Unpopular Video Game Opinions

AVenGer777rocks

I thought of another one. Not sure if this would actually count as unpopular on this site, because the community here seems to be smarter than others.

Video games are not art. They will never be art. Developers need to stop making shit games, and call them art. Video games are about having fun. If you make a game that you wouldn't want to play, then you need to leave the games industry. That's the equivalent to an 'Oscar bait' movie. It isn't made for enjoyment, only to win awards. This mainly applies to indie games, like Gone Home.

You'll know when you are dealing with these types of games, if everyone who plays it only talks about how 'beautiful' it is. You'll never see gameplay brought up in the reviews for these types of games, because most of the time the gameplay is non existent. These types of games, and anyone who praises these games (looking at you Polygon) is only promoting laziness in the industry.

There are amazing developers out there, like Media Molecule, who push the boundaries with every game they make. They are creative, unique, and impressive games. Yet they never get the credit they deserve. But art games get praised every time, because art games are 'beautiful, deep, and emotional experiences'.

• Like 3

I thought of another one. Not sure if this would actually count as unpopular on this site, because the community here seems to be smarter than others.

Video games are not art. They will never be art. Developers need to stop making shit games, and call them art. Video games are about having fun. If you make a game that you wouldn't want to play, then you need to leave the games industry. That's the equivalent to an 'Oscar bait' movie. It isn't made for enjoyment, only to win awards. This mainly applies to indie games, like Gone Home.

You'll know when you are dealing with these types of games, if everyone who plays it only talks about how 'beautiful' it is. You'll never see gameplay brought up in the reviews for these types of games, because most of the time the gameplay is non existent. These types of games, and anyone who praises these games (looking at you Polygon) is only promoting laziness in the industry.

There are amazing developers out there, like Media Molecule, who push the boundaries with every game they make. They are creative, unique, and impressive games. Yet they never get the credit they deserve. But art games get praised every time, because art games are 'beautiful, deep, and emotional experiences'.

I know what kind of games you are talking about, and I usually find them rather stupid, but I completely disagree with you that video games are not art. This comes down to the definition of art you want to go by. Those artsty games may actually not qualify if you got by some more of the original meaning of the word, and neither some of the more modern. Some can have most games go by the definition, and very few will only cover those "artsty" games you talk about or no video games at all as.

The fact that video games can contain pretty much every way we usually express ourselves means that it must by definition be able to be art. Like, what do you consider art? A drawing? Some music? Story telling? Movie? Interaction? Whatever... it can be found in a game, and it can be more. It allows for a lot more artistic freedom to express what you want. It's also an art just writing pretty code. :S

Edited by MMDE

ok here goes.

1. Halo hasn't been good since the first game.

2. assassin's creed hasn't been good since the second game.

3. ALL JRPG's suck ass

4. There isn't a single good final fantasy game.

5. all COD games are the same damn thing with revamped graphics.

6. none of the bioshock games are worth a damn.

7. If you auto pop trophies they shouldn't count. (you should have to reearn them all)

8. all online mutiplayer sucks ass (nothing but ten year olds talking shit or hackers)

9.playstation 4 isn't worth the money i spent on it.

10.the mass effect endings (including the redone ones) are utter shit.

k thats all i can think of. :awesome:

i think this is my new favorite thread lol

Edited by funboy1246
  • Like 2

I know what kind of games you are talking about, and I usually find them rather stupid, but I completely disagree with you that video games are not art. This comes down to the definition of art you want to go by. Those artsty games may actually not qualify if you got by some more of the original meaning of the word, and neither some of the more modern. Some can have most games go by the definition, and very few will only cover those "artsty" games you talk about or no video games at all as.

The fact that video games can contain pretty much every way we usually express ourselves means that it must by definition be able to be art. Like, what do you consider art? A drawing? Some music? Story telling? Movie? Interaction? Whatever... it can be found in a game, and it can be more. It allows for a lot more artistic freedom to express what you want. It's also an art just writing pretty code. :S

Yeah, I should have been more specific. They are art in the same way movies and music are art. But they aren't art like paintings, which is how most people like the talk about them.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. They are art in the same way movies and music are art. But they aren't art like paintings, which is how most people like the talk about them.

The fact that you can have art painting as a part of the game, either in it or as a part of the art style or whatever, doesn't that kind of ruin the argument a bit? o.O I think it's a pointless discussion anyways, just acknowledge video games for what they are. There is a lot of craftsmanship that goes into it, in everything from coding, to visuals, to sound and story.

While I see what you're getting at and agree to an extent, I disagree that certain video games can't be considered art. Personally, I'd consider something like Flower or Journey to be art.

