What is the worst game you love?

DrBloodmoney

1 minute ago, WiktorM101 said:

Deadly Premonition

It looks like ps2 game (not exaggeration)

Has stupid momemts and not best good gameplay but when you sink in the twin peaks climate of the game it all fits well. Better graphics or gameplay or music transisions would only worsen whole expierience. 

I hate myself for forgetting this one . I even got the platinum !

• Like 1

For me it's Immortal: Unchained.

spacer.png

I just love it and will replay it every year as I associate it with my birthday for some reason.

It's a Souls-like with guns that is just full of jank and there're so many bad opinions about it to be found online that I can't disagree with but for some reason they just all gel with me to make this perfect personal game.

Level design is fantastic (except the end maze)

Mobs put you under the right amount of pressure

Bosses are well designed and well written

weapons all feel different enough that you never get bored trying them out

There's a lot more to be desired about it because there's an obvious case of not enough money. I'm really disappointed I never got to play the DLC before the publishers delisted it.

The Dynasty Warriors series. No idea why I like them, I shouldn't, they are objectively bad, always have been since the first game I played of the series, which was the 3rd one for PS2, but somehow I have fun playing them and time passes unnaturally fast whenever I do. I still replay the games 3-5 sometimes, both normal version and some empire versions.

• Like 3

Hyperdimension Neptunia. The PS3 version

I know it's not great, even by the time, but I just loved it for its stupid humor and just...silliness really. It was just entertaining and hey, it was enough to make me get the platinum, which happens to be my very first platinum as well.

Besides, I don't think it's the WORST jrpg ever - I can name a few who I think are worse, but not without causing a war. But I know it's not a great game either and that's fine. I still love it, and the Neptunia games are one of my guilty pleasures to this day.

I will die on the hill that, whilst flawed, The Order: 1886 is a really decent game that was really harshly reviewed. There are issue with it - the final 30% of the game really falls apart, ends badly, and it is too short. However, to this day, it looks amazing, combat is fun, VO good, characters interesting enough, and the set pieces are decent - for example, the airship chapter is one of my favourites in a 3rd person shooter. Also a very fun platinum. I would love a sequel given more time. 

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

We've all got at least one, I think...

...that game that you know - you know - is objectively bad... but you just love it anyways!

That one where you could hear people list off 50 things wrong with it, and can only sagely nod your head going, "yup, that's true..."

...but somehow, it just finds a loophole in your brain, bypasses all logic circuits, and lands directly in the soft, nougat-like pleasure-centre, and makes it's home regardless!

For me, I think it's probably Shadow of Memories for the PS2.

154334-Shadow-of-Memories-Europe-En-Fr-De-Es-It-1455649628.jpg    a614e579-7305-47c5-bb91-e08d068ae146.png

It's dialogue is terrible...

it's paced ridiculously...

it's graphics are bizarre...

...it's set in Japano-europe (complete with nonsensical amalgamations of European things that make no sense)...

...it's main character is made out of 90% legs and 9% Emo and 1% My Chemical Romance Cosplay...

...it all takes place in a town where there's like 20 characters, every one of which is defended from identical people in the same town, all of whom who have the same personalities...

...and it's ending is so dumb and hackneyed, that I almost had a stroke...

...yet for some reason, I just don't care, and something about it just makes me absolutely love it anyways! 🤣

Interestingly enough, this reviewed in the 70's back in the day. Critically, at least, it didn't do too badly. I take your opinions very seriously though, and admittedly your critique seems like this would fulfil the "guilty pleasure" criteria rather than "critical darling" criteria 😂

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Interestingly enough, this reviewed in the 70's back in the day. Critically, at least, it didn't do too badly. I take your opinions very seriously though, and admittedly your critique seems like this would fulfil the "guilty pleasure" criteria rather than "critical darling" criteria 😂

Oh, it definitely had some novel ideas at the time - TBH, a "big" (ish) game like that one from a publisher like Konami that didn't have any combat was fairly novel, and conceptually, it is a cool game, and it wasn't like, broken or a technical mess or anything, so I'd expect it probably did okay...

...but even then, the jank and silliness was absolutely through the roof - and has only gotten more endearing over time! 😂

Sonic '06. 

I know, I know...I agree with all the crap that game has gotten over the years. It's weird, it's clunky...but I honestly think there was a brilliant game there underneath all the garbage and bad implementation of mechanics...and...bestiality. I liked the idea of the story being told from three perspectives and having to traverse the game with their specific skill set and seeing it all come together in the end. 

11307C9OKrAfDcPjyBjqoo1BIg02NeYKFIjfQlgt

Basically "Uncharted at home", nearly every aspect of this game is questionable; gameplay, graphics / visuals, character's dialogue / voice acting etc.

The title character (Adam, of course) is quite immature, it's difficult to not be laughing at him (emphasis on at him) for his various quips said throughout and if you ask me which one's my favourite, here it is:

Spoiler

Adams-Venture-Origins-20230526002703.jpg

Adam's Venture: Origins is a stellar example of a "so bad it's good" title, certainly one I'd recommend to any player seeking a good-bad adventure game experience. It offers an easy platinum trophy that can be achieved in a couple of hours too (though one might need to use guide(s) for assistance with various puzzles).

