Final Fantasy needs to go away for a while...

Richancey

After playing FF13 extensively I am left with the feeling that Final Fantasy has lost its way. After a while I really came to enjoy FF13 and it is a good game but it's just not a Final Fantasy game. I have played Final Fantasy 1, 4, 5, 6, 8 and now 13 from beginning to end and 13 is my least favorite of those. As I said FF13 is good but it has some major flaws. The music is forgettable, the characters are wooden and one dimensional. The story is bad and the main villain is rather underwhelming. The leveling up is pretty but very straight forward. There are no proper towns and shops and the map system is terrible. The camera angles can be annoying and the upgrade system is lazy and seems to exist solely to eat time. The paradigm system did become very interesting but it also managed to be simplistic and confusing at the same time. It also suffers from unrealized potential. So many spells and commands were very cool looking but the developers decided to throw as many camera movements and colors at the screen at one time that everything tends to end up in a blur during battle. The weapon upgrade system could have been really fun if it were more like that in FF8 or even Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. Even the free roam aspect of the game for the 64 missions was mildly disappointing, go here, fight, go there, repeat. These are a lot of flaws and I don't mean to slam the game too much, but if a developer ever reads this know this, it takes more then flashy graphics and sparkly colors to make a great game. FF6 was limited by the software of its day and the game is a triumph. Why? substance and depth. Alright, I'm done. Probably gonna go pick up 13-2 now cause I'm a sucker.

• Like 3

I am pretty sure the chances of a developer reading this are slim to none...

You bring up some valid points.  The only thing I disagree with you is the music; I thought it was done well.  I would say 13-2 is a good game (worthy of picking up if you thought 13 was even an average game).

If we (other posters) are going to suggest FF games, I would say try playing FFIX and FFX (even get the HD-Remaster if you have the money).  

Edit:  Looking at the title of the thread again, I would say FF doesn't need to go away for awhile, especially if FFXV ends up being a really good game.

Edited by Starrk_01

i don't agree. FF does not need to go away. 

i played all the titles except theatrythm one.

most of the titles were amazing and some were a bit off but still unique in a way or another.

as for ff13 series. wasn't the best but not the worse.

let's just hope XV and the further titles be better.

• Like 1

A lot of people do say 7 and 9 are the best and one day I'll probably get around to it, especially if they remaster 7. But any Final Fantasy being better than 6 I find to be a bit of a stretch. I am biased though as I'm a big fan of the 16-bit era.

• Like 2

A lot of people do say 7 and 9 are the best and one day I'll probably get around to it, especially if they remaster 7. But any Final Fantasy being better than 6 I find to be a bit of a stretch. I am biased though as I'm a big fan of the 16-bit era.

tumblr_inline_msl1r4Kfkv1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 3

7 is over rated

9 was awesome

If you like the classics then stick with it. I didnt enjoy 13 and i didnt enjoy the fact that they made 2 sequels. However im hoping 15 will not disappoint me. Patt of the issue is people dont want that oldschool turn based system on their big consoles and want more action based

Square Enix just needs to remember how to make a good Final Fantasy again. You know something is wrong when 90% of your fanbase agrees that the last good Final Fantasy came out over a decade ago.

They focus way too much on stupid, over the top, convoluted stories now. Did anyone honestly understand what was going on in FF13? On top of that, they make some of the most boring characters in video games. Seriously, I'm supposed to care about Lightning, Hope, and Snow?

Sure Final Fantasy has had some bad characters and dumb stories before, but not like this. Even in those, you had fun gameplay to distract you. In FF13, the game can basically play itself, just mash one button until everything dies.

I have very little faith in FFXV, and if it turns out to be as bad as FF13, I'll give up on Final Fantasy.

• Like 1

American 3/Japanese 6 was by far my favorite. I can't even get thru FF13. It's just sooo boring to me. I feel like its just pressing X and letting the AI decide for you. The trophy grind is brutal too. Im hoping they go a different direction with the combat in the next one.

Square Enix just needs to remember how to make a good Final Fantasy again. You know something is wrong when 90% of your fanbase agrees that the last good Final Fantasy came out over a decade ago.

They focus way too much on stupid, over the top, convoluted stories now. Did anyone honestly understand what was going on in FF13? On top of that, they make some of the most boring characters in video games. Seriously, I'm supposed to care about Lightning, Hope, and Snow?

Sure Final Fantasy has had some bad characters and dumb stories before, but not like this. Even in those, you had fun gameplay to distract you. In FF13, the game can basically play itself, just mash one button until everything dies.

I have very little faith in FFXV, and if it turns out to be as bad as FF13, I'll give up on Final Fantasy.

They made Sazh  :pimp:  but I agree about the story. I mean the boss' motive in 13-2 was just stupid. "My girlfriend died so I am going to destroy time"...really dude? The sad thing was that was the same lame reason that the 10-2 boss gave. Maybe in sequels the bosses just become whiney little gits.

I would like Square to step away as well and actually make a new IP or if they have to retread some games how about another Chrono Trigger game...those were never popular :rolleyes: I mean I get it they like making FF games but I think if they came out with a new game in the Chrono series fans would be just as (if not more) excited. .

