Why did they have to make it such a slog?

19 minutes ago, den-69 said:

See, I never really understood the praise the combat gets. I find it really easy? Like so much so that it is boring to me. I've had one game over and that was in the first few hours and everything after that has been just mindless attacking, rolling, using skills etc. I don't understand what people enjoy so much about the combat. It's just attack a bunch of times til you pressure/stagger them then you can kill them, rinse repeat. I think maybe if EXP and AP gained faster and there were fewer battles I wouldn't mind so much but the combat in Remake and Rebirth have both felt tedious to me because of the sheer volume of it. I never thought I'd think the old random battles were better but here we are lol. They at least were quicker to get through. A lot less tedious to me. I'm not finding Chapter 9 as boring (so far..) but that might quickly change...

try playing it on Hard mode and tell us if you still find it easy 😄

Normal mode is... Normal. Meaning it's not too easy or too challenging. The difficulty comes from getting the right materia and setups.

Do the Brutal VR challenges and a Hard mode run and then I guarantee you'll feel differently haha

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CosmoWolf_ said:

try playing it on Hard mode and tell us if you still find it easy 😄

Normal mode is... Normal. Meaning it's not too easy or too challenging. The difficulty comes from getting the right materia and setups.

Do the Brutal VR challenges and a Hard mode run and then I guarantee you'll feel differently haha

It's a good thing they make you play for 70+ hours to even get hard mode then.. Hard mode on Remake didn't make the game better either for what its worth. The combat still had the same flaws. It's long, repetitive and boring.

Edited by den-69
number of hours estimated probably too low lol

I agree with the sentiment. I have been absolutely loving the game so far, and there have been a couple of hiccups, but nothing compared to the goddamn hot mess chapter 11 has been. And not because of the open world, which I actually found to be the most enjoyable and engaging part of the chapter.

The. Box. Throwing. For 2 hours. It is so damn miserable. The whole of shinra manor was a disappointment to be honest (except the boss before you leave.) Why can't we explore the actual manor? Upstairs, off limits. Side rooms, off limits. And since when did it have a goddamn elevator? This ain't resident evil!

Sort of mirrors the issue I had with the Shinra Building in REMAKE. No keycards, no exploration or puzzles. No trail of blood or being locked up. No glass elevator boss. Just messing around in a lab for 2 hours. 

Heading into the final chapters now so hopefully it picks back up again! There is so much to love about this game! 

• Like 3

I was just in chapter 11 and at the start it didn't feel any different, first the open world stuff, then the story... Aaand then I got why c11 is getting all the hate, took me 3 boxes to understand. 

They went for quantity instead of quality, same approach they had with the Remake. Full focus was on great cutscenes and the amount of content included but not on the quality of it. At first it felt different, because of the more open environments and I was pleasantly surprised, but then it became a chore to play at times. And the amount of dumb design choices that make the game pretty unfriendly to play...

I mean, wanna look up to find your way in the more vertical locations? You get to look up 3 chocobo asses half the time, because why make them transparent at that time. Want to explore the open areas? Everything worth picking up is on map-marked locations and caches anyway, but watching Cloud jerk and twitch on every non-flat surface is by itself rewarding. Same as wondering if this ledge can be dropped off of, because it's so random, even on a chocobo that can glide. Tons of new mini games, but no chocobo breeding. I'm ranting a bit, but little things like this add up and it just doesn't feel all that good to play. And yeah, it is a slog if you go for the side content. Great story and cutscenes, decent combat (despite battles dragging a bit too) but the gameplay aside from that is pretty average. Quantity over quality. 

Edited by the1andonly654

On 3/9/2024 at 9:29 PM, MoreFuego said:

Chapter 11 was ass with that damn cat lmao, love this games combat tho

I was wondering what people were saying about Chapter 11. I got there last night. At first I was like I am loving the section with Cloud, Tifa, and Yuffie, but then the terrible box throwing with Cait Sith ruined the chapter for me. 

• Like 1

Chapter 11 was bad, but now I’m in chapter 13. I expected an epic, fast final dungeon to traverse but no… More unnecessary puzzles. Push blocks at a snails pace, climb vines at a snails pace and ofcourse Aerith needs her own playable part too which is even more boring than Cait Sith..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, den-69 said:

It's a good thing they make you play for 70+ hours to even get hard mode then.. Hard mode on Remake didn't make the game better either for what its worth. The combat still had the same flaws. It's long, repetitive and boring.

I mean, any game that you play for more than 70 hours has a repetitive combat, you've been almost three days pushing buttons...

7 hours ago, den-69 said:

I had an absolute blast playing Remake on hard. It was like playing a completely different game in the best way possible. 

