[EVENT ENDED] Trophies and Relief Doctors involving Struggle

7 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

What charity are we raising money for this time

This time for “Doctors without Borders” (or “Médecins Sans Frontières” if you passed French.)

This is the charity Games Done Quick donates to during their Summer Games Done Quick Marathon so I am all up for this event. I donated $50 to them during that marathon. ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

I’ve created 16 divisions to attempt, all themed after my favourite doctor: Doctor Who!

:o Holy sh**, there are now SIXTEEN DOCTORS? (To be fair, I stopped watching the series after the original BBS series ended with the 7th Doctor. :P Really enjoyed the series before I got into video games and back when the Internet was on dialup. ;))

Also, I didn't know that the 13th Doctor was a woman. I have a lot of catching up to do... <_<

EDIT: You mispelled 'fourth'.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Taruta13 said:

:o Holy sh**, there are now SIXTEEN DOCTORS? (To be fair, I stopped watching the series after the original BBS series ended with the 7th Doctor. :P Really enjoyed the series before I got into video games and back when the Internet was on dialup. ;))

EDIT: You mispelled 'fourth'.

In all fairness the two latest haven't had proper episodes yet, 14th Doctor's only getting three episodes in November.

Grammarly has betrayed me

I guess that I can join in...

Not really sure what I will play, but likely will go with the lazy way with Datuta, Super Hang-On, Erica, SCG4AP, ABC of Murder, Vampire The Masquerade NY, Secret of Monkey Island or something..

Really don't plan to use long games, but I'm still playing Wild Arms and FF16 without a deadline, so, either could be finished during the event (or earlier).

• Like 1

Oh, I love this idea - count me in! I've only watched the runs for the 9th and 10th Doctors, plus the 50th Anniversary, but I love how you tied in each category to a Doctor!

11 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Timeloops, Flash backs, and whatever Assassin's Creed does are not time travel

?

Hm, I've been meaning to get around to the Legendary Editions of Mass Effect 1-3, and those should count for either the War Doctor or the 11th Doctor (optional romance). I'll make my decision on which category after someone else signs up for one of them.  

Categories I am considering for my other pick: 

4th Doctor - Complete a game in a franchise with 7 or more entries

6th Doctor - Complete a Detective/Mystery game

9th Doctor - Play a Non-violent game

13th Doctor - Complete a game with a Doctor Who Actor (if my backlog contains any)

15th Doctor - Complete a Puzzle game

• Like 1

Decided to do some research on games eligible for the 13th Doctor category, beyond what was already suggested. I only looked at people appearing in episodes starting in 2008 or later.

Main Cast:

Spoiler

David Tennant (10th Doctor):

Just Cause 3

Call of Duty: WWII

Sacha Dhawan (The Master):

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Series

Mass Effect Andromeda

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

John Barrowman (Jack Harkness):

Lego DC Super-Villains

Catherine Tate (Donna Noble):

Anthem (ugh, I do have a couple of trophies for this game...)

Matt Smith (11th Doctor):

Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock (PS3)

Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald):

Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Misc. Character Actors:

Spoiler

Adjoa Andoh:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Tim Bentinck:

A lot of games

Tony Curran:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Stephen Fry:

LittleBigPlanet 3

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)

Jaye Griffiths:

Subnautica: Below Zero

Richard E. Grant:

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Kevin McNally:

Legos Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (PS3)

Assassin's Creed III

Disney Infinity

Kingdom Hearts III

Maisie Williams:

MultiVersus

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Decided to do some research on games eligible for the 13th Doctor category, beyond what was already suggested. I only looked at people appearing in episodes starting in 2008 or later.

Love that you've done this, but I do also find it funny that you missed out the 13th Doctor herself, since the only game's Jodie Whitaker's in are Dr who licenced games,

Wanna also say if anyone wants to use Dr Who: The Lonely Assassins for the 13th category, This game is very short and risks only being usable in the 8th Doctor category.

17 hours ago, pelagia14 said:

Kevin McNally:

Legos Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (PS3)

Assassin's Creed III

Disney Infinity

Kingdom Hearts III

You have no idea how pleased I am that you included him in your research, McNally played Jericho and he's one of my favourite side characters in the show by a long distance.

Edited by Breakingthegreen

5 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Love that you've done this, but I do also find it funny that you missed out the 13th Doctor herself, since the only game's Jodie Whitaker's in are Dr who licenced games,

Well, the category description itself says that Jodie Whitaker has done video game voice acting. ? Though I would have included her had there been games outside of Doctor Who licensed ones, to let others know of potential surprising choices.

5 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

You have no idea how pleased I am that you included him in your research, McNally played Jericho and he's one of my favourite side characters in the show by a long distance.

Oh, that's awesome!

Also, regarding the clip you linked:

Spoiler

Oh gosh, Weeping Angels can come through TVs now?! ?

This event is also making me want to stream Doctor Who and catch up on everything after Tennant. Change is hard, though I love Capaldi as an actor so I should just focus on the positive aspects of change. (Plus Tennant is coming back as the 14th for three episodes?! I knew about the casting of Ncuti Gatwa as The Doctor, but didn't realize he would not immediately follow Jodie Whitaker!)

