Trophy thoughts?

Overall not a bad list, in the general sense. That said, some few selective thoughts...

Platinum icon disappoints by just being a bland trophy image.

The list definitely does not remotely explore all the content of the game, like not requiring to obtain all the gun-staff upgrades or body armors as two examples, so the list does hold back in that sense. It also holds back in the difficulty sense; this could have been a harder platinum if it required tasks like gold on all types of challenges (like the other 3 games did) be it from race events, combat events, and so fourth.

The "Jak Dangerous" trophy is dumb for not accommodating or omitting the first of three courses, which means unlike the other two that are gold rank at 10,000 score, the first course is only a bronze at 10,000 score (13,000 score being gold for it and the other two courses following). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcaussiekids said:

Kinda really disappointed about how the trophy art, and game icon doesn't match the previous games at all. I understand it would have been a bit of a hassle to get Naughty Dog to provide new trophy images, especially since they had no involvement in this game anyway.

This game was actually their first attempt and failure at making a portable game. They developed it for a few months (2-3 iirc) before outsourcing it completely to developer High Impact Games because they couldn't sustain developing two games at the sametime, the other game at the time being Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which alone they were already having an extremely hard time with. Neil Druckmann is one of the writers of the game, and even recently reiterated his writing credit (something he loves doing across IPs) on it sometime around 2020. Despite this some changes, like the addition of a certain Tasmanian Devil-like creature lets call it (you'll get this reference after playing the game), were made without Naughty Dog's involvement which they went on record saying was not their idea.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Unlucky_Thir13en said:

I was a big fan of the Jak and Daxter games on PS2, but I somehow have never heard of this one...I guess Daxter is the only game in the franchise that still needs trophy support now. I'm here for it.

This was released on PS2 and PSP 3 years after PS3 was available. So most people had moved on at that point.

I played it back in the day. It was a decent game. Probably not as good as the OG Trilogy, but definitely worth playing for any Jak & Daxter fans.

I dont remember much since it was like 15 years ago, I know it had Dark Daxter and like airplane combat similar to Star Wars Squadrons. Interesting game ideas. 

And its more like a combination of Jak 1 and Jak 3. Slightly more leaning towards Jak 1.

Edited by Prometheous101
  • Like 1

Everyone be prepared for a monumental drop in quality, if you havent played this game. The story is terrible, the lore they introduce in this one is laughable.

It feels like it was made by someone who had no idea about Jak and Daxter, sat down and only watched some cutscenes of the trilogy, and then made his own sequel.

The tight (especially for the time) controls of Jak are gone, and you re left to play with a tank. 

The graphics are worse than Jak 1 that came out a decade before. 

Gone are the seamless, open world elements, all you re left with are linear, uninspired, forgettable levels. 

Overall it feels like a terrible Ratchet game with a Jak skin. Makes sense since it was made by former insomniac staff members, who previously made two mediocre Ratchet spinoffs for the psp. I still dont understand why they gave this game to them, and not to Ready at Dawn who had former naughty dog staff, made Daxter and seemed to understand the series much better than anyone else.

• Like 1

So happy to see this having trophy support. Now Daxter psp is missing and we have complete adventure. 

Also hoping for secret agent clank and Ratchet & clank size matters as both of these games were also developed by High Impact games.

Edited by Pupik-Kaci26
  • Like 2

Actually I think there's a few missable trophies. Aeropa and therefore the Danger Course becomes inaccessible as soon as you leave it for story reasons, basically right after the Dark Daxter segment after you go up to the next cutscene trigger. The donating scrap trophy eventually becomes missable as well in a later part of the game. A fair few Precursor Orbs are missable throughout the game in general, but you only need to get 100 for the trophy and there's like 281 of them. Apparently every non-story trophy is missable as there's no free roam after finishing the game.

Here's a good 101% guide that lists all of the time sensitive stuff: https://www.neoseeker.com/jak-and-daxter-the-lost-frontier/faqs/1760804-jak-and-daxter-tlf-101.html

Edited by LunchCannon54
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Onyx_Osprey said:

Maaaan, porting Lost Frontier before Daxter is a crime 😭

My theory is that they did this one first ti create hype for Daxter, since launching first Daxter wouldn't create any hype for TLR.