• Like 2

I think this is a let down from the first game. If you are going for the Plat and you've been doing everything as you go, it really does feel like a grind. More time spent on all these region activities and mini games than I would have liked. Feels like the actual campaign is just a distraction to all the other stuff.

the Gongaga region was the last section that i did all the open world checklist stuff for. Cosmo Canyon was when I hit my own wall and only focused on main quests ,now I'm just trying to rush through the story and avoiding all other distractions and especially unnecessary fights. I think I like this game for the most part, but I'm also so done with it all. Chapter 13 just wouldn't end and was boring as hell until the last ~15 or so minutes. I'm still invested in the main story but I just got to the final chapter and have never wanted to finish a game up so fast before. I really liked Remake, but this entry? I don't know

• Like 1

I honestly don't have anything I dislike about the game but then I enjoy longer games 🤔 the mini games are not that difficult apart from sit ups and the piano sheets 4 and 5 and I suppose cactuar crash on hard mode. I love the environments and the exploration. I  prefer this over remake and because remake was just to linear and even the platinum was to easy but that's my opinion.  Overall I'm enjoying everything this game has to offer. 

• Like 4

I think the only open world region that burned me out was Corel. Grasslands and Junon were fun enough. So was the area around Costa, but the rest of Corel was so bland and boring. I was ready to be done with the open world stuff at that point.

Gongaga however just did a complete 180. It's so vibrant and atmospheric. The music is also fantastic. After that, I enjoyed the quirks of exploring Cosmo Canyon and especially Nibel. With all the open world stuff done, I think I'll do it again in Hard Mode. Although I will definitely struggle with Corel again.

As of now, I'd say this game is better than REMAKE, but I'll save making concrete judgement until I actually finish it. Afterall, the last 3 chapters is where REMAKE nosedived. The rest of that game is genuinely fantastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SethHulc said:

The other big drag is the amount of combat simulator challenges... Chadley is enough, but we have saucer... then beast battleground... then the worst of em all Hojo shinra stuff with same 3 enemies 8 times.

I finished Hojo, most of the Saucer, maybe a third of Chadley and haven't even started the beast battleground and it is just so damn boring.

This game requires a high amount of mental fortitude to push through. I can say that much. It's sad Enix never learned sometimes less is more. 

edit: And I just don't think they ever will.

Edited by Realtione
  • Confused 1

I think Chapter 9 is when the game starts to become a drag because of how quickly new regions are added. Over the first eight chapters you cover 2.5 regions at an even pace, with linear segments between them.

However, the following three Chapters (9-11) throw the remaining 3.5 regions at you with no breaks, and two of these regions are arguably the hardest to traverse.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BusyFace13 said:

However, the following three Chapters (9-11) throw the remaining 3.5 regions at you with no breaks, and two of these regions are arguably the hardest to traverse.

I absolutely hated traversing Gongaga which sucks because I thought it was the most interesting to look at. Cosmo Canyon is a bit better until you are trying to figure out those damn flight paths to get to certain things.

• Like 2

On middle of chapter 9, doing a blind playthrough and busy tinkering skills and exploration. 

I have 63 hours in-game time, and 86hrs based on PS Time Tracker.

Some might feeling the game is too long. For me, unless you have finished the OG game multiple times, and here I am, re-living the game through nostalgic experience. The immersion on this game is what I am imagine while playing the OG decades ago.

Active Battle Style, Tons of Minigames, Filler Arcs, and many many additional contents for FF7Rebirth! Man. what a time to be alive today. 

Edited by tipipeski
Grammar*
  • Like 3

Finished the story yesterday with 100+ hours clocked doing everything as I can, minigames are done and just have to do the saucer colosseum then the hard mode/Chadley VR challenges. So still a lot left lol.

I generally really enjoyed the game, like an 8-8.5 to me at it’s peak. The combat is the best thing in this game for me personally. The story is ??? Sometimes but that’s because it’s not finished yet and I also haven’t played the original, so this is all new to me. Overall I quite enjoyed the story for what it leads to and I like the characters a lot more than I did in Remake. I know everyone might not be a fan of them, but I enjoyed the minigames a lot, well most of them lol (Queen’s Blood is awesome). I think in a good way it breaks up the action allowing for some breathing room. And tbh it’s Square Enix and it’s FF so I was expecting minigames anyway lol. Most of the open world sections are gorgeous and the soundtrack is beautiful just like Remake was. Presentation overall was excellent, to me the world feels so alive this time around.  Figuring out strategies for bosses while setting up your materia allows for many fun various builds with each character, I love it. The exploration is fine nothing crazy to me, but it does reward you for completing the region as Chadley has unique materia and VR challenges. So tbh, there is good incentive for that. There’s a lot of things to appreciate here, which is what made this a great experience for me majority of the time.

I believe traversing the Gongaga is terrible and one of the low points, same goes to chapter 11, mostly the Cait Sith part (Figuring out how to play him better). The pacing can be bad sometimes especially when they add minigames as a part of the story. These were the times the game was annoying and I noticed the padding immediately in those kind of chapters. There’s also I think unnecessary shit in the game that coulda saved me many hours due to how insignificant it was. The saucer and Chadley combat simulations are enough lol. You lose focus on the main scenario and get sidetracked a lot, luckily I quite enjoyed most of it getting more powerful. For next game please they should add materia loadout sets or something! It’s annoying to setup your party manually sometimes, especially since they make you switch characters often. It takes up a lot of time for me since I like to plan ahead.

I don’t write essays like this, but this game was huge lol.

Edited by MoreFuego
  • Like 1