What made you buy a Vita?

NSR_Apathy

For me it was "Touch my Katamari" and "WipEOut". The technical aspect did the rest. I preordered it and it was a day one buy for me. Then I didn`t use it for a long time. Right now I´m not at home for a long time and have no possibility to play on the home consoles (PS3, PS4 and some MS-Stuff:).

But I love my Vita and I found a lot of great games, since I love (J)RPGs and Disgaea...

I decided to get one after getting bored of my 3DS on commutes, Gravity Rush looked interesting and the idea of playing PS3 games without needing to use the TV seemed too good to miss (shame it never actually worked). I didn't play it much to begin with, but these days I keep my Vita on my desk and pick it up a few times every day when things get a bit slow. 

Will have my Vita 2 years in April I think.  I bought it because I do a lot of travelling and its very hand when you are sitting bored at airports, on planes, in hotels etc.

I checked something in the Near app the other day and it tells me my Vita has travelled 37000 miles since I got it. Or roughly one and a half times around the planet!

• Like 1

I don't remember. And honestly I have no idea why really. 
I wasn't into indie games. 
I didn't know that there were PSP games available digitally.
I didn't know what remote play really was.
I was certainly not interested in some sort of degraded version of a "stationary" game. And I didn't like Killzone and Uncharted anyway.
I thought Gravity rush was some lame racing game.
I'm not into anime.
I didn't likte the PSP.

I do remember though that me and a gaming friend talked about getting a Vita for some time, like a year. He had, and still has, a PSP.

It could be that I thought it would be nice to have a handheld console again, and it felt like the time had come for that now, and since I didn't like any iteration of DS, the PSP could be something. I think I thought it could be a good second hand deal. I talked about this probably sometime when I saw his PSP lying. And then my friend mentioned that there is a new handheld, a follow up to the PSP, called Vita. He had decided to get one, but not just yet.

And somewhere after that, I forewent my friend, pushing him a bit to see if he wasn't gonna buy a Vita soon, because I was really getting into it, but didn't really want to be first at first, or at least make sure he would jump on the bandwagon not too long after me.

I was really close to buy one on a christmas deal 2013. But I hesitated and missed the deal when I finally had made up my mind. Kinda regret that.

Instead I went for a second hand machine almost exactly a year ago. Hm, could be in March (dang, I should remember big life events like this :P). Anyway.
I finally had a Vita. Was very exited although I knew nothing about the game library. I got Smart as and Reality fighters with it, but I never tried them. I was so happy with just the welcome park at the beginning! No joke.
Then I went into the store to check out what there was. A few games were on sale, some of them new. Some of them looked interesting and really refreshing. I ended up buying Surge deluxe, TxK and Me and my katmari. Never played a Katamari game before, had just heard about it and seens the character. Had no idea what the game actually was about, but I thought was a good time to find out. I wanted different games now, different experiences. So tired of the regular triple A games.

And I was absolutely in love!  Didn't try TxK until recently, but Surge deluxe and Me and my katamari was absolutely fantastic experiences and exactly what I needed at the time. My eyes were opened to the indie scene and my heart opened to gaming overall again.

That love has grown ever since and I think this is the best console I've ever had. Too bad Sony is doing its best now to kill it off.

You know, I can't really remember despite the fact that I've only had mine for almost a year now.

Maybe it was because it was the cheapest Playstation available and I could play it on the go.

I can't get enough of it though and I really hope it succeeds, regardless of what most gamers might think of it or handhelds in general.

First full PS Vita game: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed/MLB 14: The Show

:D

I worked for a church, and they had a PS3. So on the weekends I'd borrow it and play some games. It was then that I discovered Playstation Plus, and all the free games it gave me. I soon bought my own 500gb PS3 slim to give me more space for the digital library I was getting. Soon they started adding Vita games to PS+ and eventually with it coming up to Christmas I decided to get one for my Christmas present as I was going to be doing a lot of travelling and I had all these free games going to waste, so why not get a Vita. Since then I've discovered incredible titles like Virtue's Last Reward, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and lots more smaller titles. I also picked up Killzone Mercenary since it was on sale for £7 and I'm very impressed with what the Vita can do graphically.

My only dislike of the Vita is that I can't get a bigger memory card than the 16gb one that came with my original bundle of LittleBigPlanet Vita and Tearaway (great deal for £150!) since I want all my digital games on my console at once, and with only 16gb I keep having to swap games out which is lame.

I love my Vita, I love getting trophies on the go and I love all the incredible, and many free, titles I have for the system. A must buy for the hardcore gamer on the move, or who wants to earn trophies but not get out of bed.

There was a 32GB memory card available, maybe they have withdrawn that. I got a 32GB with my second hand Vita, and I bought a 64GB from Hong kong via Ebay. Costed like 55GBP which at the time was 710SEK including shipping. A good deal.

I bought mine to complete my PlayStation consoles collection.

I don't even know which games for the Vita should I pick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

B)

I havent got one yet. But i will very soon. It will be my first one actually. I already have quite a few games i want when i buy one.. Any suggestion on some others! 

Guys, check this out

I just bought PS Vita 3 days ago. The only reason I bought it is Persona 4 Golden. I am hardcore Persona 3/4 fan and I cant accept the fact I dont have any trophies from Persona 3 and 4. :wub:

I am still angry at Welcome Park though. That game ruined my perfect PSN profile by putting a trophy with missing timestamp. I did not even know it is a game. :(

Same here :( Typical Sony fuck up. Sigh....

I hadn't really touched gaming consoles (standard and portable) for nearly a decade. Back in 2008 I started dating my wife. She had a DS, which I tried it, and was once again hooked on console gaming. I followed suit, purchasing my own DS, a 3DS, a PSP, and then naturally a release day Vita.

At first I didn't really like the Vita. It didn't feel right to me with the touch screen and knobby analog sticks. I got used to them and since then my Vita has enjoyed a long healthy life with good usage. Though once PS4's Remote Play and then the PS Now subscription were released, it really revived my Vita and now it's the most used console in my home.

I bought mine a few days ago after deliberating for about 2 months. I haven't owned a portable since the Gameboy Colour. What ultimately sold me on the system was:

1) The backlog of PS Plus games I've picked up over the last year was the main selling point. I was impressed by how willing Sony was to put up big titles on Plus. Since January 2014,  I've picked up 13/25 of the top-rated games on the Vita through Plus alone. Hopefully that holds. Admittedly, a decent number of those are ports, but since I don't have a smart phone for mobile gaming, the Vita makes sense.

2) I wanted a portable gaming experience I could play in bed and on trips. My PS3 setup is a tiny monitor that forces me to play sitting in an uncomfortable chair about 2 feet from the screen. 

3) I've been out of gaming for a while, so I've missed most, if not all, of the indies that have been ported over to the Vita.

4) PS4 Remote play - I won't be buying one any time soon, but it's a nice throw-in and a bit of future-proofing for the system if games stop being made for the system.

5) It would be nice to inch closer to 100% completion on Borderlands 2

6) Never played a Final Fantasy game and thought maybe it was time to change that.

I should add that while I was trying to decide if it was worth it, I wanted to test the common criticism of the system: that the library of games is drying up. Without posting the full data breakdown, I can say that the number of games rated 80+ on metacritic (for whatever that's worth) has remained stable: 17 in 2012, 17 in 2013, 22 in 2014. 2014 also marked an increase in the total number of titles released (80,76,90), though almost the entire delta fell into the mediocre (60-69) category.

My case may be somewhat unique because almost all of the Vita library's various pc/psp/ps2 ports are games I've never played, which ups the value of the system to me personally. Your mileage may vary.

• 2 weeks later...