Trophy thoughts?

Not sure I want to tempt fate, but I've been able to download and start this game (PS4 version) despite only being on the basic PS+ tier. Anyone else have this, or ever had it with other older games they've re-released? I did buy the digital version of this for the PSP back when that was a thing, I wonder if that's what's causing this.

1 minute ago, stpatty said:

I did buy the digital version of this for the PSP back when that was a thing, I wonder if that's what's causing this.

That's exactly why. The games are cross-buy with the original versions released back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZodiacWolve said:

So there are trophies tied to specific levels, but right now they’re not locked for me and I can return back to those places even though I’ve read that doing the final mission is the ‘point of no return’. So, I’d guess technically yes even though I’m not at the end yet.

Yeah cool, someone def needs to do a trophy guide to help us avoid missing trophies, sounds good what you said about the game i loved jak 1 to 3 i had no idea there was a psp game too

• Like 1

Tried this for a bit and yikes...to say it's rough is an understatement 

The camera is awful, controls are wonky and platforming/gunplay not any better

Got to the section where Daxter gets transformed by Eco and it was just awful so that's where I tapped out

That's the issue with the classics, some hold up really well (Legend of Dragoon) while others age like milk (this and others like Twisted Metal)

Oh well, at least it was free

13 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

That's exactly why. The games are cross-buy with the original versions released back then.

Fantastic. Now if that extends to PS1 games on PS3 I'll be due a free Driver and Rayman 2 whenever they get around to those.

It's more than a little bittersweet knowing this is where the series ends, it really feels like ND and Sony lost interest in making this kind of game a long time ago (Insomniac and Astrobot notwithstanding).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

If you're not subscribed to Premium you're better off buying the versions off the PS3/Vita stores if you have one of those systems. They're usually a good 3 dollars cheaper, if not more although these releases do  go on sale sometimes. I'm also not sure if it's crossbuy in reverse.

https://www.neoseeker.com/jak-and-daxter-the-lost-frontier/faqs/1760804-jak-and-daxter-tlf-101.html

This 100% guide explains the point of no return for the game.

It isn't a trophy guide, but it explains everything needed to know.

Oh, yea. Finishing the game forces you to start new game+ / hero mode with no option for post game free roam. So technically a lot of trophies are missable if not done before the point of no return.

* I just finished the game without doing most of the trophies so can confirm.

Edited by Prometheous101
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

If you're not subscribed to Premium you're better off buying the versions off the PS3/Vita stores if you have one of those systems. They're usually a good 3 dollars cheaper, if not more although these releases do  go on sale sometimes. I'm also not sure if it's crossbuy in reverse.

That's exactly what I did with some of the games I hadn't already bought on the PS3/Vita. Cheaper to buy the older version, and you get the original too.

I don't think the cross-buy works in reverse though.

18 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

Edit:
Maybe I'm mistaken on what this was.

I mistakenly thought it was this...

Jak IV Collectible Mock Case Details – Limited Run Games

Jak 4 IV Mock Up Case Collectible PS4 New Sealed Limited Run Games LRG RARE | eBay

From when these were sold - forgive me, I got excited...

Jak and Daxter – Limited Run Games

Nope. Two completely different projects, though they do share the fact that Naughty Dog couldn't manage to produce either game 🙃. "Jak 4" is the one they worked on years later that ended up turning into TLOU but, unlike JaD:TLF, was not outsourced to be finished and instead was cancelled.

What you were referring to is a mock case of the cancelled game that was made by LRG out of commemoration for fans, attained from having purchased all 4 of their physical PS4 Jak and Daxter games. I actually have one myself.

On 3/19/2024 at 12:20 PM, alexandra-jane09 said:

I understand that this is totally the worst of the quintology [ I am including Jak X here which I actually enjoyed ], and not made by Naughty Dog or even remotely close to them like Ready at Dawn was with Daxter and Daxter fits within the Canon of the storyline [ being between 1 and 2 ] and given the ending of Jak 3 which tells Daxter as to why he looks the way he does, become a Dark form doesn't really fit with any of that, although it would be cute.  

At least one main contributing understated reason why Daxter (PSP) is great is because Naughty Dog were "very involved" (it wasn't all on Ready At Dawn), like the series's writer having wrote all the cutscenes' script, several members producing some cutscenes, etc. I'd argue it does fit if you remember the lore behind the Dark Markers and their true identity. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

So I can go on the Vita store now, buy the PSP version of this game for £1.50 less and get the PS4 and PS5 version? Any money saved is a bonus!

Although from what I've heard, it doesn't look like this game is worth any money.

