Would you delete your Steam account over username comments?

Cryogenicide_X

How? The ID you are using to log into Steam is NOT public and cannot be reverse-searched. The login ID cannot be used to add people to your friends list. No one needs to know the ID because it's useless unless they want to log into your account.

And why the hell would anyone from Steam contact you on PSN? 🤔

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HusKy said:

How? The ID you are using to log into Steam is NOT public and cannot be reverse-searched. The login ID cannot be used to add people to your friends list. No one needs to know the ID because it's useless unless they want to log into your account.

Yeah lol. This whole topic is just fishy.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HusKy said:

What are you talking about? I never said anything about that. And yes your account name on Steam is public, people can see my Steam name otherwise I wouldn't get comments on it. I also never said anything about people contacting me on Steam from PSN. I said that people from all these different places comment on my username.

Edited by Cryogenicide_X
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

And yes your account name on Steam is public, people can see my Steam name otherwise I wouldn't get comments on it.

The public name that others see can be changed to *anything*. How about you try that?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HusKy said:

The public name that others see can be changed to *anything*. How about you try that?

That makes no difference, even if you change that it still goes by your original account name which is the name I'm talking about.

No. I'm all for politeness, decency and respect but sometimes you just need to tell someone to piss off. Someone has to do it. If they freak out about it, it's probably because you're their first time.

6 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

That makes no difference, even if you change that it still goes by your original account name which is the name I'm talking about.

I'll take the bait. Which name are you talking about? Post a screenshot or something...

• Like 1

I'm surprised so many people are just saying don't change it. If my name was a reference to something I might explain what the reference was, if I just had 'genocide' or a word like it in my name for no reason than yes I'd change it if possible. But if I wanted to keep a name and the only option was to delete the account, lose everything, and start over then I probably wouldn't unless there was a chance the account would get flagged or deleted for it anyway.

But like others have said, people can't see your Steam ID and you're profile name can be changed so it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by InsomniWrench

1 minute ago, InsomniWrench said:

I'm surprised so many people are just saying don't change it. If my name was a reference to something I might explain what the reference was, if I just had 'genocide' in my name for no reason than yes I'd change it if possible. But if I wanted to keep a name and the only option was to delete the account, lose everything, and start over then I probably wouldn't unless there was a chance the account would get flagged or deleted for it anyway.

But like others have said, people can't see your Steam ID and you're profile name can be changed so it shouldn't be an issue.

His name doesn't have genocide in it though.

37 minutes ago, InsomniWrench said:

I'm surprised so many people are just saying don't change it. If my name was a reference to something I might explain what the reference was, if I just had 'genocide' or a word like it in my name for no reason than yes I'd change it if possible. But if I wanted to keep a name and the only option was to delete the account, lose everything, and start over then I probably wouldn't unless there was a chance the account would get flagged or deleted for it anyway.

If they know your original name, they can search for it using the friend search function. I use an alias, but you can still find my profile if you know the original name

edit: okay if you use an alias, and then go into your profile and clear your aliases, your original name will no longer show in the friend search results

Edited by SnowxSakura

1 hour ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

You are gonna have to show what you are talking about because what you are describing is not how it works.

The public facing profile name (and URL) can be changed to anything you want, and you can remove the mention of previously used profile names. The private account name can only be seen if you show it off yourself on stream or in a video.

• Like 3

Should the OP in particular delete their account? No. I guess I can see what would cause some to be uncomfortable, but without further context, it's no different than similar terms such as "Slayer", "Annihilator", "Killer" and etc., which I assume are popular in the gaming username realm and would hardly cause any misunderstanding.

Should a person who, say, has a slur on their name or something to that effect, delete their account in such a circumstance? Ideally, but a Steam account is not the overarching problem there.

Edited by Eagle

Your sign in name & your displayed name are 2 different things. People can't see nor search for you sign in name (which you cannot change, & would be stupid if they could for security reasons) but they can search & see your display name, which you can change (they can see your change history though, you have to manually delete those). I'm confused here as like others have said, what you're describing is not how Steam works, even just tested it myself by searching my alt Steam account by the sign in name & got no results.

Can you show us a screenshot of what you're talking about? Cause there are clearly some wires being crossed here

Edited by ObsiEez
  • Like 2

Okay so I've changed my profile name to SSJ3 for example right. 

spacer.png

It's made no difference though because look what I have to type in to be found by the public,

spacer.png

I still had to type in my account name, Cryogenicide_X to be found and not SSJ3. So Cryogenicide_X is still there anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

Okay so I've changed my profile name to SSJ3 for example right. 

spacer.png

It's made no difference though because look what I have to type in to be found by the public,

spacer.png

I still had to type in my account name, Cryogenicide_X to be found and not SSJ3. So Cryogenicide_X is still there anyway. 

Click the arrow next to your username on your profile and select the clear previous aliases option. Your old username will no longer show up when searching for you

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Click the arrow next to your username on your profile and select the clear previous aliases option. Your old username will no longer show up when searching for you

I have and you still have to use Cryogenicide_X to find me and not SSJ3. 

2 minutes ago, Cryogenicide_X said:

I have and you still have to use Cryogenicide_X to find me and not SSJ3. 

You have to refresh the friend search page, I just searched for your Cryogenicide username and it doesn't show up. I just checked your SSJ3 profile, and you have successfully removed your old alias. You're set now 👍

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You have to refresh the friend search page, I just searched for your Cryogenicide username and it doesn't show up. I just checked your SSJ3 profile, and you have successfully removed your old alias. You're set now 👍

Oh yeah you're right, thanks for all your help guys.