Edited by Dry

I wouldn't go as far as to say I 'love' this game, but it stuck with me longer than I expected given how mediocre it is: 

L738c30.png

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine is a narrative adventure game where you travel across the US collecting 'stories' from the many interesting people that you come across. The game itself is so, so bad in many ways: 

• Traversal is a *massive* chore. Slow, clunky and monotonous
  • The map is barren, ugly and boring 
  • There are sleep, food and health mechanics, which seem kinda unnecessary given the style of the game 
  • The open-world graphics (if you care about that) are terrible

But putting aside all that, this game has a kernel of something really interesting in it. The soundtrack is awesome, and I still listen to it occasionally. The writing, voice acting and illustrations in-game are all really good, setting a perfect Depression-era vibe. And some of the stories you collect are pretty compelling; some spooky, some funny, but mostly tragic. 

It's a game that had some real potential, but falls quite badly short because it struggles to know what it is. It's supposedly a narrative tale, but it's jammed with a bunch of random gameplay elements (like health bars, equipment and 'mini games') that all feel slapped on.

So yeah, it's an objectively meh game – but one that I think has some value. A game to be studied, not to be played perhaps... 

Edited by Finch_III
  • Like 3

PS1:
Driver 2:
frame drops and pop ups as hell, the cop A.I. is the most ridicilious difficulty I have ever seen in any video game and some of these missions were very unfair back in the day but Driver 2 is still on of my fav games of the ps1 era. 
The music still blasts.

PS3:
Deadly Premonition.
Is a love me or hate me game and I loved it tho.

Drakengard 3
good story with the lowest fps I have ever exp in a game.

Asura's Wrath:
Combat could be better, loved the story, putting the true ending into a DLC was a bad move, but I read somewhere that they did this because they wanted to do a sequel but this games sold so bad that they still wanted to release that ending, if that's the case I'm okay with that.

Duke Nukem Forever:
I liked that game and the dlc was even better. Of course people hyped it up years after years and where disappointed when this game didn't reach their hype level. Yeah the graphics were outdated but it's Duke. It had fun minigames. The story is the same as usual. Rescuing the world of alien bastards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JusttJD said:

7 days to Die.

Ran like crap on the PS4, but loved playing it regardless.

I just got done with that one, and I gotta say I agree. I usually review the games I play on another site, and it was SO hard to set the score on this since it's NOT a good game; it looks bad, runs poorly, has some strange systems in place. But I really enjoyed the time I spent with it, especially in multiplayer with a few friends. Thankfully, I didn't have any crashes at all during my time with it and that's probably something that could've really soured me on it.

I'll also mention Escape Dead Island, though that one might be classified as bad by people just because it's not like the other Dead Island games. I've never played any of the others, and I got this one only for the doge meme trophy, but I liked it. I found the humour quite funny, and the game was just about the right length for something like it, and the odd story worked for me. So it might  not count for this list, as I didn't even think of it as bad; pretty basic with the gameplay, but the other good parts pulled it up for me, and I remember my playthroughs pretty fondly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I will die on the hill that, whilst flawed, The Order: 1886 is a really decent game that was really harshly reviewed. There are issue with it - the final 30% of the game really falls apart, ends badly, and it is too short. However, to this day, it looks amazing, combat is fun, VO good, characters interesting enough, and the set pieces are decent - for example, the airship chapter is one of my favourites in a 3rd person shooter. Also a very fun platinum. I would love a sequel given more time. 

The Order 1886 is, in my opinion, a great game, which really showcased the technological and visual power of the PS4, and still holds up well, but yes I very much agree on the point that people make saying it's too short. Granted, it could be considered "short and sweet" but I would have loved to see a sequel or something to expand on the game and it's storyline.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To add to this thread, as someone who has plenty of experience with terrible games, I am going to mention Real Farm. Bearing in mind of course that this game is not as great as the Farming Simulator games, but it is still pretty decent. Granted, simulators vary a lot in terms of how good/bad they are, and while this one is not the worst I've played, it's not the best either. It's just a tad janky. 

60c0decf8403a8813813ac7e_Screenshot_RFGE_1920x1080_2.jpg

I will also mention Tourist Bus Simulator, which suffers from the same level of jank, but given it's a different genre of simulator. 

Just Trains - Tourist Bus Simulator

Tourist Bus Simulator is certainly a lot of fun but I think a lot of people haven't played it partly due to being only on PS5 (as opposed to PS4 as well) - Definitely one game I could happily play again. 

Edited by Maxine
  • Like 1

For me it's Postal 2 (PC) from 2003.

Postal 2 - Wikipedia

For those who don't know, it's a combination of GTA, Deus Ex & Duke Nukem. As the Postal Dude, your objective is to get through the levels (days in game, there are 5 of them, i.e. Monday-Friday) by doing things of your to-do list (get milk, get to a clinic, get people to sign a petition, etc.). Now, in every level something will happen & you can complete that segment by killing everyone or avoiding gunfight all together (infect, you can finish the entire game & not kill anyone).

On it's release, the game got very negative reviews with most having issues with toilet humor (there's a button to unzip your pants), racial stereotypes, drug use (you can "use" catnip to slowdown time), animal cruelty (you can use cats as silencers) & excessive violence (again, as stated above, you can finish the entire game without killing anyone).

There 2 DLCs for the game:

Apocalypse Weekend (2005) - Expands the main game with 2 additional levels set on Saturday & Sunday.

Paradise Lost (2015) - Set 11 years after Apocalypse Weekend.

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 1

Star Wars Battlefront (2015). It's janky and very basic, especially the starfighter modes, but I actually liked it more than the sequel and had a ton of fun playing, especially after I'd boosted to Level 100 so had a ton of star cards to spend, which gave me an advantage as I could just spam my scanner to see where everyone else was the whole game. Outside of TLOU Factions and Trackmania Turbo it's probably the game I've poured the most hours into, though I imagine it's probably dead now.

• Like 3