Xbox Leaks (Microsoft aims to buy Nintendo & Valve, Game Pass needs 100 million by 2027/30 or Microsoft will exit Gaming, Seemingly came close to buying Sega)

Rozalia1

53 minutes ago, Boorish said:

The problem with Microsoft being in the industry is that their whole business strategy revolves around pushing their cloud tech and services. This seems rather backwards in terms of game development, where it’s driven by pushing their Azure cloud services instead of giving developers creative freedom (This is about the cloud tech leaks where a part of the game runs on the client and the environment is streamed from the server). I’m not saying that it’s not interesting, and I’m curious to see what Kojima will do with it; but it does shifts focus of their established acquired studios to do something that they might not want to. I work for a company with got acquired a few years ago, and I can tell you it’s not the same company I signed up to work for. Not to mention the amount of chaos acquisitions entail with layoffs and work realignment to combat “redundancies” (see what’s going on with Embracer). I wouldn’t mind if the higher ups at Microsoft are replaced with people who actually care about at least making good games rather than just wanting to buy the entire industry. They recently had Starfield which clearly is a system seller and still I don’t think that that’s their priority. The whole subscription business model is by default scummy and I hate that that’s going to dictate the future of the industry if they succeed.

I feel like a lot of these issues aren’t exactly exclusive to Microsoft though ? Even if Microsoft isn’t doing the buying I expect to see more consolidation because the industry has become unsustainable. 

would obsidian , ninja theory, in exile , or double fine survivor Withoit getting boght ? They essentially lived by project to project and it just one deal fell throfh it could have spelled doom for them .

even Bethesda was bleeding money .

3 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

So yes. If you use Microsoft products then you are indeed supporting a putrid and vile company. However, that itself obviously doesn't make you a bad person. After all, with Microsoft having established their monopolies it can be difficult to avoid not using their products. All those who can avoid using their products however, should

Does this mean everyone here shouldn’t be buying hogwarts legacy . I can get behind that .

how about Sony owning both funimation and crunchyroll.

or insomniac ignoring sexual assault issues in their own company 

or the massive crunch and bleeding  talent worh naughty dog 

or Nintendo ruining a man’s life at being a scapegoat for being at the bottom of the totem poll in a hacker group 

Or Jim Ryan thinkkmg we should respect those who don”t respect woman’s bodily autonomy .

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

There’s no argument that can be made to me that it’s ok to lose a massive pillar Iin the gaming industry .

This is a mindset I could understand if Xbox's behavior didn't extend past Xbox itself. But it does extend to Microsoft as a whole, and it's been ongoing for decades. To think keeping them around is somehow more beneficial than it is harmful, or that they'll magically change when the last few decades have shown otherwise, is foolhardy to say the least.

48 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

snip

I feel like you're deflecting and reaching with this a bit, if I'm to be completely honest. Not trying to be rude, mind you, I just don't see how any of that - regardless of how agreeable or disagreeable some of it is - is relevant to what's being discussed, nor how it'd somehow act as a reasonable counterargument against the idea of being rid of Xbox/Microsoft.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

This is a mindset I could understand if Xbox's behavior didn't extend past Xbox itself. But it does, and it's been ongoing for decades. To think keeping them around is somehow more beneficial than it is harmful, or that they'll magically change when the last few decades have shown otherwise, is foolhardy to say the least.

I don’t see them anymore harmful than the depressing state of our capitalistic society . And there’s no FUCKKNG way any of us here are smart enogh or level  headed to realistically dismantle tje conversation down in a way that’s actually forthcoming and objective . 

And this is coming from someone who was visibly and emtionally upset when theyboght  Bethesda  and was just told to “buy an Xbox .”

Edit : oh I didn’t see your edit . Maybe it’s best I don’t continue the conversation anyways . 

