Best screenshots taken from your Vita

Vivinho333

Whoever wrote this text was a genius and hopefully got a raise. :)

Aksys loves to play with their localizations =D

And at least they can do it, not like NISA or IFI. :awesome:

I work in IT and I couldn't stop laughing at the randomly British robot using hilarious phrases like "computery jiggery pokery". Again, genius writing. 

British? What do you mean, he's a full-fledged Kansai citizen :awesome:

Aksys loves to play with their localizations =D

And at least they can do it, not like NISA or IFI. :awesome:

British? What do you mean, he's a full-fledged Kansai citizen :awesome:

Did you play using Japanese voices? I'm not sure what they sound like, but the English voices are great (same as with the HDN games, although most of them sadly aren't fully voiced, Producing Perfection being the exception).

With the English voices he sounds like a working-class British bloke with a Cockney accent. In case you haven't heard it, enjoy: 

Apologies if you were being sarcastic, I wasn't sure if you were one of those JRPG fans who refuses to play with localized voices. While I'm no stranger to foreign language voices in games, TV, and film, I enjoy good quality localizations. Elitists can kiss my Lombax rear end. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Did you play using Japanese voices? I'm not sure what they sound like, but the English voices are great (same as with the HDN games, although most of them sadly aren't fully voiced, Producing Perfection being the exception).

With the English voices he sounds like a working-class British bloke with a Cockney accent. In case you haven't heard it, enjoy: 

Apologies if you were being sarcastic, I wasn't sure if you were one of those JRPG fans who refuses to play with localized voices. While I'm no stranger to foreign language voices in games, TV, and film, I enjoy good quality localizations. Elitists can kiss my Lombax rear end. :)

Yes, I can't play Japanese games with English voices. I like my ears =D

I only need to hear one line and it's enough for me to mute everything.

Yes, I can't play Japanese games with English voices. I like my ears =D

I only need to hear one line and it's enough for me to mute everything.

Ah okay, thanks for that really wet kiss then, it needed a good cleaning, and Clank said he wasn't going to do that anymore. :)

I haven't played that many modern Japanese games, but the ones I have (Persona 4 Golden, HDN series, Zero Escape series, Danganronpa series, hell even Soul Sacrifice and a few others I'm forgetting) have such great English voices that I've never been tempted to change them to Japanese for the games that support it. The way some of these Japanese fanatics talk, you'd think we were still in the localization dark ages, doing the game equivalent of watching Kung Fu movies with bad dubbing. :) Nothing could be further from the truth (although there are still some bad "dubs" out there). Trust me, I've started watching some of the old Jackie Chan movies on US Netflix and there is no comparison (yes I know, Chinese in that case but the principal of dubbing still applies). Like you, I turned them off immediately (and those movies don't give you an option of original voices). The best part was the beginning of one movie where there was a British admiral talking to Chinese military guys, and his English voice was still dubbed. Thankfully, most game publishers put a lot more care into their localizations than that. 

Ah okay, thanks for that really wet kiss then, it needed a good cleaning, and Clank said he wasn't going to do that anymore. :)

I haven't played that many modern Japanese games, but the ones I have (Persona 4 Golden, HDN series, Zero Escape series, Danganronpa series, hell even Soul Sacrifice and a few others I'm forgetting) have such great English voices that I've never been tempted to change them to Japanese for the games that support it. The way some of these Japanese fanatics talk, you'd think we were still in the localization dark ages, doing the game equivalent of watching Kung Fu movies with bad dubbing. :) Nothing could be further from the truth (although there are still some bad "dubs" out there). Trust me, I've started watching some of the old Jackie Chan movies on US Netflix and there is no comparison (yes I know, Chinese in that case but the principal of dubbing still applies). Like you, I turned them off immediately (and those movies don't give you an option of original voices). The best part was the beginning of one movie where there was a British admiral talking to Chinese military guys, and his English voice was still dubbed. Thankfully, most game publishers put a lot more care into their localizations than that. 

