National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

11 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Ugh, another Thursday night snoozefest...

that it was, twas a tight game all night too with the Commanders/Rivera getting a badly needed win, as for Bears well they still are the same Bears of late, im curious if a Lamar/Hurts offense scheme would help them/make Fields play better

8 hours ago, Conker said:

im curious if a Lamar/Hurts offense scheme would help them/make Fields play better

No.  Justin Fields' problem isn't the talent around him.  It's not the scheme.  It's not the Coaching Staff.

Justin Fields' problem is that he's a quarterback from Ohio State University.  There's a lengthy and largely-unbroken history of OSU quarterbacks sucking in the NFL -- especially if they don't change positions at the pro level -- and Justin Fields isn't the one who is going to break that.

Mind you, playing quarterback for the Chicago Bears isn't helping matters.  But you could put Justin Fields on any other team and offense in the League and he'd still be playing like.... Justin Fields.  Maybe worse, depending on which of the truly wretched teams you stuck him on, but this is probably about as good as it gets for him.

Better luck next time, Bears fans.

1 hour ago, acasser said:

No.  Justin Fields' problem isn't the talent around him.  It's not the scheme.  It's not the Coaching Staff.

Justin Fields' problem is that he's a quarterback from Ohio State University.  There's a lengthy and largely-unbroken history of OSU quarterbacks sucking in the NFL -- especially if they don't change positions at the pro level -- and Justin Fields isn't the one who is going to break that.

Mind you, playing quarterback for the Chicago Bears isn't helping matters.  But you could put Justin Fields on any other team and offense in the League and he'd still be playing like.... Justin Fields.  Maybe worse, depending on which of the truly wretched teams you stuck him on, but this is probably about as good as it gets for him.

Better luck next time, Bears fans.

I genuinely can't recall OSU ever producing a QB that didn't suck. It's why I always find it amusing to see people sing CJ Stroud's praises because his school is all the reason I need to be suspect of his potential success in the league

8 hours ago, majob said:

I genuinely can't recall OSU ever producing a QB that didn't suck. It's why I always find it amusing to see people sing CJ Stroud's praises because his school is all the reason I need to be suspect of his potential success in the league

Art Schlichter will bet you that he's the best of the bunch.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, majob said:

Do the Buckeyes get partial credit for Joe Burrow? :P

And good luck today vs. Penn State!

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 1

The defensive coordinator for the Browns gotta go. No way in hell this unit, which finished TOP 5 LAST SEASON is playing THIS badly!! I knew after FA and the draft that DT was a glaring need. Now DT AND LB are needs on that side of the ball as well as a NEW DC!! One who can maximize this talented unit, but be an attacking unit as well!!! 

Jets and Giants conyinue to play good, Jets defense completly dominated the Packers all game, who continue to look awful without Devante Adams. Giants fought back from the defecit to comeback and force some key turnovers, which was another blown lead for the Ravens who just cannot hold leads

Bucs continue to look average, losing today to the Steelers 20-18 a game which Mitch Trubisky had to come in for injured Pickett and he played well, even throwing a big td and closing out the Stunning upset

Is there a QB Controversy with the Patriots? 2 starts and 2 wins and good showings from rookie Bailey Zappe as Patriots are getting there season back on track. Whilst oh boy the Browns is starting to fall apart with there 4th loss in a row 

Bills and Chiefs give us a great battle between the top 2 AFC teams with the Bills prevailibg with a late td then a game ending pick of Mahomes to win 24-20, might it be the win that if we get a rematch in the playoffs makes it this time in Buffalo.

The Arizona Cardinals continue looking awful offensively as they struggle to muster just 9 points in there loss to the Seahawks who came in with the leagues worst or 2nd worst defense, they better hope the return of Deandre Hopkins fixes the ship or this could be a long season and trouble for Kingsbury., Seattle on other hand had there best defensieve game of season, offense wasn't best with too many field goals, rookie Kenneth Walker had another solid game

Mariota and Falcons keep surprising us all, with a dominant 14 point win over the 49ers today, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Hmmm, Jets win at Green Bay.

Has the rest of the league finally figured out that the Packers really aren’t that great? 

The Packers definitely have issues.  But the Jets are also (probably) better than a lot of people thought they would be, including me.

Green Bay isn't elite, even if their record implies so the past couple of seasons.  But a healthy Aaron Rodgers is probably enough to take them a long way in that division, even with an increasingly lackluster supporting cast.  Watching today's game, I'm not convinced that he's 100%.  And while NFL players continue to perform nicked up and while less than 100% all the time, a thumb injury probably is one of those things that can seriously impact his game.

My completely obvious thoughts after this week:

1. The NFL has a lot of parity, and...I don't like it. I mean, I should, but a lot of the parity seems to come from the existence of a lot of bad teams. It does keep fans invested, I guess, but as an outsider (I love football, but have no real professional allegiance), it's not always fun to watch.
  2. I still think the Bills are the best team in the NFL.
  3. I'm starting to come around on the Eagles as well.
  4. I said it before, but I'll say it again - kudos to the Jets. I know that their fans are hesitant to get excited, and with good reason, but we might be seeing a return of the happiness of the good Rex Ryan and the Sanchize years...right before it turned to unhappiness. A lot will be at stake when they play the Broncos, and especially when they play the Patsies at home.
  5. Some praise for my home team growing up, the Falcons. They've been in every game this season, winning at a .500 clip now. Without that phantom roughing call on Brady, who knows?
Edited by starcrunch061

18 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Snip

It's not much different from last season except the underperforming teams and overperforming teams are different. Ever since the 17-game format has been introduced shittier teams have been allowed to sneak into positions they don't deserve.

5 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

OMG Christian McCaffrey acquired by the Niners!

I like both sides of that trade, honestly. I think Carolina gets what they need for the future, and I think SF gets what they need now.

It is a lot of picks to give up, but if you think you can win now, you have to go for it.

As a hardcore Niners fan for well over 30 years, I'm always excited when the team makes a move that fires up the locker room.  A lot of those guys are really excited to have McCaffrey, which is a good thing.  That same energy turns into something else, something positive, on the field.  Hell, I'm old enough to remember when Christian's dad Ed played one season with the Niners (which coincidentally was their last SB winning season) back in the 90s.  It was the same season they picked up Deion.  Sometimes getting just the right player at just the right time makes all the difference.  Christian McCaffrey might be that guy this season.  And he expressed interest in playing in the Bay Area, so there's a lot of positives here for everyone involved.  Plus this helps get Deebo out of the backfield and into the open field where he belongs.  So, will the Niners make the playoffs?  The SB?  Who knows, and that's a long way out to think about, but every news outlet reporting on this trade is talking about a SB run.  Personally, I think it's a bit too early, especially when we're talking about a 3-3 team with some critical injuries and a lot of fall/winter football left to play.  Will this trade make all the difference?  I don't know... I hope so... but I also have my doubts.  But one thing is for sure, this season just got a lot more interesting for the NFC West.

These helmet to helmet calls on defensive players are outta control.  I've lost count of how many times an offensive player has initiated the contact by ducking down before a tackle and speared a defensive player with the crown of their head only for the defensive player to be called for it.  There's literally nothing the defender can do on 50% of the calls, if they go high they're flagged for unsportsmanlike and if they go low the player on offense can just go low first and it's still 15 for unsportsmanlike... with an ejection if it's the 2nd time, this rule needs an overhaul in the worst way.