National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

If it's Jerry -- and he's probably who I'd wager on -- I'm curious as to what the structure of that contract is going to be.  After his acrimonious departures from Seattle and Baltimore, I imagine teams would want to build in some level of protection for themselves against another blow-up.  Talent may have an awfully long shelf life in the NFL, but Earl Thomas is probably starting to approach "too much trouble to be worth it" territory after two of these incidents less than 24 months apart.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Sounds like Cousins will NOT be pursuing a career as an epidemiologist after his NFL career.
Good God, Kirk! 

10 hours ago, Conker said:

Did people not get that he was merely saying he wasn't afraid to die from it if that was the case? How does that turn into advocating for not being safe? Some people just aren't bothered by life or death outcomes.

12 hours ago, majob said:

Did people not get that he was merely saying he wasn't afraid to die from it if that was the case? How does that turn into advocating for not being safe? Some people just aren't bothered by life or death outcomes.

His ignorance shines through on the 1-10 scale question, and his answer is 0.0001. 

19 hours ago, Conker said:

After being cut by Redskins, Adriab Peterson is signing with the Detroit Lions https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29823444/rb-adrian-peterson-signing-contract-lions

and such a good story, Alex Smith made the Redskins roster

Lions are serious about running the RB class option which is utterly stupid and only shows how desperate they are.

Gonna be an interesting (read; more sloppy and unpredictable than usual due to no preseason) first couple/few weeks.  As for Seattle, 10 A,M, road game right outta the shoot is bad enough, now they have a set of stud receivers, with legendarily bad pass blocking ability up front, and a super-stud secondary, with no pass-rush... I guess we'll see how that goes.  Predicting an 0-1 start for Seattle.

So far today in week 1, early games

Rodgers put 43 on Vikings

Redskins repeat what Eagles did to them in week 1 last season winning after down 17-0

Lions yet again blow a 4th qtr lead

Browns get destroyed 38-6 by Ravens

Cam Newtown wins Patriots debut, Rivers lost his for Colts

Las Vegas Raiders,Seahawks and Bills all win

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

After 3-ish quarters of the first game of the first week I'm 100% sold on Jamal Adams, dude's worth every asset Seattle paid for him plus some.

He's a tremendous talent.

He's also going to be as big a pain in the ass as Earl Thomas was, or that Richard Sherman could be, et cetera, et cetera.  Because his ego and his mouth are as sizable as his talent.  And if the Seahawks don't make him the highest-paid safety in the history of the NFL -- this at a time when the Salary Cap is going to decline 15% or so next season -- everybody is going to hear all about it.

As for the Jets?  That game wasn't remotely as close as the final score indicated.  Buffalo with two missed chip-shot field goals, one Josh Allen fumble in the Red Zone, one Josh Allen fumble just outside the Red Zone.  The Jets with 10 points off drives at the end of each half when they were playing hurry-up against a soft defense, and 7 points more on a long catch-and-run after a missed tackle.  Their offense was completely out-of-sync, and their defense couldn't stop Josh Allen (although they did suffocate Buffalo's running backs, which is something.... I guess).

If the Jets don't improve themselves significantly, Adam Gase won't make it to the end of the season.  I know there are talent issues, but there are systemic issues and play-calling issues that make everything worse.  He could get pushed overboard during the Bye Week in mid-November and I don't think very many Jets fans would shed a tear.

Amazing how the Rams seem to be the beneficiary of controversial pass interference calls/non-calls.

Ramsey bobs his head back and gets a flag.  The equivalent of flopping in basketball.  Effective though.  Ruined what would have been an exciting ending.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conker said:

So yeah Texans getting rid of Hopkins ... 14 catches for 141yrds in there 4 point win over the 49ers

That's the different when you're receivers are Hopkins and Fitzgerald against Bourne and Pettis (whoever they are)...Can't play football without WRs...Plus they took out Kittle with a knee hit, end of the game.