National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

9 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

Hell yeah we are!!!  Go Browns!! 

Would it be the most Browns season ever if the Playoffs and the Super Bowl were cancelled on account of COVID?  And if the Browns promptly fell back to 5-11 next season?

11 hours ago, djb5f said:

oh, the Vikes nearly had it!  4th and goal, crazy finish.

I knew we were doomed once we missed fourth-and-short. Russell Wilson has been plaguing me since his days of playing at Carter-Finley.  One of my ancestors must have kicked Great Great Grandpa Wilson’s dog. 
I actually like the call to go for it there. You’ve been torching the SEA defense all night. Any good NFL team ought to get a yard and end the game.  But then we run to the right where our O-line has resembled dog ? all game??? Seriously, there has to be a baggage handler at MSP right now that can play guard better than Dru Samia. I realize he’s a backup, but me laying down and being a speed bump would buy Kirk more time in the pocket. I digress...the bye can’t come fast enough. 

Niners season is clearly over... Too much injuries: Bosa and Thomas out, top FOUR CBs out... I don't even know who the hell were playing at CB yesterday... And Fitzpatrick did what both NYs' coaches weren't able to understand: attack the (backup of the backup of the backup) CB!

Next seven games will be so hard that they could be lucky enough if get one or two wins :facepalm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conker said:

The problem isn't Le'Veon Bell.  The problem is Adam Gase, and anybody observing the Jets and paying attention saw Gase make comments about how he didn't like the Bell signing to begin with.

Adam Gase is an idiot playcaller, and I'm wondering how he got this reputation as a wunderkind from his Denver and Chicago days.  There are ways Gase could use Le'Veon Bell as a receiver, especially with this lackluster wide receiving corps.  But Gase doesn't like Bell, and Gase does have a hard-on for Frank Gore and it's obvious when one observes how the play-calling has gone this season.

The right solution would be to fire Gase and most of his offensive staff and bring in somebody who has a clue how to use the weapons that Sam Darnold does have available to him.  (Here's a hint:  Having Joe Flacco throw the ball in Jeff Smith's direction approximately ninety times like he did last Sunday isn't it, because Smith probably belongs on a practice squad somewhere if he's even in football.)  Somebody who could tailor a plan towards the guys that are left standing.

But I'm doubtful that will happen, at least right now.  Maybe before the Jets go to San Diego in mid-November on their revised schedule.  Fortunately for the Jets, Bell is probably impossible to trade with his current contract, though that doesn't prevent Joe Banner from cutting him in the off-season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, acasser said:

The problem isn't Le'Veon Bell.  The problem is Adam Gase, and anybody observing the Jets and paying attention saw Gase make comments about how he didn't like the Bell signing to begin with.

Adam Gase is an idiot playcaller, and I'm wondering how he got this reputation as a wunderkind from his Denver and Chicago days.  There are ways Gase could use Le'Veon Bell as a receiver, especially with this lackluster wide receiving corps.  But Gase doesn't like Bell, and Gase does have a hard-on for Frank Gore and it's obvious when one observes how the play-calling has gone this season.

The right solution would be to fire Gase and most of his offensive staff and bring in somebody who has a clue how to use the weapons that Sam Darnold does have available to him.  (Here's a hint:  Having Joe Flacco throw the ball in Jeff Smith's direction approximately ninety times like he did last Sunday isn't it, because Smith probably belongs on a practice squad somewhere if he's even in football.)  Somebody who could tailor a plan towards the guys that are left standing.

But I'm doubtful that will happen, at least right now.  Maybe before the Jets go to San Diego in mid-November on their revised schedule.  Fortunately for the Jets, Bell is probably impossible to trade with his current contract, though that doesn't prevent Joe Banner from cutting him in the off-season.

Yeah Gase should be frickin gone already and instead of trading Bell, he got released https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30110063/new-york-jets-release-disgruntled-running-back-leveon-bell

Jets be Jet-tin'.  This is another example of why they haven't been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime -- and I'm middle-aged -- and why it's quite possible they won't make it back to another before I die even if it's of very old age.

Once Le'Veon Bell clears waivers and he's available to sign with whomever he wants for the minimum -- because the Jets will be paying most of the money -- somebody is going to get a very good, very motivated player.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Bell is coming to KC. Not sure how I feel. He seems to be more trouble than he’s worth.

You don't have an idiot for a Head Coach.  Andy Reid isn't going to run to every hack with a microphone and run down the signing.  Andy Reid is going to figure out how to use Le'Veon Bell's skill-set in unique and positive ways.  And Kansas City isn't really risking anything because they're paying Bell the League Minimum and can cut him if he mis-behaves.

I think Le'Veon Bell will be fine in Kansas City, although I also think the Chiefs' primary issue is going to be their defense down the stretch.  And Bell doesn't help that any because he's probably not that "bell cow" running back who can tote the ball 25 times per game and eat up huge chunks of clock the way Tennessee uses Derrick Henry.

I also think Bell is going to run for 175 yards and score 4 touchdowns in a few weeks when the Jets visit the Chiefs.