Of course it's just a theory, but who knows

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Takaros1393 said:

Everyone be prepared for a monumental drop in quality, if you havent played this game. The story is terrible, the lore they introduce in this one is laughable.

It feels like it was made by someone who had no idea about Jak and Daxter, sat down and only watched some cutscenes of the trilogy, and then made his own sequel.

The tight (especially for the time) controls of Jak are gone, and you re left to play with a tank. 

The graphics are worse than Jak 1 that came out a decade before. 

Gone are the seamless, open world elements, all you re left with are linear, uninspired, forgettable levels. 

Overall it feels like a terrible Ratchet game with a Jak skin. Makes sense since it was made by former insomniac staff members, who previously made two mediocre Ratchet spinoffs for the psp. I still dont understand why they gave this game to them, and not to Ready at Dawn who had former naughty dog staff, made Daxter and seemed to understand the series much better than anyone else.

What’s funny is Naughty Dog actually started developing it, the initial story premise was the biggest thing they came up with apparently. This game is infamous in the Jak and Daxter fandom for being bad, or at least not on par with the trilogy. 

• Like 1

Always knew of this game, but never actually got around to playing it. Kinda excited, actually. Still a shame that the first three Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank (trilogy) games are stuck on the PS3 (still...), but hey, the copium is strong. 

• Like 2

I understand that this is totally the worst of the quintology [ I am including Jak X here which I actually enjoyed ], and not made by Naughty Dog or even remotely close to them like Ready at Dawn was with Daxter and Daxter fits within the Canon of the storyline [ being between 1 and 2 ] and given the ending of Jak 3 which tells Daxter as to why he looks the way he does, become a Dark form doesn't really fit with any of that, although it would be cute.  

• Like 1

The game isn't great but it's still cool to be able to play it on modern consoles and to platinum it! Hopefully this bodes well for Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters coming along sooner or later too

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

I used to use debug cheats to get the platinum in Jak games, and I heard horror stories about this title, but I dunno. Everyone says that Lost Frontier should have died in a fire, but if the platinum is the easiest Jak game to platinum, I might look into it. Too bad it missed the mark for my alphabet challenge. 😜

I'd love to see the Ratchet and Clank PSP games come to the PS4, as I enjoyed Size Matters and, while I didn't like the mission based play of Secret Agent Clank, I liked how they used Clank's film persona for a full adventure. There's a dancing bit but I've dealt with dancing with Carmelita in Sly 2. :lol:

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProfSeajay7 said:

I used to use debug cheats to get the platinum in Jak games, and I heard horror stories about this title, but I dunno. Everyone says that Lost Frontier should have died in a fire, but if the platinum is the easiest Jak game to platinum, I might look into it. Too bad it missed the mark for my alphabet challenge. 😜

I'd love to see the Ratchet and Clank PSP games come to the PS4, as I enjoyed Size Matters and, while I didn't like the mission based play of Secret Agent Clank, I liked how they used Clank's film persona for a full adventure. There's a dancing bit but I've dealt with dancing with Carmelita in Sly 2. :lol:

Easiest jak game to plat yet someone earlier said theres missable trophies?

It was a pleasant surprise going on my console this morning and saw that this was available. Been longing to play another Jak and Daxter game and glad it has a platinum. Will definitely be adding both the PS4 and PS5 versions to my collection!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ZodiacWolve said:

I’m pretty far into the game, and despite it apparently being a bad game or so, I’ve actually been surprisingly enjoying it.

Is there missable trophies like one guy was saying though??

5 minutes ago, mike_87 said:

Is there missable trophies like one guy was saying though??

So there are trophies tied to specific levels, but right now they’re not locked for me and I can return back to those places even though I’ve read that doing the final mission is the ‘point of no return’. So, I’d guess technically yes even though I’m not at the end yet.

• Like 1