Nintendo Announces New 3DS and 3DS XL

Parker

Nintendo: "Alright, we did a pretty good job screwing up our biggest cashcow, the Nintendo Wii by giving it a pointless Touchpad controller that no one's going to develop for. Any ideas on how to screw up our second-largest cashcow, the 3DS?"

Iwata (high on cocaine): "Give it a second analog stick half the size of a button"

It's like they want to fail.

Each year since since the turn of the century\millennium Nintendo continually supplies me with a moment that asks"WTF are you doing?" this is no exception. Do they have anyone over there from the 90's that wants to supply us with something that we actually want? 

What makes it worse, is that in addition to the wonky ass "stick", they also added extra "Z" buttons right next to the L and R buttons, and I mean RIGHT next to them. I can see it now, constantly hitting L/R instead of the ZL/ZR, and vice versa, while trying and failing to rotate the camera with that "stick". They had the right idea to add in an extra stick for camera control and two more shoulder buttons, but the execution is just horrible. And really, they should've also upgraded the awful circle pad to a real stick, like the Vita has. This whole thing is just an enormous waste of potential. And what makes it even worse than all of that, is that they're making games exclusively for it, since it's also more powerful. Like, they're porting Xenoblade Chronicles to it, but only the "new" 3DS. So, it's essentially an entirely new system, except with an incredibly confusing name. You think they'd have learned from the Wii U, but I guess not...

• Like 1

The re design is great, dont see why its getting so much hate and to the people who say its going to fail it will proobably outsell the vitas lifetime sales in little over a year. Im a sony fanboy but this mode doesnt deserve all this one sided hate

It really isn't. Like another user said, the idea behind it is sound but the execution is awful. Take a look at that thing and tell me the additional analog stick is in a decent place, or the new button in the rear is in a good place.

I expect it to outsell the Vita, that doesn't mean this was a good re-design. 

Parker

• Like 4

I think the 3DS has always been a weak console and then when they showed of that circle pad pro add-on I figured the then un-announced 3DSXL would have it built in, I guess I was a little off, but anyways while I think it is a good idea, the LZ RZ look terrible, and so does the second "stick" (It looks like a button, or maybe a nub? WTF is that). They should have really worked harder on the consoles design.

It really isn't. Like another user said, the idea behind it is sound but the execution is awful. Take a look at that thing and tell me the additional analog stick is in a decent place, or the new button in the rear is in a good place.

I expect it to outsell the Vita, that doesn't mean this was a good re-design. 

Parker

Well they arent exactly calling it a second anolog stick, they are simply calling it a C stick (as far as I can tell its all these site calling it a second analog stick and bashing it for it.) As with the gamecube I dont remember too many games that depended solely on the C stick for important things. I do however think that its too small, the name is simply just stupid, and the fact that it looks exactly like the regular and XL 3DS kinda puts me off from buying one.

Like a sucker I will buy it though. Mainly because I dont want to be left out from playing all Nintendo exclusive titles.

But you guys, it has changeable faceplates.  Changable.  Faceplates.

It is ultimately a confusing prospect, especially with "exclusive" New 3DS games, but to a new customer, it's an exciting proposition, especially if it means the New 3DS will get some more graphically advanced titles, or if existing ones will run smoother on the new handheld.

The re design is great, dont see why its getting so much hate and to the people who say its going to fail it will proobably outsell the vitas lifetime sales in little over a year. Im a sony fanboy but this mode doesnt deserve all this one sided hate

It's a great design for who and what exactly? It's Nintendo creating more confusion within their own products with similar naming conventions. There are still tons of people to this day that don't know that the wii u is a successor to the wii. In order to sell these things there has to be some product differentiation in the names at least. Why are they trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Since someone over there is in the fixing mood how about they spend a little bit more time on their console issues.

Edited by stitchesnscars

It's a great design for who and what exactly? It's Nintendo creating more confusion within their own products with similar naming conventions. There are still tons of people to this day that don't know that the wii u is a successor to the wii. In order to sell these things there has to be some product differentiation in the names at least. Why are they trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Since someone over there is in the fixing mood how about they spend a little bit more time on their console issues.

The name doesn't really make sense until you look at it from the perspective of a parent buying for a child.  When they ask a clerk for a 3DS and the clerk asks "Which one", they can say "The new one", which is *exactly* what it's called.

As far as the Wii U goes, it has a LOT of good titles either coming out or already out for it this year alone.

The name doesn't really make sense until you look at it from the perspective of a parent buying for a child.  When they ask a clerk for a 3DS and the clerk asks "Which one", they can say "The new one", which is *exactly* what it's called.

As far as the Wii U goes, it has a LOT of good titles either coming out or already out for it this year alone.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of sales for the units from the parents to their kids but they could have just as easily called it something else and it still would have been "the new one" to them.

:|  <_<  :rolleyes:  - my expression in order...

well... I like the change of button color... other than that... meh... I might have difficulty using the right analog stick and ZR...

Edited by jeieem

it kinda dum that they are redesign something that make them money redesign the dam Will u dam it .but on new 3ds it kinda dum only the small one can get the cool cover the big one can not in less 3party sites will help with that

Edited by MRgreen55