That being said, let me introduce you to "Piss Christ." Yes, some people consider this art.

piss.jpg

Someone took a piss in a glass, submerged a plastic crucifix and took a picture of it. I don't know about you, but I'd consider many video games to be more artistic and beautiful than this.  :lol:

Parker

• Like 1

While I see what you're getting at and agree to an extent, I disagree that certain video games can't be considered art. Personally, I'd consider something like Flower or Journey to be art.

That being said, let me introduce you to "Piss Christ." Yes, some people consider this art.

piss.jpg

Someone took a piss in a glass, submerged a plastic crucifix and took a picture of it. I don't know about you, but I'd consider many video games to be more artistic and beautiful than this.  :lol:

Parker

Lol yeah there are some stupid things out there like that. The majority of modern art is awful and pretentious.

I'm sure the great artists of the past would love to see things like this next to their actual art.

348s.jpg

• Like 1

I disliked TLOU and how "hand holdy" it felt. "Hey, Joel! You think we can get up through there?" It was like I was just being pushed to the next cutscene. I didn't like the ending either.

Way of The Samurai 2 was the best in the series, I can't even bring myself to play number 4.

Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Ok I'm going to try once again, but keep it to a list. 

I'm kind of a funboy fanboy, forgive me. and that lingo.  Fanboy, hype, yolo, swagg all need some time to recuperate.  ohhshit how could I forget troll.  Geez seriously. seriously    :facepalm:   :wave:  

1. I don't think Final Fantasy is an attractive series at all.  I simply dont get how it has such a fanbase and how it has pumped out as many games as it has.  how many games are there?  It might as well been a book or anime show.

2. I don't Understand the popularity of Anime or Anime based games.  These go hand in hand  ^  Kids/PEOPLE need to go back and watch some real cartoons : P

3. And to reiterate JRPGs seem to be just something cool to get into, to maybe fit in. no need to say anything more.  I don't get it.   Again  ^^ 

But specifics 

4. I think outlast was absolutely terrible. 

5. I enjoyed the evil within's controls, the darkness, and the camera.  

6. I want a Dead Space 4  

7. Dead Space 2 Hardcore mode was perfect.  I've never experienced anything better, and more rewarding in gaming.

8. Collectibles are so exciting.  

9. GTA V has hands down one of the most bland, least exciting trophy lists I've ever seen. The MP is where the fun really was at, but even those trophies...

10. And lastly. I'm just going to say it,  The batman games aren't as good as people make them out to be.  People have simply grown up with him, lived through him, and there's an UNDENIABLE allure to him.  He's batman.  It's a good game(s), but since he's a character EVERYONE has grown up loving and wishing in a way they could be,, it's the classic case of "How was the movie you saw" "It was the best movie ever".  

Edited by SilkyJay86
  • Like 2

I'm going to flip the script and see what happens, I'm going to give you unpopular opinions that seem popular in this thread..if that makes sense

Gta 5 is an amazing game, Rockstar treated Los Santos like a breathing entity and utilizing the technology it had to fully realize this concept, there has never been a video game world on this scale that felt this alive, this immersive, this detailed, this ambitious, and simply this beautiful. The social commentary/satire has never been as prevalent in any other Gta, and it also has never been as poignant as 5. The mission design felt great and complex especially during the heists and especially how they approached the heists with the three main characters. People often complain that it was boring, but it wasn't boring at all to me..

FF-XIII was shit....the epitome of laziness, linear passages full of recycling comprise more than 90% of the game, trashy combat that lacked any depth or strategy, a needlessly complicated plot that lacks any connection and it has also been done a billion times before, boring characters that I feel absolutely nothing for, and it was just plain boring

And just based on the last few posts, video games are art, it's laughable to think otherwise

• Like 1

I'm going to flip the script and see what happens, I'm going to give you unpopular opinions that seem popular in this thread..if that makes sense

Gta 5 is an amazing game, Rockstar treated Los Santos like a breathing entity and utilizing the technology it had to fully realize this concept, there has never been a video game world on this scale that felt this alive, this immersive, this detailed, this ambitious, and simply this beautiful. The social commentary/satire has never been as prevalent in any other Gta, and it also has never been as poignant as 5. The mission design felt great and complex especially during the heists and especially how they approached the heists with the three main characters. People often complain that it was boring, but it wasn't boring at all to me..

FF-XIII was shit....the epitome of laziness, linear passages full of recycling comprise more than 90% of the game, trashy combat that lacked any depth or strategy, a needlessly complicated plot that lacks any connection and it has also been done a billion times before, boring characters that I feel absolutely nothing for, and it was just plain boring

And just based on the last few posts, video games are art, it's laughable to think otherwise

Thing with GTA V or San Andreas, I could never get immersed in those games because I live near LA/Southern California where the games are based off of.

