Overheating Issues

Genjiff

I've been reading reports on the internet saying that the game overheats the PS5 at specifics cutscenes/battles, but only for some people.

Did anyone here had this problem? I'm considering buying this game, but I'd probably wait for a patch to be completely sure nothing would happen during my playthrough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genjiff said:

I've been reading reports on the internet saying that the game overheats the PS5 at specifics cutscenes/battles, but only for some people.

Did anyone here had this problem? I'm considering buying this game, but I'd probably wait for a patch to be completely sure nothing would happen during my playthrough.

I've put 60 hours into the game and I have had zero issues with the console overheating. My console is inside a TV stand that I keep the door open to when I play the PS5. I have also had zero crashes and am in the final area of the game.

• Like 1

Yeah, no issues here either. I've had my PS5 for over a year and never cleaned it out thoroughly (have done a basic wipe down like when I installed my 1TB SSD inside it) though I have all my Systems and TVs on my Desk and I've been mainly playing at Night (after the sun's down) and it's Winter and been averaging around 10⁰C on average so it's kinda impossible ?

My PlayStation 5 has shut down six times playing this so far. I don't get any kind of warning, the system just shuts off all of a sudden and needs to be turned off at the wall before it'll come back on. Looking online the main cause of this appears to be overheating. Oddly, fan noise never seems to increase leading up to shut down.

I clean the console, fan and dust port thing every month. I've been putting it down to the heat/humidity here in the UK last week as it has made it much more difficult for the console to regulate its heat. I've set up a tower fun to keep a constant air flow over the console while I play and this seems to help.

My console lives vertically and is not in any kind of cabinet, it has around 15cm clearance on all sides at minimum. Launch edition console.

I highly recommend the game and don't think it's the game's fault.

Update: I read online that the issue I’ve been having could because my console is plugged into a multi plug thing. I’ve plugged it directly into the wall socket and haven’t had the issue since.

Edited by Moonka83
Clarity and update
  • Like 3

Hasn't happened to me and I've been playing it a lot and I have a PS5 with coil whine. I'm assuming it's limited certain models of the PS5, they have altered the cooling method on some of the later versions haven't they? Maybe some are more prone to it than others. Or it could be a PSU issue.

I've personally had 3 shut-downs. There hasn't been a warning stating anything, just a complete shut-down. Fan doesn't pick up or anything. My console is a launch model and I clean it out (proper clean) every two to three months. Mine seems to run better horizontally so I keep it that way. To the left I have a window and I also have a window behind the console so airflow isn't a problem for it. It's also winter here in Australia. Can't pin point it exactly either, as two were in pretty heavy scenes, but one was in a linear path and wasn't in combat. I am only roughly 15 hours in too

Edit: Just had my 4th. I was in a dialogue section of a side quest. Nothing intensive either

Edited by LeonScottKenedy2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LeonScottKenedy2 said:

My console is a launch model and I clean it out (proper clean) every two to three months.

Sometimes a dry spot appears in a liquid metal on the APU of your PS5. 

You can also try to delete the game, rebuild console database and reinstall it again. Maybe something went wrong there. 

Hi, I "tried" to play the demo of FFXVI one or two weeks ago and my PS5 shut down during the first boss fight after 3 minutes without any warning.

It just beeped 3 times and everything gone black. 

I started the demo 5 times in graphic mode (don't know if it's called like that in English, sorry about that ?) and every time my PS5 shut down at the exact same spot.

The console wasn't even warm when it shut down.

When I switched to performance I got an error message that my PS5 is overheating but the console didn't shut down so I was able to continue and play for a bit.

I cleaned my PS5 three weeks ago so it's not because of that and I never got that overheating message or shut down of my console before.

My brother bought the game and we tried to play it on Sunday. This time my PS5 even shut down at the very beginning of the frist cutscene so it's gotten even worse.

We tried it about 5 times but it doesn't work.

I even opened up my console again to look for any dust but there wasn't any because I already cleaned it 3 weeks ago and my PS5 stands on the TV board with nothing else in their way so it gets enough free space.

Every single game on my console runs fine and I can play them for hours straight, no matter if it's a PS4, PS5, PS1 etc. game, no issues with streaming games neither.

So in my opinion it's a optimization issue from Square Enix and it's a rare issue but the reports and videos of PS5 shutting down during this game are increasing and the prove that it needs to get fixed.

I bought the game but didn't open it yet because the test with my brothers copy showed me that I can't even get through the first cutscene ? which is absolutely stupid.

29 minutes ago, Akrioz said:

Sometimes a dry spot appears in a liquid metal on the APU of your PS5. 

You can also try to delete the game, rebuild console database and reinstall it again. Maybe something went wrong there. 

You could be right with that, but I've also played some pretty demanding games and the only other game I've had it happen on was RE4R. When I put the console horizontal it fixed the issue. 

Reinstalling isn't a bad idea honestly. I will make a few changes and reupdate for future people to view

3 hours ago, Moonka83 said:

My PlayStation 5 has shut down six times playing this so far. I don't get any kind of warning, the system just shuts off all of a sudden and needs to be turned off at the wall before it'll come back on. Looking online the main cause of this appears to be overheating. Oddly, fan noise never seems to increase leading up to shut down.

I clean the console, fan and dust port thing every month. I've been putting it down to the heat/humidity here in the UK last week as it has made it much more difficult for the console to regulate its heat. I've set up a tower fun to keep a constant air flow over the console while I play and this seems to help.

My console lives vertically and is not in any kind of cabinet, it has around 15cm clearance on all sides at minimum. Launch edition console.

I highly recommend the game and don't think it's the game's fault.

I had this issue when Elden Ring came out. My PS5 was vertical as well. Eventually it got to the point where playing for like 15 to 20 minutes caused it to just abruptly power off, and like you, having to unplug it and plug it back in before it powers up again. Fans also rarely kicked up to signal that the console was putting in work. At first I thought maybe Elden was somehow putting a strain on the console, but when they claimed to have fixed the issue and sent my console back, I realized it wasn't just Elden and it was every game. I first noticed with DS3 because I was still craving a souls fix since I couldn't play Elden Ring, and within 10 minutes, console shuts off. Any game, powered off. Sent it back in again and this time they just replaced it. I've also kept it horizontal this time and haven't had any issues since.

Just an FYI keep an eye on yours hopefully it doesn't get worse or continue like it did for me.

• Like 1

Time to deep clean them PS5 boys! It's summer time!! Unless your playing in A/C cooled room, chances are it's going to overheat.

I remember having overheating issues back in the PS3 days though. What a nightmare. Bought Twisted Metal on release day and couldn't play cause overheating. It only happened to a small group so the prick David Jaffe just say go buy a new PS3...

Kinda miss that series, wish someone makes again for PS5. I remember playing Vigilante 8 too. Similar to TM. Good stuff.

I hope I don’t jinx but… no troubles at all.

My PS5 was bought at release, play on it almost every day, it’s in enclosed shelf under the TV. I’ve only thoroughly cleaned it once (of course I dust it off from time to time). Not only that but last weekend it was over 30 degrees Celsius in my living room and no airco,  Played all day long. Not a single crash or issue.

I do have the digital version, does anyone know if it might happen more to physical release? I wish you all crash free, overheat free plays!

Edited by WhisperingDusk

Same happened to my console when playing Gow Ragnarok every 15 minutes or so. Cleaned out the dust again, turned it to horizontally and managed to play 30+ hours without it happening. Only played a couple of hours of FFXVI but no crashes so far.

Edited by JonnyDeWitt