Edited by JPtheNeurotic

22 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I don’t see them anymore harmful than the depressing state of our capitalistic society . And there’s no FUCKKNG way any of us here are smart enogh or level  headed to realistically dismantle tje conversation down in a way that’s actually forthcoming and objective .

Enabling them by allowing them to persist - or arguing that they should be allowed to, regardless of one's personal stance on them as a company otherwise - isn't going to improve said capitalistic society either, though, as they're currently very much the living embodiment of every thing that's wrong with it (not to mention one of the largest, most corrupt corporations in the world to the point where they can get away with shit that other big tech companies like Apple or Google can only dream of being able to successfully pull off).

And I disagree with that second statement of yours because I've already given a pretty objective statement myself based on decades of Microsoft's behavior as a whole, and all of the leaks and other things that've come out over the years pertaining to Xbox specifically that show that they're in possession of the exact same ravenous drive and problems as their larger parent company. It's rooted in the facts that've been presented for a prolonged period of time, including by Microsoft themselves (even if not always intentionally, such as these recent leaks for example lol) and even by other companies that they own (e.g Bethesda). Disagreeing with that doesn't change what's been said, what they've been caught doing, the blatant lying in court, and the obvious corruption they've gotten away with (at least not anymore than trying to argue that the earth is flat when it's not, anyway).

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

Does this mean everyone here shouldn’t be buying hogwarts legacy . I can get behind that .

how about Sony owning both funimation and crunchyroll.

or insomniac ignoring sexual assault issues in their own company 

or the massive crunch and bleeding  talent worh naughty dog 

or Nintendo ruining a man’s life at being a scapegoat for being at the bottom of the totem poll in a hacker group 

Or Jim Ryan thinkkmg we should respect those who don”t respect woman’s bodily autonomy .

Of course, #SonyToo. Even if we take what you say straight up, two wrongs don't make a right, and there is a little something called 'scale'. Take for example the Activision mess, which Microsoft by the way has been playing defence for and has helped cover that all right up, which going by your argument someone simply needs to point at some other company having a sexual assault case and just like that you can no longer say a bad word of Activision. How grand. No, one has a major problem while the other has an isolated case. There is a difference in scale. Get the picture? Have both Sony and Nintendo done bad things? Of course. Do they come anywhere close to Microsoft? Nope. Does the fact they've done bad things avail Microsoft of any scorn they should get sent their way? Nope.

I don't blame you as this is so common online and Microsoft's agents spread it, but what I've just described is something young children get taught. Basic reasoning. 

19 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

And this is coming from someone who was visibly and emtionally upset when theyboght  Bethesda  and was just told to “buy an Xbox .”

I thought as much. You need to get out of that funk. The idea that in capitalism all companies are equally guilty is a scam that only supports capitalism, not hurts it. Just think about who benefits from people thinking like that. I'm sure you've also been led to believe otherwise because 'all profit is theft' or whatever, but there are actually good companies out there led by good people who actually do put their workers/consumers/quality of their products above greed. Less common in the west for cultural reasons, and the system is heavily corrupted by companies like Microsoft, but that isn't reason to just give up and write everything off as equally evil.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Ashande said:

There are some among the “old guard” who feel there’s a bit of link between Sega and Microsoft due to a certain perception of the Xbox being the “Dreamcast 2” they never got. It seems to be rooted in how a small number of Sega franchises either got a last hurrah or a port to Xbox early on, or were exclusive to Xbox (Panzer DragoonCrazy TaxiShenmue and Otogi; there may be others that I can’t recall off the top of my head.)

Not just the console releases, but also the Sega Chihiro arcade board. Virtua Cop 3, House of the Dead 3, Out Run 2 & 2 SP (not Out Run 2 SP SDX, that's Sega Lindbergh with MontaVista Linux), Ghost Squad, and Ollie King to name some. That did change over time. Out Run 2 SP got PS2 and PSP versions. Ghost Squad was a Xbox no-show and went to Nintendo Wii, though it was kind of late. Strange, since Xbox did have playable gun games like HotD 3.

