The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

The title of the thread is "The most overrated game/series?" and the OP's post ends with "What games or series do you think are overrated and why?", which means it isn't just about a series as a whole, but can also be about particular games. :P

I obviously misread then. I tend to miss any / ...

• 2 months later...

Zelda Series

Final Fantasy Series

I agree with this, I'm a huge fan of the 2D Zelda games and Oracle of Ages/Seasons and A Link's Awakening are underrated if you ask me. But the 3D Zelda games get way too much praise, they're fun games obviously and OoT did some revolutionary new things for video games, but apart from that I feel like the new Zelda games solely rely on nostalgia and aren't that great anymore if you look at it from a objective perspective.

Final Fantasy is another of those franchise that rides on it's past popularity and is liked because you're expected to like it. I never really understood the praise about VII and after playing through it I really wouldn't recommend it. the PS2/PS3 Final Fantasy games are all pretty meh too in my opinion. 

I also think Pokemon is overrated nowadays, especially considering the fact how many adults still buy the games. I played a hell of a lot Pokemon as a kid but I would never buy or play a Pokemon game now.

Just finished The Last of Us (again), and just wanted to gently suggest that anyone saying it in this thread find a good cliff and hurl yourselves off.  The game deserves every accolade it gets, and then some.

Having a hard time coming up with a overrated game/series myself... there are a ton of games out there I've never tried/gave a fair shake, and the ones that are popular are usually popular for good reason.  The Batman Arkham series never really did it for me, great combat system and some interesting mechanics... but the story was never really strong enough to keep me into it and it gets repetitive/predictable as hell after the first few hours of the first game.  Then again, the superhero comic thing was never really my bag.

Maybe Call of Duty too... but if there's one thing I'll admittedly never understand, its why people like competitive multiplayer shooters.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just finished The Last of Us (again), and just wanted to gently suggest that anyone saying it in this thread find a good cliff and hurl yourselves off.  The game deserves every accolade it gets, and then some.

Having a hard time coming up with a overrated game/series myself... there are a ton of games out there I've never tried/gave a fair shake, and the ones that are popular are usually popular for good reason.  The Batman Arkham series never really did it for me, great combat system and some interesting mechanics... but the story was never really strong enough to keep me into it and it gets repetitive/predictable as hell after the first few hours of the first game.  Then again, the superhero comic thing was never really my bag.

Maybe Call of Duty too... but if there's one thing I'll admittedly never understand, its why people like competitive multiplayer shooters.

Last of us is good but has that Destiny problem.

For me it has to be the GTA series, I know there's a lot you can do in those games but what you can do is not appealing to me and kinda boring to be honest but I've gotta admit that the last one that came out (GTA5) is interesting in terms of the interaction between characters and the missions look cool but in terms of gameplay, even though there  is a lot more to do in this entry of the series, considering some alterations, the gameplay narrows down to kill these guys and then cutscene.

The most overrated game series is probably Call of Duty. But for most overrated games it would have to be Destiny, Last of Us, and GTA 4. Gta 5 is much better than 4, and the story to four kind of dragged on even though it was a good story. Destiny is generic fps mmo that just has  a lot of money to develop it. Last of Us is great for it's story, but i would rather play a game like Uncharted 2 when it comes to gameplay. And for everyone saying that the Mario Franchise is all the same game, it's somewhat true but you can't really say that Super Mario World is just like Super Mario 64, or that Super Mario Galaxy is just like Super Mario Bros 3.

For people who say that "The Last of Us" is overrated, I just feel pity for you... Games were made to make people have an interactive experience, not to make people feel and that's why "The Last of Us" it's different from every other game: it makes you feel, it makes you become the main character and feel what he is feeling. That's why "The Last of Us" is a landmark in gaming: from now on every game aspiring to be great has to consider the emotional connection between player and character. If by the end of the game, when Joel and Ellie finally reach the hospital and Marlene is explaining to Joel what is about to happen to Ellie, you weren't just madly and desperatly thinking "Oh no, no, no, no, this can't happen, the story can't end this way!!!", then something is wrong with you or with the way you experienced the game... And yeah, I definitely feel sorry for you if this is the case... For me, this game is perfectly crafted in every way, I beat it 7 times and I feel that I could just keep playing it for the rest of my life. There's no other game I could call "a masterpiece".

