Do you fast travel often in open world games or...

BigCharade

...do you prefer to travel on foot/mount; exploring everything in the massive world you're thrown into without ever touching the fast travel option?

I tried searching for something similar in case this had already been asked but couldn't find anything myself, sorry if it has.

Anyway, I try to avoid using fast travel as often as possible so I can see everything the game has to offer whether it's random encounters, acquiring loot I would've otherwise missed or perhaps finding an uncharted cave to delve into, etc. It's things like epic dragon fights en route to a quest in Skyrim, or running into pirates and dangerous wildlife wandering the island in Far Cry 3 that I think makes for a better, more immersive experience as opposed to being teleported to an area within 5 seconds and missing all of that but maybe that's just me, idk.

When I played Skyrim I walked everywhere. I wanted every possible location discovered on my map haha

I also enjoyed the random quests I ran into while traveling, and of course the dragon encounters! 

Edited by modiese

It depends on the game, my current objective, and how long it will take. In Skyrim / Fallout / other Bethesda games I fast travelled a lot because I simply didn't feel like spending 20/30 minutes running across the countryside. I've seen the area before, I've enjoyed it, now it's time to get on with the game. There are times when I'd do it on foot if the area wasn't too far away, but if I had to go from Winterhold to Whiterun, or Whiterun to Riften then I'd definitely fast travel.

I always use fast travel if the quest is very far off. I remember not knowing about fast travel in Elder Scrolls IV and wound up walking back and forth all across the map. The scenery is fun to explore for a while, but I don't want to get sick of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally feel like travelling and experiencing the world ahead of you is the only way to play it. Whenever I pick up Skyrim, I like to just go from one end to the other, beating up everything in my path, be it bandit or dragon! Open-World games is to be explored. It's a shame not to spend as much time possible in it.

For me it all depends on how I feel about the game and whether there really is anything to see or not; mostly the former, however. I, to this day, still love Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but the world is so boring and plain that you have to fast travel to avoid sheer boredom. However, for my first trip to each of the cities (Skingrad, Bravil, Anvil, et cetera) I never used it and was trying to give it a chance. Alternately, with Fallout 3, the world was so expressive and I never felt like I was seeing the same thing over and over again so I only fast travelled to return to places I had already been.

That being said, if I do not like the game - or even just the world setting - I will fast travel as much as possible. For example, I absolutely hated playing both Fallout: New Vegas or Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for various reasons so I fast travelled all the time just to get to the parts I did enjoy.

With not being an experienced gamer I go walking to explore,thinking that I might miss something important and/or screw up the progess.Haven't played that many open world games but currently into Dragons Dogma the Arisen.The early stages in this game there is no fast travel & with all the main quests/side quests/billboards quests travel to many of the same areas gets pretty boring after a while fighting same enemies picking up same items but they help in ranking up.Later on in game a bit of fast travel is available through portcrystals/ferrystones and yes I am using fast travel as much as possible to get over the boredom of the same stuff.

Two playthroughs needed for plat so fast travel is being used to shorten things a bit.

I try not to on my first playthrough but if I am short on time I will. I know a lot of people found it incredibly boring to travel via horse in Red Dead Redemption but I loved it, I rarely ever fast traveled in that game. 

Parker