How solo friendly is this game?

Jibxi

Yes, I already know that this is absolutely designed with teammates as a priority - but if I were to play this game solo, how enjoyable is it & are the trophies that much tougher (or even doable) 

Or is it even a case of don't even bother playing without friends/matchmaking for whatever reason

Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

Just now, soziaLSturmi said:

It is very friendly if your talking about playing maybe with randoms rather than completely solo but even then its doable and friendly BUT there are some trophies which you'll want to have teammates for. (1 trophy requires 3 player minimum) 

Appreciate the response! 

33 minutes ago, Jibxi said:

Yes, I already know that this is absolutely designed with teammates as a priority - but if I were to play this game solo, how enjoyable is it & are the trophies that much tougher (or even doable) 

Or is it even a case of don't even bother playing without friends/matchmaking for whatever reason

Thanks in advance 

you can play with randoms but careful some people are starting to grief others since you need only 1 shot not even on head to kill Ally so some toxicity spreading already,You can play 1-2 difficulty solo without issue but 3-9 is very hard unless you willing to Speedrun main objectives.Random players commonly don't care about exploring maps for Samples(you need a tons  of samples including the purple ones found only on Suicide -Impossible-Helldive) so they do main objective and go call the Shuttle asap

if you want to have randoms who want to explore all maps then you should unlock extreme (it's needed for trophy btw) difficulty or toughter because people who reach this difficulty are not stupid :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jibxi said:

Thanks in advance 

I'am a Helldivers Veteran and i need to say its possible maybe to Difficulty Hard but above no chance...

And in my Opinion i would not play this solo i have a 4 man sqaud and this is just the best game witha that.

Another Helldivers veteran reporting in. I played most of the time with randoms (with much success) and I could very comfortably run solo level 12 bugs (which was the hardest difficulty until they ramped it up to level 15 with free content upgrade) but some gameplay mechanics don't carry over that well to the new game.

Shooting patrols is the key in Helldivers. Dead patrols, easy runs. In Helldivers 2 they are much harder to spot and sometimes one of them is blocked from your view by the environment. Also they bring heavier friends. In Helldivers bug patrols were always weak, one shot-kill units and they always came in pack of threes.

Running away from the enemy was always an option. In Helldivers 2 stamina is limited. And again, you might miss a patrol because the bugs blend into the environment so much better.

It is absolutely meant to be played coop. But as @mati11120 already mentioned, the game attracted griefers (which Helldivers had so little) and therefor it is much tougher to play with randoms/matchmaking. You might want to look for coop partners on this site or on Reddit r/helldivers (they have a Discord).

• Like 2

Yet another Helldivers veteran here:

2 out of 3 gold trophies can be done solo now with the latest patch and going on a good map in defend missions. They made it easier.

Overall, I think the only trophies you would need help are these:

-Gone in 360 seconds!

-Caught them by Supplies!

-Samples are a diver's best friend

-It's the only way to be sure...

-Fully operational (I think this requires doing Suicide Missions, for getting very rare samples.)

-Promote Synergy

-Democracy ain't done with you yet

Helldivers 2 is still harder to solo, the latest patch seemed to tone down the difficulty, so I'll be attempting sample farming and upgrading all the way to extreme. I'm pretty sure the "Gone in 360 seconds" trophy is going to require a serious friend team, or getting matched with top tier randoms. Unfortunately lots of people are new and they don't really know which battles to fight.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Smaxoy said:

A little off-topic, but does this game requires Ps plus, if u play solo, or it's like Fallout 76 and PS+ requires to even boot up the game? 

I don't have the game yet, but the game box and the PS Store page has stated in their requirements that both Online play is required and PS Plus is required for online play, so my guess is yes, you'll need PS Plus even if you play solo, because you do connect to servers and aren't playing locally. Again, I don't have the game yet and a 100% answer can be given by someone who already has the game.

6 hours ago, veryrareoriginal said:

Managed to pull this off with just two of us. Blitz Robot planet and it was destroy only 3 of the spawner things

Took several attempts to get perfect RNG, but eventually got it.

Did you do it after ver 1.05 dropped?

On 2/13/2024 at 3:00 AM, MaRo-1000 said:

I'am a Helldivers Veteran and i need to say its possible maybe to Difficulty Hard but above no chance...

And in my Opinion i would not play this solo i have a 4 man sqaud and this is just the best game witha that.

Echoing and piggy backing off of this.. even hard on solo (tier 5) is damn hard as hell.. no chance of ever hoping to get anything nice from the higher tiers and in my honest opinion that’s what this game is ultimately about.. going to Helldive difficulty.. it’s literally in the name.. 