Edited by Asher1985

13 hours ago, Prometheous101 said:

https://www.neoseeker.com/jak-and-daxter-the-lost-frontier/faqs/1760804-jak-and-daxter-tlf-101.html

This 100% guide explains the point of no return for the game.

It isn't a trophy guide, but it explains everything needed to know.

Oh, yea. Finishing the game forces you to start new game+ / hero mode with no option for post game free roam. So technically a lot of trophies are missable if not done before the point of no return.

* I just finished the game without doing most of the trophies so can confirm.

Yeah we need a trophy guide really for the missable trophies no good just reading an outdated guide that doesnt have the trophies in mind

• Like 3

@EcoShifter - Yeah, I did know that stuff already, a lot is explained on Wikipedia pages and the like - I just got excited at first because I actually thought it was a brand new title from a first glance I.E Jak 4, as to me, the Limited Run Mock Case seemed like foreshadowing, as I was really not expecting an older title to get a port after all this time; especially something from the PSP era; it was unexpected to me, at least more unexpected than a Jak sequel, just to me that is. 

The Limited Run Mock Case for Jak 4 to me seemed like something to come, like in the future possibly and I mistakenly thought it could be the long awaited sequel - and I also don't think the Mock Case was teased for zero reasons, I don't think it was just a fan-service only type of deal - I really think it could still be coming one day (Jak 4).  I just jumped the gun and got excited when I saw the artwork for "The Lost Frontier" overlaying the new Trophy Sets - I think the PS5 image is what caught me off guard and got me excited for a sequel it didn't turn out to be.  In my head there was a vague image of the Jak 4 Mock Case (as I hadn't seen it in a while), and when I saw the artwork for this game, I had a brain fart and really thought it was Jak 4... :facepalm:.

There has to be a purpose for that Mock Case existing is what I'm basically getting at though.

Do you think a sequel will come out one day? When I say "sequel" though, I mainly mean: the next title canonically, as it was planned to be a 'soft reboot'; though that could also change.

Source - for anyone wondering about the cancelled game:
Jak 4 | Cancelled Games Wiki | Fandom

Edit:
Also, cancelled doesn't always mean completely scrapped though - we don't know how far or how much work was actually done with regards to Jak 4, and what they had worked on could have secretly been resumed - who knows if they already had a skeleton of the game or not - only they do.

Also, the PS5 artwork for TLF looks really good, and visually an upgrade, enough so that I for a brief moment thought it was Jak 4, lol...  Not to mention its currently sitting at "Stage 4:" on the 'Series' page, until Daxter gets a port that is, and takes the spot from TLF which'll get bumped up to Stage 5 in that instance.

Edited by J-S_93

On 3/21/2024 at 8:05 PM, Asher1985 said:

So I can go on the Vita store now, buy the PSP version of this game for £1.50 less and get the PS4 and PS5 version?

Yep.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:25 PM, mike_87 said:

Yeah we need a trophy guide really for the missable trophies no good just reading an outdated guide that doesnt have the trophies in mind

There's three points of no return for the platinum trophy which that guide actually lays out quite well.

One is for the Jak Dangerous trophy (Get 10,000 on one of the Danger Course courses) which is missable after leaving Aeropa for the story not long after you do the course. You can replay the courses as often as you want until you leave, or just abuse the rewind function until you get the score. You can do everything on Aeropa until you get in the ship to leave.

The second one is for the Generosity of a Hero trophy (Donate scrap in Far Drop, only has to be done once) which is missable if you don't do it before Far Drop gets invaded later on in the story.

The third one for everything else is going through the warp gate on the second trip to the Aeropan Barracks. Once you trigger the Dark Daxter segment there every other non story trophy is missed (again, rewind). You'll still have access to the main ship hub and therefore the garage/shop and Keira to upgrade shit, and there's a few enemies in the final area you can farm for Dark Eco and a few ships to farm for scrap a bit after but you probably don't want it to have to come to that.

Edited by LunchCannon54
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Yep.

There's three points of no return for the platinum trophy which that guide actually lays out quite well.

One is for the Jak Dangerous trophy (Get 10,000 on one of the Danger Course courses) which is missable after leaving Aeropa for the story not long after you do the course. You can replay the courses as often as you want until you leave, or just abuse the rewind function until you get the score. I think the specific point of no return is the cutscene where Keira gets kidnapped by Phoenix. Once you've triggered that you've missed it (again, just rewind to before the cutscene thank god for that).

The second one is for the Generosity of a Hero trophy (Donate scrap in Far Drop, only has to be done once) which is missable if you don't do it before Far Drop gets invaded later on in the story.

