Here's an idea, Diamond Trophies!

Ivotas

Could work!

Might get a little strange for games with “single trophy” dlcs…

…but it would certainly make things easier for the organisers of the “DLC Clean-Up Events”! 🤔

You know what would happen if they did add something like this though…

…the “no plat no play” crowd would be frothing at the mouth with apoplectic rage… since a DLC for some games  would then have a closer thing to a platinum trophy than some full games do! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Per your idea I would have rather seen such a Diamond trophy as awarded for reaching 100% completion on a game that includes at least one DLC pack with associated trophies - which also means this trophy could be withdrawn every time a new DLC pack is added. Not sure it’s a good idea but be kind, I’m still recovering from New Year’s Eve 🙂

You mean like to stay with the Uncharted 3 example, if I just have all trophies on the main game but stay at an about 75% completion I'd have just a platinum but if I have 100% completion I'd have a plat AND a diamond trophy? Interesting idea but personally I feel that would make the platinum lower than a diamond. But hey, who am I to judge. That's an interesting take.

44 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Could work!

Might get a little strange for games with “single trophy” dlcs…

…but it would certainly make things easier for the organisers of the “DLC Clean-Up Events”! 🤔

Yeah, thought about that too. You have just one or two bonus trophies and then you get a bonus diamond trophy. But hey, you still pay for the DLC in many cases so why not get a diamond trophy out of it?^^

44 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You know what would happen if they did add something like this though…

…the “no plat no play” crowd would be frothing at the mouth with apoplectic rage… since a DLC for some games  would then have a closer thing to a platinum trophy than some full games do! 🤣

Yees, yeees! 😈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

True!

Hell, I’d just be happy if some DLCs got trophies at all😂

There’s so little consistency to it…

you have some games like Calisto Protocol or Far Cry 6 that add DLC trophies like a never-ending conveyer belt, for what essentially amounts to a series of “DLCs” that might as well be called

Far Cry 6: Please Don’t Trade In Our Game Oh Please For The Love Of God We Need These Jobs Edition

…and yet something like Hitman’s Freelancer Mode, or Tetris Effect: Connected, which have literally HUNDREDS of hours of quality awesome in them get no trophies at all!

I hear you mate. While I usually don't mind if a game doesn't get DLC trophies I can absolutely relate to the inconsistency on a larger scale. Sometimes it feels like some games give you a DLC trophy for something that is not more than a patch while others with huge additions don't do anything.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

I hear you mate. While I usually don't mind if a game doesn't get DLC trophies I can absolutely relate to the inconsistency on a larger scale. Sometimes it feels like some games give you a DLC trophy for something that is not more than a patch while others with huge additions don't do anything.

Exactly - a DLC not getting trophies can be silly, but it’s not the end of the world…

…but for a nicely produced, good dlc like, say, that one for God of War Ragnarok that came out recently, it does feel a little anti-climactic when the last trophy pops - just doesn’t quite have that “platinum finality” to it!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Interesting idea but personally I feel that would make the platinum lower than a diamond. But hey, who am I to judge. That's an interesting take.

Well yeah, it should make the platinum lower. You've done *more* than is required for the platinum at that point, so it should be worth more.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Exactly - a DLC not getting trophies can be silly, but it’s not the end of the world…

…but for a nicely produced, good dlc like, say, that one for God of War Ragnarok that came out recently, it does feel a little anti-climactic when the last trophy pops - just doesn’t quite have that “platinum finality” to it!

Yep, that's one of the things that's always missing IMO. That's why I've made it a habit recently to have my platinum be the last trophy I earn if possible. Keeps the finality of it if I do the DLC before.

2 hours ago, BrickwallBill said:

Well yeah, it should make the platinum lower. You've done *more* than is required for the platinum at that point, so it should be worth more.

