Ability to Turn off the DualShock 4′s Light Bar is Coming

Aranea Highwind

dualshock4nicetomeetyou.jpg

People have been asking for it pretty much since the PlayStation 4 launched, and Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Worldwide Studios, has confirmed that the ability to turn off the DualShock 4′s light bar will be coming in a future PS4 firmware update.

This news comes from Geoff Keighley, who tweeted:

Just interviewed [shuhei Yoshida] and he said that upcoming PS4 firmware will let you turn off light bar on controller!

Shuhei has previously denied that this would be happening, but it looks like the feedback from fans has persuaded them to give people the option to turn off the light bar.

It remains to be seen if turning off the light bar will be a feature added in firmware update 1.70 (there was no mention of it), so this could be something we see in an update after 1.70.

Once we hear more information about being able turn off the DualShock 4′s light bar, we’ll be sure to let you know.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/03/20/ability-to-turn-of-the-dualshock-4s-light-bar-coming-future-firmware-update/

• Like 1

I understand the use of it as a controller number indicator, but aside from that, it just poses as a waste of battery life for me. Thus why I'm looking forward to this becoming a possibility.

No, the main use is to track the controller in motion control games. It's no different from the way the PS Move works.

Yessir. Not all games it but there are some that do. The audio logs in Killzone: Shadow Fall play through the speaker in the controller.

Parker

I didn't know this, how is the sound quality? Does it add anything special to the audio?

I couldn't stand the Wii audio, it sounded like an old pinball machine

I didn't know this, how is the sound quality? Does it add anything special to the audio?

I couldn't stand the Wii audio, it sounded like an old pinball machine

The sound quality is actually pretty damn good, the voices were very clear and it didn't seem to be distorted in any way. It actually scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. I was playing Shadow Fall well into the night (I went to the midnight release of the PS4) so my television volume was down pretty far because my wife and son were sleeping, when I picked up my first audio log it blasted through that speaker at what seemed like ear shattering levels as I scrambled to try and cover it up with something.  :lol:

Thankfully you can turn down the speaker volume in the PS4 settings. 

Parker

• Like 1

The sound quality is actually pretty damn good, the voices were very clear and it didn't seem to be distorted in any way. It actually scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. I was playing Shadow Fall well into the night (I went to the midnight release of the PS4) so my television volume was down pretty far because my wife and son were sleeping, when I picked up my first audio log it blasted through that speaker at what seemed like ear shattering levels as I scrambled to try and cover it up with something.  :lol:

Thankfully you can turn down the speaker volume in the PS4 settings. 

Parker

Haha I can imagine, you do not expect something like that when your sitting alone in a room. Sounds like a pretty neat feature though.

The LED light seems pretty bright, isn't it a little distracting if it reflects in your telly?

Haha I can imagine, you do not expect something like that when your sitting alone in a room. Sounds like a pretty neat feature though.

The LED light seems pretty bright, isn't it a little distracting if it reflects in your telly?

Personally, the only time I ever noticed it was when there was a black loading screen. When I'm playing an actual game I don't recall ever seeing it. 

Parker