King Hrólf & Gná

Jermster_91

As it stands, those are the last two mini bosses that I have to defeat before I can get the platinum. Yet everything I try, doesn't seem to work.

I am playing on Story Mode, have the Miniboss Checkpoint turned On and the Superior Resurrection Stone yet despite being able to knock their health to 50%, I can never finish the job. I have gotten withing 2 health blocks for King Hrólf and 3 health blocks for Gná. Half the time, I am just spamming R1 or R2 with the occasional blocking and dashing just to put as much as damage on them but having no real success. 

Any tips, suggestions, or anything that will make these fights significantly easier would be appreciated. 

Gna was just a copy paste of the Valkyrie Queen but far easier in my opinion. I managed to beat her in 2 tries on Give Me Story but that was after 2-3 hours on King Hrolf. He was my true hurdle in this game. 

I used the miniboss checkpoint as well but the dude has a ginormous health pool. Sadly, the best advice I can offer is to learn his moves inside and out, the longer you can go without utilizing your stone the less perfect you need to be if you have to use it. Also, I personally used the Rage Stone, when I got close to death I would go rage mode (the original one) and pummel him to get my health back up, basically putting off using the stone for as long as I could. Don't use rage when he has an elemental shield!

It goes without saying, if you're weapons and armor are not already at max level get them to max.

Last thing I can suggest is to check out Optinooby's video guides for Ragnarok, he might have an ace for you. Good luck!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jermster_91 said:

If there was a glitch, I am 80% sure it would have been patched.

Got the Trophy for defeating Gná.  Thanks!

7 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Gna was just a copy paste of the Valkyrie Queen but far easier in my opinion. I managed to beat her in 2 tries on Give Me Story but that was after 2-3 hours on King Hrolf. He was my true hurdle in this game. 

I used the miniboss checkpoint as well but the dude has a ginormous health pool. Sadly, the best advice I can offer is to learn his moves inside and out, the longer you can go without utilizing your stone the less perfect you need to be if you have to use it. Also, I personally used the Rage Stone, when I got close to death I would go rage mode (the original one) and pummel him to get my health back up, basically putting off using the stone for as long as I could. Don't use rage when he has an elemental shield!

It goes without saying, if you're weapons and armor are not already at max level get them to max.

Last thing I can suggest is to check out Optinooby's video guides for Ragnarok, he might have an ace for you. Good luck!

Never fought any of the Valkyries in the first God of War. Thought the story was a little on the boring side when I played it. However after playing Ragnarök, I might go back and finish God of War for the Platinum.  

The opening volley makes a big difference. For both I would launch both my spear runic attacks while having Freya do her summon. I would then close and do all four chaos blade and are runic attacks. Starting at half health, that gets them down to about three bars remaining at gear level 9.

From there us was a lot of dodging and long range spear attacks when I was able between dodges. I did that until the runic attacks cooled down and repeated the opening volley strategy.

When my health inevitably got low I would do a Spartan Rage to refill it. I also used the rage resurrection stone, not superior.

I wore the raven set for some modicum of healing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

Same. Took me about 15 minutes on normal difficulty to beat her, possibly less, and without any accessibility assists, but that was after the real boss in the game which is the King and he's every bit as annoying as people say. Really not sure how people are struggling against Gna other than perhaps having a poor loadout and being too low level.

57 minutes ago, Jermster_91 said:

Never fought any of the Valkyries in the first God of War. Thought the story was a little on the boring side when I played it. However after playing Ragnarök, I might go back and finish God of War for the Platinum.  

The beauty of the Valkyrie and Berserker fights is that each battle with one teaches you how to beat a different set of moves, then in the final battle against the Queen/ King all the moves are present but you should know what to do to counter each move. It's tough as nails even on the lowest difficulties but if you can beat the King you can beat the Queen from 2018 IMO. Get them plats, BOY!

Must have gotten lucky because I found Hrolf easier than Gná, took me three tries to take him down as opposed to 5 with Gná. But I suck at games and my methods are wild and erratic so I succeed by dumb luck most of the time ?

5 hours ago, Stan Lee said:

Must have gotten lucky because I found Hrolf easier than Gná, took me three tries to take him down as opposed to 5 with Gná. But I suck at games and my methods are wild and erratic so I succeed by dumb luck most of the time 1f605.png

Lowest I have gotten Hrolf is to half a health bar, and that is while playing the Easiest Difficult, having mini boss checkpoints turned on and a resurrection stone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.1.2023 at 3:16 AM, TheLoneliestPanda said:

I came across this video earlier, maybe you could use this as a last resort. 

Not completely sure if it'll pop the trophy using this method however.

Glitch works and trophy popped just fine. Puh. :)

On 9.1.2023 at 3:22 AM, Jermster_91 said:

If there was a glitch, I am 80% sure it would have been patched.

I just used it, it's not patched. Took me couple of times to make her freeze. When the camera angle is not right when you climb down, she will instead jump after you and get stuck below in the canyon. You cannot shoot her down there from the arena. Maybe 7 or 8 reloads and I got it right. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 11:02 PM, da-Noob123 said:

The beauty of the Valkyrie and Berserker fights is that each battle with one teaches you how to beat a different set of moves, then in the final battle against the Queen/ King all the moves are present but you should know what to do to counter each move. It's tough as nails even on the lowest difficulties but if you can beat the King you can beat the Queen from 2018 IMO. Get them plats, BOY!

To be honest i think this is a very cheap way of implementing a boss fight. 

1 hour ago, Maverick6146 said:

To be honest i think this is a very cheap way of implementing a boss fight. 

Perhaps, but at least you don't need to learn an entirely new set of moves against 2 very difficult bosses. I like to think that the King/ Queen taught their underlings these moves which is why they utilize them all.

• 2 months later...

These 2 boss fights are utterly fucking ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's the goddamn balance here?! It's nonexistant! I'm on the easiest setting with checkpoints enabled, have everything fully upgraded, at the highest level you can be and they just fucking annihilate me like I'm some level 1 nobody. Jesus christ I'd absolutely hate to see what this is like on any other difficulty. 

1 hour ago, KyonKuchiki said:

Lunda's Armor Set and having Vanaheim Perk set on the amulet. I used that in my fight against both bosses. Here's the video capture I did of taking down Gna with the poison fists.

Lunda's armor set is great against both Gná and Hrólf even on Give Me God of War. Never took it off.