Should I buy a vita just for this game?

I'm looking to get a ps vita, but aside from this game, thre aren't really a lot of games that haven't gotten a ps4 port, (like persona 4 golden). But This game looks really fun, But enough to buy a console to play it?

• Like 2

I liked Uncharted: Golden Abyss a lot but I can't decide for you to buy this handheld console solely for this game. Both the console and game are pretty expensive, but I can't look into your wallet what kind of budget you have. 

There are a lot of great games which came out for this console only. They are only hard to come by (physically) and pretty expensive overall. 

The game itself is great. If you like the core Uncharted games this one is a good addition to the series. They implemented some VITA only controls which work really well albeit a bit strange sometimes. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Luigitoud said:

I'm looking to get a ps vita, but aside from this game, thre aren't really a lot of games that haven't gotten a ps4 port, (like persona 4 golden). But This game looks really fun, But enough to buy a console to play it?

Persona 4 Golden was released last year on PS4 (digital only), besides on other consoles.

You can find a vita pretty cheap these days, I basically bought one for this very game, then found myself playing playing a few extra vita only games so it’s worth getting one, if you loved the uncharted games like I did, you should definitely play golden abyss 

• Like 1

If you cna get it for good price im saying YES !!! + There are MANY more Vita games that arent on PS4/PS5 and are worth playing ! (Ratchet and Clank Collection, Sly Trilogy, Bentley's hackpack, Rayman origins, Michael Jackson experience, Asphalt Injection, Unit 13, LBP Vita, Freedom wars, Murasaki Baby, Monster Bag, Severed, Dokuro, Mutant Blob attacks, Frobisher Says, Jacob jones mystery Ep1, Stick it to the Man...)

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

That's how my Vita journey started! 

Initially I just bought it to play Golden Abyss and ended up completing more than 20 games.

However most of the time I played I was not at home so it was useful for that reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luigitoud said:

Make a list of games you want to play. No game is worth buying an entire console just for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Golden Abyss doesn't really add anything to the series narrative-wise. It's a good time and impressive for a handheld from 2012 but it's not an essential game. You're better off spending your money on games for your existing consoles and that will provide you much better value. 

If you want a portable gaming device and love trophy hunting then maybe you can find some value in a Vita but if you have no need for portability then you don't really need a Vita. Its library doesn't hold up to home consoles. 

24 minutes ago, Prometheous101 said:

Make a list of games you want to play. No game is worth buying an entire console just for it.

This. Also, it's not just the console/handheld. You also need a decent memory card (16GB or higher) which also comes at a cost unless you can find a bundle with 1 included within your area/country.

• Like 2

It is not worth it - buying a Vita for the sake of one game unless you plan on wanting to Platinum the Uncharted collection like I have done with many series of games.

I will however say this. I wanted to Platinum the whole Uncharted collection myself and already owned a Vita so I bought the game. I was 10 minutes into the game and thought NOPE! Only because the game is a nightmare to play on Vita especially with the rear touchpad or motion controls. You need an actual controller to enjoy the experience of the game which is where a PSTV would come in which I also own however, you would need a hacked PSTV to be able to access full compatibility of the game/system. 

So all in all, bearing that in mind, it is your choice but I wouldn’t recommend it if you really want to enjoy the game

• Like 1

Yes, if you clearly have the money to nonchalantly pick one up for one game, do it. Play around with it, see if you have some existing games you can play with it. Experiment with Remote Play with it. 

You can easily and quickly sell it for whatever you pay for it these days so you’re not going to be out anything. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not a bad game and I was actually positively surprised by Golden Abyss. Mostly how well it was in terms of what developers were able to put into the game. It felt like an Uncharted game hands down. Storytelling was kind of meh but in general I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Despite being my very first physical game for the platform I wouldn't describe it as the one I bought myself a Vita for (late in 2015 - quite late at its life cycle and I was a fan of the Uncharted series already at that point). To be honest my priority were smaller scale 2D and indie projects not to mention somewhat unique games like Escape Plan, Gravity Rush or Murasaki Baby. And I wasn't disappointed! Just wished it had longer legs for sure.

