GameStop to close 120 stores

kidson2004

Not surprising at all. By me there are two GameStop stores within spitting distance. Once used to be Funcoland and the other was an EB games. GameStop bought both of them (I guess) and they're going to close the smaller one because why would you have two stores that close? 

When your company has bought out a ton of other gaming stores and you take over their building, you'll just be competing with yourself. Close some stores that are close together and you can save your company tons of money.

Parker

• Like 2

It probably should be in Off Topic..

From what I heard they are terrible for most part, they got closed down here ages ago.

They really aren't. Yeah you have your stores that are full of assholes and they try to make you pre-order shit all the time, but generally the workers are respectful and semi-knowledgeable about video games. 

But just like gamers, the actions of the minority make the majority look like idiots and then people start to generalize a whole community based off the actions of a few idiots. 

Parker

• Like 4

Not surprising at all. By me there are two GameStop stores within spitting distance. Once used to be Funcoland and the other was an EB games. GameStop bought both of them (I guess) and they're going to close the smaller one because why would you have two stores that close? 

When your company has bought out a ton of other gaming stores and you take over their building, you'll just be competing with yourself. Close some stores that are close together and you can save your company tons of money.

Parker

We have that as well with Malls. You will have one in the mall and one in a strip mall. That way you get the mall traffic and then you also get the wal-mart/sobeys/restaurant traffic.

What I find really funny is 7-11. I know Manitoba is the slurpee capital of the world but I can literally walk to about 5 7-11s from my apartment within 15 minutes. That is insane.

They really aren't. Yeah you have your stores that are full of assholes and they try to make you pre-order shit all the time, but generally the workers are respectful and semi-knowledgeable about video games. 

But just like gamers, the actions of the minority make the majority look like idiots and then people start to generalize a whole community based off the actions of a few idiots. 

Parker

I didn't say the workers were idiots, but I have heard their Used section of games is just like the CEX stores here, it's overpriced.  It's nice that the workers are half decent though.. come to UK and into GAME and it's like they purposely hire people with no gaming experience.. at least that's how the GAME stores are like in my area when the good manager left :(

I didn't say the workers were idiots, but I have heard their Used section of games is just like the CEX stores here, it's overpriced.  It's nice that the workers are half decent though.. come to UK and into GAME and it's like they purposely hire people with no gaming experience.. at least that's how the GAME stores are like in my area when the good manager left :(

The more popular games are generally higher priced at GameStop (for obvious reasons) but from the games I've compared on eBay their prices are pretty competitive. People complain about their low trade in prices too, but when it is 2014 and you trade in Madden '10, how many people do you think are going to come to GameStop and buy a copy of a 4 year old sports game? Again, the more popular games have a higher trade in value and GameStop runs a lot of deals too where you can get double the value of a trade in if you put it towards another game. 

Parker

• Like 1

The people at the Gamestop I used to go to are idiots that let little kids walk up and buy Call of Duty type games unsupervised.  Then there's the fact that I always used to beat their stupid little game schedule and being asked by a clerk what platform I wanted 3D Dot Game Heroes on.

I hope mine doesn't close, it only opened around 2 years ago & it's the only one for about 40 miles, the employees are pretty nice too. Before it opened here the only place I could find games where at Wal-Mart, & I don't know about others but this one must hate JRPGs because I could never find any there, so I haven't bought a game there since.

Parker

Yeah, I have to agree with this. The GameStop closest to where I used to live was bad and the guy that worked there, he was the only one I ever saw, acted like if you weren't a regular then he didn't want to bother with you.

On the other hand, the 2 closest ones to where I'm at now have been phenomenal. When Two Worlds 2 came out I had preordered the Royal Edition for PS3, it didn't come in and they worked together for 2-3 months to get it in for me. I was the only one in the district that preordered it so there weren't other locations they could try to pull from either.

I hope mine doesn't close, it only opened around 2 years ago & it's the only one for about 40 miles, the employees are pretty nice too. Before it opened here the only place I could find games where at Wal-Mart, & I don't know about others but this one must hate JRPGs because I could never find any there, so I haven't bought a game there since.

If you're talking about never finding a JRPG at that Wal-Mart I'm not surprised. I don't think I've ever seen a single JRPG for any system at a Wal-Mart in probably the past 10 years or more.

If you're talking about never finding a JRPG at that Wal-Mart I'm not surprised. I don't think I've ever seen a single JRPG for any system at a Wal-Mart in probably the past 10 years or more.

So it's not just me then, what the hell does Wal-Mart have against JRPGs!? onion-head-smiley-00014.gif

So it's not just me then, what the hell does Wal-Mart have against JRPGs!? onion-head-smiley-00014.gif

lol well every one I've been in has a tiny space for games, like maybe 3-4 columns per system, so I think it has to do with limited space so they tend to go with just the mainstream ones like shooters, sports, racing, action, etc.

As a former Gamestop employee I can attest to the fact you have your asshole Gamestop employees and your normal ones. Albeit in the end this means tons of people/gamers are going to be unemployed soon. :-( Just for that fact alone this is sad.

As far as them closing them down... there are a ton in metropolitan areas so those with just 1 probably don't have to worry. In my city alone (Knoxville) there are 8 I can think of off the top of my head. If you count Oak Ridge then 9. There used to be 10.

And next time you go into a Gamestop and they annoyingly press you to get a Gamestop card or pre-order something keep in mind:

1. They HAVE to do that. That's their job. There are secret shoppers and we could be in serious trouble if we don't try.

2. Employees are ranked by their reserve/subscription numbers. Therefore if you have low numbers and someone has to be let go you are at risk.

3. We don't price the games; Headquarters does. We agree, it sucks.

4. We don't sell things to kids. I've ruined many a 8 year old's day by explaining what GTA or Red Dead was to their mom and by teaching the parents to look to see why a game gets a rating.

5. We hate putting stickers on things and throwing away DS cases too. It made my soul hurt.

6. Managers make us sell your preorder if you don't pick it up within 24 hours. I'm sorry, we have no control.

7. If the store is busy please understand if we can't chat. We literally have to greet every customer within 30 seconds.

8. We're people too. And we're gamers just like you. We're trying to make money.

9. They make us unwrap one new copy of a game for the show floor, it's still new.

10. You're getting Tales of Hearts R thanks to them.

That was a defense of the employees rather than the company. Gamestop itself is not great to work for but a job's a job. It was fun. Except for alphabetizing the games. PLEASE put games back where you found them.

The people at the Gamestop I used to go to are idiots that let little kids walk up and buy Call of Duty type games unsupervised.  Then there's the fact that I always used to beat their stupid little game schedule and being asked by a clerk what platform I wanted 3D Dot Game Heroes on.

• Like 1