Does earning Platinums feel rewarding enough?

Stickaxe

It's so-so. It's kinda like a drug in a way that you get more of a kick out of it earlier, but as you do more and more of it you'll need higher quality stuff to get the same satisfaction. I'd say an ultra rare plat gives me the same satisfaction now as my ten first "normal" plats did. I've recently been playing games more for the games than the platinums and the platinums are just a bonus to me now.

Y'know what'd be cool. If games came with unlockable extras, awarded for completing the trophies. 

So let's say you got a Theme for your PS4 for unlocking a particular trophy, like maybe the one for completing the game on Hard? Maybe you got a PSN avatar once you'd unlocked the plat so that everyone who came across your PSN account knew that you'd platted that game. 

My 360 used to do something like that with particular games. You'd unlock T-shirts and other things for your avatar, profile pictures, dashboard themes. It was cool to look at your friend's avatars and see them wearing some rare stuff.

But then they probably wouldn't be able to sell as many themes or avatars... so that won't happen...

• Like 2

Games should have unlockables for 100%, I see no reason why they shouldn't give us something even just a skin, unfortunately now we are expected to pay for it.

I do platinum games, check my trophy card, but I only do it because its there. I only put the time in with games i enjoy, I leave a lot of games unfinished because I don't really see the point in playing a game and getting frustrated its my time to enjoy. I do know some people actually care about trophies than games I don't get it, but I can understand that a person might get pleasure out of something like that.

I also see it as a good point to stop when i get a plat, its like well i've seen everything there is to see in this game now.

For me it really depends on the game.  If I found it challenging then there is a sense of accomplishment and relief (Dead Nation AE) or if it is an easy game (The Order 1886) and I know I will get the plat then it's just another notch on the bedpost.  Some games are just surprises like Final Horizon or Lone Survivor, or Metro and those plats to me are the most enjoyable.

One thing is for sure, once I get the Plat I'm done with the game.  TLOU is so far the only exception, and a few DLCs.

*Infamous First Light does give you a little recognition when you get the Plat.

Edited by audiopile
  • Like 1

Sony should mail me a carrot for every Platinum i get ^-^! 

I remember my first Platinum ever ( Resistance 2 ) and the satisfaction it gave to me . The next 3 plats gave me a good feeling too but nowadays the platinium trophies are more like a number for competitive reasons. Of course the best feeling is knowing you are a badass gamer and there's no challenge the game can beat you in but something more than a message is needed. In my opinion :

1- All Games should have a personal reward downloading room/menu , the objective would be earning exclusive content like avatars or an outfit for pshome for example :

Gold Trophy A + Bronze Trophy A + Bronze Trophy B = Unlocks Options to download an Avatar to the psn account.

2- Sony should create something similar to home and the 3D avatar in Xbox 360 where we could edit our realistic 3D avatar with clothes and objects rewarded by trophies. 

Example A : God of War's Platinium Trophy = Unlocks Kratos Blades to equip in your avatar.

Example B : AC2's platinium trophy = Unlocks Ezio's Outfit for your 3D avatar

3- Trophies should give a litte boosting % in your level for each game you own inside a game collection.

Example : Platinum in Sly 2 = PSN level % boost for every trophy u get in Sly 3 or Sly1.

4- Create a new trophy - There should be an amazing trophy for getting all the platiniums in a collection.

Example : All trophies in Ratchet's Collection = That amazing trophy.

Those are my ideas to make trophy hunting more fun and rewarded.

• Like 1

Topics like this I feel i could havea  lot of fun changing the word platinum to something else in everybody's post :devil:

lol thats a good one i just realize what i did lol i have a dirty mind without trying lol

Me I love getting plats its a sense of accomplishment for me and I love to compare and looking other peoples collections, looking at the rarity and the amount they have. I think the trophy system is much better than x box that system depressing me I like shinny things so the trophies are right up my alley :D

4- Create a new trophy - There should be an amazing trophy for getting all the platiniums in a collection.

Example : All trophies in Ratchet's Collection = That amazing trophy.

Kind of like what M$ did with the Halo hub, rank system? Each Halo Achievement counted towards your "Halo Rank", and there were some sort of unlock as your rank increased. Worked pretty well on 360 at least.

• Like 1

The reward is not in the trophy, but in knowing you are skilled and dedicated enough to have earned it.

Not always true... MagusMegamindet al

Sometimes, we just wanna see a number go up... ;)

Edit: I realise you don't have those on your profile.

Edited by StrickenBiged

I'm very close to getting my first Platinum Trophy and excited to achieve it! (Diablo) I'm glad I see gamers agreeing they still have a great sense of achievement when the trophy notification appears, but I concur it would be nice to add or change the notifications for Platinums.

Something as simple as a different sound or special effect would top off obtaining these trophies and this feature hopefully wouldn't be to complicated to implement in an update.

The inFamous: Second Son example shows us that there really isn't anything stopping the developers from throwing something special in for getting the platinum in their games. My guess is that most developers don't because only a tiny fraction of those who play the games end up getting the platinum, and it's probably just not worth paying someone to write those few extra lines of code/dialogue. Unless Sony mandates it for every game, which would be silly and is very unlikely, it looks like we're stuck with what we got.

I do like the idea of a specially awesome theme/avatar for some plats. Sony would have to make sure there isn't a practical way of obtaining them illegitimately (like logging in with a friend's account and re-downloading them), or else they wouldn't really be worth anything.

At the end of the day, I just want there to be something, however small, that would give me a sense of "You have reached ELITE STATUS!". Right now, it feels like when the network gives me a platinum it's saying "Here's your f***ing platinum. Does the f***ing sun still exist? You should go check on that. And while you're out there get yourself a girlfriend for crying out loud." Maybe that's just me.

I agree with fluffyassasin64! If I knew there was a hidden scene like claptrap saying something stupid(it's claptrap people, it's all stupid out of his mouth lol) in borderlands and whatnot, I would platinum more games for sure, just for that scene. Devs could do it with a little help from sony no doubt.

The reward is not in the trophy, but in knowing you are skilled and dedicated enough to have earned it.

Its what hackers never seem to understand.

I'm pretty sure true hackers(which has turned into a dirty word) don't get any compensation either. They do it to see if they can, and find exploits that may exist. It's def not like in the movies, I personally don't know how to, but it requires a lot of skill and determination.

Of course they're people, and not all people are created equal, some are very nefarious(ps & xbox outages) that deserve jail time.

I wouldn't mind a customizable option for your profile where you could upload a music clip or something when the platinums were achieved. I would constantly be working towards hearing the FF Victory Theme if that was the case...

New themes and avatars just don't do it for me.

I actually feel kind of approved when a plat pop ups to have the stamina, nerves (glitched trophies that make approaches super hard) and skill

but on the other side since i'm on a budget it keeps me busy and in check instead of going on a Call of Duty: Advanced Shopping Spree and try to snitch all the games.

But sometimes a "Avatar" for our PS Profiles that we would unlock when we get the plat would be nice or maybe some gimmick like in Infamous Second Son / First Light to actually thank consumers that you worked towards the plat

Edited by MrNightmareCat