My Experience with Autism

Connie

if you take anything from this we don’t want to be treated any different from the rest of you guys. We just wanted to be treated normally, that’s all we want.

This. So much this.

And people don't understand this and conjure up things like EBD schools and feel the need to label us, and then force us into having someone at mainstream places we have to talk to every week....

When I wonder off to go see this lady I couldn't care less about, my friends who're going wherever will begin to suspect I'm not just revising like I plan on saying I'm doing. Dreading that part of College next month.

Great post, full of good information :)

Congrats on your 500th post as well as your courage to speak on your condition. As my son who has autism he is currently obtaining help. If u don't mind me asking how are your eating habits and how do u manage your parroting or mimic lines that you hear on

Edited by xzero4812

Thanks for sharing Con. I'm actually a recreation therapist and about half my caseload is made up of individuals who fall on the spectrum, though I don't actually work with anyone diagnosed with Asbergers at the moment. My sisters son is also on the spectrum somewhere, he just turned 3. It seems like you've really come a long way and I applaud your journey.

It felt like I was reading about myself there.  I'm diagnosed with autism as well.  I've been extremely socially awkward my entire life.  I freak out when people touch me, get panic attacks when in crowded areas etc.  Primary and High school were the worst.. College was a little bit better as people were more aware of these kind of problems and less likely to bully you over it.  Online forums have helped me a bit, but I'm still quite shy in real life or even in parties (PSN).. I usually can't talk due to shyness.  It's great you've got over it though :) Makes me hope I can do the same some day.

Although for your last piece of writing there, I'll say if you know someone who has autism, you should maybe avoid touching, bringing up anything about keeping eye contact (I never make this, but nearly everyone I know IRL knows I have social problems), yelling, making loud noises, but treat them normally in other ways.

A common question is how do you get Autism? Well you are pretty much born with it, whether it is what chromosomes you have or a change of development within the womb I am not sure. Others believe that the MMR injections case autism in children, this causes some parents to skip over the MMR injections when they have new born children to prevent them getting autism. But this is just completely false, as evidence may show this. Although I did have the MMR injection myself and had an allergic reaction to it, which is interesting to say the least

That is the most stupid thing ever, I don't know why people believe that!

Amazing post! I am actually a support worker for learning disabilities and mental health in the uk! I support both autistic and Aspergers and thaes can come hand in hand as you may have! I have helped one lad with Aspergers a lot, we go to groups, play football(soccer for you yanks lol) and go to the pub etc and I have great satisfaction in helping someone having these conditions! Everybody is on the autistic spectrum! People may have OCD for example and may be shy in groups but just depends where you fall on the spectrum! You wrote a very inspiring post, thank you..

Sheldon

Thanks for your positive responses guys :) 

Congrats on your 500th post as well as your courage to speak on your condition. As my son who has autism he is currently obtaining help. If u don't mind me asking how are your eating habits and how do u manage your parroting or mimic lines that you hear on

I'm quite the picky eater my self, when i was younger i would only eat mashed potatoes and jam sandwiches. My mother was persistent to get me to try new things, to this day i'm picky but i have a balanced diet. I don't really manage mimicking lines, I usually keep doing it until i get bored, i suppose if i hadn't watched TV i wouldn't quote things? But to be honest i don't see that as much as a problem for myself.

Thanks for your positive responses guys :) 

I'm quite the picky eater my self, when i was younger i would only eat mashed potatoes and jam sandwiches. My mother was persistent to get me to try new things, to this day i'm picky but i have a balanced diet. I don't really manage mimicking lines, I usually keep doing it until i get bored, i suppose if i hadn't watched TV i wouldn't quote things? But to be honest i don't see that as much as a problem for myself.

my stepson is about the same and has an insatiable appetite, his choices of food and diet is very unhealthy and most things he eats gives him stomach problems. As far as mimicking its his biggest challenge as he makes it hard for him to focus

This was a great read, thank you. Very heartwarming :)

I really agree with the quote "just treat us normally" couldn't have said it better.

I knew a guy with Autisim last year when i was studying, and i would always treat him normally, and i saw it worked much better then when i saw people acting differently around him.

Edited by STRANGEgenius

• 7 months later...

Amazing story. I know someone who has Asperges, and he's exactly like you described it. But someway he's comfortable to be around me (I don't know why)

I'm really social awkward myself and I don't talk so much either. Some years ago, I was diagnosed with some social disorder (don't know what it's called in English) among many other disorders.

Still, I wish you good luck with your life and future.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I don't usually end up reading these really long posts as my attention span is awful, but this one hooked me and I read it all. Really interesting story. My parents think I might have some mild form of Asperger's but I'm not convinced, out of those listed the one that really fits me is the social difficulties. As a kid I would have the ritual thing, I would always line up all my toy cars in a line of traffic around the room and if anyone so much as touched a car I'd throw a fit. But that doesn't happen anymore, and since not a whole lot is applicable I'm not quite sure if I do have it or not.