Gota's Blogs: The Gaming Industry has Plateaued.

Gotakibono

Good read as always Gota. I have been feeling this way about the new console generation since it was announced. Every console generation has seen huge improvements over the last one but this time around we are getting bullshit social media features and slight improvement on graphics and frame rate.

There has been nothing released on the PS4 that has made me say "damn I need to shell out 500 bucks to get that" and in fact I haven't bought a new game in...I don't even know how long. I really don't. I think Tearaway was the last game I was really excited about purchasing and that was almost 2 years ago.

Now there have been some games that have taken me by surprise (Velocity Ultra, Persona 4, Lone Survivor) but those games (except for Persona) are usually overlooked by the general public who would rather just have Army Shooter #450.

That is actually why Effdeegee's lottery idea was kind of cool as it made people experience games they may not have tried before and hopefully break out of the comfort zone. I know I will be participating in the next one :)

• Like 2

I'm not one to quote myself, but: 

You could've stopped reading there (and you more than likely did).

I disagree that the gaming industry has plateau'd, inasmuch as developers (particularly indie developers) are reaching out for different ways to tell you a story, and we as gamers have gotten bored enough of those same old stories that we're willing to sit and listen to them. Just one example pulled from my ass: Never Alone. 10 years ago, if a team came in and said "I got a game that's a standard platformer, but here's the kicker: We got some elders from the Inupiaq people of north Alaska to tell the story", they'd have gotten laughed out of the building. Or Flower, you really think a game where you do nothing but bloom flowers around a subtle a story as that game had would've gotten off the ground 15 years ago? I doubt it. The Swapper would've made a decent science fiction short story. Journey at its core was a story about a religious pilgrimage, where 15 years ago, games were getting censored out of Japan for having the barest hint of religious overtones. Apotheon's art style was taken straight off ancient Greek pottery, something I've never seen before. Child of Light's dialogue and narration was completely done in rhyme. New things are being done all the time, it's just that people dismiss it because it doesn't come from the big names.

Edited by damon8r351
  • Like 4

I disagree that the gaming industry has plateau'd, inasmuch as developers (particularly indie developers) are reaching out for different ways to tell you a story, and we as gamers have gotten bored enough of those same old stories that we're willing to sit and listen to them. Just one example pulled from my ass: Never Alone. 10 years ago, if a team came in and said "I got a game that's a standard platformer, but here's the kicker: We got some elders from the Inupiaq people of north Alaska to tell the story", they'd have gotten laughed out of the building. Or Flower, you really think a game where you do nothing but bloom flowers around a subtle a story as that game had would've gotten off the ground 15 years ago? I doubt it.

Flower's a great game, no doubt, but it was released six years ago. As for Never Alone, I would personally file that under the wave of generic "quirky" 2D platformers that are doing the rounds. Its story is decent at best (again, my opinion), but the gameplay is sloppy as hell and I'd hardly consider it a system seller. 

• Like 1

Flower's a great game, no doubt, but it was released six years ago. As for Never Alone, I would personally file that under the wave of generic "quirky" 2D platformers that are doing the rounds. Its story is decent at best (again, my opinion), but the gameplay is sloppy as hell and I'd hardly consider it a system seller. 

I suppose you were right about the cynicism, because it must suck to be living as a gamer with an attitude like that.

• Like 1

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  But let's not blow it out of proportion here.... just because YOU believe that gaming has plateaued doesn't mean that everyone else does or that everyone else should or that it actually has.  As a factual matter, it's impossible to tell whether or not it has in the present and only becomes clear through the benefit of hindsight -- usually a whole lot of hindsight gathered over an extensive period of time.

If you want to quit gaming because its time has come and gone or somesuch, more power to you.  But is it really necessary to try and export your opinion in an attempt to rain on everyone else's parade?