The third one for everything else is going through the warp gate on the second trip to the Aeropan Barracks. Once you trigger the Dark Daxter segment there every other non story trophy is missed (again, rewind). You'll still have access to the main ship hub and therefore the garage/shop and Keira to upgrade shit, and there's a few enemies in the final area you can farm for Dark Eco and a few ships to farm for scrap a bit after but you probably don't want it to have to come to that.

So bearing in mind those three points of no return i shouldnt miss anythimg for the plat? Youve made it sound easier there at least, plus progressing on this game otherwise should be quite self explanatory if the other jak games are anything to go by

5 hours ago, mike_87 said:

So bearing in mind those three points of no return i shouldnt miss anythimg for the plat? Youve made it sound easier there at least, plus progressing on this game otherwise should be quite self explanatory if the other jak games are anything to go by

If only I could progress given the Far Drop crashes. Hopefully they patch that soon.

5 hours ago, mike_87 said:

There are still a few "semi missable" trophies. For one of them you need to buy all upgrades for Jak from one of the eco colors. If you use all your eco points on different colors you may end up on the final quests without enough eco points to do the trophy. So my advice is to just save enough points to buy all upgrades from the Red Eco, and after you get the trophy, just rewind it so you can have your points again so you can spend them as you like.

The second one is similar, asking you to buy 10 weapons for your ships. Again, judt save enough scratch, spend all of it for the trophy, and rewind so you can use them as you like.

15 minutes ago, CharlyXero said:

There are still a few "semi missable" trophies. For one of them you need to buy all upgrades for Jak from one of the eco colors. If you use all your eco points on different colors you may end up on the final quests without enough eco points to do the trophy. So my advice is to just save enough points to buy all upgrades from the Red Eco, and after you get the trophy, just rewind it so you can have your points again so you can spend them as you like.

The second one is similar, asking you to buy 10 weapons for your ships. Again, judt save enough scratch, spend all of it for the trophy, and rewind so you can use them as you like.

Thanks, as its a psp game anyway id imagine its not that long a game right? So if anything is missed it can soon be rectified id imagine

20 minutes ago, mike_87 said:

Thanks, as its a psp game anyway id imagine its not that long a game right? So if anything is missed it can soon be rectified id imagine

Yeah I got the platinum in 8h and doing almost all side quests (which are not necessary for the trophies). So if you want to do only the necessary stuff, in 6h I think you can get it.

Also, you have a lot of save slots, like 20 of them. So I was saving like very 30 minutes just in case.

On Monday I start my days off, so if by then there's no guide in here, I'm gonna play it again on the PS4 version while doing the guide for it just in case. I have done many guides on Spanish websites in the last, so let's see if I still have my abilities to do it loo

12 hours ago, CharlyXero said:

I wouldn't even call those semi-missable seeing as there's a few enemy farm points before your last possible upgrade/ship garage opportunity. In the room on the Aeropa return where you gt your guns back you can farm Dark Eco there and kill yourself until you get enough, then for Scrap when you're chasing the boss in the ship there's some enemy ships that tail him that give you a few thousand I think. Again, kill yourself if needed.

Also the guide doesn't say that it is but I think Rough'n Tough'n Jak (do 4 of the Barter Bar Missions in Far Drop) might  be missable in the same way Generosity of a Hero is but I'm not entirely sure.

Edited by LunchCannon54
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Also the guide doesn't say that it is but I think Rough'n Tough'n Jak (do 4 of the Barter Bar Missions in Far Drop) might  be missable in the same way Generosity of a Hero is but I'm not entirely sure.

I am still missing that and about to do the Far Drop attack stuff so will test that in a bit.

Edit: I finished the monsters attacking Far Drop and then did the Bar stuff. But I think this is not the moment when it becomes missable.

Will try and go to the bar after the actual attack.

Edited by Prometheous101

Can anyone explain the third point of no return trophy better to me? Something anout entering a warp gate? I managed to get the second missable yesterday (scrap donation) so im in the far drop area, been saving every half an hour too

The trophies are ok as far as I can tell.  I guess after having you collet all the orbs in the previous games, they decided to give us a little break.  One thing I have noticed though is that the orb trophies mean how many orbs you have on you, not the cumulative amount of orbs.  I had bough a secret and the trophy for 50 orbs didn't pop until it said I had 50 orbs on me, even though I had collected at least 60 orbs in total.

Would have further opinions on other trophies...if it didnt crash in far drop when you get three feet in the cave.

• Like 1