Trying to do 1 level 7 mission for the super rare samples… but as an solo player it’s literally impossible except you’re a god in this game…

And as someone without friends to play my only chance is to wait until there are only veterans left and sneak into a mission an collect them, lol.

I can do level 5 and some level 6s solo… but I can’t stand failing 7 over and over… and as an solo players it’s not a great experience. 

They should at least lower the enemy count for strictly solo players…

Though it’s not designed for solo play, you can still enjoy it a lot with random players. Actually, I’ve rarely encountered a mp game where dropping into a random player’s session as been more fun.

The community is super inclusive and you can have some incredible moments with strangers. In most of recent coop experiences (let’s say Dying Light 2 for instance), you’ll often get kicked as soon as you get in a lobby. Here, the common understanding is that the more people will populate a server, the more fun everyone will have.

So you’re technically not playing solo, but you shouldn’t hold on buying the game if you don’t have friends already playing it. 

Edited by duncanmcleod
  • Like 1

I would say doing solo from Trivial, Easy, Medium, Challenging and Hard with bugs is fine. Using the Guard Dog Rover/Shield and Grenade Launcher really helps. I can only do Extreme for Blitz Mission Solo. Other than that it just takes too much time because of the endless spawn of enemies including Titan you get overwhelmed pretty quick. 

I’ve been playing this solo, playing with random people and playing as part of a squad and I’ve had fun in every circumstance. Although it’s much better as a squad with a mic. You will need team players if you want to really get the most out of the game. 

I'm so glad I bought this, I’ve not had this much fun on a game in a very long time! 

The game is pretty horrible to play solo from what I've seen so far. Missions don't scale in difficulty based on the number of players in a mission. So if you are playing solo, the game will be significantly harder than if you have a full squad of 4. I know about the beacon stratagem which is supposed to make it more likely that people will join you from matchmaking, but I've used it multiple times and no one has joined. I've only been able to play with a squad by using quickplay (which is kind of annoying because you can't choose your mission if you use quickplay, as far as I can tell).

On 2/25/2024 at 9:53 AM, Dangisuckatgamin said:

They need to get rid of friendly fire.

Arrowhead will not eliminate friendly fire. It is part of the Helldiver experience. On lower difficulties it can be humorous, but on higher difficulties it forces everyone to work as a team. That is the kind of game Arrowhead strives to create. Fortunately, it is easy for the host to kick trolls.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2024 at 1:32 AM, soziaLSturmi said:

It is very friendly if your talking about playing maybe with randoms rather than completely solo but even then its doable and friendly BUT there are some trophies which you'll want to have teammates for. (1 trophy requires 3 player minimum) 

tbf the amount of times I've been killed by friendly fire then flamed for it is higher than being killed by actually bugs or robots

I've noticed that whenever someone mentions playing solo, people have to bring up "You can play with randoms". As if someone mentioned that they don't have friends to play with. Some of us don't like playing games with others, and would appreciate being able to play as much as we can of a game, without doing multiplayer. At least for me, randoms give me HUGE anxiety. I'm find with having some trophies that I won't be able to get. I've had to deal with that with plenty of other games over the years. Especially fighting games. With talk of the multiplayer getting toxic, that really keeps me away from even pushing past my anxiety to try and get those trophies.

One thing this game doesn't seem to be friendly with, is physical collectors. You can maybe order the game online from some retailers, but finding a copy at an actual store (at least in my area) is near impossible. 

• Like 2

Ye,
The problem I've been having with is other players being unprepared for bug maps on challenging+ difficulties. For reference, chargers spawn on challenging+ difficulties and I find that a lot of players usually dont bring some kind of explosive/armor piercing support and/or primary weapon to take care of a Charger's armor. Other players from what I've seen have problems with placing bombing runs way to close and general friendly fire. Like twice in a row, I've been shot in the head and blown up by a grenade by two separate players in 2 separate missions because they went "what is this?" then fired their weapon

Ok i understand the game might look difficult at first, and the latest patch kinda destroyed a good loadout to solo missions but i uploaded a couple video so you might reconsider.

The idea is not to show off any skill, but to help people realizing that this game is really badly built and you can take advantage of it.

Blitz missions on second video are really easy to execute, you dont have to shoot a single bullet and still extract with full samples if you want to (see second video)

I played like a dummy on purpose because i feel like this game is really overrated. But like... a lot.

Game is fun for some reason, but really mediocre in game design and execution. Kinda sad that most reviews only review the fun aspect they had instead of trying to understand the game design and how the game actually works (doesnt work in that case). Pretty far from what we have as Coop hordes game like Deep rock galactic or Vermintide 2.

Video 1 is Helldive solo no weapon and just troll stratagem that dont do anything.

Video 2 is Blitz solo no weapon just waiting patiently for the shuttle to come.

Edited by Shorah-