Dues Ex

Dark Souls

Skyrim

Loads of good games.

2013 and 2009 come close

This.
  • Like 1

Hands down 2007.

Super Mario Galaxy (The best Mario game imo and up there on my favorite games of all time list)
The Orange Box (Portal, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2.2, just amazing gems)
BioShock (A game I still respect today)
Halo 3 (One of the best times I had fun playing an FPS game to date)
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (The Call of Duty game that made Call of Duty famous and what it is today, also the best one for some)
Mass Effect (Never got into it but you also understand it for the attention it got)
Crysis (One of those games that proved the PC platform was beyond consoles on a technical level)
Uncharted Drake's Fortune (Never got into it but you also understand it for the attention it got)
The Witcher (Never got into it but you also understand it for the attention it got)
Guitar Hero III (That guitar rhythm game that defined the music genre at the time, also the time Through the Fire and Flames was a popular song because of that game)

• Like 1

2011 personally.

Uncharted 3

Arkham City

Infamous 2

Resistance 3

LittleBigPlanet 2

Dead Space 2

Battlefield 3

Revelations

Saints Row 3

Killzone 3

Portal 2

Dues Ex

Dark Souls

Skyrim

L.A Noire

Crysis 2

Mass Effect 2 (for PS3)

Sonic Generations

Loads of good games.

2013 and 2009 come close

Damn all these shits came out in 2011? That's OP, especially for some of the main exclusives - Resistance (3), inFAMOUS (2), Uncharted (3), AND Killzone (3). Dead Space (2) may not be an exclusive, but it has also been a great series. Obviously Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Arkham City are great to, but I haven't played those games.

Hands down 2007.

Super Mario Galaxy (The best Mario game imo and up there on my favorite games of all time list)

The Orange Box (Portal, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2.2, just amazing gems)

BioShock (A game I still respect today)

Halo 3 (One of the best times I had fun playing an FPS game to date)

Call of Duty Modern Warfare (The Call of Duty game that made Call of Duty famous and what it is today, also the best one for some)

Mass Effect (Never got into it but you also understand it for the attention it got)

Crysis (One of those games that proved the PC platform was beyond consoles on a technical level)

Uncharted Drake's Fortune (Never got into it but you also understand it for the attention it got)

The Witcher (Never got into it but you also understand it for the attention it got)

Guitar Hero III (That guitar rhythm game that defined the music genre at the time, also the time Through the Fire and Flames was a popular song because of that game)

Super Mario Galaxy 2, its sequel, was better (though).

True.

True. 

True.

2013 was an excellent year, but I'm surprised no one has said 2004, is not even in the poll.

2004 had Metal Gear Solid 3, Half-Life 2 (and introduced Steam, I believe), Halo 2, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Fable, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Silent Hill 4, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, Far Cry, and many more I'm sure forgetting. Still, the coin is for 1998. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2013 was an excellent year, but I'm surprised no one has said 2004, is not even in the poll.

2004 had Metal Gear Solid 3, Half-Life 2 (and introduced Steam, I believe), Halo 2, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Fable, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Silent Hill 4, Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, Far Cry, and many more I'm sure forgetting. Still, the coin is for 1998. 

I suppose this thread is only about the best year of games for the PS3, otherwise any year between 1996 and 2006 could be a good candidate.

In case of the PS3, even though I didn't start playing until the end of 2010, I'd say the year with the most of my favourite games in it would be 2008. My reasons are

MGS4, Far Cry 2, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Prine of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Burnout Paradise, Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan!, LEGO Batman, BioShock and FIFA 09. Also Valkyria Chronicles which, criminally, I own but haven't opened yet.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

There was probably a better thread about the best/favourite year in gaming, but I found this one first.

For me, it's 2004:

• Burnout 3: Takedown
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Need For Speed: Enderground 2
  • Jak 3
  • Ratchet & Clank 3
  • Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

A couple more 2004 games I haven't played, but played a very similar version of:

• Half-Life 2 (I only ever played HL2: Episode 2 lol)
  • Katamari Damacy (I played We Love Katamari, which is mostly the same game with new levels, from what I've read)

So 2004 is definitely my favorite year, but I want to give a shout out to 2008 as well:

• Burnout Paradise
  • Grand Theft Auto 4
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Prince of Persia
  • Fallout 3
  • World of Goo