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 1

I love Doctor Who, and the fact that this event is also for charity is great! Sign me up! I can make almost any category work at this point, thanks to the enormity of my backlog. But, the ones that stick out at the moment are:

The 2nd Doctor: Play a Rhythm game.

- This will give me a chance to finish up Theathrythm Final Bar Line

The 1st Doctor: Complete a game with time travel (I've got a soft spot for Hartnell's doctor, as he was the first classic doctor I saw. Though, my first true exposure to the show was the 9th doctor when it was revived in 2005)

- Plus, what better reason to go back and finally finish Doctor Who and the Eternity Clock? :)

• It will also work for the 13th Doctor since it features Matt Smith's 11th.

So, feel free to put me where ya need me. :)

• Like 1

Oh, I'd be happy to join and knock out a couple of games I've wanted to do. Especially if it helps to finally get those doctors some borders!

The War Doctor - Play a game about a war

- Finally an excuse to get to Crysis 2 Remastered! I'm assuming that a war against aliens still counts as war? Also would love to do some other shooters I've had around for more points!

The Twelfth Doctor - Complete a Roguelike or Timeloop game

- I've really been meaning to get back to Echoshift so this is good timing ? maybe Deathloop too if I have time for it...

• Like 1

It's been a week since this event was announced, so let's discus just one country that Doctors without Borders helps.

Egypt (please read more here)

Refugees fleeing conflict and instabilities in North Africa or the Middle East will often go through Egypt, but the lack of free healthcare puts these migrants at risk of exploitation and most would not be able to get therapy (both physical and psychological) that they need and would otherwise be unable to afford. In 2022 alone they've been able to perform over 20,000 consultations in their clinic in Cairo.

The migrant crisis feels a million years ago, but there are still scars that need to be healed, and Doctors without borders do help.

Minor Event Update

Not including people who are unsure as to which category they'll vote for, if these were the only contributors, the donation total would be £0, so I am going to throw my hat into the ring, I am planning on adding to the 13th Doctor section with the Doctor Who game "Edge of Reality", I'd stopped playing it before because the Weeping Angels turned up, and I noped out. It contains multiple actors, but of course the headliner is Jodie Whitaker, but this expanded port also adds the Tenth Doctor's David Tennant too.

Remember, it's best to say what you'll go for, so everyone can try to plan what they'll go for around that to enable to every category to be filled. 

Also I want to add a couple of rules that I hadn't said previously: Once you submit a game, that game can't switch categories even if it fits in multiple, but you can switch what you're planning your category to be so long as you haven't already contributed to two categories.

• Like 3

It looks like we are actually pretty close to getting all of the categories covered!

Since we got a signup for the War Doctor, I've moved myself over to the 11th Doctor to fill that gap. 

This brings us to:

DOCTOR:   Gaming Theme:   Participants: 
1  Time Travel  InfinateEternity
2  Rhythm  nashoyo68,

InfinateEternity

3  Racing  GT__Jedi

7+ Game Franchise 

VersusCA

5  Sports   VersusCA
6  Detective/Mystery  GT__Jedi
7  Co-Op  TBD
8  Short Game  Han_the_Dragon 
War  War  SeedersPhD
9  Non-violent  Xylobe
10  3D/VR  MattbluePT,
 Xylobe
11  Optional Romance   pelagia14
12  Roguelike / Timeloop   SeedersPhD
13  Doctor Who Actor  Breakingthegreen 
14  Trophy Stack

MattbluePT,

DonLin091

15  Puzzle`  DonLin091

Participants without a planned category:

- DrBloodmoney

- Redblaziken8

- Taruta13

I'm signing up for another Community Event that runs concurrently for much of this event's duration (I Know What You Did Last 13 Platinums). Looking at the games that I plan to play for that, I was planning on picking the 6th Doctor as my second category.

However, if no one else is able to tackle the 7th Doctor, I *might* be able to do a Co-Op game later this month. I would only have one game to contribute to that category, so I'd prefer not to sign up for it unless it is necessary for us to reach the 100% donation amount.

-----

Also, @Breakingthegreen, I appreciate the information about some of the work that MSF is doing around the world. Thanks for sharing it!

Edited by pelagia14
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2023 at 0:03 AM, pelagia14 said:

It looks like we are actually pretty close to getting all of the categories covered!

Worth remembering that we need two people partake in each category to get each £5 donated, with our current list we are at... £15, and even then there's something of an uncertainty. 

Love the chart btw, so lovely, so neat, so... getting stolen by me when I update this next.

(also if we get done early, I may add some bonus categories that anyone could go for, they would be particularly cruel though)

On 12/08/2023 at 0:03 AM, pelagia14 said:

Also, @Breakingthegreen, I appreciate the information about some of the work that MSF is doing around the world. Thanks for sharing it!

<3 Thanks for the kind words, 

• Like 1