I viewed Xbox differently back in the OG and 360 eras. That was before I knew what I know now.

Arcade hardware's shying away from console systems is a good thing. Just whip up a generic PC system and don't be beholden to anyone for your hardware. Much of it now uses Windows (Taito NESiCA x Live, Sega ALLS, Bandai Namco ES3 & BNA1) or Linux.

Edited by RadiantFlamberge

With how often Sega and Nintendo are doing joint releases, I have been waiting for them to finally "get a room" for forever. But not worth it, if it's by becoming subsidiaries of Microsoft. I don't care if you like them, they are just so different in approach to everything, especially game design. Currently, we have one software company (MS), one media and electronics company (Sony), and one toy company (Nintendo) leading the market. That feels about right, though if any of these can go, it would be the software one, because their approach brings little to the table.

Those different approaches are also why I think MS would be unable to handle ownership of Sega or Nintendo, and why they are botching Mohjang (and previously Rare) badly. Because they don't understand their approach to product design and ultimately, they don't understand the customers and the business model of the companies they buy.

Edited by shadaik
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alantor32 said:

Death to Microsoft and Xbox! Seriously, they're doing more harm than good. And the Xbots will make it worst.

They certainly are more harm than good and need to go. A detail to note is that many that you are referring to as 'Xbots' are indeed bots or shills. Just sad stuff. The Xbox brand is so manufactured, fake, and just angry. Worse of all might be what real fans they have left though who have really been radicalised to imagine themselves as living under some manner of siege. Is Starfield being maligned and rated badly because it is an outdated dull game? No, it is an 'Xbox tax' at work where Xbox games are unfairly rated down they'll say. You say otherwise? You're an enemy combatant/blocked.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fenrir54565 said:

phil spencer denies reports that microsoft wants to acquire japanese publishers sounds like bs to me. i do wonder how anyone can support someone like spencer with him lying his ass off all the time.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil-spencer-denies-reports-that-microsoft-wants-to-acquire-japanese-publishers.1661835/

He knows most won’t challenge him, so he can get away with it. I imagine there would be a lot more hoops to jump through if he tried. 

• Like 1

You know ..looking at the email I don’t actually see it saying their goal is to acquire Nintendo . He’s saying he would want that and that he thinks Nintendo  is better off their own hardware ( and I know a lot of people who will actually agree with this ) and that a hostile takeover is not an actual option . 

Im also pretty sure the guy he’s taking about who share  company of Nintendo isn’t some insidious insider agent but a pretty typical “ I have hands in many pies “ that’s pretty  typical of stocks. 

I have to reread the email when I’m not on the phone so it’s easier to read but as far as I see , he’s saying the only way this would ever happen is if Nintendo would actually agree with it .

I also don’t believe that they would allow them to an acquire valve or Nintendo anyways . People keep talking about monopoly but tje studios MS acquired doesn’t actually make them so . They’re not even the worse as far as I’m concerned ( embracer ). I don’t think any of the Regulars would actually an allow the purchase  of Nintendo as that would be a monopoly for console market and valve for the PC Market . I think for valve anyways . 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, fenrir54565 said:

phil spencer denies reports that microsoft wants to acquire japanese publishers sounds like bs to me. i do wonder how anyone can support someone like spencer with him lying his ass off all the time.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/phil-spencer-denies-reports-that-microsoft-wants-to-acquire-japanese-publishers.1661835/

To be clear, that interview is from 2020 and not 2023. However, it still shows him as dishonest because literally the day before the interview he requested to Nadella that they need to buy Sega out. To not even mention the rest.

1 hour ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

You know ..looking at the email I don’t actually see it saying their goal is to acquire Nintendo . He’s saying he would want that and that he thinks Nintendo  is better off their own hardware ( and I know a lot of people who will actually agree with this ) and that a hostile takeover is not an actual option . 

