World Cup 2014

Connie

Yeah, I probably should have predicted the scores using my head instead of my heart, but I did think Colombia and Belgium had a decent chance to win their games. Ah well, it wasn't to be.

We (Belgium) deserved to win, it was total luck that Higuain got the ball to score and they didn't create any chance after that (apart from the 1 v 1 Messi). On top of that, the ref clearly favored Argentina. This world cup looks more and more corrupt to me every match... I really hope Germany becomes world champion !

What a tactical genius Van Gaal, you guys say what you want but Holland played well, i dont care if the score was 0-0, they absolutely dominated the game. And that substitute right at the end, he knew what he was doing, and i can't wait for him to join Man united next season.

They dominated, but Costa Rica was never trying to dominate themselves. It looked rather obvious they intended to let the Netherlands play to their hearts' content while they tried to harm them mostly with counter-attacks. I agree with that last substitution, but the rest of the match he didn't really tell his players what to do to get past all those opposing players. Their most dangerous plays came from free kicks and rebounds, not from their own playmakers nor strikers.

He also should've scolded them for being caught offside so much, they looked like amateurs in most of those plays...

• Like 1

I hate how everyone is talking trash about the Netherlands. Most of our players are a bunch of amateurs and we are doing amazing with the team we have. Van Gaal really is a tactical genius, because none of the other coaches have had that much influence on the results yet. Look at Spain for example, they have the world's best players and we kicked their ass. All credits go to our players and the coach, because we, as a team, fought really hard for that result. You are calling all of our wins crap, but in the meanwhile we have defeated every team that we came across. Does this mean for you the other teams are even more crap? I don't think so... Costa Rica has had an amazing World Cup and performed really well. The Netherlands was playing so much better and we could've easily won the game 3-0 maybe 4-0 with some more luck. Yes, there are always things you can complain about. Van Persie was playing awful and imo he should've been substituted after the first half. That didn't happen and it turned out to be the key thing to win this match: we had 1 substitution left, so the coach could substitute the goalkeeper. The game was really intense and I think everyone found this to be a great game with an even better conclusion. Do I think they are going to win the World Cup? No I don't, but I would also like to say that I didn't expect them to get this far in the first place. I do believe we do have a chance at winning the world cup, because football is unpredictable and that's what makes it fun to watch.

Sorry, but that's not really an excuse. Van Gaal has been doing his job well (hard to deny), but his players are not delivering. None of them are 'a bunch of amateurs', they play professional football in some of Europe's finest leagues (the Eredivise might not be as strong as before,but it's still a league with great football, and one of the best football schools in the world). Spain's ass was kicked alright, but you're forgeting how at least 3 of those goals came from blatantly horrible mistakes, which are hardly something to brag about ("We scored 5 goals! 3 of them weren't thanks to ourselves but to the opposition fucking up, but we're the best!"). I also find it funny you only mention the only match the Netherlands won without any opposition (not counting today's) - what happened to Australia having them by the throat? How about Chile playing them to a stalemate for most of the match? What about Mexico nearly kicking their asses, and them winning thanks to the ref helping them out with a fake penalty? Those matches were full of horrendous mistakes by the players themselves, and they were the kind of mistakes you expect any player that plays professionally to avoid at all costs. This team isn't really on-par with what we saw 4 years ago, and even though they don't have most of the players from back then, their best players are still there - and two of them have improved tremendously since then.

I think all the other teams are crap as well. No team's really playing well this tournament.

Argentina has won all of their matches, but it's been rather obvious they're hardly a good team. Di Maria has so far been their best player (regardless of Messi scoring most of the goals), and it proved to be true today, when he got sub'd and Argentina stopped being as big a threat as before.

Germany has also played awful except for their first match, which happened thanks to a lot of convenient stuff like Portugal's striker getting injured and Pepe being awarded a red card. That helped them dominate them completely and beat them up, but in the next matches they showed they lack a strong midfield and a better organization, not to mention their defense's weakness against fast-paced gameplay and long passes (which was proved yesterday by France). Their dreaded "luck" is what's helped them get so far again, but unlike previous tournaments they lack the gameplay to back it up.

As for Brazil, I don't think I need to say why they blow. I'll just mention that any team that has Fred as their main striker is a truly sad team. It's even funnier when you consider Jo and him could play together against Germany, when they're both terrible lol. Makes you wonder if that's all it takes to play at a World Cup, too :|.

As for the match itself, I found it to be pretty entertaining, but that's about it. It lacked better football (like almost every match in this World Cup). Robben was probably the guy who played the best, and he didn't exactly play that well today.

I don't think anyone (realistically) expected them to get this far, either, but same goes for a lot of other teams, such as Chile, Costa Rica, Colombia, Mexico, USA, Greece, etc. I'll give it to you, though, shit's unpredictable - especially this year, what with all that's happened in the past 3 weeks.

Tuesday 8th July 

1 - Brazil v Germany - 2

Wednesday 9th July 

3 - Netherlands v Argentina - 1

I don't think I can even get to the top of the ladder anymore :P

Edited by Ric

Tuesday 8th July 

Brazil 2-1 Germany 

Wednesday 9th July 

Netherlands 1-2 Argentina