Final Fantasy IX Remake confirmed by Gematsu (Rumor)

ziggypossum

hero.jpg

FINAL FANTASY IX REMAKE “IS REAL” – REPORT

With the success of remakes and remasters in today’s gaming landscape, there seems to be a new one popping up every few months. Now, the latest game to get the remake treatment appears to be Final Fantasy IX.

According to journalist Jeff Grubb, the remake of the classic PlayStation title from 2000 is “real”.

“Most of the Square Enix games [from the Nvidia leak in early 2023] have been confirmed or even came out by now except for Final Fantasy IX Remake and Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster,” Grubb said on his Game Mess Mornings podcast. “I will say I heard very recently once again Final Fantasy IX Remake is real. That is real and happening.”

Currently, Square Enix is getting Final Fantasy VII Rebirth ready for a release either later this year or in early 2024. It’s expected that the latest remake wouldn’t be out until after the full release of seven.

As far as platforms are concerned, it could be assumed that the game will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive. That hasn’t been confirmed, however.

Insider Gaming has reached out to Square Enix for comment. As of publishing, however, the request has gone unanswered.

https://insider-gaming.com/final-fantasy-ix-remake-is-real-report/

Edited by ziggypossum
FFIX
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, xh117 said:

Why skip over FFVIII?

I don't get it either but they did it when bringing the series to ps4, first ff7, then ff9 and then ff8.... seem to be doing the same here maybe?

If this is true (which I hope so because ff9 is joint with legend of legaia as my all time favourite game), I hope its still the cartoon style like the original

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xh117 said:

Why skip over FFVIII?

I am no expert in the matter at all, but I've seen stuff like the shortcomings of the junction system, Squall's emo jerk personality and certain aspects of the plot being criticized online multiple times, and speculation that Square itself holds it in low regard.

I believe Jared talks about that stuff in this video:

Personally, I played it when it originaly released on the PS1 and loved it almost as much as FF7.

Also, they can always remake the game and tweak/change the stuff that hasn't aged well.

On the other hand, I never played FF9, would love the chance to discover it with a remake.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 2

People should set their expectations accordingly. 

Cyber Group Studios is making a Final Fantasy IX cartoon aimed at kids and this remake is likely to coincide the release of the show. That would also explain why they are jumping to IX instead of remaking VIII first.

Don't expect something as big-budget as the VII remake. Something more along the lines of the Trials of Mana remake is the realistic outcome.

Something I've read that should please fans of the classic Final Fantasy games is that the IX remake will be turn based.

If it is anything like the video in the article, alongside the original battle mechanics (can be tweaked to improve them) and story (can expand, but don't change), I'm in. That's what the 7 Remake should have been updated graphics, same battle mechanics (again tweaked to improve them) and an expanded but unchanged story.

31 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

Don't expect something as big-budget as the VII remake. Something more along the lines of the Trials of Mana remake is the realistic outcome.

Something I've read that should please fans of the classic Final Fantasy games is that the IX remake will be turn based.

Not gonna lie, this would be fantastic.

18 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

After the FF7 Remake I just can't be excited at all.

I have to agree.

I wanted to like it, but it just seemed to drag on for way too long. They should have never broken the game up. I have no hype for the second game of 7, let alone 9 (which was my favorite FF mind you).

Regardless, happy for those of you who are excited.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

People should set their expectations accordingly. 

Cyber Group Studios is making a Final Fantasy IX cartoon aimed at kids and this remake is likely to coincide the release of the show. That would also explain why they are jumping to IX instead of remaking VIII first.

From what I’ve read  the animation and the game are more coincidental with just lining up .

also I think the “aimed for kids “ might be a mistake and its audiences is probsbly aboit thebsame as the game (ie teens)

but yeah it’s not big budged like wha they’re doing with VII. 

• Like 1

Figures a thread would be made after my status update lol.

I can't really say anything else that I didn't say there. Reactions for it if/when it is officially revealed will be WILD (including mine obviously)

Only time will tell if any of this is true or not obviously though...

But I hope it is.

especially since it'll get the die hards who hate and refused to accept the shift to action based combat to finally stfu

Edited by SelectiveGamer

VIII and IX are tied for me among the PS1 FFs, so I'd be happy if a single-game VIII remake happens after IX.

Honestly though, I just want voiced remakes of every unvoiced FF since I can't get enough of the big name seiyuus casted in DFF Opera Omnia. It'd be awesome if Freya and Amarant gets more popular once they're voiced and perhaps given more screentime.