RPG Mania 2023 - The Octo-Path to Redemption

8 hours ago, vividamage123 said:

Thanks for adding me, super excited. Its my first competition so a few questions. Do we report when we get platinum's or is someone tracking? Is there a deadline for the double and triple points? 

I was actually going to ask a similar question: 

Do we need to announce our x2/x3 before the start of the event, or can we announce it when we post it here saying it's finished or even after-the-fact? If we decide to change, can this be amended at any point of time, even if the bonus is already applied?

I think the expectation is that we would announce all finished games here for them to count and the admin of the event will do the calcs and enter it in their spreadsheet linked in the OP.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vividamage123 said:

Thanks for adding me, super excited. Its my first competition so a few questions. Do we report when we get platinum's or is someone tracking? Is there a deadline for the double and triple points? 

It's greatly preferred that you announce completion in these spaces yourself, complete with scoring.  If you're not sure how to tabulate the scoring, we're glad to help out.

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Do we need to announce our x2/x3 before the start of the event, or can we announce it when we post it here sayingit'sfinished or even after-the-fact? If we decide to change, can this be amended at any point of time, even if the bonus is already applied?

It's greatly preferred that you announce those games ahead of time.  There's latitude to make a switch, if necessary -- details are in the scoring rules of the OP.

2 hours ago, acasser said:

It's greatly preferred that you announce completion in these spaces yourself, complete with scoring.  If you're not sure how to tabulate the scoring, we're glad to help out.

It's greatly preferred that you announce those games ahead of time.  There's latitude to make a switch, if necessary -- details are in the scoring rules of the OP.

If that's the case, I'll go ahead and announce my intentions for doubles and triples because I'm not really in it to win it and doing it this way will ensure my last place finish. ;) But in all seriousness, these are the RPGs I look forward to playing most this year.

Persona 3 Portable | PS4 (x2)

Persona 4 Golden | PS4 (x3)

Tales of Arise | PS4 (x2)

Almost wanted to put Mary Skelter Finale instead of Tales of Arise, but eh... maybe I can give myself a layup since Tales of Arise is supposed to be a pretty easy plat. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 0:02 PM, acasser said:

Kemco RPGs FTW!

Speaking from someone who has done a Kemco month on a few occasions and played nothing but Kemco for that month each time I will say don't play too many in a row, sure there are some good Kemco games but after game number 10 in a row it really starts to hurt the mind.

18 hours ago, vividamage123 said:

Yes, posting in here to show what you have completed and I add it to the spreadsheet. 

Preferably before the season starts so that you have some games you really want to complete.

17 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Do we need to announce our x2/x3 before the start of the event, or can we announce it when we post it here saying it's finished or even after-the-fact? If we decide to change, can this be amended at any point of time, even if the bonus is already applied?

I think the expectation is that we would announce all finished games here for them to count and the admin of the event will do the calcs and enter it in their spreadsheet linked in the OP.

Yes please regarding 2x and 3x games. Preferably before the season starts. You can make one change to each game throughout the season. I like to have the games planned out a little so that you don't just tack on the 2x or 3x bonus when you finish a game.

Yes, if you finish a game that counts, I will have an easy to use formula you can copy and paste to make counting scores easier.

4 hours ago, DEI2EK said:

Guess I should plan some games out instead and try and figure out what I want my 2x and 3x to be

I’ll make it easy and choose

Trails of Azure and Nayuta Boundless Trails as my 2x games and Trails of Reverie as my 3x game

As for what games I intend to play, your guess is as good as mine right now. The backlog is endless.

I guess I'll go ahead and lock in my triple point game as Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak and my double points as Monster Hunter Rise and Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland. There's still no guarantee that Sunbreak will have its own trophy list, but I can always swap it out if necessary.

16 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

If that's the case, I'll go ahead and announce my intentions for doubles and triples because I'm not really in it to win it and doing it this way will ensure my last place finish. ;) But in all seriousness, these are the RPGs I look forward to playing most this year.

Persona 3 Portable | PS4 (x2)

Persona 4 Golden | PS4 (x3)

Tales of Arise | PS4 (x2)

Almost wanted to put Mary Skelter Finale instead of Tales of Arise, but eh... maybe I can give myself a layup since Tales of Arise is supposed to be a pretty easy plat. 

