to no end, one is a low-yield explosive, the other is a dry, crispy snack, they can't be any more different  :rolleyes: .
  • Extremely frequent mispronunciation of any language: This just gets annoying, it's fine if you're just starting to learn the language, but if you're frequently butchering one you know well or your native tongue, you've lost your right to speak in my opinion.
  • Using your instead of you're or vice versa: I'm very picky about people's spelling, sure they sound the same if spoken, but they are spelt DIFFERENTLY and have different meanings.
  • Persons: I don't give a damn whether this is acceptable english or not, the plural for person is people, not persons.
  • Using dam instead of damn or vice versa: I don't know how so many people get this wrong either, same as my problem with your and you're.
  • Baby talk: Oh dear god, this pisses me off like nothing else, between the high-pitched tone that is used as well as the constant butchering of words, I don't know what to hate more.
  • Talk to the hand: This is just a very annoying phrase in my opinion, why not just tell the person to shut up rather than letting than rant on?
  • Jiggle physics: I just want to hit the person who came up with this, it sounds moronic & childish.

I'll leave it there for now, that's more than enough...

If you want a tl;dr version, too bad

Edited by Blanc
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There's not much lingo that bothers me but it really riles me up when anime fans use random Japanese words in sentences because watching anime makes you a master of Japan apparently. "She looks so kawaii!" (when used seriously, even I use it jokingly sometimes), "Ara?  What do you mean?" or "Sasuga, I knew you could do it!".   :rolleyes:  Jesus, it makes me cringe to the high heavens.  You're not Japanese and never will be.  I'd like to see you formulate an actual Japanese sentence using correct grammar instead of throwing random Japanese words into your English and see if your weaboo knowledge will save you then!!   :angry:

Edited by Kashiyuka
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

eihongo is kakko-ii yo...英本語かっこいいよ~!!!。。。樫ゆかさん何で怒っているの?...annoying enough?...and apologies, the only kashi "kanji" i know for names is like in 樫山...yuka has many variants so no guessing...my words:

irregardless - you do know we already have a word for that, right?...regardless is fine as is...

innit - adding innit just sounds silly...that's a cat, innit?...yep, it is...and this is a gat, innit?...

(pronunciation of) nuclear - alright the pronunciation of zoology is tricky, but nu-q-lar...just say atomic or nuke or something else...

any stupid parent sayings get on my nerves too - just do it because i said so...when you grow up... ...i've had it up to here...any sentence ending in "child" when talking to their kids...so many stupid lazy ways to play "the parent role"...

grommet - why do tarps have f**king grommets...such an ugly word...

disgruntled - who says that?...i was disgrunted because the grommet on my tarp came loose...bang!...one less nerdy camper...

Some things I hate:

I hate people communicating mostly through memes, you assholes are the worst. Can't you think for yourself?

I hate weeaboos speaking Japanese words to people who don't. You're ridiculous.

I hate when people correct my sentences and typos. I didn't choose English to be spoken universally so fuck you.

Some phrases I hate:

God bless you

Best game ever

Game of the year

Quote of the day

(You) hippie

(You) vegan

That's gay

Edited by hyakulegger
  • Like 1

"Lit"

"Dope" 

"YOLO"

"Swag"

"I could care less"

"For all intensive purposes"

"Bae"

"Make America great again"

"I enjoyed BvS Dawn of Justice"

"Gay" (when used instead of "stupid")

"SMH"

"Go Patriots!"

I hate people communicating mostly through memes, you assholes are the worst. Can't you think for yourself?

nope.jpg

• Like 2

I pretty much hate all the slang/terms kids are starting to use these days. It isn't just swag and yolo anymore, there's so much more. X_X

don't want to go into detail about it. >_<

That's what she said. :awesome:

"Blank friend requests will be ignored"

I hate that one  :S

Late quotes but I hate that too! Makes the person look so snobby, lol. For a while I had "Blank friend requests will be accepted" in my signature. :P

• Like 1

Beast Mode - I work at a fitness center, and have heard this used unironically

catch feelings - glorifies sociopathy, and is typically used by douche bags

get it in - can mean a few different things, so it confuses me when people use it in conversation

on fleek - I don't give a shit about your eyebrows

"Dicks out for Harambe." (A Gorilla that got shot after a child fell into his exhibit at a zoo) - I don't know where this phrase even came from but I am tired of the jokes and memes, it just seems never ending and every day I see the same old copy and paste jokes.

Any stupid phrases from the tv show The Only Way Is Essex like "Oh shut up" which is said like oh shat upp and "Reem" I didn't know what the f that one even means...

"Cheer up it might never happen." - Really? What response is that person expecting? "Oh my goodness, you're right! Thank you kind Sir/Madam!"

"Oh he/she is so cute I just want to eat them all up!" I hear people say this when looking at babies and just think uh what?!

C*** (it rhymes with runt and I hate it)
Bae
On Fleek

Slit
Juicy (I don't know why but it has always sounded gross to me).

• Like 1

"Dicks out for Harambe." (A Gorilla that got shot after a child fell into his exhibit at a zoo) - I don't know where this phrase even came from but I am tired of the jokes and memes, it just seems never ending and every day I see the same old copy and paste jokes.

Any stupid phrases from the tv show The Only Way Is Essex like "Oh shut up" which is said like oh shat upp and "Reem" I didn't know what the f that one even means...

"Cheer up it might never happen." - Really? What response is that person expecting? "Oh my goodness, you're right! Thank you kind Sir/Madam!"

"Oh he/she is so cute I just want to eat them all up!" I hear people say this when looking at babies and just think uh what?!

C*** (it rhymes with runt and I hate it)

Bae

On Fleek

Slit

Juicy (I don't know why but it has always sounded gross to me).

I totally agree with your list, especially the 4th choice. Seems pretty odd to use that phrase to me. xD