VGP is reprinting copies of the game

DesmaBR

13 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I'm glad a valuable game is getting a reprint, but I'm really confused why it's going for so much. It's still available on PSN and goes on sale for less than $30 pretty regularly.

That's pretty simple. There are always collectors who want to have the physical thing over just a digital copy of something they like. 

Same with buying a collectors edition, going for DVDs (or Blu-Rays) over just streaming/downloading, or CDs / LPs for music. 
It's about really owning it, being able to interact, to showcase it.

If someone just wants to play the game, they'll take the digital version during a discount. But if they want to put a physical copy into their collection, they are willing to pay more. To them it is worth it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jjos said:

That's pretty simple. There are always collectors who want to have the physical thing over just a digital copy of something they like. 

Same with buying a collectors edition, going for DVDs (or Blu-Rays) over just streaming/downloading, or CDs / LPs for music. 

If someone just wants to play the game, they'll take the digital version during a discount. But if they want to put a physical copy into their collection, they are willing to pay more. To them it is worth it.

If that's all it was, most physical games would be this expensive then. Yet, as far as I know, this is the only case of something being this expensive on PS4, without a delisting. Most physical games tend to be cheaper than on PSN, given there isn't a sale going on. Even then, the physical versions tend to be about the same price as the sale price. That's not to mention that even most PS2/PS3/even older games aren't this expensive. So something else has to be at play here.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jasondm300 said:

IT still makes me laugh how much this game goes for.  I picked up a used copy CIB years ago for about $10.  It was at most an ok game

Game quality isn’t always that important when it comes to high resale value.  Take Godzilla for example, although that at least is delisted and a  world famous IP.

3 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

If that's all it was, most physical games would be this expensive then. Yet, as far as I know, this is the only case of something being this expensive on PS4, without a delisting. Most physical games tend to be cheaper than on PSN, given there isn't a sale going on. Even then, the physical versions tend to be about the same price as the sale price. That's not to mention that even most PS2/PS3/even older games aren't this expensive. So something else has to be at play here.

I guess its because the series started picking up in popularity with the release of the sequel and anime(which isn't an adaptation rather then a canonical midquel set between the 2 games) which makes people want to seek out the 1st game. Plus koei tecmo are almost as bad as nintendo in not dropping prices on thier games digitaly, decade old atelier games are still being sold for 30$ on the cheap end during psn sales. Not to mention blue reflection is a niche game so they printed significantly less copies then say nioh. Atlus and nis games back in the day were notorious for this practice(disgaea 1 and smt nocturne famously went for over 100$ back in the ps2 days before rereleases and reprints significantly plumited the value of both games)

2 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

I guess its because the series started picking up in popularity with the release of the sequel and anime(which isn't an adaptation rather then a canonical midquel set between the 2 games) which makes people want to seek out the 1st game. Plus koei tecmo are almost as bad as nintendo in not dropping prices on thier games digitaly, decade old atelier games are still being sold for 30$ on the cheap end during psn sales. Not to mention blue reflection is a niche game so they printed significantly less copies then say nioh. Atlus and nis games back in the day were notorious for this practice(disgaea 1 and smt nocturne famously went for over 100$ back in the ps2 days before rereleases and reprints significantly plumited the value of both games)

I mean, you could say basically the same thing about a lot of games in this same sort of genre of AA anime games. Yet none of them are this expensive. Most of them are actually pretty cheap. Being niche usually means not many people want it, and rarity very rarely equates to value. It's always some other factor. I have lots of incredibly rare things, but they aren't valuable. So that doesn't really make sense here.

Not going on sale digitally as a reason for a physical copy to be more expensive also makes no sense. Even at a full $60, that's still significantly cheaper than ~$200. Why would someone pay ~$200 just because they would have to pay $60 otherwise? That doesn't make any sense. $30 is also a pretty decent discount, especially compared to ~$200. This game was put on sale for a little less than that many times since it's release too. So someone paying ~$200 for something because $30 wasn't enough of a discount really doesn't make sense either.

It's also not like this is some cult gem that everyone wants. It's certainly nowhere near the level of something like the examples you used, Disgaea or Shin Megami Tensei. It's more on the level of something like Senran Kagura or Neptunia, if anything.
PS2 games are also a bad comparison when trying to explain this situation. It made perfect sense for them to be so valuable, because that was the only way to play them. But that's not the case here. You can very easily just go buy it right now.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that sets this apart from other releases, and the possible reason it's so expensive is because the disc version is uncensored, because it was censored for the west through a day 1 patch. You apparently get to see panties in a couple of scenes in the unpatched version. I guess that's worth an extra $140 to some people. I'm not sure why they don't just unpatch it or use the internet like everyone else, but that's my best guess as to what's going on.

9 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I mean, you could say basically the same thing about a lot of games in this same sort of genre of AA anime games. Yet none of them are this expensive. Most of them are actually pretty cheap. Being niche usually means not many people want it, and rarity very rarely equates to value. It's always some other factor. I have lots of incredibly rare things, but they aren't valuable. So that doesn't really make sense here.

Not going on sale digitally as a reason for a physical copy to be more expensive also makes no sense. Even at a full $60, that's still significantly cheaper than ~$200. Why would someone pay ~$200 just because they would have to pay $60 otherwise? That doesn't make any sense. $30 is also a pretty decent discount, especially compared to ~$200. This game was put on sale for a little less than that many times since it's release too. So someone paying ~$200 for something because $30 wasn't enough of a discount really doesn't make sense either.

It's also not like this is some cult gem that everyone wants. It's certainly nowhere near the level of something like the examples you used, Disgaea or Shin Megami Tensei. It's more on the level of something like Senran Kagura or Neptunia, if anything.
PS2 games are also a bad comparison when trying to explain this situation. It made perfect sense for them to be so valuable, because that was the only way to play them. But that's not the case here. You can very easily just go buy it right now.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that sets this apart from other releases, and the possible reason it's so expensive is because the disc version is uncensored, because it was censored for the west through a day 1 patch. You apparently get to see panties in a couple of scenes in the unpatched version. I guess that's worth an extra $140 to some people. I'm not sure why they don't just unpatch it or use the internet like everyone else, but that's my best guess as to what's going on.

It's the model viewer that was censored, by the devs removing one of the camera angles from it.

sold out within 30min but managed 2 copies.

They'll have more at a later date. Berserk Band of the Hawk is still available with them.

23 hours ago, Jjos said:

Basically this. Ill play it if it ever goes on sale digital. Second Reflection i managed to get used for 16$ 

Well, that didn't take long...

New "preorder" listings are already up on ebay ranging from $100 to $200.

They should've limited the number of copies to one per customer instead of two. What's the point of a reprint if it's gonna get scalped anyway?

I'll try my luck next time, if there's one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickr_ said:

Well, that didn't take long...

New "preorder" listings are already up on ebay ranging from $100 to $200.

They should've limited the number of copies to one per customer instead of two. What's the point of a reprint if it's gonna get scalped anyway?

I'll try my luck next time, if there's one.

They said they will try

Screenshot_20230105_121825_Twitter.jpg

they are also working on securing another inventory of games. Based off a tweet from before this went live.

Edited by Infected Elite

On 04/01/2023 at 10:40 AM, DEI2EK said:

They’ve been reprinting quite a few KT games lately. 
Attack on Titan 2, Blue Reflection and Berserk

Maybe they have a KT contact or something

I asked them. Yes they do. They have distribution deals and partnerships with quite a few developers, KT being one.