FYI, there's a mistake on my x2 game on the spreadsheet. It says Trails of Azure instead of Tales of Arise. 

x2 points games:

.hack GU

Trails of cold steel 2

x3 game:

Conception Plus

Hopefully adding to my bonus games will give me the kick in the pants I need to start playing them. Triple for Conception because it's a 2.99% plat with no guide so I definitely need extra motivation and double for Trails II to get me back into the franchise and rack up those bonus series points.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gundam-J25 said:

x2 points games:

.hack GU

Trails of cold steel 2

x3 game:

Conception Plus

Hopefully adding to my bonus games will give me the kick in the pants I need to start playing them. Triple for Conception because it's a 2.99% plat with no guide so I definitely need extra motivation and double for Trails II to get me back into the franchise and rack up those bonus series points.

good luck i really like it to play rpg games they are enjoyable i have the last persona 5 game left for to play the original rpg is my favorite genre i hope i can have a high score but with the other gamers i dont know how far i going to be with scoring points but at least i have fun playing rpg games

On 3/16/2023 at 9:47 PM, Taruta13 said:

Games I have trophies in:

• Dragon Quest XI S: 87.46 points (5%, 4 bronze)
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age: 93.45 points (7%, 5 bronze)
  • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: 90.34 points (1%, 1 bronze)
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories: 96.32 points (5%, 5 bronze)
  • Disgaea 4 Complete+: 90.15 (x5)
  • Hogwarts Legacy: 68.76

Games I have bought but not started: (0%, 0 trophies)

• Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix: 92.58 points
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance: 91.22 points
  • Kingdom Hearts III: 82.08 points
  • Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom: 77.84 points
  • Persona 3 Portable: 92.85 points
  • Persona 4 Golden: 93.39 points (x3)
  • Rogue Galaxy: 94.42 points
  • Death end re;Quest: 82.65 points (x2)
  • Death end re;Quest 2: 74.84 points (x2)

Games I have not even bought yet but plan on buying (same as last category in deductions)

• Octopath Traveller II: 92.41 points
  • Wild ARMS 2: 92.27 points
  • Wild ARMS 3: 93.15 points

VERY BAD LIFE DECISIONS :P

• Final Fantasy XIV (PS5): 98.51 points

So I am back from Orlando, got to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and enjoy the stuff, the butterbeer, and the rides while playing Hogwarts Legacy... and I decided to re-introduce it. I foolishly removed it thinking I would be one and done in three hotel nights. Oh, what a sweet summer child I was. :P I only got four bronzes, so I can just stop playing it(and I don't feel like playing it any more this month as I hate the camera controls) until April Fool's Day. To be fair, I was nine hours into the game and spending too much time on sidequests considering that I have to spend 18 hours to get to the map room for that one trophy, and the trash files will be 5 hours each considering how many quests you have to complete and assignments you have to do. I just met the future Nearly Headless Nick and that was my 10th main quest: You need 17 to get the quest to unlock the Map Room. :(

EDIT: Also, didn't help that I zonked out the instant I got back from the park every time because I was too fatigured from walking and the Florida heat to do anything but nap.

EDIT 2: I don't know the difference between Nicholas and Richard. I saw the ghost who got beheaded and saw him put his head back on. Also, found that you get a quest later on where you walk with Nearly Headless Nick. I need to stop presuming I know who is who. :|

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

I was going to put Illusion of L'Phalcia in, but to be honest that game has so few trophies, and it's a KEMCO, so there was no point. I got half of the trophies anyway on the plane trip but decided to start over on the PS4 because the Vita has an issue running KEMCO since my inputs kept getting locked to "press right" all the time which was frustrating when the party walked right into a wall without my input. ?

What do you people think of KEMCO titles? Lame or neat?

Edited by Taruta13

1 hour ago, Taruta13 said:

I was going to put Illusion of L'Phacia in, but to be honest that game has so few trophies, and it's a KEMCO, so there was no point. I got half of the trophies anyway on the plane trip but decided to start over on the PS4 because the Vita has an issue running KEMCO since my inputs kept getting locked to "press right" all the time which was frustrating when the party walked right into a wall without my input. 1f620.png

I feel like Kemco titles are a mixed bag, it has that old school look in some which I don't mind so really it depends on which game but I would say it goes both ways and there nothing too crazy rpg plat wise too.

