Words and phrases that you hate...

Dreakon139

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

When someone is talking about the weather and they say something like "Well you know, if you don't like the weather in [whatever state you live in] just wait five minutes and it'll change harharhar." I've been around, trust me, it's not just your state, it's everywhere, it's weather.

• Like 1

Sweet merciful Buddha, where do I even begin with such a topic? There are so many things I find peculiar, annoying and just downright moronic about the modern standard of English amongst its native speakers. Now, I'm no Shakespeare by any means, but I can at least say I understand the grammatical rules and norms of my first language, and can express myself correctly and without causing confusion. Is it just general laziness that derives from people's expectation that everyone speaks English, or is it just a genuine lack of literary knowledge? I vehemently believe that if you want to put your opinion across, at least think about how you're constructing your argument or said opinion, and at the very least make sure it's comprehensible; it doesn't take that much of an effort in all honesty.

If I had to throw an example of one phrase or word that's woefully thrown around incorrectly by others then I'd have to say the use of the following: They're, there, their and theirs. It's insane how many people actually don't know the difference between them, or aren't arsed to think about whether or not they're using them correctly. I could rant all day...

• Like 3

They're, there, their and theirs.

How about to, too, and two? One of my best buddies makes that mistake all the time and I rag on him every time I catch it.

IMHO.

What do you mean honest opinion? It should always be honest, you don't need to tell us it's honest.

How about taking this the next step? Obviously its their opinion, and obviously its honest. IMO is just as moronic as IMHO.

"Fair" gets on my nerves, because the person who is using "fair" when they apply it to something rarely wants what is fair -- they want their way and not getting their way is "unfair". Not just in the political sense (where "they need to pay their fair share" means "they need to pay more so I/we don't have to pay anything at all"), although that's the most obnoxious example I can come up with. People who are unqualified for a job complain that it isn't "fair" they don't get the job. People who get the short end of the stick complain that life isn't "fair", even if the reason they're getting dumped upon is entirely of their own creation. It's the entitlement society at work, in my opinion.

My other pet peeve (in this topic) is when an alleged crime is committed, and the family of the victims demands "justice" (most often in the case of a murder). Ninety-nine times out of a hundred they don't want justice, they want vengeance. They (or their relation) were wronged, and somebody must pay to set things right. It often leads to mountains being made out of molehills and rushes to judgment before all the facts are known. The facts are irrelevant, but their little angel couldn't possibly have done anything wrong and therefore someone else must be found to be blamed and punished.

How about taking this the next step? Obviously its their opinion, and obviously its honest. IMO is just as moronic as IMHO.

Even though I agree with you wholeheartedly, I often find IMO (especially on forums!) is a safety option that I use. This is mainly due to idiots thinking that if you state your opinion, then you expect everyone to agree with it.

Cuts out 35% of trolling / flaming*

*Another of AF's completely made up statistics.

• Like 1

Even though I agree with you wholeheartedly, I often find IMO (especially on forums!) is a safety option that I use. This is mainly due to idiots thinking that if you state your opinion, then you expect everyone to agree with it.

Cuts out 35% of trolling / flaming*

*Another of AF's completely made up statistics.

I use IMO all the time for that exact reason! :P Also, your statistics are pretty close to deadon, but "IMO" (see what I just did??? ;) ) you may have lowballed it by a tad.

• 1 month later...

What about:

"Your not doing anything" or "There are lots of people who have it worse than you"

I know it may sound pathetic to complain about these but the first one is almost always said while you're already helping someone who isn't doing something them self and as for the second I know there are people who have it worse but that doesn't make it right to use that as a way to dodge my small complaint.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'd have to say these words & phrases grate on my nerves;

"Get a life", mostly because this one seems so redundant, how can you get something you already have and can only have 1 of.

"n00b", if people are going to insult me online, how about using real words, not a sequence of letters and numbers made to look like a word, it looks lazy and makes the person sending the message seem less intelligent.

"Spammer", this one only annoys me because I get accused of being a spammer by practically every sore loser I beat (if a sore loser doesn't call me a spammer, they tend to resort to more colourful language)

"Getting on my nerves", this is another one that I think makes no sense, since it's used to describe something as annoying, yet if something literally did get on your nerves (not counting your own skin or muscle of course), it would be excruciatingly painful.

• Like 2

Ι hate the relatively recent "Stahp" WTF is this?????

I also hate when someone uses the word "lol" on every sentence they write.

Like:

"I just ate my fries. Lol"

"You should play Uncharted 3. It's a great game lol"

"I laughed so hard on this movie. lol"

For god's sake... GTFO....

• Like 2

• 1 year later...