What fighting game should I buy?

platypus200

Ever since i got DOA5 this year, I got interested in playing fighting games, and I'm planning on get a new game this weekend. What would be a good fighting game for someone who barely played this kind of game? Two games that caught my attention this last weeks was Ultra Street Fighter IV and Mortal Kombat, but are they good for new players?

Any game by Netherrealm is probably best suited if you're not used to fighting games. They do feel a bit slow though and theres a lot of projectile spamming going on online from my experience. Perhaps try Guilty Gear Xrd, it's just come to europe (has been out in US and Japan for like 1-2 months) and it's getting massive praise from pretty much everybody.

Tekken Revolution is free on the PS Store, and it was the first one I played. It's easy to get into and play, and the trophies aren't too challenging either, so I'd recommend that. I hear Tekken Tag Tournament is good for beginners too.

Mortal Kombat is a massive grind, and I hear it is incredibly difficult, so I'd wait until you're more experienced for that one imo.

Street Fighter isn't the most beginner friendly game out there. Better start practising so you don't get your ass kicked all the time.

Mortal Kombat is rather beginner friendly (I played MK9 - which isn't trophy hunter friendly lol).

edit: Injustice is also very beginner friendly. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are not as difficult as SF and fun to get into, but they are a bit different and complex. Tekken and Tekken Tag are also easy to pick up. Soul Calibur can be enjoyed even people totally new to fighting games too, but once it gets serious online, well...

Edited by theJJ88

If you want to start off easy, I would suggest Tekken Tag Tournament HD and the prologue. After that you should jump into Tekken Tag Tournament 2 which is fun and the trophies are fair. If you want something more harder MK9, DOA5 (Vanilla), MvC3 and Ultimate Mv3 would be right up your alley. Others choices are Tekken 6, Tekken 7, Sony all stars, Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4 and Ultra Street Fighter 4 and GG XRD like HappyKastanie said.

I've got PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL.

They're less gritty than your Tekkens and your Mortal Kombats, which I find makes them more fun, and they're characters you probably know from gaming and watching TV :P Plus the games are fairly easy to get a grasp of, and are great fun for four player Smash Bros style party gaming.

Any game by Netherrealm is probably best suited if you're not used to fighting games. They do feel a bit slow though and theres a lot of projectile spamming going on online from my experience. Perhaps try Guilty Gear Xrd, it's just come to europe (has been out in US and Japan for like 1-2 months) and it's getting massive praise from pretty much everybody.

Guilty Gear looks great, but it's above what I'm willing to pay now.

Tekken Revolution is free on the PS Store, and it was the first one I played. It's easy to get into and play, and the trophies aren't too challenging either, so I'd recommend that. I hear Tekken Tag Tournament is good for beginners too.

Mortal Kombat is a massive grind, and I hear it is incredibly difficult, so I'd wait until you're more experienced for that one imo.

I played tekken revolution a few months before, but I never really liked it. Probably because I never won an online match :(

A game that I remembered just now is street fighter X tekken, that's on sale today. Should i get it?

probably some good advice up there but I wouldn't factor difficulty into your choice as you might enjoy a challenge. As well as that if there's a high learning curve it's quite likely you will get more skilled faster by playing a 'difficult' fighting game.

I played tekken revolution a few months before, but I never really liked it. Probably because I never won an online match :(

A game that I remembered just now is street fighter X tekken, that's on sale today. Should i get it?

I got SFxTK (VITA version) on a sale an don't regret it. In fact I'm aiming for the plat right now. There's an annoying ad-hoc trophy for the VITA that thankfully I could get, but it can be a pain. Game-wise, I'm no fighting games expert, although I do enjoy them, but it's very beginner friendly.

• Like 1

From the two you've mentioned, Mortal Kombat is the way to go imo. The problem with USFIV is that most (if not all combos) rely on frames. When it comes to frames, you'll have to know when to mash a certain bit of the combo, and when to stop a millisecond before continuing it, so yeah, it's not that friendly for beginners. Now If you ask me, another great fighter is Persona 4: Arena, easy to learn a bunch a combos and become an ok fighter fairly quickly (oh and this is not only my personal experience as some critics pages and comments mention it also).

Cheers!

i would say each game might have something unique that you would need to get used to

the last DOA i played was 2 and i remember that you could block by pressing back or setting it to one of the face buttons

Tekken is similar to DOA with some characters also able to do counters but there is no block button

Playstation All-Stars is more like a platform/beatemup/deathmatch where you jump with a button and block with a button too, using supers to get kills

Arc System Works games (blazblu, guilty gear) has some complex systems but Continuum Shift and Continuum Shift Extend i know have tutorials?

- also most of the characters have their own tricks/systems/guages which you would need to get used to too

Mortal Kombat you have to block with a button - might take some getting used to?

Street Fighter i think is a good starting point to get a handle on the basics, just watch out for crossups

- combos are hard because they are mostly linking moves together since they do not chain

SFxTK is basically SF4 with chain combos, tag and minus the Focus Attack, it also has a tutorial

Marvel Versus Capcom games are a little fast paced and very busy what with your partners assisting and all the odd powers

just some info that could maybe help you decide

Mortal Kombat is absolutely a must buy if you're new to fighting games. It has an in depth tutorial mode that goes through every aspect of a fight, and is generally more forgiving than other games. However, the story mode is quite unbalanced in difficulty and, staying true to the nature of the series, the regular battles can be punishing at times as well. 

An alternative is TEKKEN. TEKKEN is extremely easy to pick up and play, but requires dedication to master. TEKKEN Tag Tournament 2 has the largest roster of the series, and as a result, an entire host of styles to make your own. It helps that it has a killer soundtrack and a great costume customizer. 

I also recommend Persona 4 ARENA. It's not easy to pick up, but battles are amazing once you learn the mechanics. 

If you didn't win online in Tekken Revolution and stopped playing just because of that, don't go online on SFxT with higher hopes before practising. I think I got like 72% of trophies, meaning I had some hours in game, and I have been playing fighting games as hobby for years (since PSX era) - I still got my arse kicked all the time online.  :D Street Fighter is not that beginner friendly, so if you get discouraged easily... 

Just for having fun, I still recommend Mortal Kombat and Injustice. They are ones of the easiest fighting games to pick up for beginners, my friends have had lots of fun with them even though they don't practise fighting games. Tekken and Soul Calibur are easier ones too - SC II HD can be got from PSN and is great entry in series. Skullgirls Encore is harder, but has decent tutorial - online gets serious though. If you want to get serious, pick Arc System Works games or Street Fighter. SFxT is a lot easier than SF IV, so it might not be a bad start. You just need to start thinking "I will not give up but get better" to truly enjoy fighting games.