Im also pretty sure the guy he’s taking about who share  company of Nintendo isn’t some insidious insider agent but a pretty typical “ I have hands in many pies “ that’s pretty  typical of stocks. 

I have to reread the email when I’m not on the phone so it’s easier to read but as far as I see , he’s saying the only way this would ever happen is if Nintendo would actually agree with it .

I also don’t believe that they would allow them to an acquire valve or Nintendo anyways . People keep talking about monopoly but tje studios MS acquired doesn’t actually make them so . They’re not even the worse as far as I’m concerned ( embracer ). I don’t think any of the Regulars would actually an allow the purchase  of Nintendo as that would be a monopoly for console market and valve for the PC Market . I think for valve anyways . 

Microsoft has a standing order to buy Nintendo and Valve the moment they become available. So yes, a goal of theirs is to buy Nintendo and Valve as otherwise said standing order would not exist.

The guy he is talking about is an activist investor who by Spencer's words will be pushing for what Microsoft wants. I don't know if you're familiar with how the more organised criminals operate, but they do like to speak in code and ways that it can be denied. This is why to many what Spencer said was essentially an admission that the guy he talked about is a Microsoft agent. Microsoft's top guys all know there is always the possibility that their files will be read by the government, especially after almost being broken up, so they're all going to speak in ways where things can be denied. Even then though, some of the things being said have been shocking to some people, but again, not enough to actually get Microsoft done for it.

Spencer is incredibly PR obsessed and knows a hostile takeover would on it's own likely completely destroyed their PR machine. He also knows that companies like Nintendo have defences against such efforts, and then you got the Japanese government who simply will not allow it to happen.

If Microsoft thought the regulators would stop them then they would not bother to have a standing order to buy Nintendo and Valve in effect. Saying Embracer is worse, after their recent troubles, is strange. Embracer buys small studios mostly and is worth a pittance compared to everything Microsoft has been buying up. Embracer by the way likely has been buying up studios due to companies like Microsoft, as buying all those companies allows them to package them up and then sell them for a higher premium to a group like Microsoft. Such a tactic has a time limit on it though and as no one has yet bought them out (Microsoft itself has been able to bite due to the ABK troubles) they're having to downsize.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Microsoft has a standing order to buy Nintendo and Valve the moment they become available. So yes, a goal of theirs is to buy Nintendo and Valve as otherwise said standing order would not exist.

you're right. Once I was able to read it says their boad of directors has their full support if it arises.

But I'm not even remotely worried about it nor do I suspect micorsoft is the only mega corporation who feels the same.

29 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

The guy he is talking about is an activist investor who by Spencer's words will be pushing for what Microsoft wants.

thats not what he says at all. He's saying a former mutual group and acquaintance pushed for Nintendo stock for themselves and that could create more opportunities for Microsoft in a better partnership for Nintendo-including if a merger if there ever was one.  BUt outside of that there is nothing.

34 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Saying Embracer is worse, after their recent troubles, is strange. Embracer buys small studios mostly and is worth a pittance compared to everything Microsoft has been buying up

Embracer bought a whole bunch of studios but now is bleeding money and their studios are being hit HARD. Voliton is fucking gone, gearbox got hit hard too, its depressing shit.

of course it seems to be affecting  a lot of people and microsoft had their own layoffs earlier this year. but yeah, I think Embracer is super scummy.  I also don't know for sure if their studio acquisitions were spurred by Microsoft own effort but as you say, two wrongs don't make a right.

41 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

I don't know if you're familiar with how the more organised criminals operate, but they do like to speak in code and ways that it can be denied. This is why to many what Spencer said was essentially an admission that the guy he talked about is a Microsoft agent. Microsoft's top guys all know there is always the possibility that their files will be read by the government, especially after almost being broken up, so they're all going to speak in ways where things can be denied. Even then though, some of the things being said have been shocking to some people, but again, not enough to actually get Microsoft done for it.

im not going to engage in conspiratorial nonsense.

