Evolve PC Server Closures on July 6, 2023

benoski55

From the 2K Support Page:

Starting on June 5, 2023 we will be scaling back support for Evolve and begin the process of sunsetting the servers.

For one month, from June 5 to July 6, Stage 2 Multiplayer will be offline but you will still be able to engage in Peer to Peer Multiplayer. On July 6, 2023 we will bring the Evolve servers completely down for a final time and the game will no longer be playable.

The support and enthusiasm of the Evolve community over the last several months is much appreciated, but the time has come to dedicate our resources to other projects.

Source: https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/14706625253395-Evolve-Server-Sunset-2023

Probably be a case where any sort of online functionality for the console versions would be inaccessible after that date. One trophy has already been unobtainable for years and there's a couple more that are tied to other players so they'd all be gone. Everything else can be done offline but it's trickier relying on the AI.

Either way, it's a real shame. I genuinely liked this game and thought it was fun. Enjoyed it a lot more than Back 4 Blood for sure. It had it's problems but I think that had it come out a few years later and without the amount of (albeit cosmetic) microtransactions, it would have done better.

Gives me a reason to go back to it at least. Hopefully it'll get a boost of players in the swansong days.

16 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

I'm confused, I thought this went down ages ago? And I thought P2P meant no servers are required, they also say the game will become unplayable yet the guide on here shows 1 online trophy and .org shows 3 with 47 offline trophies. 

There was a trophy (Instant Artist) that was unavailable because they took off something from the profiles section. If you have that trophy you're good to go.

As for the second part, they say the game won't be playable at all so...

In theory, this shutdown should only affect the PC F2P version of the game, because the dedicated console servers were switched off years ago, along with the badge servers so the Plat isn't obtainable anyway. Unless the console versions use some kind of middleware for the P2P connections, the remaining online trophies will still be obtainable for us after July 6th.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

9 hours ago, fenris-lima said:

Does the companion app still works for the masteries? Very little info on google 

That was delisted years ago and support dropped so it almost certainly won't work with modern devices if you happen to still have it in your download history :(. EDIT: I found it in my download history and whilst it booted up, it wouldn't connect to anything and just gave a network error :(

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

So I tried reaching out to find out what this means for the console versions of the game and unfortunately the response didn't explicitly give any more info, just an exact copy and paste of the original statement. 

I just now replied asking if that means the console version will also explicitly be unplayable against bots as well. I'm gonna get this completed before then anyways since I got the original online trophies but it would be weird if the game can't be played at all whatsoever against bots, since the stats are stored locally.

EDIT: Second reply I got confirmed console version is definitely going untouched.

Edited by go123ty
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, go123ty said:

So I tried reaching out to find out what this means for the console versions of the game and unfortunately the response didn't explicitly give any more info, just an exact copy and paste of the original statement. 

I just now replied asking if that means the console version will also explicitly be unplayable against bots as well. I'm gonna get this completed before then anyways since I got the original online trophies but it would be weird if the game can't be played at all whatsoever against bots, since the stats are stored locally.

It's pretty obvious it's false information. You can test it yourself by simply going offline. 

13 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

It's pretty obvious it's false information. You can test it yourself by simply going offline. 

That's what I'm assuming because anything online for the game, for consoles at least, has been gone for years, and everything else is done locally. But it never hurts to try and get some explicit info. 

1 hour ago, Prometheous101 said:

So ,is the PS4 version affected or not?

PS4 Version shouldn't be affected by this.

I explained in the main server shutdown thread this too.

Basically there's two versions of Evolve on PC. Evolve: Legacy (paid version) and Evolve Stage 2 (a later f2p version). When they shutdown the original serves for Evolve: Legacy Version (this includes PS4 and Xbox versions as well). It caused something to happen that also accidentally turned off Stage 2 version as well as Peer to Peer Matchmaking in it. A few years ago now 2K fixed this issue and reinstated servers for Stage 2 Version as well as Peer to Peer.

This announcement is basically them confirming that they will be officially closing that second PC Versions servers now.

Now why is Peer to Peer disappearing too? It's hard to say exactly why. Because this PC version was exclusive to Steam it could be most likely it uses VAC or some other authentication/anti-cheating software on server to validate players/game clients before connecting them. Or it could be possible that was the only way for them to fix peer to peer to begina few years ago was to have some sort of bridge between players even though they aren't hosting the matches themselves. But anyways whatever the reason this hasn't been the first game to use a middle ground for peer to peer, and this a potential risk for any game.

• Like 1

Was checking out the Evolve subreddit and, aside from them not being happy about all this, I noticed this on one of the threads.

cdmdcjupj3sa1.jpg

Presumably, this is what showed up when someone loaded up the stage 2 version, as the news feed in the console version has been unavailable for years but the image behind it is the same. The wording is different to the 2K support page but given that this one mentions the legacy/console version, it doesn't bode well for it.

In any case, it's best to get "Premade" and "Likes to watch" done before this date.

6 minutes ago, AgentSmiz said:

Was checking out the Evolve subreddit and, aside from them not being happy about all this, I noticed this on one of the threads.

cdmdcjupj3sa1.jpg

Presumably, this is what showed up when someone loaded up the stage 2 version, as the news feed in the console version has been unavailable for years but the image behind it is the same. The wording is different to the 2K support page but given that this one mentions the legacy/console version, it doesn't bode well for it.

In any case, it's best to get "Premade" and "Likes to watch" done before this date.

"Beat Them All" is online only as well and needs a minimum of 2 players for it to pop (you plus 1 other).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AgentSmiz said:

cdmdcjupj3sa1.jpg

My second reply from support the person confirmed that Legacy Evolve will still be playable but they didn't say whether or not P2P stuff will be, and just re-linked me to the two server related announcements they've made. So if anyone still needs the above two trophies and Beat Them All, definitely best to do them in case. 

Edited by go123ty

• 2 months later...