Can't say that I can argue with that logic. While I for some reason prefer the idea of having a diamond trophy per pack your logic is absolutely sound.^^

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

hey that's me lol

but wouldn't this insinuate that a diamond trophy has more "value" than platinum? 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Per your idea I would have rather seen such a Diamond trophy as awarded for reaching 100% completion on a game that includes at least one DLC pack with associated trophies - which also means this trophy could be withdrawn every time a new DLC pack is added. Not sure it’s a good idea but be kind, I’m still recovering from New Year’s Eve 🙂

I've always thought of this as the next step in trophy tiers. We live in a time where most games are going to get DLC trophies, so rewarding 100% with a clear indicator makes a lot of sense. It requires more effort to 100% a game, so it makes sense the Diamond Trophy would be a higher tier.

Sony will never change the system though. And this site barely gets updates anymore. I think the last two major updates we got were adding PS5 trophies and the forum revamp. 

• Like 2

Diamond for DLC is interesting

Diamond for every DLC I think is messy IMO, a diamond for 100% would feel more appropriate, especially as a diamond can be given an accurate rarity too that we already see on our profiles. New DLC added, you will need to get back to 100% to achieve the diamond. One diamond per game.

A banner system was suggested that would give a banner for achieving 100% but it got into another argument with words being thrown around. Some people don't like banners, maybe diamonds will make them feel more jolly.

Cleverly worded OP saying this is more a fun idea, hopefully no pitchforks will be wielded.

I'm a "No plat, no play" 👍

• Like 1

I think there would be too many Diamonds, and a lot of times you'd get one for earning one or two DLC trophies as a lot of DLC lists are that short.

But what about non-plat games? Those that only award 100%?

It would have probably made more sense back when PSN games followed the 1/4/7 rule pretty standardly, and there seemed to be rhyme and reason to plat/non-plat games. At this point, you would just add a platinum and forgo the Diamond altogether!

It may have been a good idea if it happened right when PS4 launched or something. Kind of like a fresh start for trophies. Now I'd say it's too late to change things this much.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I've always thought of this as the next step in trophy tiers. We live in a time where most games are going to get DLC trophies, so rewarding 100% with a clear indicator makes a lot of sense. It requires more effort to 100% a game, so it makes sense the Diamond Trophy would be a higher tier.

Sony will never change the system though. And this site barely gets updates anymore. I think the last two major updates we got were adding PS5 trophies and the forum revamp. 

I really am starting to see the point. I guess the only reason why I guess I still stick with my idea besides being mine, is that a DLC trophy pack can be completed without having to having to complete the main game. Maybe it's just because ever since the PS4 the XMB lists trophy list starting giving individual DLCs their individual percentages that I felt that completion should come with a trophy that has some sense of finality to it.

But hey, we can have both. A "finality trophy" for completing the individual DLC pack and one for getting back to 100%. Which one should be Diamond and what the other should be called is far beyond me at that moment.^^

And yes, I do know that Sony will never revamp this. I guess that's why it makes it easier to just talk about this fantasy just for the sake of it without worrying that our input will have some serious consequences on what will officially happen.

22 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Diamond for DLC is interesting

Diamond for every DLC I think is messy IMO, a diamond for 100% would feel more appropriate, especially as a diamond can be given an accurate rarity too that we already see on our profiles. New DLC added, you will need to get back to 100% to achieve the diamond. One diamond per game.

A banner system was suggested that would give a banner for achieving 100% but it got into another argument with words being thrown around. Some people don't like banners, maybe diamonds will make them feel more jolly.

Cleverly worded OP saying this is more a fun idea, hopefully no pitchforks will be wielded.

I'm a "No plat, no play" 👍

Lol, didn't really have pitchforks and torches in mind but if that's such a tacky subject that I'm happy that I actually made that part clear. But now I'm worried that the pitfork crowd is usually the crowd that only reads the parts they want to get triggered at. :(

@yowzagabowza On that subject I think every game should have a Platinum trophy. I know that back in the PS3 days it was different with digital only games but nowadays crap like 'The Pig P' or 'My Name is Mayo' is digital only too and actually awards a Platinum trophy while other actual games don't do. Also considering that we are approaching a digital only future anyways, the PSN only moniker doesn't mean the same thing as it did back during the PS3 days. Just my personal take though on that subject.