42 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

If Microsoft thought the regulators would stop them then they would not bother to have a standing order to buy Nintendo and Valve in effect

even if I agree with that point, it doesn't mean it will happen. Microsoft's current acquisitions are not a monopoly but buying Nintendo absolutely would be.

And as much as hate them getting Bethesda and ABK, I was happy for studios like double Fine or Obsidian. IM HUGE fans of theirs but they didnt have job security . i think they could add lot ot Microsofts lineup.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

you're right. Once I was able to read it says their boad of directors has their full support if it arises.

But I'm not even remotely worried about it nor do I suspect micorsoft is the only mega corporation who feels the same.

even if I agree with that point, it doesn't mean it will happen. Microsoft's current acquisitions are not a monopoly but buying Nintendo absolutely would be.

And as much as hate them getting Bethesda and ABK, I was happy for studios like double Fine or Obsidian. IM HUGE fans of theirs but they didnt have job security . i think they could add lot ot Microsofts lineup.

How do you make this comment exactly? You admit that Microsoft is monopolistic and has a standing order to buy out the industry... but it won't happen so no harm no foul, leave Microsoft alone. That how the world works? Everything is just ignored until the deed happens? The regulators in their feeble efforts to stop Microsoft already have the main argument made. Nintendo is a different market. The other argument is their race baiting, something you should be taking very seriously and yet don't, where they'll talk about how American/Western companies need western regulators to support them with the buyouts so they can compete against the East (China is pointed at, but they lump Japan in too) who have their governments support. There is no low that Microsoft will not stoop to when going for a monopoly, and you're here wanting us to chill saying mean words against a company that you yourself essentially admit is monopolistic and seeks one out in gaming (what a standing order to buy Nintendo & Valve means). 

If Sony/Nintendo/Whoever also feels it would be cool if they had a monopoly is irrelevant. They have not shown such a blatant ambition nor do they have the means to attain one through massive buyouts. Not to mention, I thought you were against 'conspiracies'? Yet you're here peddling the conspiracy that others feel the same way as Microsoft is proven to? Prove it then. Let us see the standing orders that Sony has on Nintendo & Valve, and Nintendo has on Sony & Valve. You can't can you, you conspiracy theorist you.

Embracer bought a whole bunch of studios but now is bleeding money and their studios are being hit HARD. Voliton is fucking gone, gearbox got hit hard too, its depressing shit.

of course it seems to be affecting  a lot of people and microsoft had their own layoffs earlier this year. but yeah, I think Embracer is super scummy.  I also don't know for sure if their studio acquisitions were spurred by Microsoft own effort but as you say, two wrongs don't make a right.

As I said, time limit. Embracer could never support all those studios, but if a buyout happens then they wouldn't have to. As I've said, I imagine their whole scheme revolved around a Microsoft buyout but the length of time this ABK thing has gone on has really hurt them.

thats not what he says at all. He's saying a former mutual group and acquaintance pushed for Nintendo stock for themselves and that could create more opportunities for Microsoft in a better partnership for Nintendo-including if a merger if there ever was one.  BUt outside of that there is nothing.

im not going to engage in conspiratorial nonsense.

Before all this, someone saying that Microsoft seeks to buyout the industry would be deemed a conspiracy. Heck, if you say it today with all the evidence we now have you'd still get Microsoft fans real or otherwise, plus some neutrals who think that they're so smart by going against such talk, rubbishing it as a conspiracy.