I will still be saying that Japanese voices are always what one should use, but I accept that others may be adapted to hearing English dubs especially if they come from countries where English is the main voice.

I don't mind that. as long as we get a choice. If the game is dub only, it could be the most brilliant dub for what I know, but I will mute it =D

Heck, I even imported Tales of Graces JP version because the localized one did not have dual audio. xD

And no matter how the dub is done, they will never be able to properly pronounce the names. Hearing Japanese name pronounced in English is the worst kind of torture =D

So... yea, I may be pretty radical in this xD But that's just my pet peeve, we all have them, right? xD

Also, to clarify, usually ' :awesome: ' smiley is used when you use sarcasm :D

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. I did actually enjoy Soul Sacrifice one actually. (Even though after hearing it in Japanese in Delta, it was clearly inferior xD) But that's because it's not set in Japanese setting :) If that is the case, I don't mind it that much.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I will still be saying that Japanese voices are always what one should use, but I accept that others may be adapted to hearing English dubs especially if they come from countries where English is the main voice.

I don't mind that. as long as we get a choice. If the game is dub only, it could be the most brilliant dub for what I know, but I will mute it =D

Heck, I even imported Tales of Graces JP version because the localized one did not have dual audio. xD

And no matter how the dub is done, they will never be able to properly pronounce the names. Hearing Japanese name pronounced in English is the worst kind of torture =D

So... yea, I may be pretty radical in this xD But that's just my pet peeve, we all have them, right? xD

Also, to clarify, usually ' :awesome: ' smiley is used when you use sarcasm :D

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention. I did actually enjoy Soul Sacrifice one actually. (Even though after hearing it in Japanese in Delta, it was clearly inferior xD) But that's because it's not set in Japanese setting :) If that is the case, I don't mind it that much.

I agree with having options, so we're on the same page there. Bringing a game to the US (where of course English is the main language) and not including the Japanese voices is just lazy.

I don't recall there being anything specifically Japanese in the Danganronpa and Zero Escape localizations, but my memory is pretty bad sometimes. I've noticed a few random Japanese things in the HDN series but they are few and far between. The main characters just sound perfect to me; their voices and more importantly performances (inflection, etc.) are just such a great fit for their characters, and they sounds natural (not like bad dubs). I can't imagine them any other way, and with my limited understanding of about 20 Japanese words, I wouldn't be able to tell what parts of the dialog the Japanese voices were emphasizing, etc.

To draw a point of comparison, the Simpsons (the American TV cartoon) DVDs have foreign language dubs as a Special Feature and the ones I've heard are awful. The Spanish one, for example, has Homer Simpson sound like a big, burly construction worker. In the American version, there are a few actors that voice multiple characters, and they all sound different despite being the same actor. That's not the case with these dubs. I don't know if the voice actors there can't make unique voices or if the producers only have enough budget for cheap voice actors, but they're bad. Of course, I am judging it from the perspective of being a native English speaker hearing an original voice changed, but I'd like to think I'd notice it regardless. In contrast, the HDN English voices sound natural to me. Neptune sounds really lazy just like she should, and the others follow suit.

One other interesting thing I've seen is in some cases localizations have mismatched text and voices, and in those cases the voices usually make more sense to a native English speaker. I know that was the case in the Big O anime series for example. I guess they sometimes use the earlier Japanese text translation instead of captioning the English voices.

So question for you, when you mention Soul Sacrifice's dub, you said it's not set in Japan. What about HDN? It's set in a universe that has references to Japan (especially Lowee) but is not actually Japan, so how do you categorize that one? I don't remember there being many Japanese names in the main games either, although the spin-offs definitely have some (several of the generals in Hyperdevotion Noire for example).