May as well be stepping outside. With that being said Rockstar replicates LA/SoCal very well.

I'm kind of a funboy fanboy

I HAVE A FANBOY? COOL. B)  please please no autographs

haha yep.  Guilty as charged.   Not sure if you remember, but I got poked at a tad one time for being friendly with ya.  It was nothing big or serious, but I got your back pimpin.   I'll trade my Sammy Sosa autograph for yours.  Gotta keep my Griffey signature thoough, just let me know when your next book signing is.

11.  Max Payne 3 is one of Rockstar's best stories and games.

Ok I'm going to try once again, but keep it to a list. 

I'm kind of a funboy fanboy, forgive me. and that lingo.  Fanboy, hype, yolo, swagg all need some time to recuperate.  ohhshit how could I forget troll.  Geez seriously. seriously    :facepalm:   :wave:  

1. I don't think Final Fantasy is an attractive series at all.  I simply dont get how it has such a fanbase and how it has pumped out as many games as it has.  how many games are there?  It might as well been a book or anime show.

2. I don't Understand the popularity of Anime or Anime based games.  These go hand in hand  ^  Kids/PEOPLE need to go back and watch some real cartoons : P

3. And to reiterate JRPGs seem to be just something cool to get into, to maybe fit in. no need to say anything more.  I don't get it.   Again  ^^ 

But specifics 

4. I think outlast was absolutely terrible. 

5. I enjoyed the evil within's controls, the darkness, and the camera.  

6. I want a Dead Space 4  

7. Dead Space 2 Hardcore mode was perfect.  I've never experienced anything better, and more rewarding in gaming.

8. Collectibles are so exciting.  

9. GTA V has hands down one of the most bland, least exciting trophy lists I've ever seen. The MP is where the fun really was at, but even those trophies...

10. And lastly. I'm just going to say it,  The batman games aren't as good as people make them out to be.  People have simply grown up with him, lived through him, and there's an UNDENIABLE allure to him.  He's batman.  It's a good game(s), but since he's a character EVERYONE has grown up loving and wishing in a way they could be,, it's the classic case of "How was the movie you saw" "It was the best movie ever".  

I actually really enjoyed the Arkham series even though I didn't give a damn about Batman when I was young.I was a huge Spiderman fan back then.

Anyway I understand your point of view

• Like 1

100% agree with this. As far as I'm concerned, FF13 will go down in history as the death of FF. Unless FF15 is amazing, hopefully it will be, but I don't have faith in Square Enix anymore.

• Like 1

1. I enjoyed BioShock Infinite so damn much, it's one of my favorites (some people may disagree lol)

2. Resident Evil 5 was the most boring game ever, specially the combat system.

3. Despite that I loved Dark Souls II, I don't know why people are obsessed with those games, if there's no story AT ALL, for me it was just fun, that's it.

4. GTA IV and V for me they're just casual games, entertaining but that's it.

5. FFXIII bored me as hell, but I actually loved the second and third one, not to mention that I do like Lightning.

6. Parasite Eve was one of the best games I've EVER played.

7. Uncharted 3 was the worst of the PS3 trilogy, the best was the first.

8. Dragon's Crown has beautiful graphics, but I think the boobs of the female characters are really exaggerated, and at certain point of the story, it's pure repetitive stuff.

9. Catherine for me it's one of the best.

10. The first Assasin's Creed was boooooring as hell.

11. The most entertaining Tomb Raider's for me were the ones on the first PS.

12. Crash Team Racing was a nice PSOne racing game, it has a lot of fun and stuff to do.

13. I don't understand why people find Borderlands fun, I got really bored the couple of hours I played it.

Those are the games and stuff I remember by now lol.

• Like 2

That you "don't get it" is pretty clear from the fact that you think that. I don't know how old you are, or what kind of age groups you mix with, but JRPGs in general haven't been seen as "cool" or something to be a fan of to "fit in" for about the last five to ten years. Maybe a little bit before that. Anime has been like that for a long time, but JRPGs? Not so much.

If you were to ask me for a list of games that in my ~25 years gaming experience I find people seem to get into to try to "fit in", go with the crowd and jump on the bandwagon, the GTA series, Halo, Counterstrike, Assassin's Creed, Dynasty Warriors, FIFA, WoW, those would all have been on it at some time or other, and several still are.

Tekken, Mass Effect and Skyrim have all been off and on the list regularly, they tend to have a resurgence around the time of a new release in the series. FF is sometimes that way, but not all the games in that series have been, and I find most of the JRPGs I play, half my gaming friends have never heard of.

