Essential Smartphone Apps/Games?

Parker

As some of you may know I finally upgraded from my flip phone and bought a Samsung Galaxy S4. I've never had a smartphone before so I'm very out of touch on what the "essential" apps and games are for Android. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. 

Here are the apps and games I have so far.

Firefox and Chrome

Classic Game Room

PlayStation 

Real Racing 3

Metal Gear Alarm Clock

Led Zeppelin Lyrics

Amazon

I'd prefer not to spend money on anything if at all possible. 

Thanks in advance everyone,

Parker

Dodol Launcher is good, allows you to customize your phone however you like it and does other things too like deleting memory you don't need and has the option to stop all running apps in the background.

Youtube, definitely need that.

Instagram, good for those quick pictures you want to take and is pretty good at giving you customization of your photos.

• Like 1

Thank you. Instagram is what people use to take pictures of their food, right? I won't be doing that, but I plan on taking some pictures with my phone so I'll give it a download. 

Also, I ran across some emulators on the Google Play Store. How do I get the roms on my phone? 

Thanks again,

Parker

• Like 2

Thank you. Instagram is what people use to take pictures of their food, right? I won't be doing that, but I plan on taking some pictures with my phone so I'll give it a download. 

Also, I ran across some emulators on the Google Play Store. How do I get the roms on my phone? 

Thanks again,

Parker

i have a GBA and NES emulator on my phone. i really recommend you if you want a GBA emulator to get the ''MyBoy'' GBA emulator. I have it and it's amazing. You have to pay for the full version, but it's worth it in my opinion. you can download roms on coolrom.com directly from your phone browser. It's not hard to set up things. If you decide to buy the emulator, you can contact me so I can thoroughly explain to you how to get it working, or you can just find a video on Youtube :P 

Thanks again,

Parker

lol yes, some people use it for that.  I use it for my dog and the odd random thing that pops up: http://instagram.com/takahashidemon, if you happen to use any camera as well, you can use Drop Box (this should have come with your phone with at least 1-2 year's 50GB usage), put your pictures in that and you can upload and customize those on instagram if you ever wanted to.

And can't exactly help with the ROMs thing.  I don't really use those, only game I have on my phone is Rhythm of Fighters, but this isn't free.

i have a GBA and NES emulator on my phone. i really recommend you if you want a GBA emulator to get the ''MyBoy'' GBA emulator. I have it and it's amazing. You have to pay for the full version, but it's worth it in my opinion. you can download roms on coolrom.com directly from your phone browser. It's not hard to set up things. If you decide to buy the emulator, you can contact me so I can thoroughly explain to you how to get it working, or you can just find a video on Youtube :P

MyBoy is a good emulator. Perhaps the only GBA emulator I like on my phone. 

I don't use a lot of apps but I mostly use the apps that came with my Galaxy S3. YouTube app might be a good idea though. I have Skype on my phone but I only use it sometimes. 

Not necessarily essential as you may not have the games but theres a few "companion" apps that release every now and than.
I think theres a Dust 514 one on the way and some developers worth mentioning. Than theres such things as Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Youtube, Netflix, Music Unlimited, Play Memories, Video Unlimited, WWE, Twitch, eBay, Amazon, PayPal etc. All depends on the things you use, search it and theres likely to be an app for it.

Official PlayStation App

AC4: Black Flag Companion App

BEYOND Touch

Battelog

Call Of Duty

Destiny

Watch Dogs Companion App

iFruit (GTAV)

GTAV Manual (official game guide)

Knacks Quest

Puppy Parlor (Vita Pets)

Titanfall Companion App

THIEF Companion App

Uplay

Steam

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide: Here

Rockstar Games Inc: Here

EA Mobile: Here

Ubisoft Entertainment: Here

Activision Publishing: Here

Square Enix Ltd: Here

Theres probably ones Ive forgotten or missed. Theres even an Official F1 App  :awesome:

Edited by allsop1986
  • Like 1

Besides gaming-related apps, you could possibly find use in Drive, Google's cloud, Evernote, online notes, an app of your bank, to make banking easier, and WhatsApp, one of the more popular mobile chatting platforms. (Not sure about WhatApp's popularity outside of my country, there are many alternatives.)

If you're feeling brave and technical, take a look into rooting your phone and installing a custom ROM on it. Samsung forces a lot of bloatware upon you, which by default you have no means of deleting. Custom ROMs remove this bloatware and (normally) provide better stability. Rooting your phone provides access to the underlying mechanics and system of your phone, and many 3rd party developers properly utilize this access in attempts to make phones faster, more responsive and less battery consuming. Just take a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/.

Edit:

About the game ROMs; they're files, you get 'm on your phone just like any other file. Use the provided USB-cable to transfer them from your computer.

Edited by MassZERO

If you like running, there is an amazing app, possibly my favourite app ever. It's on sale right now too! It's called Zombies, Run!

Basically feel like you are being chased by zombies, and you get missions to "collect" and scavenge for extra items, get to build your base, have a full story. It's pretty incredible!

Also Shazam, if you are out and about and hear a song and want to know what it is, then you open the app and it listens to it and tells you what it is. Pretty handy sometimes!

WhatsApp - Instant messaging service. Easy to share photos and videos

Viber - Free phone calls to other Viber users

Wordfeud - Scrabble if you're bored

Colornote - Calendar+notebook

Clean Master - Boosts your phone memory and speed

Mymail - Link your different email accounts into one app

Filemanager - Locate files on your phone

• Like 1

-> Bike Race (Cool game, surprised me)

-> Forza (If you are a fan of soccer, it shows every game on the day, week or month.)

-> Reddit Sync (A good way to access Reddit, better than the browser version.)

-> Echofon (Good app if you use twitter)

-> Podcast Addict (It tracks your podcasts)

-> TV Show Favs (Perfect app to organize what you are watching, or intend to.)

-> Runstatic (If you like to do exercises, it has everything, but to get some extra functions you have to pay it.)