Any reason to play the ps3 version?

poker_1987

The remake is fantastic and has smart changes that make it a better game than the original (snappier aiming, a more cohesive story, stronger characters, "random" enemy spawns to keep you in your toes, the ability to explore previous chapters). But if you want more historical context for the remake, the original is still pretty great and worth seeing through, albeit slightly clunky by modern standards.

It's not quite like RE4 where it feels like a different game, but the Dead Spaces are still a little different. 

Edited by Chaos_Bladez
  • Like 1

Gameplay wise, probably no, there was stuff that was improved in Dead Space 2 already, so although original DS is still great and fun to play, remake is superior, period. Howewer, there are many things I like more about the orginal and these things are definitely worth playing DS 1 for. Just 3 that pops in my mind right now:
1) graphics and atmosphere - while remake is beautiful, sure, it feels little bit overdesigned, with way too many background items, complex textures, graphical effects on screen, fancy modern lighting etc., while original has clear, crisp and surprisingly good graphics and portrays the cold, hostlie spaceship overrun by monsters better. Also Isaac's suit is much more simple and health and TK meter is easier to read.
2) character design - I don't know why, but devs these days just LOVE to make their characters "realistic" and ugly. Why Isaac's girlfriend aged 20 years I still don't know. There's also the "woke" changes and while I don't like it, it's pretty minor stuff imo that's easily overlooked if this stuff bothers you.
3) Isaac never takes off his helmet - this might be actually my biggest gripe about what changed in remake. I loved how the main "hero" of the Dead Space was just some poor, faceless guy trying to survive the living nightmare. While the fans already know how he looks, it's hard to understand why devs decided to change this stylistic design choice.

So, overall I would say if you have a chance and a way to play it, give it a chance. I played it about year ago or so for the first time and I was carried away how great that game still looks and how it aged like a fine wine overall.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, poker_1987 said:

OK I'll try the ps3 version.

I played it on pc when released but that was a A bad port. Controls were terrible with a keyboard and mouse always thought it would play better with a controller.

I promise you won't regret it. It was my first PS3 game and I still remember it vividly - DS and DS2 being some of my best gaming memories ever.?

I'm one of those who get hung up over the smallest of issues, and the remake isn't an exception. Altering key characters for instance is unforgivable in my eyes.

Regardless of that, I think you owe it to yourself to play the original first. Afterwards, if you so decide, you can always go for the remake.

Just don't forget about DS2 & 3 when you're finished. Extraction might be worthwhile, too, if only for the story elements.

Hope you enjoy them, and good luck!?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 8:01 AM, poker_1987 said:

OK I'll try the ps3 version.

I played it on pc when released but that was a A bad port. Controls were terrible with a keyboard and mouse always thought it would play better with a controller.

With the main exception being the ADS Turret mini game. Those controls are really clunky and getting the trophy can be a bit of a grind based on RNG, good luck and skill. 

It’s the current thorn in my side at least :D

Edited by crouchingotter
  • Like 1

Yes almost everything is better in the ps3 version. I kinda miss the great soundtrack they kinda cutted it out in the remake. The Jump scares werent great as well. Especially the enemie in chapter 5 was a joke compared to the Original. The visuals they made the game way tooooooo dark. In Chapter 6 you cant see anything or not very well i would say.

Edited by Mr_Bandicoot93
  • Like 2