Barbie v Oppenheimer

LastMinuteSavior

Which one are you MORE excited to see?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you MORE excited to see?

• Barbie
    • Oppenheimer

@DrBloodmoney That's probably very close to the truth.

But I doubt Barbie will be too cerebral. Mattel still wants a boost on their sales after all. I imagine it's just going to be a fun movie, with a few winks and nods that only older audiences will understand, and then the third act will have some kind of overarching message for everyone.

Chloé Zhao also directed Eternals after her Oscar win, and that movie was very light on substance.

Still, I'm sure there will be hundreds of film students writing essays about this "double feature". Some will argue the two films are complete opposites, others will swear they are essentially the same movie.

That being said, the only reason Barbie releases on the same day as Oppenheimer is because the studio expects it to perform well as counterprogramming, unlike Dead Reckoning which moved up to ensure a couple of weeks in the premium screens.

• Like 2

Can’t say I’m all that excited about either really. Oppenheimer seems interesting so I might see it at the cinema and maybe see Barbie when it hits Netflix.

I’m more excited to watch Mission Impossible, love that shit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Gerwig is in ascension, Nolan peaked decades ago. She always has something interesting to say, whereas he and has been on a slow downswing since Memento, and has had pretty lacklustre fare in his last couple of movies.

Although Memento is a masterpiece, in my humble opinion, Inception & The Dark Knight are so much better. TDK specially, that movie teached hollywood how to make a thriller about something that feels ridiculous in paper, but ends up being an amazing story with some of the best ever written characters in media.

There's just so much to analyze from that movie that is hard to believe it's a superhero blockbuster. I also recommend you The Prestige if you haven't seen it.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeanoltt said:

Although Memento is a masterpiece, in my humble opinion, Inception & The Dark Knight are so much better. TDK specially, that movie teached hollywood how to make a thriller about something that feels ridiculous in paper, but ends up being an amazing story with some of the best ever written characters in media.

There's just so much to analyze from that movie that is hard to believe it's a superhero blockbuster. I also recommend you The Prestige if you haven't seen it.

I do like all those movies you mentioned - The Prestige in particular- and I definitely think in terms of filmmaking spectacle, Nolan is a master…. 
… but I’d still stand by the “style-over-substance” point with them.

While I certainly enjoy them, any time I do rewatch them, the things I’m impressed by, and am rewatching them for, are aspects of the filmmaking, rather than any real plot or character type stuff… and I think that particular point gets more and more true as his films have progressed- with Tenet being the first one to really feel that way - dry and cold and purely a masturbatory filmmaking exercise- even on first viewing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I do like all those movies you mentioned - The Prestige in particular- and I definitely think in terms of filmmaking spectacle, Nolan is a master…. 
… but I’d still stand by the “style-over-substance” point with them.

While I certainly enjoy them, any time I do rewatch them, the things I’m impressed by, and am rewatching them for, are aspects of the filmmaking, rather than any real plot or character type stuff… and I think that particular point gets more and more true as his films have progressed- with Tenet being the first one to really feel that way - dry and cold and purely a masturbatory filmmaking exercise- even on first viewing.

Not got much to offer on Barbie or Oppenheimer, but I am a self confessed movie buff and Nolan in particular is an interesting character and filmmaker. He is obsessed with time and humankind’s perception of it and it is woven into the fabric of all his movies. I make you right that character has subsided bit by bit with each new film he releases, but each one kind of ramps up how heavily time influences the films to the point that time itself is almost becoming the main character and plot of his films. I think this the style over substance aspect that is being picked up on. And it’s hard to really disagree with that. 

And just for shits and giggles, his two best films for me are Memento and Insomnia. He may have got the best ever al Pacino performance too....I mean we can definitely debate that, but it’s certainly right up there with his most impressive roles I believe.

• Like 1

I rarely get into political things, but Warner’s shameless courting of China, in a Barbie movie, is just too much. Those assholes, in their crayon, childlike map of the world in the game, managed to include the so-called “nine dash line”, a fiction to which only China (and Hollywood) subscribe.

• Like 1

I thought this was a joke poll when I opened ?

I couldn’t imagine ever watching Barbie, although admittedly Margot Robbie is quite easy on the eyes.  But to suffer through that would necessitate some form of payment!

Oppenheimer looks fascinating, not that I’d pay to see in the theatre.  Just not something I do more than once every 5 years.  Like with video games, the backlog is strong.

2 hours ago, djb5f said:

I thought this was a joke poll when I opened ?

I couldn’t imagine ever watching Barbie, although admittedly Margot Robbie is quite easy on the eyes.  But to suffer through that would necessitate some form of payment!

Oppenheimer looks fascinating, not that I’d pay to see in the theatre.  Just not something I do more than once every 5 years.  Like with video games, the backlog is strong.

Same here. I just assumed Barbie was a kid's movie, you know...the demographic that plays with Barbies. Seeing all the reviews and comments about the messaging, now I am not sure who the movie is for. 

In any case, neither for me. I'll watch Oppenheimer when it comes to a streaming service so my ear drums don't burst from Nolan's incessant use of bass.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I rarely get into political things, but Warner’s shameless courting of China, in a Barbie movie, is just too much. Those assholes, in their crayon, childlike map of the world in the game, managed to include the so-called “nine dash line”, a fiction to which only China (and Hollywood) subscribe.

You actually believe that nonsense? Then tell me, what the nearly identical lines spanning the caribbean and going from the US to Greenland are?

It's just some doodles that randomly resemble something the filmmakers are likely not even aware of existing.

Both were really good. Good to know at this stage of life how are these two movies going to be without even watching trailers. Barbie had lots of messages and Oppenheimer did a great job making you feel the tension and burden of the character. Hope more movies like these become the norm instead of the classical superhero movie, which I loved but they're way too much now.

Edited by Jeanoltt

I'll go with Barbie out of the two, three reasons:

fan of Ryan

fan of Margot

if I wanted to know about how whatever bomb was made, I would read the wiki article, not watch a long ass movie on it, even if it is made by one of my favorite directors

Both were great.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:55 AM, serrated-banner9 said:

Barbie on the other hand... probably never going to watch but if i did it would most likely be in my worst films of all time list.

maybe i'm being too hypercritical as i'm clearly not the target audience for Barbie but it's pretty much guaranteed to be a comedy that appeals to small children, like something you put on for the sole reason of entertaining your children while you do stuff.

This is hysterical in hindsight, I've almost never seen someone so wrong.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 5:38 AM, Slava said:

Barbie earned $155 million in NA last weekend. Oppenheimer earned $80M. Almost 2 times difference. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2023W29

Yes, because Barbie was a family film to see with the kids.  Oppenheimer was decidedly NOT a family film.

I saw Oppenheimer when it came out, and enjoyed it - at least, as much as one can enjoy a film that deals with such dark subject matter.  Having some prior knowledge of Oppenheimer himself and the development of the atomic bomb certainly helped, though it was easy enough to follow without prior knowledge.

I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Barbie.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

Yes, because Barbie was a family film to see with the kids.  Oppenheimer was decidedly NOT a family film.

I know. Just posted numbers. Wasn't meaning to use box office results for argument purposes, although I see how it can be read in the topic about Oppenheimer and Barbie having a duel.

But yeah, Oppenheimer is apparently Nolan's first R-rated film in more than 20 years. It did very well considering that fact. Third highest grossing film for the director only behind two Batman movies.