• Like 1

Giants get the 1st win of season

Broncos defense dominates in win vs Patriots

Browns get Reality check getting destroyed

Falcons easily win 1st game against a piss poor Vikings anc from a solid game from Matt Ryan

Colts rally from big defecit early, Rivers with a great game to respond 

Titans beat Texans in OT, but Texans made the dumbest play of season, get td late to go up 7, then they go for 2 and it failed and then Titans drive tie game and win on opening posession td, even without Bill O Brien there they still are making dumb fucking decisons 

And we have the 1st shutout of the season, ith the Dolphins winning 24-0 over another embarassing and dreadful Jets team, twas so easy we even saw Dolphins rookie qb Tua Tungavoila throw a couple passes 

p.s combined the Jets and the Dolphins went 3-26 on 3rd down xD 

Edited by Conker

4 hours ago, Conker said:

Titans beat Texans in OT, but Texans made the dumbest play of season, get td late to go up 7, then they go for 2 and it failed and then Titans drive tie game and win on opening posession td, even without Bill O Brien there they still are making dumb fucking decisons 

I don't believe it's a dumb play.  It's the same rationale as going for two and trying to win a game in the closing seconds rather than kicking an extra point and hoping for OT.  Make the 2-point conversion and the game is over barring a spectacular defensive collapse.  Miss the 2-point conversion and the other team still has to get a touchdown and an extra point, because the odds that they'd eschew the extra point and try to win the game on their own there aren't very large.

It's an aggressive play.  It's the sort of play that guys like "Riverboat" Ron Rivera have been lauded for these past few years.  And when you're a 1-4 team playing on the road against an undefeated team that can score a ton of points, those are the sorts of calculated risks you have to take (and win) if you want to come out on top at the final gun.

The gamble didn't work.  But judging decisions like that purely by 20/20 hindsight and results bias isn't the way to go.

6 minutes ago, Conker said:

Let’s see if Jets do any other moves

I'm hoping that somebody pushed most of the coaching staff off the team plane.  Preferably while said plane was out over the mid-Atlantic on the flight home from Miami.

I'm actually not happy with the Lions win over the Jags because another loss would have guaranteed being free from Patricia and his stupidity but now he's safe, at least for a few more games.

Watching the bucs whip the living daylights out the packers was soothing though.

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

Did anyone watch any of the Rams-49ers game last night? I saw a call which worried me immensely. It was ultimately overturned, but it was just another example of officials being stupid as shit.

A Niner player rushes for a few yards, landing on his stomach. He flips over to his back, and tosses the ball away. All of this took about 3 seconds. The play was dead...or should have been, but apparently, an official didn't blow the whistle. A Ram player picked up the ball, and ran it back to the Niner 5-yard-line or so. The officials called it a fumble. Ultimately, it was overturned, because a Ram player's hand grazed the helmet of the Niner, which counted as contact.

We're not talking about some guy showboating and dropping the ball before he crosses the endzone. It was clear that the play was dead. Players on both sides had slowed down. 

3 hours ago, majob said:

Watching the bucs whip the living daylights out the packers was soothing though.

Amen, brother. I lived in Madison for 7 years. Packer fans are the most annoying I've ever encountered in pro football, on par with Bammers in college football, and Kentucky fans in college basketball.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Amen, brother. I lived in Madison for 7 years. Packer fans are the most annoying I've ever encountered in pro football, on par with Bammers in college football, and Kentucky fans in college basketball.

I go to the UP to visit family from time to time and I know what you mean, Packer fans in every bar and restaurant and jesus they never shut up about Rodgers. Though of course since they're a divisional rival I hate them even more. NFC North: We all hate each other but we all hate the Packers more.

Nothing against Bama though, my family is from Alabama and I have famly down there. I'm a wolverine fan for life but I have a soft spot for the tide. Had relatives take me to a few games and my older brother went to school there.

Just now, majob said:

Nothing against Bama though, my family is from Alabama and I have famly down there. I'm a wolverine fan for life but I have a soft spot for the tide. Had relatives take me to a few games and my older brother went to school there.

I don't think we can be friends any more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Any bets on which coach's head will roll next? I'm guessing Adam Gase or Mike Zimmer.

I don't have enough familiarity with Vikings' Ownership and Management to guess how quick they'd be on the trigger, but that's a team that had expectations and would make sense.  Especially with the Vikings having their bye coming up next weekend.

But the answer should be Adam Gase.  It won't be -- it would have happened last night or this morning if it was going to happen this week -- but it ought to be.  Because the Jets are a mess at all levels.  They don't have enough talent, and said talent doesn't seem to be very cohesive.  The coaching staff ought to be broomed, and I'm ready to include Gregg Williams in that even though I like him a fair amount -- his defense has been deplorable this year and he can't blame the lack of talent for many of those failures.  I'll reserve judgment on GM Joe Douglass.... who, by the way, doesn't have the authority to fire Adam Gase in the first place.  (The Jets' power structure is that fucked up, with the GM and the Head Coach being co-equals who both report to Ownership.)

And I'll continue to advocate that a huge problem is the Idiot Interim Owner.  I think a lot of problems lead back to how the Jets have Fredo Corleone Christopher Johnson standing in for his older brother and not doing an adequate job.  The guy on top sets the tone for everybody beneath him, and boy has this Jets team regressed to the substandard level being set from their top.

Other teams that could make a change soon?  Doug Marrone in Jacksonville is probably on thinner ice than a lot of people.  Cincinnati being the bunglers that they are, I suppose they could move on from Zac Taylor the way they keep getting blown out of games; the final yesterday says they didn't get smoked but it's not a good look when you cough up 21-0.  But a lot of these really bad teams just hired their new head coaches and those guys typically get two years unless the wheels come off.