As someone who values story above gameplay, I don't feel that the gaming industry has plateaued in any way. Like Damon mentioned, we're getting new and interesting experiences that wouldn't have made it through the door in the past, and although those games may be similiar gamepaly wise they often bring about new stories that the medium has never seen before. I don't think its fair to label all of these games under "quirky 2d platformer" Sure, both never alone and something along the lines of Olli Olli are both 2d platformers, but they're very different games and very different experiences. Honestly, I find this is a great time to be into gaming; there's something for everyone and with indies becoming more popular and accepted every day, developers have greater freedom to explore and take risks. I do agree that the triple A game industry has problems regarding originality, and I've grown fatigued with triple A releases as well, but they're not the only games within the industry anymore. Originality, creativity is out there, it's just not where it used to be. 

Here some lists of some awesome games to keep an out eye in the coming year: 

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/15/15-exciting-adventure-games-to-keep-on-your-radar.aspx?utm_content=buffer11fb7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&PostPageIndex=1

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/1/7362913/100-games-of-2015-preview

• Like 3

I suppose you were right about the cynicism, because it must suck to be living as a gamer with an attitude like that.

Well, now you're just assuming I've been cynical forever and ever, which isn't the case. Just because you see someone eat a salad it doesn't mean that they're a vegetarian. There have been great games over recent years, but there's certainly been a drought in the industry on a whole in recent times. 

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  But let's not blow it out of proportion here.... just because YOU believe that gaming has plateaued doesn't mean that everyone else does or that everyone else should or that it actually has.  As a factual matter, it's impossible to tell whether or not it has in the present and only becomes clear through the benefit of hindsight -- usually a whole lot of hindsight gathered over an extensive period of time.

If you want to quit gaming because its time has come and gone or somesuch, more power to you.  But is it really necessary to try and export your opinion in an attempt to rain on everyone else's parade?

I wouldn't falter myself to think that an article written by me would sway anyone's opinion, nor is it fair or logical to think that I wrote this entire thing with some kind of sinister intend to ruin games for everyone. I'm not the fucking Gaming Grinch. I felt like writing on my own observations; I've never once claimed my opinion to be fact - it's just another shitty opinion in the ocean of opinionated shit that is the world. 

Plus, I did say that I am optimistic about the future of games, it's just the near-future I'm cynical about. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think 2014 was definitely a plateau of sorts for triple-A games. I think that was the year where many developers learned a ton of things not to do, where a lot of broken games were released, developers were playing it too safe with their games, a lot of HD remakes, along with various other things along those lines. As far as triple-A games, 2014 was just the most disappointing I've experienced maybe ever?

Devs are starting to do the same sorts of formula over and over again for their franchises, they aren't willing to innovate or put their heart and soul into really delivering something they are risking because they believe that they can. Gamers wanted new IP's and a lot of the new IP's (Destiny, Watch Dogs, Titanfall, etc...) released last year and didn't deliver on their initial promise, those games played it way too safe with general gameplay and story. When those games were unveiled, they looked so unique and so rich with story and grounded with very extensive and dynamic gameplay, however when they were released they played it safe and didn't do anything unique! It reminds me of last generation around this time when developers had that sort of ambition and then delivered on it with games like Call of Duty 4, Uncharted, Burnout Paradise, Warhawk, Grand Theft Auto IV, etc, except they actually delivered and released something unique! lol

However, indie games on the other hand are just getting better and better, it's cool to see how they are the ones taking risks and innovating and trying their hardest to sell something unique, much like triple-a devs did in 2007-2008. In my opinion indie devs are the ones that can potentially be the next big studios and will hopefully replace the mistakes of triple-a devs now (see Minecraft and Cities: Skylines). So the last year was pretty lackluster and was exciting at first, only to be mostly disappointing in the end.