PS: Sorry for not quoting your post. I couldn't copy past it into this already existing post so tagging you was the best I could do.^^'

Edited by Ivotas
  • Like 1

Would be awesome to get a trophy for 100% but I'm sorry for immediately thinking of the negative likelihood that if they ever make a change to the system it would be the opposite as in take your platinum away once the game gets more DLC just so they would get the "no plat no play" crowd more into buying often overpriced DLC's. They would also send you notifications asking you to come back to reclaim your platinum in this or that game... xD

• Like 1

Saw a similar idea on Reddit 3 weeks ago, except there's would be awarding a Diamond for having 100% of all trophies so long as the base game has a Plat. 

So I kinda like that better than being awarded a Diamond for EVERY DLC pack. But it'd be nice to have either way. 

• Like 1

I say yes, for the sole reason being that I want a this to be a real legitimate conversation.

Person 1: "Hey, I heard you got God of War Ragnorok for Christmas, did you Plat it yet?"

Person 2: "Hell yeah, I loved it so much that I Monded the DLC too."

• Like 1

I think this is a super fun idea, and I would welcome it, honestly! I think that the current trophy system works well, but this would be a pretty fun addition that would, admittedly, shake up things quite a bit lol

As many have said, I think a diamond per each piece of DLC would be a bit much but one overall for attaining the true 100% should be rewarded in some way, I feel.

Especially in games where the platinum may not be that difficult on its own, but the DLC added gives much more challenging trophies. RE7 and Sifu come to mind as just a few. 

I do recognize that this is nothing more than a pipe dream as Sony won't change the trophy system at this point, but it's a fun conversation if nothing else 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ivotas said:

On that subject I think every game should have a Platinum trophy. I know that back in the PS3 days it was different with digital only games but nowadays crap like 'The Pig P' or 'My Name is Mayo' is digital only too and actually awards a Platinum trophy while other actual games don't do.

blasphemy!

mayo is a goty material

• Like 1

Not against the idea outright. As platinums essentially act as a countable measure for base game completion it would be fun to have a countable measure for DLC pack completions as well. 

My main issue would be using diamond. Diamond just feels like a step up from platinum in my head so it'd be weird for a DLC pack completion to offer an award that sounds more prestigious lol. Looking at my stats I have only 3 less DLC packs completed than platinums, so, if this were always a thing or if they backdated it then... I'd be damn near close to overtaking my platinum count with diamonds xD. Reminds me a bit of the shovelware filled with golds making people have more golds than silvers or bronzes lol, that's just bizzare.

It could maybe feel more worth a diamond if it were offered to those who got 100% base game AND 100% in all DLCs but I feel that gets a bit sketchy as DLCs can be added, so do you strip people of those diamonds? They lose trophy XP/level down? Unless it's just a 0 point value completion tracker on your profile but then again you can do that by just having a 'completed games' number on PSN just like PSNP does.

All in all not something I'm really behind in a more serious capacity but it's a funny little idea to think about.

11 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That would be amusing to be honest, albeit a tad depressing to see some of the smaller DLC packs having a platinum equivalent whilst some larger full games remain platinum-less. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

My main issue would be using diamond. Diamond just feels like a step up from platinum in my head so it'd be weird for a DLC pack completion to offer an award that sounds more prestigious lol. Looking at my stats I have only 3 less DLC packs completed than platinums, so, if this were always a thing or if they backdated it then... I'd be damn near close to overtaking my platinum count with diamonds xD. Reminds me a bit of the shovelware filled with golds making people have more golds than silvers or bronzes lol, that's just bizzare.

Imagine having all DLC packs from Cities: Skylines or The Elder Scrolls Online. The amount of Diamonds would be huge.

• Like 1