Rise of The Tomb Raider Exclusive To Xbox One

Goro

Don't worry, people, this will only be a timed exclusive.

Crystal Dynamics probably don't want to go head to head with Uncharted, so they are going to release on XBO first, cash in a big check from MS for timed exclusivity, and bring it to PS4 6-9 months later. It will happen.

First Bayonetta 2 and now this! :shakefist:

Bayonetta 2 is being paid for by Nintendo. Without them it would have never happened.

• Like 1

Well. This is bs.. I am currently playing Tomb Raider and I really enjoy it! Why can't companies for once think out of the fan's perspective and not a "business" sense. They definitely screwed the PS owners over. Sorry Microsoft I STILL won't be buying an xboner any time soon, try never. B)

Because they wouldn't be a company for very long. I have no problem with a company thinking in a "business" sense but I honestly don't see how they possibly could've done that here. Tomb Raider on PS3 outsold the 360 version, The Definitive Edition on PS4 outsold the Xbone version and the PS4 is outselling the Xbone by a 3 to 1 margin. I'm no businessman but that doesn't seem like a very intelligent thing to do to me. 

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see this as a timed exclusive though, that makes the most sense. They get the money Microsoft throws at them and then when they release it on PS4 the biggest userbase gets to purchase it as well. 

Parker

• Like 4

It's worth noting the way they phrased this. "Exclusive to the Xbox One Holiday 2015"

Holiday 2015 being the keywords.

Please god make it so that Microsoft are just being clever buggers with their words.

I actually very nearly cried over this. I'm a sucker for Tomb Raider, as it was my childhood and holds a special place in my memories.

• Like 1

I admit to being disappointed in this decision as well.  I recently platted Tomb Raider and enjoyed the game immensely.  It radically rejuvenated the series, breathing fresh life into a long-running franchise that was beginning to feel somewhat outdated.  Last year's game wasn't perfect, and it had several missed opportunities, but still, it was a great way to reboot the series and introduce a new generation of gamers to Lara Croft.  Making Rise exclusive to X1 does feel like seem like a ridiculous move on the part of the developers - we just have to hope that they will bring it to PS4 after 6-12 months.

This whole generation of gaming is going to be like this, both sony and microsoft will be buying games exclusively to there consoles from third party developers. If this is SE's decision then will we be seeing a Sleeping dogs 2 on ps4? 

Speaking of Sleeping Dogs, I imagine that a lot of PS4 gamers who were going to buy the Sleeping Dogs Remastered version now won't do so, purely to spite Square Enix...

This is why you buy all three consoles during their lifespan. No one to blame but yourselves. Also clearly Square Enix will pull a EA and probably release an better optimized and better graphics enchanced version for The One and PS4 after it's released down the road.

Edited by GalaxyPaladin

Either Microsoft handed over a small fortune or Square Enix are plain stupid. They already weren't happy with how the previous title sold over two consoles, so now they go and make the sequel exclusive on the console it sold it less for. Not to mention the potential for hurting sales on the Playstation side of other titles. I can imagine that their response of 'oh but you can play temple of osiris instead' might leave gamers planning to do the exact opposite.

• Like 1

This is why you buy all three consoles during their lifespan. No one to blame but yourselves. Also clearly Square Enix will pull a EA and probably release an better optimized and better graphics enchanced version for The One and PS4 after it's released down the road.

Yeah, because we can all afford to buy three consoles. :P

Anyone who's upset at Crystal Dynamics/Square Enix for not bringing Rise of the Tomb Raider to the PS4/PC is rightfully so.  The developer turned their backs on not one, but two different fanbases.  The solution isn't to rush out and buy an Xbox One.

• Like 3

I was disappointed when PlayStation never got the Tomb Raider: Underworld dlc which 360 received, wasn't that surprised though. This news however...

I do plan on buying an Xbox One eventually as there is a couple of games I want for it, I guess this is just another great reason for me to get one sooner. I do hope this is a timed exclusive, even then, a shame it will be old news by the time PS4 gets it.

• Like 1

Lol, people are actually angry about this?

One word: Bloodborne. The amount of XBox Demon's Souls/Dark Souls fan is staggering, yet the spiritual successor is an exclusive and no one called Sony money hungry/a horrible company. Its business, they're making you want an XBox One. That means they're doing it right.

One word: Bloodborne. The amount of XBox Demon's Souls/Dark Souls fan is staggering, yet the spiritual successor is an exclusive and no one called Sony money hungry/a horrible company. Its business, they're making you want an XBox One. That means they're doing it right

This is still different IMO... Bloodborne is not a real sequel to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. 

One word: Bloodborne. The amount of XBox Demon's Souls/Dark Souls fan is staggering, yet the spiritual successor is an exclusive and no one called Sony money hungry/a horrible company. Its business, they're making you want an XBox One. That means they're doing it right.

Bloodborne may be a spiritual successor but it is not a direct sequel so I don't think that is a fair comparison. Demon's Souls was exclusive to PS3, Dark Souls wasn't. 

Parker

Perhaps so, but we're still entitled to feel shafted over it.

Well yes, but its unfair to call out MS on it and let Sony get a free pass.

This is still different IMO... Bloodborne is not a real sequel to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. 

Bloodborne may be a spiritual successor but it is not a direct sequel so I don't think that is a fair comparison. Demon's Souls was exclusive to PS3, Dark Souls wasn't. 