It varies depending on the community, generation and other societal trends - and yes, I'm a science geek and unashamed of it - but it doesn't tend to be JRPGs on top most of the time. FPS and MMOs, now...

This community, frankly, is a lot more RPG weighted than many others I've been part of. I like that about it.

Call Of Duty World at War is the Best COD game

Jrpgs have much more interesting stories then wrpgs

Every GTA after GTA3 are nowhere near as amusing, because they all use the same formular

Even in the gaming world, It's still Cool to hate something that is actually really good

Both GTA IV and V  were utter shite but that's just my opinion. The Last Of Us I found pretty to look at but rinse repeat gameplay made it tedious at best. Didn't think much of Killzone Shadow Fall, AC Unity or the Battlefield Hardline beta. In fact, I cancelled the pre-order for BFHL until I see some actual reviews for the finished product that convince me that it isn't going to be so pants.

That you "don't get it" is pretty clear from the fact that you think that. I don't know how old you are, or what kind of age groups you mix with, but JRPGs in general haven't been seen as "cool" or something to be a fan of to "fit in" for about the last five to ten years. Maybe a little bit before that. Anime has been like that for a long time, but JRPGs? Not so much.

If you were to ask me for a list of games that in my ~25 years gaming experience I find people seem to get into to try to "fit in", go with the crowd and jump on the bandwagon, the GTA series, Halo, Counterstrike, Assassin's Creed, Dynasty Warriors, FIFA, WoW, those would all have been on it at some time or other, and several still are.

Tekken, Mass Effect and Skyrim have all been off and on the list regularly, they tend to have a resurgence around the time of a new release in the series. FF is sometimes that way, but not all the games in that series have been, and I find most of the JRPGs I play, half my gaming friends have never heard of.

It varies depending on the community, generation and other societal trends - and yes, I'm a science geek and unashamed of it - but it doesn't tend to be JRPGs on top most of the time. FPS and MMOs, now...

This community, frankly, is a lot more RPG weighted than many others I've been part of. I like that about it.

I'm 29.  And I'd like to think I've been around enough age groups.  In my opinion it has seemed in my short run of seeing people mention and talking about Jrpgs (and Anime) that it was a new and exciting genre for people to get into. For example if they're looking or a. new set of trophies or games or have a set taste in playing games that are RPGS and would like to branch out to something that other's are doing within that with the genre they're most familiar with.   and b. like I said, it seemed on some level Jrpgs have a certain conotation of "ohh yeah I play Jrpgs"  There's a certain bandwangoning I took away from it regardless of how popular that is to do.  It was my observation and my simply my opinion.  With anime being and getting to how popular it is, I was coupling those together, as it in is in the same boat to me.  Lets face it , Anime and Jprg's are pretty Japanese.  Obviously.

I hear what you're saying and I respect what you had to say.  I'lI admit it.  I do not get it.  It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong.  I still don't get a lot of things in this world to be honest and still feel like I have a good inclination of what the deal is behind it regardless.  

I'm 29.  And I'd like to think I've been around enough age groups.  In my opinion it has seemed in my short run of seeing people mention and talking about Jrpgs (and Anime) that it was a new and exciting genre for people to get into. For example if they're looking or a. new set of trophies or games or have a set taste in playing games that are RPGS and would like to branch out to something that other's are doing within that with the genre they're most familiar with.   and b. like I said, it seemed on some level Jrpgs have a certain conotation of "ohh yeah I play Jrpgs"  There's a certain bandwangoning I took away from it regardless of how popular that is to do.  It was my observation and my simply my opinion.  With anime being and getting to how popular it is, I was coupling those together, as it in is in the same boat to me.  Lets face it , Anime and Jprg's are pretty Japanese.  Obviously.

I hear what you're saying and I respect what you had to say.  I'lI admit it.  I do not get it.  It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong.  I still don't get a lot of things in this world to be honest and still feel like I have a good inclination of what the deal is behind it regardless.  

I get what you're saying. I like Anime, but not to the extent that most people seem to (weebs). It's a bit silly that they go crazy over what is essentially Japanese cartoons, just saying. I could never get into RPGs or JRPGs for that matter, but I probably should. I only really enjoyed the Pokemon series and Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2 such a fantastic game.

• Like 1

Arkham Asylum was better than City. I haven't even finished City because it's not interesting enough to play.

Arkham Asylum is brilliant because you feel as a detective, being confined in the prison looking for the joker was awesome. In the other hand Arkham city is really enjoyable in the combat, especially after you beat the game and then go for the challenges and new game plus, Awesome. 

Puppeteer is an incredible game, it had to be at least nominated to Game of the year in 2013.