American 3/Japanese 6 was by far my favorite. I can't even get thru FF13. It's just sooo boring to me. I feel like its just pressing X and letting the AI decide for you. The trophy grind is brutal too. Im hoping they go a different direction with the combat in the next one.

Also 6 had multiplayer. Still the only Final Fantasy that did that :)

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

They made Sazh :) but I agree about the story. I mean the boss' motive in 13-2 was just stupid. "My girlfriend died so I am going to destroy time"...really dude? The sad thing was that was the same lame reason that the 10-2 boss gave. Maybe in sequels the bosses just become whiney little gits.

I would like Square to step away as well and actually make a new IP or if they have to retread some games how about another Chrono Trigger game...those were never popular :rolleyes: I mean I get it they like making FF games but I think if they came out with a new game in the Chrono series fans would be just as (if not more) excited. .

Also 6 had multiplayer :). Still the only Final Fantasy that did that :)

Sazh was really the only positive thing about FF13. They should've killed Lightning and given Sazh 2 sequels instead.

Actually, I don't think FF needs to go anywhere, I like it right where it stands lol I've enjoyed every FF in one way or another, I personally loved the XIII series and I know the quality has gone down, but comparing the XIII games to previous FF's makes people say they're bad games and they're NOT, they're just worse than previous FF's which were outstanding. 

The Playstation FF's along with FFX are the golden era for the franchise, my absolute favorite is and will always be FFIV, I love everything about it. FFVI is fantastic, VII is overrated but also top notch, VIII is good and IX is AMAZING. But FFX is my second favorite, and the proof that a strong plot and characters having CHARISMA can achieve big things.

The endless parade of spin-offs continues, but Crisis Core will always be the absolute best spin-off for me :D

• Like 4

Truth be told, the only FF game I've ever played was FF XIII. Never played any of the PS1 games because The Legend of Dragoon was my favorite RPG on Playstation. So, I can't say that FF needs to go away for a while; especially if people are still buying it.

Edited by kidson2004

I just can't get into VII, mainly because the whole fanbase pretty much ruined it for me. But I did enjoy playing the prequel as well as Dirge of Cerberus, they were really fun. Zack is more of a hero than Cloud ever be. 

Edited by DarkPirate2007

They made Sazh  :pimp:  but I agree about the story. I mean the boss' motive in 13-2 was just stupid. "My girlfriend died so I am going to destroy time"...really dude? The sad thing was that was the same lame reason that the 10-2 boss gave. Maybe in sequels the bosses just become whiney little gits.

Also 6 had multiplayer. Still the only Final Fantasy that did that :)

Oh man thank you for reminding me of that! So many fun memories  :D

As disappointing as the XIII saga may have been, still better than your average RPG game

Agreed. For example, I simply can't get into the Tales of games. The latest installments are very bland to me.

Honestly, the only JRPGs I can truly say that I've been fully enjoying these days are SMT and Persona. I can only hope they never lose their touch. 

I actually liked the music in FFXIII and think it's not forgettable :dunno:

is it the best of the series? Probably not but I did enjoy the main battle theme.

On topic: Not sure how XV's development is currently going but I think we probably won't see a new another Roman numeral entry for a while ( as long as they don't push out another entry from XIII)

FF13 wasn't my cup of tea either but the music is defenitely something else. Most of the tracks are really good like "Blinded by Light" or "Saber's Edge" although those are the only ones i can remember right now.

Many people say FF7 is the best FF Game but IMHO FF9 is the best one out of them all. I kind of liked FF8. The Draw Mechanic is ughhh...but if you get around it the game is awesome :D Maybe i should give FF7 another shot... :hmm:

Edited by King Zidane

I actually liked the music in FFXIII and think it's not forgettable :dunno:

is it the best of the series? Probably not but I did enjoy the main battle theme.

On topic: Not sure how XV's development is currently going but I think we probably won't see a new another Roman numeral entry for a while ( as long as they don't push out another entry from XIII)

:lol:

Actually 13 did have some great music, I really liked the main theme and hearing it again reminds me of how much I actually enjoyed 13 (my favourite FF since 9)

• Like 1

Actually 13 did have some great music, I really liked the main theme and hearing it again reminds me of how much I actually enjoyed 13 (my favourite FF since 9)

Indeed! There have been other FFs with greater soundtracks, but 13 is definitely up there. My personal favorite:

Actually, I don't think FF needs to go anywhere, I like it right where it stands lol I've enjoyed every FF in one way or another, I personally loved the XIII series and I know the quality has gone down, but comparing the XIII games to previous FF's makes people say they're bad games and they're NOT, they're just worse than previous FF's which were outstanding. 

The Playstation FF's along with FFX are the golden era for the franchise, my absolute favorite is and will always be FFIV, I love everything about it. FFVI is fantastic, VII is overrated but also top notch, VIII is good and IX is AMAZING. But FFX is my second favorite, and the proof that a strong plot and characters having CHARISMA can achieve big things.

The endless parade of spin-offs continues, but Crisis Core will always be the absolute best spin-off for me :D

Don't feed the trolls :)

I know what the intention of these people, but for now I'll ignore :)
A funny thing is that I played all FF and loved the rest is gibberish
Edited by Blood-Rose666