What is the worst game you love?

DrBloodmoney

Bulletwitch. Wish there was a port to PS. Skimming a lot of people don’t know what actual bad games are…

Bulletwitch has broken AI that will stand there as you shoot them endlessly to death. Nonsensical story. Terrible combat. Everything sucks… other than the idea. Which carries it for me. 

suppose the title makes it makes sense though 

Edited by Elvick_

On 10/19/2023 at 3:24 PM, Finch_III said:

I also thought about posting Everybody's Gone to the Rapture for similar reasons. I think about that game quite a lot. It was very haunting. The only reason I didn't use that instead is because I think it's actually a good game, plus it was pretty well received, both critically and commercially. It's just one of those games that about 90% of gamers will dismiss as a boring walking sim. (And the platinum was super tedious). 

I loved Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I think it was great. If you're not into walking sims, won't be for you, but it's just got a vibe about it that I love (I'm British, so perhaps it is that).

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Bulletwitch. Wish there was a port to PS. Skimming a lot of people don’t know what actual bad games are…

Bulletwitch has broken AI that will stand there as you shoot them endlessly to death. Nonsensical story. Terrible combat. Everything sucks… other than the idea. Which carries it for me. 

suppose the title makes it makes sense though 

Also famous for being one of the first game with odd achievement values (1G and 99G). Not many games does this on Xbox, but some do.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 2:36 AM, JPtheNeurotic said:

Bound by flame and the technomancer

enter the matrix and the matrix path of Neo 

tenchu Z

wanted : dead? Idk I think that’s actually a legit good game lmao 

resident evil 6

The punisher by volition (2005 I think ?)

Dark sector 

infinite undiscovery 

the last remnant 

orphan: scion of sorcery 

that’s …what I can remember atm 

I was gonna list Wanted: Dead too because everyone said how it was one of the worst games of this year, and how it’s just a PS2 game disguised as a modern game. I genuinely enjoyed the game, and even listed it as one of my favorite games this year, so I won’t list it here. Hannah Stone being the genderbend version of Tommy Wiseau adds to the charm. 

The Quiet Man is definitely not a good game, but I loved it when playing the playthrough where you can hear sounds and the dialogue. First playthrough is muted for the most part, so you never hear dialogue except at the beginning cause the protagonist is deaf. The story seriously goes bonkers, it’s dumb and zany, and I love it. Also, justice for Babcock, he’s a victim, and Dane is the actual villain. 

Edited by Flop

On 10/20/2023 at 4:12 AM, SmileSlice said:

Thanks to PS Plus, I was able to try this out for free tonight. I remember a lot of negative press when it first launched, but I’m having an absolute blast with it so far.

I mean Batman: Arkham Knight from 2015 (PS4) looks and plays better then (PS5) Gotham Knights from 2022. In vacuum it might be fun and all but that doesn't justify need to buy new console. At least i expected more from new gen and i think many people expected more too. It shows again that talented people make great game not better specs.

It's not unplayable garbage but it could be more, it had room to be more, it is just what it is.

spacer.png

Unknowing person given "PS4-2015" and "PS5-2022" and told to match to the game would match to the other one.

Edited by WiktorM101

On 10/19/2023 at 8:00 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

That one where you could hear people list off 50 things wrong with it, and can only sagely nod your head going, "yup, that's true..."

I don't think I have one, based on this point here.

There are games I've played which have a poor critical reception and critique from the general gaming public but I would often find that, whilst I can honestly admit to flaws, I'd be able to defend many of the criticisms. If I can't, then there's a strong chance I don't really like the game all that much myself. I surely would be putting up some kind of a defensive case.

There's some instances of 'so bad it's good' but not really any examples where I've unironically loved or greatly enjoyed something that I can measurable say is 'objectively bad' by my own metrics.

I do have a soft spot for laughing at and with particularly jank and weird games though and I watch a streamer who ends up playing much of these. I've had a blast watching the dude beat Giraffe Town or Lisel Engle Heavy Distance among many others that I probably can't name off the top of my head.

Call of Duty: Ghosts, since launch its been my favourite Call of Duty. I liked having a new story instead of another mw* or bo. Although the overall story isn't as good as previous ones, with even some outright bad acting (when your dad takes of his mask in the helicopter). The story was really good for me. I liked the family bonding, also as always your squad is made up of basically demigods who can take down an army with just the 4 man group. This time however, you also hunt down your old leader turned rogue, who just like your squad is to the regular armies is one step ahead of your squad. You escape impossible fights during the story, but so does he. The cliffhanger at the end really shows how screwed you and your group are now. The only thing i'd change is the pace of this story. Focus more on the bond in your family, let the Ghosts be a legend for a while longer and have the invasion of america start more grandiose and maybe a bit later in the story, like how it was done in mw2 and 3.