That being said, I think there's good hope for this year and beyond, because of last year there were a good number of delays (and devs and gamers are realizing delays aren't a bad thing and their games probably need it!), developers will hopefully aim to take more risks and innovate more, and so on... This year looks to have some good looking titles finally, and that's a good thing.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

You get the feeling that the fire is gone from under the industry currently; that companies and developers feel like they know what sells and have no real reason to offer consumers anything other than just that - what sells. As more independent studios get swallowed by larger corporations, the market palette loses another flavour. Recently I watched the trailer for the new Deus Ex game, and the trailer was indicative of the tropes and sameness that is becoming the hallmark of this generation of gaming. I'm a massive fan of the Deus Ex series, but the trailer was more of the pre-rendered, explosive-laden trailer with generic editing and narration that has played a part in me becoming so tired of gaming. It becomes even more confusing considering that Deus Ex is more famous for its stealth, multiple conversation paths and topical narrative core of human enhancement and modification, than its mindless violence. Even trailers for games at the moment are almost all identical in style, pacing and content - Deus Ex is just following the trend, not bucking it. For the record, that's not a stab at the game as a whole, just an observation of its trailer.  

Yeah I totally agree with this. Over the past years most (if not all) games have become more like a Hollywood action movie, with lots of shooting and explosions. Don't get me wrong, an action scene here and there is nice but to turn series like Resident Evil and Dead Space into the Call of Duty games is disappointing. The stealth genre has pretty much disappeared, only because the majority wants action movies where they can go all guns blazing.

Other series like Final Fantasy have turned from using actual strategies to a button masher. Getting better spells is actually a handicap, because it takes much longer to cast them and battles are in realtime. Meaning enemies can attack while you cast a single spell. In that same time frame you could cast 2-3 basic spells.

But there are some good examples of over the top action and going guns blazing. Bulletstorm and Vanquish come to mind. Using cover and taking down one enemy at a time isn't the best approach in these games. 

• Like 1

There have been great games over recent years, but there's certainly been a drought in the industry on a whole in recent times.

I agree, however I think it has more to do with the generational change. It usually takes 3 or 4 years for things to kick into high gear. Revisit the early days of the PS3 and the good games were few and far between.

• Like 2

This was worth logging in for. This piece here, is exactly where I am with the gaming part of my life right now. Having gamed for 30 years plus, I've had "slumps" before, but this one is different, this one has no minor interest in anything coming up, or to go look for a hidden gem.

Even though I agree with Antithesis post, I'm pretty sure even though it was dry, we had some kind of idea what was to come. I don't feel it with this gen.

I hope to fuck that feeling changes, I miss being excited by a game.

Edited by AlteredFormula
  • Like 1

I have felt that weariness too, staring 10 minutes to a switched off TV thinking what to play or even if to play at all, but there are still games that got me excited this year. Transistor was a huge punch in the face, I am not that much into indie games but that one got me tripping, like Journey did back in the day. Bloodborne rocked me, but I am Souls fan, so no suprise there.

Nevertheless, I think we got a bit desensitized already, it is becoming more and more difficult for a dev to come up with fresh ideas to surprise the gaming community.

On the other hand, Virtual reality.

VR man... Call me simple, call me naive, I am damn excited for VR, and it is just 1 year ahead.

If you look at what's selling right now, it's app games. Heck, some of them are pulling so much money down they are advertising on TV. I think the popularity of app games came as a shock to Sony and Microsoft just as the released their latest consoles. I think that's why you are seeing a return of the 2D games because it seems to the industry that simple is selling.

Of course, the Baby Boomers buying Candy Crush on the iPad would never buy a console. But in the gaming market, that's a huge sale bc you are getting new demographics to buy your stuff. No longer is the gaming market just single males in their teens and 20s.

Doesnt help any of us gamers on this site - when game studios are using their workforce to make games that let your Facebook friends water your crops for you - and taking that tech talent away from console games.

Edited by PerryToxteth

This was worth logging in for. This piece here, is exactly where I am with the gaming part of my life right now. Having gamed for 30 years plus, I've had "slumps" before, but this one is different, this one has no minor interest in anything coming up, or to go look for a hidden gem.

Even though I agree with Antithesis post, I'm pretty sure even though it was dry, we had some kind of idea what was to come. I don't feel it with this gen.

I hope to fuck that feeling changes, I miss being excited by a game.

Same here. Hopefully we'll both be pleasantly surprised by a game soon. In the meantime, I'll grab the beers.

I have felt that weariness too, staring 10 minutes to a switched off TV thinking what to play or even if to play at all, but there are still games that got me excited this year. Transistor was a huge punch in the face, I am not that much into indie games but that one got me tripping, like Journey did back in the day. Bloodborne rocked me, but I am Souls fan, so no suprise there.