7 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

KEMCO titles are the "empty calories" of RPGs.  They're functional enough, but they're never going to be masterpieces of game crafting; nor are they going to challenge you overmuch, nor do they have any real replay value.  They make for a nice, quick, easy change-of-pace between other stuff, and they're nice as "stat padding" for competitions like this -- even with the larger "penalty discount" for the high platinum percentages and the difficulty in stacking it with a speed-run bonus, they're still a good value in terms of points divided by time invested.

I have a whole bunch of KEMCO titles as physical releases purchased through LRG.  When my budget allows, I'm perfectly happy to support them in this way.  But I accept them for what they are.

So question @Psy-Tychist in regards to the speedrun points with the PS5 becoming  more common these days and autopops (even partial ones) for games happening more which kinda throw off the time fastest achievers should we incorporate some kind of rule where if your in the % after all the autopops you should qualify to be fair because while I know its a minor thing in terms of points but if 50 out of the 200 platters are autopop in a game you can't win against that since you wouldn't qualify which would be unfair hence why the need to somewhat tweak the rule in some way.

Edited by AlterArchuria
  • Like 2

Okay, I am going to overhaul the list, mainly because I don't feel like doing Death end Re;quest or its sequel. I'll probably save them for next year. For now, I revised the list into waves which will be worked on at leisure once April Fool's Day comes around. I am also going to change my 2x and 3x game declarations just this once. This doesn't mean I will only focus on some of the games: I might hop into World of Final Fantasy a bit in the first period to get some trophies or start work on it. It's just that the majority of my time will be on those three games during that period of time. And yes, World of Final Fantasy is coming back onto the list because I didn't feel like playing it this month. Also forgot to add the first Ni No Kuni and am adding Kingdom Hearts III as well. Removing both Death end Re;quests and Persona 4 Golden for this year. (Still not confident enough to do Hardcore Risette.) As soon as April 3 rolls around and I get my money for the month, I plan on subscribing to Square-Enix for a year and re-downloading FFXIV on my PS5.

WAVE 1: April 1 - May 30

• Ni No Kuni Remastered: 83.19
  • Disgaea 4 Complete+: 90.15 (x5, Most Wanted)
  • Hogwarts Legacy: 68.76 (x2)

WAVE 2: June 1 - July 20

• Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories: 96.32
  • World of Final Fantasy: 70.58
  • Wild Arms 2: 92.27

WAVE 3: July 21 - September 20

• Rogue Galaxy: 94.42
  • Kingdom Hearts III: 82.13
  • Octopath Traveler II (PS5): 86.05

WAVE 4: September 21 - November 15

•  Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: 90.34 (x2)
  •  Ni No Kuni II: 77.84
  •  Wild Arms 3: 93.15

WAVE 5: November 15 - December 31

• Persona 3 Portable: 92.85
  • Dragon Quest XI S: 87.46
  • Final Fantasy XII: 93.45 (x3)

WEAVED INTO THE MIX: Final Fantasy XIV: 98.51 (x5, Most Wanted)

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 6:26 PM, Armored_Oso66 said:

I would like to join again as well and just to keep things simple I'm just going to have Mass Effect 1 and 2 as my double points and ME3 as triple point game.

Maybe I'll get the chance to actually play them this time

Will get you added soon.

On 21/03/2023 at 8:44 PM, Beyondthegrave07 said:

FYI, there's a mistake on my x2 game on the spreadsheet. It says Trails of Azure instead of Tales of Arise. 

I'll get that changed soon.

On 26/03/2023 at 8:34 AM, Laburnski said:

@Psy-Tychist

Btw can i use my other account for one single game that isnt possible to be played on my main account? That game is FF XIV btw because of region thing.

What is this region thing btw?

15 hours ago, AlterArchuria said:

So question @Psy-Tychist in regards to the speedrun points with the PS5 becoming  more common these days and autopops (even partial ones) for games happening more which kinda throw off the time fastest achievers should we incorporate some kind of rule where if your in the % after all the autopops you should qualify to be fair because while I know its a minor thing in terms of points but if 50 out of the 200 platters are autopop in a game you can't win against that since you wouldn't qualify which would be unfair hence why the need to somewhat tweak the rule in some way.

In regards to autopopping, which is rare with RPG's but in the case of FFVII Remake as an example, as long as the game is completed without autopops, when working out fastest achievers you can disregard the autopops and count from the first regular achiever. It make take a little more work to check, but I will add this to the rules for clarity.