Also, I wouldn't say your view is necessarily radical. Among the JRPG community your preference seems to be far more common than mine, but it's hard to make accurate assumptions based on online communities. Minority groups there can be very "vocal" to the point of appearing to be a majority. That's similar to the reason I try not to make assumptions about people using smiley icons. :)

you're right Persona 4 Golden English Voice Actors are perfect for the Characters, but for the other Games you mentioned, I prefer the Japanese Language. Edited by Persona

you're right Persona 4 Golden English Voice Actors are perfect for the Characters, but for the other Games you mentioned, I prefer the Japanese Language.

I've seen multiple people say that about HDN, but I don't want to believe it. :)

As long as they keep using the same English voice actors for HDN, I'll be happy. I guess I should try the Japanese voices just to say I've heard both though. I can certainly say I've enjoyed the English voices though. I played the Rebirth games first and now I'm going back to the original series. I knew there was dialog with Nisa and Gust that was removed from Rebirth, but I was not expecting the Neptune "toilet break" dialog. At least in the English version, the voices were great there. If the PS3 had a screenshot feature, I would have grabbed several right there. :)

I've seen multiple people say that about HDN, but I don't want to believe it. :)

As long as they keep using the same English voice actors for HDN, I'll be happy. I guess I should try the Japanese voices just to say I've heard both though. I can certainly say I've enjoyed the English voices though. I played the Rebirth games first and now I'm going back to the original series. I knew there was dialog with Nisa and Gust that was removed from Rebirth, but I was not expecting the Neptune "toilet break" dialog. At least in the English version, the voices were great there. If the PS3 had a screenshot feature, I would have grabbed several right there. :)

Well if you say so, then there is nothing to do for me. I just have to wait until you are a Fan of both Languages and everybody is happy

But but..we are also affected by it. No one can run away from the Aki-tan curse xD

maybe you have been cured? aren't you the one that we go to whenever we try to be cured "temporarily" with Aki-tan's curse?

to wrap up hell called Trillion:

G9m1IbW.jpg

isn't it sad that among with lots of gals, your fave character is errr.. this one:

NYdNcJT.jpg

Edited by JaM

maybe you have been cured? aren't you the one that we go to whenever we try to be cured "temporarily" with Aki-tan's curse?

to wrap up hell called Trillion:

Maybe you should put that under Spoiler tags :/

Uhhh...true. But all i do is give you guys some encouraging words to help you even though i also suffer from it xD. Or use my magic powers, what's the difference :awesome:

Well if you say so, then there is nothing to do for me. I just have to wait until you are a Fan of both Languages and everybody is happy

Hold on, no need to take it so seriously. I was just trying to say that I really enjoy the English dubs in the games I mentioned, so it's hard for me to see how I could like the Japanese voices more. That doesn't mean I don't like the Japanese language. I think it sounds interesting, much like French. But again like French, I don't understand much of it. At this point in my life I don't really have time to learn the language and spend years living in Japan so that I could understand Japanese speech on the same level as I understand English. Honestly the biggest issue that bugs me about English dubs for foreign films (besides bad dubs) is lips not matching dialog, and that's not much of a problem with games.

Let me give an example of why English voices for Japanese games make sense to me:

In the Virtues Last Reward picture I posted of G-OLM, that whole section of dialog has a running joke that the android was created to sound silly, which the English version accomplishes by giving him a Cockney accent (it's more obvious in the Youtube clip I posted). If I were listening to the Japanese voices, the subtitles would presumably not mention the Cockney accent but instead reference a peculiar Japanese dialect (which I wouldn't understand), and perhaps the Japanese voice is humorously high-pitched. The joke is far more effective and funny for a native English speaker by giving the android a Cockney voice, which is a universally comedic accent for Americans (and presumably other English speakers as well). It's hard to see how I would get a reference nearly as enjoyable for me by using the Japanese voices for that part of the game. Now according to Satoshi, VLR is a very elaborate localization so maybe it's not the norm, but it's an example that really drives home the appeal of "proper" English-language voices for me.