Parker

It not being a direct sequel doesn't really matter, the Souls series was never heavy on continuity anyways and you can pick up and play each as a separate game, but they all share the very same design philosophies, its a pretty fair comparison tbh. You can't get that experience from a game not by good ol' From SoftWare, and they made it exclusive.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

Demon's Souls is a PS exclusive too? Not only is Bloodborne a spiritual successor, From Software aren't making the game alone, it's in partnership with Sony Japan. And Bloodborne isn't a direct sequel, like you said, each game is seperate. It's not like this is Dark Souls 3. If Square made Larry Craft: Fall of the Grave Maker exclusive to XB1, that's not a direct sequel to Tomb raider, so there wouldn't be much of an outcry as this. Not to mention FoTTR was for PS4 too at E3 2014, then it was pulled out. Your point is kinda irrelevant.

I woke up to this, and it just pissed me off to no end. This is BS. Call me a fanboy, whatever. I grew up on Playstation, and have owned every console and handheld they have released, and have never been left wanting. The Xbox has never and will never appeal to me. Yes, I actually played the Xbox and when I did I couldn't stand the controller, and secondly I gave halo a shot, and despised it as well. I mean emptying two clips into a guy in mp and then him turning around and instantly killing me was fucking retarded. All this to say I can't stand MS. I really just can't.

It made me angry when they made COD DLC timed exclusive (yeah I get that they paid Activision money, but still, I've never disliked Activision for whatever reason). Now this move today makes me pretty much irate, and I hope Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics suffers as a direct result, until they are forced to bring it to every platform (PC and PS4). They are fucking retards. If I'm not mistaken the PS4 is outselling the X"BONE" by a large margin. (VGCHARTZ.com shows the Xbox with sales of 5 million to the PS4's 9.3! Hell, even the Vita has outsold the Xbox nearly 2-1 at 8.7 million handhelds sold!!!)

Sony is clearly winning this so-called "console-war". All I heard last-year was how Square was disappointed with Tomb Raider's sales. The only way it made a profit was when they re-released it as a definitive edition on nex-gen consoles. Oh and by the way when they did, the PS4 version outsold the Xbone by a significant margin (170,00 to 460,000 copies) This is a margin of almost 3-1!!!!. So what makes business sense? Oh yeah, fuck over the bigger install base and the larger amount of users on the PS4 that bought significantly more copies of your game and make it exclusive. This is a retarded decision from a business standpoint at the very least. If you add up the totals of Tomb Raider reboot including (XBONE and Xbox360) vs. (PS3 and PS4) the total copies sold are 1.87 million copies on Xbox platforms vs 2.68 million on Playstation platforms. Which means even overall Sony platform users out-bought Tomb Raider copies 3-2. I don't get this logic, in fact, there is none. They are throwing away millions of copies for what? So it can be Microsoft's Uncharted? PUHLEEEASE. Tomb Raider is not a system seller, and yet Uncharted always is. If someone were buying a system based on the new Tomb Raider or the new Uncharted, I'm quite sure most would go Uncharted. There is only one Naughty Dog, and nobody can match the level of their games. If you ask me, everyone tries to mirror Naughty Dog's games because they are so head and shoulders above everyone's games.

With all this said, I'll still be getting the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition as it looks like a great game and I'm not going to let my irritation towards a game company keep me away from a great experience. If anything it will be one more copy sold on the PS4. I truly do hope that Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix suffers so that they are forced to release the sequel on PS platforms as well, and future games remain on all systems. This series is not, has not, and should not be exclusive to any one platform. This is pathetic on Microsoft's part. They don't have any great and exciting new IP's like Sony's boatload of exclusive's and armada of first-party studios churning out quality titles, so what do they do? They buy out multiplatform games (such as Tomb Raider or Dead Rising) and make them "exclusive Xbox franchises". It shows a lack of creativity and also an act of desperation as Sony has a huge lead in consoles sold. I guess my rant is over, and I hope everyone sees that while angry I've made a lot of points backed up with data. For all my numbers go to VGCHARTZ. They have sales numbers on all games (except for digital copies sold). This is just so so so dumb and only makes me dislike Microsoft all the more.  

• Like 1

Demon's Souls is a PS exclusive too? Not only is Bloodborne a spiritual successor, From Software aren't making the game alone, it's in partnership with Sony Japan. And Bloodborne isn't a direct sequel, like you said, each game is seperate. It's not like this is Dark Souls 3. If Square made Larry Craft: Fall of the Grave Maker exclusive to XB1, that's not a direct sequel to Tomb raider, so there wouldn't be much of an outcry as this. Not to mention FoTTR was for PS4 too at E3 2014, then it was pulled out. Your point is kinda irrelevant.

Blah my bad, my mind blanked when I typed that about Demon's Souls. :P

It isn't a direct sequel but it shares many of the same game design philosophies, mechanics and atmospherics, all that stuff that makes Dark Souls, Dark Souls. These games in nature are very unique ad niche and have a very die hard fanbase, yet Bloodborne, the spiritual successor, is made exclusive. that's the nature of the series, its not as much continuity as much as it is the game design philosophy behind it.

I would buy an XboxOne if I had the money. But it's clear why PS4 is the prefered one. I'm a person who supports developers work and all but this kind off crap is just another proof why I do not support Microsoft. I know it's bussiness but isn't screwing on fans bussines too? Specially after their infamous restrictions and overpriced console. I agree there should be a console war because it pushes some developers to innovate but not in a way putting a middle finger like this. It's just...childish.