I really enjoyed the perk system in Ghosts (Basically mw2/3's, except all individual skills are now accessible separately, so you could have the pro perks from stalker pro combined with totally different perks. You can also opt out of nades and secondaries for more perks). I also enjoyed the support kill streaks, especially how you could combine them (become a juggernaut in a sniper helicopter sniping with rocket launchers instead of a sniper lmao). I think the sat com was alright, but it should have been the support variant of a uav. Get 4 kills without dying in between and you'd get a regular uav. I also really enjoyed the customisation in the game. The fact that every prestige had its own soldier was amazing, and i'd try to give all soldiers certain roles, also i would give them a patch and background that would colour match, with every soldier getting a separate colour or theme (made an extinction soldier in mp for example). I also think the prestige emblems where the best cod had. I agree on an individual basis both BO2 and AW had some cooler images, but i really liked how in this game your prestige symbol evolved. Finally the DLC guns where amazing, to this day the Maverick assault rifle is my favorite gun from any cod ever. Ripper was very cool too.

Ofcourse, the maps were to big, but there were many great maps too, such as Strikezone and Warhawk. Later they added 24/7 playlists for the first time in cod history to give people a short map with rotating game modes, the map would chance every other week. Also Freefall was made available for everyone, adding another small map to the mix. The DLC packs really showed to me that the devs listened to the (harsh and too unfair imo) feedback and made many more great small and medium sized maps with fun lay outs, great kill streaks and better colour schemes. Great game modes also softened the blow, cranked, search and rescue, infected (which was implemented best in this game out of all cods so far imo), and drop zone pushed people to play aggressive and attracted the people who were bored of the campers in TDM.

Squad mode had a lot of potential but sadly people didn't play it enough. The fact that you could fight along side your earlier soldiers which would take the role you gave them based on their gun and perks was amazing. Survival mode came back and this was the thing i was most excited for pre launch, since i skipped bo2 (saved up money for a new console) and played survival on mw3 as my main thing for two years. Sadly it was implemented very awkward, the bots were also a bit cheesy. Considering that this was a second gamemode, added in basically the fourth main thing from the game (apart from the normal SP, MP and Specops/zombies/aliens) i wouldn't have minded if this was a carbon copy from mw3's survival mode just on the ghost maps. Infact, it would have been way more fun then.

Finally the actual third mode, extinction, this mode is my personal favorite out of the ''extra'' modes we had so far. Zombies always felt a bit boring to me, what i disliked the most was how easy it was to get stuck on either the map or a group of zombies. Survival was great, but so far only mw3 implemented this good enough and without prestiging there wasn't enough to do either. The fast paced action from extinction combined with a challenge every wave made it more fun for me. The ingame skillpoints and the overall teeth were also a fun way to slowely go from a survivor to someone who hunted the aliens down. The story was also amazing. The DLC maps were all great, with Nightfall being my personal favorite.

*When i mention modern warfare or black ops in this little review i mean the original ones, not the mediocre reboots.

I wouldn’t say ”worst” like ”bad”, because if I thought the game to be bad, I wouldn’t love it, but I’d say the far from perfect one that really let me leave my brains in the locker room and just enjoy its (sometimes cringy) Tarantino/Rodriguez-inspired B double feature tone would be WET.

Sonic Unleashed received mixed reviews, but I enjoyed the game and imo it deserved better review scores than it got from Eurogamer, Gamespot, IGN, and others. IGN gave Sonic Unleashed a 4.5/10 review back in 2008.

Ironically in 2022, IGN rated Sonic Unleashed in the top 10 Sonic games of all time saying "Sonic Unleashed gets a bad rap, and conversation surrounding it often focuses on its weaker elements, specifically the werehog bits. A lot of the criticism is warranted, but it also shouldn’t entirely take away from the fact that when Sonic Unleashed is good, it’s some of the best 3D Sonic there’s ever been. It also remains one of the best-looking Sonic games despite being 14 years old, plus the soundtrack is fantastic, and above all else, Sonic Unleashed feels fast. It totally nails that sensation of being the fastest thing alive as you tear through levels leaving a trail of absolute destruction full of crushed boxes, tables, enemies, and more. It’s the most uneven of the mainline Sonic games, but we still feel it deserves a spot on this list."

Drakengard 3. Story is fantastic, soundtrack is one of the best in games, but god it plays mediocre at best and runs like absolute dogshit.

DmC also comes to mind. That game is legitimately really fun, and has some great aesthetics and music. The characters and plot are objectively TERRIBLE however.

I loved Deadly Premonition, the story and music and even the clunky gameplay.

Resident Evil 6, I mean I don´t love it but I enjoyed it a lot more than 4 which I don´t think many people did.

DmC 2 I had more fun than 1 and I stopped playing 3 because I was bored of it.

Hitman Absolution I always have fun playing it even on the harder difficulties, but I love the new games too. Never really liked Blood money.

There are definitly a lot more but these come to mind.

Another two have come to mind for similar reasons - AER Memories of Old and Planet Alpha

Both got middling reviews but I absolutely loved both, especially AER. It's a truly beautiful game and wide open from the season you finish the prologue. It's very short but I am obsessed with the low poly, Journey-esque aesthetic and found the dungeons very engaging even if simple. Planet Alpha is more of a Inside-like, but it's also visually stunning and I again found the puzzles fun. I don't know why both reviewed in the 60's because both were 9/10 games for me. Imagine it's the gameplay-light nature of them.