Should Shovelware Be Worth Zero Points?

Shovelware Zero Points  

606 members have voted

1. 1. Should All Games Marked As Shovelware Have A Vaule Of Zero Points?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Alternatives

• I Voted Yes But Prefer Alt - Rarity Leaderboard
    • I Voted No And Want Alt - Rarity Leaderboard
    • No Alternative
  3. 3. If A Rarity Leaderboard Happened, What Cut Off Percentage?

• 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%

Just now, AMadScotsGuy said:

I'm pretty confident most kids think jumping food games are trash, and question if they are actually are games.

All it takes is a fraction of a fraction and you have an audience for your game.

We must have games that pander to all skill levels after all. 

32 minutes ago, ahmedelebiary said:

Don't take away my Mayo points, please ?

Neither my Little Adventure on the Prairie:(

Damn it all feels so long ago when I bought that "game" I had no idea that easy platinums were a market, it was an honest mistake (?)

Just now, AJ_Radio said:

I honestly hope you're just pulling my leg and not actually being serious about this.

Little bit of both to be honest. I'm simply bringing the logical conclusion to the very real problem we've been seeing over the last 20 years with gaming accessibility. You enjoy your rants, I enjoy mockery. 

4 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The thing is, Sony decides the trophy values, and unless Sony makes the changes, any change on PSNP that is pushed for is a deviation that refelects the mindset of those who want exactly that change. It is that mindset behind that that rubs me the wrong way.

So, do you also oppose the leaderboard disallowing trophies earned by loading save files? Sony certainly doesn't care.

The fact is, Sony is allowed to define trophy points, and this site is allowed to make decisions for its own leaderboard.

• Like 4

Just now, Sunnyburrito said:

Neither my Little Adventure on the Prairie:(

Damn it all feels so long ago when I bought that "game" I had no idea that easy platinums were a market, it was an honest mistake (?)

Gosh, I heard that game is terrible.. on par with Orc Slayer ? Have played neither just judging by reviews. However, can't best the worst game I've ever played, AKA Whitetail Challenge (PS3) 

Just now, VigilantCrow said:

Little bit of both to be honest. I'm simply bringing the logical conclusion to the very real problem we've been seeing over the last 20 years with gaming accessibility. You enjoy your rants, I enjoy mockery. 

That's longer than some of these people here have been alive.

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

So, do you also oppose the leaderboard disallowing trophies earned by loading save files? Sony certainly doesn't care.

The fact is, Sony is allowed to define trophy points, and this site is allowed to make decisions for its own leaderboard.

I don't care about any leaderboard. What I care about is the mindset of the userbase of this site, because the userbase is the deciding factor on how I use this site now and in future. I would be very happy if this site did not have a leaderboard and be more like giant databse for games, but I know that's not going to happen. So at least I speak up when I find certain things unpleasent. Again, I am in the minority, but it's still a message board, even if people boo one off the stage quickly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

All it takes is a fraction of a fraction and you have an audience for your game.

We must have games that pander to all skill levels after all. 

So in opposing shovelware we are now literally saving the children. A higher moral ground has been found to eliminate them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

This is a good point. This leaderboard is better than an "official" Sony leaderboard because hacked/cheated trophies are excluded, so it's not like we're looking at raw data here anyway. Why not further improve things by removing the shovelware titles from the score?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I don't care about any leaderboard.

Then why post in the thread? This entire thread is about psnp's leaderboard. 

3 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

So at least I speak up when I find certain things unpleasent. 

No one denies you that right. But your recent posts seem to be more, "Everyone here is a jerk but me!" 

Reasonable minds can disagree on the value of trophies, leaderboards, etc. That doesn't mean they cease to be reasonable.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Guys, let's chill a bit. The normal leaderboard is not going to change. If anything, there will be a new leaderboard made where they would be worthless so please don't worry about the site becoming elitist or worry about your jars of mayo. 

I think a better discussion here would be if you wanted the rarity leaderboard to include these at all or where the cutoff would be for that specifically.  I'd get out of the mindset that shovelware will be removed from the normal boards.

