Does earning Platinums feel rewarding enough?

Stickaxe

Never really thought about that. I've always felt they were unique. My eyes are glued to the screen as I'm waiting for it to pop, and when it does pop it's still pretty satisfying to me. That said, if they were to actually make the Platinum pop-up more unique, whether it's something small like adding a little bit of confetti or as big as having it cover the entire screen, I would totally be on board with that. But it's such a brief moment and I doubt anything like that would be implemented. To me it's more about adding one to the collection, as far as earning Platinums anyway.

• Like 1

For me it's just confirmation of completing something 100%. I've always went for achieving 100% in anything I've done in life. I aim for 100%, then set small goals until I reach that goal, it's just my way of life. Gaming has always been part of me but obtaining platinum's is actually new to me since like a year and a half. I was injured and can't participate in the sport I had practiced in for  11 years. 

My secondary hobby which was gaming, actually saved me from serious depression. Getting platinums helps me realise I can still achieve things.

So for me, I'm happy with the simple "bling" Platinum, and this great site to view profiles and such. Though if they would add "more" to obtaining trophies I would certainly be happy about it.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki

I'd love it if there were a couple more rewards bound to earning a platinum. Like avatars or themese or cool borders around your psn profile. But yeah even without that, i still get that feeling of accomplishment when earning a platinum and it's enough to keep me going. Sites like PSNP help aswell. It's awesome to be engaged in a community that loves the same thing you do.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 3

For me, it's pretty satisfying just getting a plat, but I'll admit, it would be pretty awesome if there was a different noise for when plats pop. Not even anything drastic, just a different noise than the normal, to signify that it's a plat, would likely make it a little more exciting.

• Like 1

I never viewed the platinum trophy as being more rewarding as playing the game itself to be honest. If I can get the platinum in a game then yes I will go for it. If not then it's no big deal. I have a lot of fun playing shooter games but I know I'm never going to get the platinum in most of them. 

Spending your money and enjoying what you've bought should be what is rewarding I think. Otherwise you are basically making yourself spend money on something that is going to feel like a chore.

Before there were trophies games were played...just to play. It was satisfying just to take a break from real life. Nothing much has changed except it seems to me that the trophy system (especially that Platinum) gives a more competitive edge because people feel they aren't going to be seen as good if they don't have the Platinum in a game one of their friends does. (or if they can see impressive trophy collections online.)

I agree with many others that Themes and Avatars would be a great addition though. Especially after seeing the art pop up for Darksiders and Darksiders II when you stay on the game icon for a few seconds. Not being able to put those as my background kinda sucked. 

I actually think this site does well for displaying trophies like the Milestones and the Cabinet though...

• Like 2

The trophy room in PSHome would've been great, but I don't know. I go for platinums in games that I really enjoy playing. I see it as my way of showing appreciation to the the creators, however lame that may sound, that's how I view platinums. Something I would like to see though, is when you platinum a game the image for the trophy becomes available as an avatar.

• Like 2

I like some of the ideas you guys have here. In particular the developers doing something in the game.

I know some games give you items. For example, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 give you a theme for each game you get all the trophies for.

I guess my opinion is, If they changed it up, it would be a welcomed difference.

If not, well I'm happy with how it is anyway

Seeing the platinum is nice, but it doesn't feel as rewarding as it should be.

But just looking at the platinum count on your profile increasing does feel rewarding after a while.

tl;dr Not very rewarding when I get it, but after a time I do feel rewarded

I still smile when i get a platinum but of course i had the biggest grin when I got my all glorious Hannah Montana platinum. but in all seriousness i've enoyed seeing every single one of my Platinums except for Hannah Montana lol

Plats that don't feel rewarding to me usually occur when the game in question has a poor trophy set...something I think devs, or whoever takes charge of the feature, should consider a lot more than they appear to.   What I mean by a poor set is trophy requirements that can quite often have a negative impact on our experience with a game.   Tiresome collectibles, either too many or the mechanics of the game aren't optimal for collecting such things, i.e. no chapter select etc...   Obnoxious difficulty trophies, countless play-through trophies that don't stack...there are numerous gripes people have with all sorts of trophies...it's when you finally overcome the chore and get that Plat that there 'can be' a feeling of disappointment rather than joy...a kind of 'that's it?', all that unnecessary time with a game for one Plat ping?!   That's what I find most bothersome about a lot of Plats.

Regarding the Plat celebrations, yeah, it could be a lot better than just another ping, perhaps Plats should have their own unique 'ping', or they suspend the game and appear full screen where devs can create whatever they want, relevant to that game, to express the reward.  The inFamous vid above is a nice touch (I have both those Plats and didn't even notice lol), but I'd like to see the What's New feature on PS4 utilise the info boxes better, and a big one with a Plat, and only the Plat, when it's earned, instead of x/y/z friend has earned x amount of trophies from y game...and you just happen to notice one of them is the Plat!   A sub section under the trophy icon with a Plat trophy room would be cool too...   Probably a lot of things devs & Sony could do.

However, as much as it'd be fun to see novel uses/expressions of the Plat reward, I'm still more concerned with games having rewarding and enjoyable trophy sets, I certainly don't mean easy, but appropriate to the game in such a way as to not diminish the experience, or sour the enjoyment to the point that we are getting the Plat just so we can move on, rather than achieving it and sitting back and thinking what a brilliant game and I really enjoyed getting those trophies!

• Like 1

Actually getting a Platinum means lot to me especially if I think I can't do it (Catherine) But for the games that are not really my genre I'm just glad I even get trophy for finishing them or so on..I really like if the Platinum Trophy has an amazing picture. It stays in your memory and it's great to be able to see the dates from your trophies, it makes me at least recall what happened that day. To me Trophy list is more like a memory list or something. When I see some game with Platinum on my trophy list it usually makes me remember my experience on that game and then I usually replay it for fun without worrying about completion or anything. I wonder if my memory is still as good after 100 games or so on.. >_< Maybe I memorize my youth days from my Trophy list when I'm old granny. :D

Tedious Trophies do make it feel like it's work though and usually ruins the fun, but I like pushing myself so I try them at least. But I don't ever want getting Platinum Trophies to become a routine and/or an obsession. Gaming is supposed to be fun, right?  :)

Edited by killivincent
  • Like 2

The video xKrAzY_8sx shared was a very cool example how games can make trophy hunting even more rewarding. 

I wish you could get some kind of a reward in-game after you get your platinum to possibly keep you playing even after you're done with the trophies.

In Bloodborne it would be cool if you could get like a new weapon or a key that unlocks a new area or something like that.

• Like 1