Saying something is a conspiracy is not a magic word that brushes things off instantly. Not to mention... just think for a second. You think that Microsoft, the tech company that does the most buyouts and has almost been broken up for their monopolistic behaviour... just talks openly about crimes (what moves to create illegal monopolies are) in emails they know regulators might at some point see? Believe that they're trained to talk as if the government is reading. Look. Take for example Spencer saying that them buying out Nintendo would be good for both companies. It would obviously be disastrous for Nintendo so that is simply wrong. Is Spencer an idiot and doesn't know that? No, he says that because that is how you speak in case someone ever sees it. If instead he had said 'Yeah, it'll be great, we'll wipe out Nintendo as a competitor and we'll gain an edge to take out Sony. They'll have no chance'. That sort of talk not only would have likely (possibility not with regulators as weak as they are) killed the ABK deal, but it could lead to a renewed effort to break Microsoft up.

Anyway. If you want to put your head in the ground and just ignore the reality that Microsoft is a monopolistic company out to buy gaming out, then fine. Put your head in the mud and keep it there. Don't however chastise others for also not sticking their head in that same dirt. Believe me, Microsoft doesn't need you to tell others to leave them alone. Microsoft has plenty of people, some of which are rewarded for it, to do that for them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JPtheNeurotic said:

I thought the 'you' at the end would message across that it was a playful making of a point, but it seems you failed to understand so I will explain. You brushed off my saying of something quite reasonable as 'conspiracy'. No reason was given, but if you're saying that then it is going to be 'where is the definite evidence?'. I then pointed out something you said and referred to it as a conspiracy because you cannot prove it with definite evidence. I'm not actually calling you a conspiracy theorist, and am instead pointing out how worthless an exercise it is to refer to easily understood and accepted things as conspiracies just because there isn't some paper submitted to a court somewhere that says the needed words straight up. There is nothing wrong with inferring things from solid reasoning instead of hard evidence, though in the case of Microsoft there certainly is plenty of evidence of them being a monopolistic company out to buyout gaming anyway.

Understand?

1 hour ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Not necessarily, buying the name but not the heart will result in a hollow and bland product, Harvest Moon is here to prove it.

Indeed. Microsoft themselves a prime example of that. The amount of studios they buy which then seem to haemorrhage talent, run into massive delays, and then when they finally release something the quality is more often than not substandard is staggering.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, Sunnyburrito said:

Not necessarily, buying the name but not the heart will result in a hollow and bland product, Harvest Moon is here to prove it.

I happen to think Microsoft buying Nintendo would end up becoming a historically bad business move.  I strongly suspect their best talent would leave the company in protest over such an acquisition.  Moreover I think the likelihood of Microsoft successfully buying Nintendo (especially after regulators in Europe and the US dropped the fucking ball in allowing the obscenity that is the Activision acquisition) is exceedingly unlikely, especially since Nintendo is one of their direct competitors.  The only thing more unlikely is Sony coming to Nintendo and deciding to play nice in response to that Activision acquisition.

• Like 2

@fenrir54565 Thanks for posting that.

In the past we've seen articles come out and then Microsoft would make the same arguments right after. If they aren't paying people to put out this crap, then they're certainly seeing these articles and doing as described, which considering the internal emails we've seen from Spencer that shows him as someone who is 'very online' is also very possible. A third, and funny option, is that both are true at the same time. Does Microsoft's astroturfing department pass everything by Spencer? It has been implied, mostly by that email of Spencer's where he states that the board told him to calm down on the winning talk (which he then ignored and did anyway), that the other top people at Microsoft (except for Nadella) don't respect Spencer. As such it is possible that Microsoft is astroturfing themselves which is a hilarious thought.

As for the argument that pathetic article puts forward. Essentially Japanese companies are undervalued (I'd argue Western ones are overvalued instead) and don't merge together enough, so Microsoft buying up Nintendo would be such a massive shock that it would cause other Japanese companies to realise that they all need to focus on upping their stock value and merging together, which will... increase their listed number on the stock market and make a small number of rich people richer? All while hurting everyone else. This all matches Spencer's bemoaning of Nintendo not being a soulless company like Microsoft that chases money above all else, and you know, actually cares about their game developers and game quality.

Edited by Rozalia1
  • Like 1