Poll updated with follow on question.

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Then why post in the thread? This entire thread is about psnp's leaderboard.

I told you. I care about the attitude behind this because it affects the atmosphere in this forum, alone because every third day, the discusiion starts anew in one of the endless "new" threads about this.

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

No one denies you that right. But your recent posts seem to be more, "Everyone here is a jerk but me!" 

Reasonable minds can disagree on the value of trophies, leaderboards, etc. That doesn't mean they cease to be reasonable.

I adjusted to the gereal tone of the shovelware discussion. My fault, but I am not alone in this.

1 minute ago, Elegy said:

I largely agree.

I do think that lessening the incentives to buy "press x for trophies" games on leaderboard sites such as this would lessen the amount of people supporting this nonsense.  I think trophies should track achievements earned in gaming and the focus should be kept on gaming.  These "shovelware" games are literally just selling trophies and rewarding you for purchasing the game.  There is no real gaming going on.

I don't really think there is much debate about it being a slippery slope either, because it isn't that hard to look at the statistics to see plats under 5 minutes, 90+% completion rate and low effort thumbnails/game names.  Most of the people arguing its a slippery slope or trying to over complicate the issue have profiles with mountains of these games and 1000+ plats.  I, personally, don't think it is elitist to have some standards.  Leaderboards are inherently competitive and you have to have some rules/regulations and standards around things or it just becomes a race to the bottom.  Sports and competition in real life have rules/regulations and you aren't allowed to cheat or use enhancing drugs and that sort of thing precisely because it lowers the bar too much.  Objectively, trophy hunting as a competition for leaderboards has never been more absurd, pointless and rewarding for the wrong things than it is right now.  I don't even bother looking at profiles anymore if I see these shovelware games on them.  People are allowed to spend their money and time however they please, but there is no requirement for leaderboard sites to reward them for it or for the community to respect it.

I don't really care about my leaderboard position as it will not affect the games I choose to play and complete in any way whatsoever, but it is pretty obvious that a lot of people in the community are feeling disenfranchised with trophy hunting because there are no standards anymore.

Agree 100%. It's difficult to see this rationally at this point because many of us are disenfranchised.

Transformation to UR leaderboard discussion complete. With the debate if shovelware should be worth 0 points being silently put under the rug there's a poll where to set the cut now, like shovelware was the sedgway, lets devalue more games now. A cut at 20 percent rarity, even at 30 and 40 (as the poll offers to vote for that) devalues games that are actually good and enjoyable, while it still leaves room for manipulation (someone with multiple accounts can raise or lower the percentage), games that are far away from EZPZ territory.

And it changes nothing - whoever invests more money and makes better choices at picking the game will have an edge. Except now it needs less games for more money. People with a PSVR will love that leaderboard.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ahmedelebiary said:

Gosh, I heard that game is terrible.. on par with Orc Slayer ? Have played neither just judging by reviews. However, can't best the worst game I've ever played, AKA Whitetail Challenge (PS3) 

Orc Slayer was a game at least, a bad one but a game, Little Adventure felt like an unfinished teenager school project......damn the original trash <almost> feels nostalgic.

Edited by Sunnyburrito

Look I'm not super active on this forum, but you won't get anything done if people don't start respecting each others points of view on the subject, and start adding vaule to proceedings that Sly can work from.

No website dev who runs a community service is going to make any meaningful changes ultil they are confident they will be broadly accepted by the community.

Until then a good dev stays publicly silent because to start the conversation themselves risks people thinking something is wrong with the website, or they are indeed going to 100% be carrying a significant change. You have to protect your product and service.

Thus, because of that, and until such time when discussion becomes meaningful as to warrant becoming anything material; the website is flawless, perfect.

3 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

And it changes nothing - whoever invests more money and makes better choices at picking the game will have an edge. Except now it needs less games for more money. People with a PSVR will love that leaderboard.

You'd have your exceptions that are too rare like old PS Plus games and VR games, but there are far less of those than the thousands of shovelware games with >95% platinum rarity. And as people seek out those games for easy points, they become more common and therefore worth less points.