PS Vita No Longer Available at Major Retailers

Lady Lilith

Dont worry guys try look at it positively.

They probably ran out of stock because of all the people buying a vita to go with their ps4.

The main reason i love my vita is not needing a giant tv so vita tv is useless to me..

if i want to play on my tv theres ps3/4 for that.

They're not dropping first-party support for the Vita guys. 

The question I was asked was, ‘going forward, [will] the number of first party will be smaller?’, and I said ‘yes, number of projects will be smaller.’ I never said ‘we won’t make any games on PS Vita’.

We’re continuing to make games on PS Vita… we just launched a game called Freedom Wars in Japan, it’s a big title dedicated to PS Vita, and it’s received very well in Japan – we’ll bring that to Europe and US as well. And we’re making that JRPG, a very, very beautiful JRPG called Oreshika as well. And games made in Europe – Murasaki Baby is a dedicated PS Vita title that got many awards at E3.

And we’re continuing to make cross-platform games like Helldivers or CounterSpy. Many, many games we have in development for PS Vita from first-party as well.”

• Like 1

No one should be jumping to any conclusions, we don't really know what's going on. The article may just be a fabrication for click-bait. It even says in the article that GameStop is scheduled to get Borderlands Bundles in August. Which means that they're still making them. Meaning that at the very least, it's not discontinued or anything horrific like that.

No one should be jumping to any conclusions, we don't really know what's going on. The article may just be a fabrication for click-bait. It even says in the article that GameStop is scheduled to get Borderlands Bundles in August. Which means that they're still making them. Meaning that at the very least, it's not discontinued or anything horrific like that.

That is true, If they were canceling the Vita then the games should have automatically started to slow down a bit but in fact there has been a bigger surge in third-party games coming to the vita from japan.

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit there.  You don't stop supporting your handheld with first party games and then just have it take off.  It doesn't make sense.

Actually, it makes loads of sense.

The vita is now a much more interesting prospect than it ever was, as it tethers to the PS4 - reflected in the fact that there is a skew of the PS4 coming out soon that bundles the vita in with it (which im sure acxounts for some of the lack of availability at the moment)

Also - sony is not deducing its output on Vita because they think the Vita is dying, there doing it because all the most successful vita games are small indie titles now - ita become the premier console for indie games in the past year.

Yeah they aren't disappearing per say it's just people are going out to purchase them and running out of stock. There are a lot of games coming out within the next several months and I'm sticking with my Vita, that's for sure. :-) Nothing to jump to conclusions about.

im not too fussed... i've got one and i really like it, i play it most days and its a really nice break away from sittin infront of the tele for hours to play games... also i've managed to play some brilliant games for it so far and most of them are digital so if digital releases carry on that'll be great too... imo ppl who havnt bought into the handheld have really missed out

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

Posting on my brand new shiny Vita. All seems as is has been here in UK. A new action pack bundle just came out and like people say the PS4 Vita bundle is out soon. I got mine due to a massive price drop though. Not sure if that may indicate any decline. 

I have to say it's a fantastic piece of kit! Just draw droppingly brilliant the way it connects to the PS4. 

My only annoyance- the last tile trophy from the welcome park is annoyingly tricky. I don't do timed puzzles!

• Like 1

Also if this is true STOP PUTTING ADHOC TROPHIES IN GAMES!

oh i so agree with this :shakefist:

i never been much into handhelds but i truly love the vita. Havent played that many games on it yet but thats mainly because my backlog is way to big and i dont know where to start :facepalm:

I've really enjoyed my Vita ever since i purchased it during May, it is one of my best things i've bought and people who don't have a Vita are missing out! 

I'm hoping I am just thinking too much into the article. We'll see what is truly occurring in the coming months.

Well, another site ran that supply shortage story, so either Vita doom rumors are spreading like wildfire and Sony is denying it and stating the opposite, or the Vita really is doing well, and Sony is just guilty of having kept a very low supply, going by how severe this shortage apparently is.  It should be noted that Sony still has yet to release any actual sales numbers, which is highly suspicious.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/06/26/microsoft-family-sharing-on-xbox-one-is-on-the-roadmap/

Earlier this week, the Playstation Vita mysteriously dissapeared. Neither Amazon, nor Walmart, nor Gamestop were selling new consoles directly, and it some to ask the basic question: what’s going on? Barring true insanity on the part of Sony, it appeared to be good news for the perpetually troubled handheld. After the launch of both the Vita slim and the Borderlands 2 bundle, demand has begun to outstrip supply.

“We’re seeing healthy consumer demand for PS Vita globally, particularly in markets like Japan,” a representative told Polygon. “The U.S. launch of the slimmer and lighter PS Vita has generated strong interest among gamers, and we’re working to replenish supply here to ensure continued momentum leading into the holidays.”

6695130949_0ee9f19f18_b.jpg

PS Vita (Photo credit: Sergey Galyonkin)

It should be noted, of course, that without sales figures, it remains very difficult to tell if the Vita is succeeding in any significant way. Sony is selling more of them than they are making, sure, but I would bet that the company has dramatically constrained production as a result of the handheld device’s long struggle with sales. So Sony is selling more than they are making, but they’re likely not making very many.

And yet! The fact that the company is selling enough, at the very least, more Vitas than it used to, is a positive sign. The Vita may not really have had a niche in the PS3 era, but it has a role to play in the PS4 ecosystem, both for its remote play capabilities and the looming notion of Playstation Now. I wouldn’t be surprised if sales continued to accelerate as more people buy PS4s, and those that already have them start to feel the itch to spend some more money on their videogaming experience.

There’s an identity crisis at the heart of the Vita’s struggles. It was initially pitched as a machine that plays AAA titles on the go, but it never quite resonated with the market for that purpose — most people had no problem just playing them at home. Indie games, however, have found an excellent home on the little handheld — by and large, they’re more suited for portable play, and the more expensive model’s OLED screen really shines when used with the sort of simple graphics that small developers favor. Going forward, Sony is pitching the Vita as a part of a broader Playstation ecosystem as much as it’s own console, and we’ll see how that develops as the PS4 matures.

Sony’s facing uptown problems as it struggled to keep up with demand for both the Vita and the PS4, but it also needs to get some of these production questions in order. Overall, it’s good news for Playstation gamers.

• Like 1

I get the feeling that a lot of stores reduced the price of the 1000 model to make room for the new 2000 model and ended up selling a lot of them as some people would have been waiting for a price drop to pick one up and therefore emptied their shelves, and maybe Sony hasn't make enough of the 2000 model to match the demand from the stores wanting to restock.

Without actual sales figures though this is just me speculating.

Edited by Stevieboy

It doesn't make sense for them to just drop the Vita entirely unless they are already selling it at such a marginalized profit they cannot afford to sell it any lower.  The sensible business decision would be to continue to produce units and discount the console to almost its total cost.  I imagine they tied a lot of R&D into the Vita and to just throw that away doesn't make sense.  As a console maker the business decisions to generate a consumer base and profits if beyond just turning a profit on every product you sell.  At least if they can sell more units they will benefit from increased game games on the Vita. 

I believe Nintendo sold every console except the Wii at a discount to production cost (until production materials/manufacturing costs were lowered) and it reaped back profits from game sales.

Edited by QuantumMercury
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...