Also, I'm wondering how the Gust scene I mentioned in HDN1 plays out in the original Japanese version, since it mentions toilet paper. :)

If a localization is really good, where there are in-jokes and cultural references that are written/spoken for English speakers, I have a hard time understanding why I wouldn't want to experience that.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own preferences, and that's great. Each of us should have the option for both original voices or localized voices. I just don't like "purists" who insist on looking down at people who don't play with original voices. That doesn't make me any less of a fan, and I think there is room for all kinds of fans for these games. I'm still spending money on these games just like everybody else, and it's usually full price by the way. I just draw the line at importing expensive games from Japan (not that there is anything wrong with that either!). I still like to splurge on Collector's Editions of a lot of localized Japanese games though. That reminds me, I need to put my MegaDimension Neptunia Collector's Edition decals on my PS4 to make it cool and sexy in my credenza (where nobody can see it  :lol:). 

Anyway, I will forever be grateful to Japanese developers for making these great, wonderfully weird games, and to Japanese voice actors who make those games popular enough to be localized in the "West". But if an English dub is done well, I don't see why I shouldn't play with it. 

I hope I don't sound like I have a chip on my shoulder, and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. 

So I've not really posted any pics here before, but I figured that I would try to take more in the future (most of the time I end up just forgetting about the feature entirely).   :P I'll just post some of the pics I've randomly taken over the years.

My lock screen:

chfOEfD.jpg

My background screens:

jOFCYjB.jpg pdQqjzM.jpg li95LJk.jpg lg3oc1v.jpg 0byhr8V.jpg gv1Lk7l.jpg yOE0iJw.jpg

Random P4 pics I think are cool:

c18QemD.jpg nTBl0ks.jpglj8IVH9.jpg qro34sA.jpg

Slaying a waifu in Conception II:

3njoprE.jpg

Totally nothing inappropriate going on in Nep Nep:

uvRnNgw.jpg

Rin being a total badass in Diva F:

LqzgvyY.jpg

• Like 4

So question for you, when you mention Soul Sacrifice's dub, you said it's not set in Japan. What about HDN? It's set in a universe that has references to Japan (especially Lowee) but is not actually Japan, so how do you categorize that one? I don't remember there being many Japanese names in the main games either, although the spin-offs definitely have some (several of the generals in Hyperdevotion Noire for example).

That comes from the moe girls =D Moe girls equals Japan, no exceptions =D

As for the names, some are actually changed to fit the English language.

That's because English dub actually changed personalities of characters. I talked about this with one very strong dub fan and that's pretty much the outcome we ended up with.

From his description of characters and especially Neptune, it felt like localization completely rewrote their personalities. So, it actually makes sense the English voices fit the image one that plays dubbed has =D

As I said, if I hear one dubbed line of Neps, I get goosebumps and have to turn it off =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

That's because English dub actually changed personalities of characters. I talked about this with one very strong dub fan and that's pretty much the outcome we ended up with.

From his description of characters and especially Neptune, it felt like localization completely rewrote their personalities. So, it actually makes sense the English voices fit the image one that plays dubbed has =D

As I said, if I hear one dubbed line of Neps, I get goosebumps and have to turn it off =D

So wait, in the Japanese version Neptune is not a lazy girl (with a heart of gold) who wants to nap, eat pudding, and play games all day? Sir, you have just shattered my entire reality! 

< Runs crying into the bathroom and locks the door. >

So wait, in the Japanese version Neptune is not a lazy girl (with a heart of gold) who wants to nap, eat pudding, and play games all day? Sir, you have just shattered my entire reality! 

Oh, this was important xD

Yea, this holds =D

For some dub fans, the important fact is her sassy attitude which is not that visible in Japanese version where she's what she's supposed to be, cute blob of moe =D

Plus, no Neeeeepu, Nep Nep Neeepu, no best version :awesome:

Edited by Satoshi Ookami