Charles Martinet is retiring as the voice of Mario

JPtheNeurotic

Much like Alan Young the voice of Uncle Scrooge and June Foray the voice of Magica De Spell, who have been with the characters for so many years it's hard to find someone who can recreated the magic and charisma, let's hope the new VA loves the character just as much.

• Like 1

Huge respect to Charles Martinet and hopefully he enjoys his retirement

However people are still shocked when I tell them that goddamn Mickey Mouse had a new voice actor since 2009 because Wayne Allwine died so I doubt many will know or care about a change here, sadly

• Like 2

Thankfully, Chris the Prat is way out of their league as a full-time replacement. Whoever they choose may be in for a rough time, implacable traditionalists being what they are.

What they should do is use this momentum to take some more risks with the series and immediately create fresh associations with whomever has stepped into Mario's big ol' plumber loafers. To their credit, I still trust Nintendo to have the nous to even despite squeezing every last inch of soul out of Zelda.

You'd think they'd have enough voice clips on record at this point that he'd never actually have to voice act ever again. That or we have technology these days that the next person to do it can have their voiced mimiced to sound like Martinet (it's the same tech Trey Parker and Matt Stone use on South Park). But he deserves a retirement at this point...dudes a legend either way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AK-1138 said:

Thankfully, Chris the Prat is way out of their league as a full-time replacement. Whoever they choose may be in for a rough time, implacable traditionalists being what they are.

What they should do is use this momentum to take some more risks with the series and immediately create fresh associations with whomever has stepped into Mario's big ol' plumber loafers. To their credit, I still trust Nintendo to have the nous to even despite squeezing every last inch of soul out of Zelda.

I don't know why everyone thinks that's what's going to happen. Nintendo is well known for cutting costs when they can and Pratt is way out of their league and wouldn't be 'cutting costs' by any means whatsoever.

This guy is a LEGEND, and that word gets thrown around a lot these days, but this guy 100% deserves it and more. Those of us that grew up with Mario will know and love this guy for everything he has done for video games. I hope he enjoys his retirement, it is well deserved, and I hope whoever takes over has as much passion for it as he did.

• Like 2