Nevertheless, I think we got a bit desensitized already, it is becoming more and more difficult for a dev to come up with fresh ideas to surprise the gaming community.

On the other hand, Virtual reality.

VR man... Call me simple, call me naive, I am damn excited for VR, and it is just 1 year ahead.

I can see the potential of VR, but it also has the potential to be nothing more than a gimmick. I remember whenever the Wii was meant to completely change the industry, but then its market became saturated with dull, gimmicky games and hardcore gamers were turned off. I could be wrong, but I'm going to wait and see how developers treat and use VR in their games.

If you look at what's selling right now, it's app games. Heck, some of them are pulling so much money down they are advertising on TV. I think the popularity of app games came as a shock to Sony and Microsoft just as the released their latest consoles. I think that's why you are seeing a return of the 2D games because it seems to the industry that simple is selling.

Of course, the Baby Boomers buying Candy Crush on the iPad would never buy a console. But in the gaming market, that's a huge sale bc you are getting new demographics to buy your stuff. No longer is the gaming market just single males in their teens and 20s.

Doesnt help any of us gamers on this site - when game studios are using their workforce to make games that let your Facebook friends water your crops for you - and taking that tech talent away from console games.

Such games are an easy avenue to a quick buck, so it's very tempting for developers to take the guaranteed, money-laden route, as opposed to marking a path of their own that might require more effort and risk.

Completely agree Gota, it all falls in the Dev's end. Even if they have a great device/invention on their hands, if the content sucks, any revolutionary idea will be ruined. I tried a shitty version of Alien Isolation with lots of aliasing with the Oculus in PC and.. well it really looked like shite, but the feeling I had, the potential of that thing, how it changes the way I played that game... Wow. I found myself walking so slowly, paying attention to every little detail... I don't know man, it finally felt like a fresh gaming experience to me, so I can't imagine when we are actually given a polished version of it.

• Like 1

Completely agree Gota, it all falls in the Dev's end. Even if they have a great device/invention on their hands, if the content sucks, any revolutionary idea will be ruined. I tried a shitty version of Alien Isolation with lots of aliasing with the Oculus in PC and.. well it really looked like shite, but the feeling I had, the potential of that thing, how it changes the way I played that game... Wow. I found myself walking so slowly, paying attention to every little detail... I don't know man, it finally felt like a fresh gaming experience to me, so I can't imagine when we are actually given a polished version of it.

I'm actually stupidly excited about the prospect of playing Silent Hills using the Oculus Rift, it's going to... Wait, just getting a phonecall...

phone-gif.gif

• Like 1

I get what you are saying but it sounds more like you have a personal issue with how you approach your gaming than the industry has an issue. What exactly would you like from the industry? Personally I dislike all these 2D indie pieces of crap because they for me are what your point is about. I played them when I was 12 and now I'm 28 things should move on.

I suppose neither side of the argument is entirely wrong here. It is both true that the core of the industry is horribly stagnant and that the small guys have never been as creative as they were now. Longtime gamers, including myself, are more and more losing faith in an industry that cancels Silent Hills or makes a fantastic Mortal Kombat only to add the worst microtransactions ever created. An industry asking me to preorder games that it has only bothered to show me prerendered CG trailers to and doing it with such confidence like it's the most normal thing in the world. It's not that the creative spark doesn't exist anymore, but it seems to always be smothered by the overwhelming need to make as much money as possible, ignoring the consequences. Then there's the little guys. I'll ignore the fact that indie devs can be pretty bad themselves and that the rise of indies also has its downsides such as creating another way for someone to make a quick buck with no real effort, or the fact that indies themselves aren't always completely original themselves. My main issue lies within the fact that while indies are good and all and the $15 game is a wonderful format, this isn't going to save the industry when it does crash because the big guys keep fucking up. You're not going to sell people PS4s because it has Hotline Miami, Titan Souls or Never Alone. We need the big guys to exist, else the little guys won't stand a chance.