Anyway, in my opinion, the most overrated game is "Destiny": I played it for maybe two hours and I was just becoming so incredibly bored and so tired, that I just quit and didn't touch it anymore. The graphics aren't bad, but the gameplay is extremely basic and repetitive. They just ask you to do the same thing over and over again, without not even having a decent story to follow (at least, that I noticed).

• Like 2

Last of us is good but has that Destiny problem.

The fact that a single player monster of an emotional rollercoaster has "the problem" of a massive multiplayer online shooter at the very least makes me question your judgement.  I realize how pompous it is to say this, since no game is perfect... but if you seriously had a problem with any aspect of The Last Of Us's campaign, I'm afraid you most likely fall into that hipster clique that finds it necessary to downplay it's accomplishments for no other reason then to "even the scales".

GTA V is the most overrated game ever in the history of all video games. That's why I hate it as much as any other game I've ever played. Only the rotten apples dick around so much with this game that it's getting way out of hand and that's what makes Saints Row the best open-world game there ever is because it's simply much more underrated than that thuggish trash everyone plays. Inb4, butthurt comments coming in to play.

• Like 1

GTA V is the most overrated game ever in the history of all video games. That's why I hate it as much as any other game I've ever played. Only the rotten apples dick around so much with this game that it's getting way out of hand and that's what makes Saints Row the best open-world game there ever is because it's simply much more underrated than that thuggish trash everyone plays. Inb4, butthurt comments coming in to play.

Fluffy_haired_overreaction.gif

Well, that certainly explains your ignorant views in your other thread. 

Parker

• Like 3

I like to defend The last of us. The story and voice acting was excellent, characters well developed, gameplay was difficult. I think people don t like grounded mode not the game.

Fifa is overated same every year. The only reason i buy it because theres only 2 football/soccer games to buy and fifa is better in my opinion than pes.

Minor improvements to career mode, improved graphics and gameplay.

-They get enough from sales and ultimate team so why not give us a fifa we deserve

1-Managers on touchlines

add real managers to touchlines I'd love to see mourinho or other managers react to their team winning/losing

also add the ability to create a manager and customise his hair/face/attire.

2-Pre match hand shake between managers.

3-Tunnel pre match

4-Pitch invasions when you win the league, stop a team from being relegated or promote a team. Not in cups because its doesn't happen

5-More match commertary teams even if voice clip taken from games its a start

6-better commetary same boring and generic (add commentary like man city goal last day of the season aguero's goal against qpr

Here's your reply.

• 9 months later...

In my opinion, The Last Of Us is the most overrated game. The story for me was not so "outstanding" or "original." The game just felt like another "zombie" post apocalypse where you are trying to survive and to make it "different" Naughty Dog decided to add the little girl that you are going to be the "father" figure to. I guess after i played The Walking Dead, I was surprised and amazing by the great story and that fantastic and moving ending of season 1 that The Last Of Us failed to make me feel anything. The game play was annoying and sometimes unforgiving. I just did not like the pace of the game. I played for at least half the game and I had to stop playing because I was not having fun. And i rarely quit games.....

I do understand why so many people and critics see TLOU as the best game of last gen, but I just did not have a great time with that game....I think is gorgeous and the story is good, but I do not believe that is the best game of last gen. I think Mass Effect trilogy, GTA 5, Mario Galaxy 2....are better contenders...but thats my opinion and I know i am in the minority when it comes to this game.... oh and btw I did watch all the cut scenes of the game...so i do know what happens at the end.   B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B) 

mannysevenDX.png

Edited by mannysevenDX