I'd say go for it. Might just find yourself a few more games worth trying on the way.

Edited by VegaMan-X4

2 hours ago, Prometheous101 said:

That's funny. I initially bought some of my consoles just for one game (even if it wasn't the very first game I bought it with). PS2 (MGS3), GameCube (RE remake), PSP (MegaMan Powered Up), PS3 (SF4), PS5 (FFVII Rebirth) - just from the top of my head.

Posted (edited)

Recently (one month ago) i had exact same problem as u do right know. Wanted to buy Vita only for a few games which is definetly not good bussiness. But you know what? I've made some research and found that there are multiple cool games with easy platinums e.g. Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Sly Trilogy or Resistance Burning Skies. There are also a lot of jRPG and visual novels. If u are fan of that type of gaming, you should consider buying Vita especially for those games ;)

Edited by Crusad3rp

3 hours ago, Gloom12356776543 said:

If you cna get it for good price im saying YES !!! + There are MANY more Vita games that arent on PS4/PS5 and are worth playing ! (Ratchet and Clank Collection, Sly Trilogy, Bentley's hackpack, Rayman origins, Michael Jackson experience, Asphalt Injection, Unit 13, LBP Vita, Freedom wars, Murasaki Baby, Monster Bag, Severed, Dokuro, Mutant Blob attacks, Frobisher Says, Jacob jones mystery Ep1, Stick it to the Man...)

But what do you consider a "good price"? Is 130 $ a good price?

31 minutes ago, Crusad3rp said:

Recently (one month ago) i had exact same problem as u do right know. Wanted to buy Vita only for a few games which is definetly not good bussiness. But you know what? I've made some research and found that there are multiple cool games with easy platinums e.g. Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Sly Trilogy or Resistance Burning Skies. There are also a lot of jRPG and visual novels. If u are fan of that type of gaming, you should consider buying Vita especially for those games ;)

Yeah I really like JRPGs and some visual novels every once in a while, but I already have a switch for that. I'm considering getting one for the exclusives, and to have a handheld console that I can trophy hunt for. Also, is tearaway an easy platinum?? Becuase the psnprofiles rarity doesn't make it look like it. Well, i can't say myself.

Posted (edited)

Nope.

You’ll be wasting a ton of money and a lot of Vita physical copies are not worth the collector’s price of $100+ bucks. Not to mention buying the memory cards and other stuff.

I got one when it came out, and besides of a few good games, it will just collect dust. Tho if you are into remote play for Ps4, it works really good too.

The only reason Vita is relevant and expensive these days is because of the modding and hardware hacking. It’s a dead console only supported by communities.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

Posted (edited)

i can only speak on behalf of vanilla users

i dont mod or jailbreak or hack it
So with that being said, the handheld itself now has software limitations, some of the key features it came with have been shutdown and deactivated

for example the Near feature

where in some games like Unit 13 utilized it, Smart As… (a fun puzzle brain game) utilized it making those platinums unobtainable now with im sure several others i just cant think of

so theres that little middle finger to the players you might not be currently aware of

When going to the ps store, the ps store asks you to use a different device as they shut down the store for it haha

There was an Email app

A facebook app

Pretty sure there was a Netflix app aswell

depending on your model and your personal cellphone carrier, it could connect to AT&T and be a phone aswell? 

mine has a sim card slot, the OG OLED model

thats been unsupported now too

Is it worth paying for a system with features you cant use anymore and with some great platinums that are now locked

you might not care about these removed or deactivated features but they were still designed as selling points for the system at the time, heres our console that does this this and this…oh, well now it doesnt do that that or that

Is it worth it? depends on the price i guess

Edited by Property_Damage

I bought a Vita just for Golden Abyss, never regretted that purchase in the last 11 years. Vitas shouldn’t be that expensive nowadays so go for it.

The villain in golden abyss is totally a Saturday morning cartoon villain lmao, the touch controls are a bit wonky though. Worth getting a vita for? Probably not but it's a decent game.