National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

1 minute ago, PsychicVibe said:

They are.........................but not great.

I dunno, I heard all week about how the Niners were going to be tested by another top shelf team (obviously Seattle was who they were comparing Green Bay to) and that they were depleted by injuries and therefore vulnerable (which while true, they got Kittle back, which is like getting 3 stars off IR) and that they had an easy schedule so far and so Green Bay had the upper hand, etc...

Well, 37-8 says otherwise.  So far that Seattle game is proving that they are for real, and that the Niners are for real, and maybe everyone else are the posers.  The Cheatriots may be 10-1, but having the refs hand you the game cause you can barely beat a mediocre team at home in November with arguably the best QB in football and the supposed #1 rated defense, makes me think otherwise.  The Niners will need to keep this going against more top rated teams, but after the Saints game today, I'm not sure what to expect from them.  I know Baltimore WILL be a tough opponent, they are for real.  The rematch against Seattle will be equally tough, and may prove to be the Niners downfall to 2nd in the division.  But at least they are a quality team.  For the others, I think records may be misleading.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

The Niners will need to keep this going against more top rated teams, but after the Saints game today, I'm not sure what to expect from them.  I know Baltimore WILL be a tough opponent, they are for real.  The rematch against Seattle will be equally tough, and may prove to be the Niners downfall to 2nd in the division.  But at least they are a quality team.  For the others, I think records may be misleading.

Saints game should be as tough as they come.  A 10 A.M. road game against a team that will take the #1 seed with a win (right?), if that's not enough for New Orleans to play outta their minds I don't know what is.  That week 17 game is going to be interesting for sure.

6 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

DAMN!!!!

I KNOW WHAT THE GREY CUP IS AND CONGRATS!

It is the Super Bowl for the Canadian Football League :).

We took on the number one team in the league (TiCats were 15-3) and they had all predicted that they would squash us.

Well 33 - 12 was the final number and the drought has finally ended.

fbo-cfl-grey-cup-20191124.jpg

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Saints game should be as tough as they come.  A 10 A.M. road game against a team that will take the #1 seed with a win (right?), if that's not enough for New Orleans to play outta their minds I don't know what is.  That week 17 game is going to be interesting for sure.

Not saying it won't be tough or that they aren't a tough opponent, just saying I'm not sure what to expect.  Before today, I expected it might be brutal.  Now I just don't know.  And the Saints are 4.5 games ahead in their division and playing Atlanta next week.  If they win that game they have already locked down 1st place.  Beating the Niners would be for bragging rights, but its anything but a necessity to win.  Meanwhile, both Seattle and SF need to keep winning.. every... single... game.  These teams might end up playing 3 times this year, with the winner of the final matchup going to the SB.  Saints at home in December will not be an easy game, not even close.  But will they bring the team that beat Seattle in week 3, or the team that lost to the Falcons in week 10?  That's what I'm unsure about.  Meanwhile, the Niners with Kittle back and the defense clicking despite Kwon's absence are quite the imposing force.  At this point, I'm certainly more worried about next week.  Baltimore is doing great this year and they always play hard against the Niners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matto_lsi said:

Not saying it won't be tough or that they aren't a tough opponent, just saying I'm not sure what to expect.  Before today, I expected it might be brutal.  Now I just don't know.  And the Saints are 4.5 games ahead in their division and playing Atlanta next week.  If they win that game they have already locked down 1st place.  Beating the Niners would be for bragging rights, but its anything but a necessity to win.  Meanwhile, both Seattle and SF need to keep winning.. every... single... game.  These teams might end up playing 3 times this year, with the winner of the final matchup going to the SB.  Saints at home in December will not be an easy game, not even close.  But will they bring the team that beat Seattle in week 3, or the team that lost to the Falcons in week 10?  That's what I'm unsure about.  Meanwhile, the Niners with Kittle back and the defense clicking despite Kwon's absence are quite the imposing force.  At this point, I'm certainly more worried about next week.  Baltimore is doing great this year and they always play hard against the Niners.

Upcoming game against Baltimore in Baltimore will be SF's most challenging of the year so far. Another chance for a great MVP mobile QB that can compete against a soon-to-be legendary DL.

Super Bowl preview?

24 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Beating the Niners would be for bragging rights, but its anything but a necessity to win. 

This is where we disagree.  I'm just going off of the top of my head here so correct me if I'm wrong but beating the 9ers is their biggest step towards holding the #1 seed.  If they beat the 9ers they take #1 with tie-breakers over Seattle and San Fran, they get to control their own destiny.  Just like how important beating Green Bay was tonight for San Fran.  Green bay's schedule from here on out is pretty soft and they could easily win out and end up with the same record as San Fran, but that head to head win.  5 of the 6 NFC playoff teams are all within a game or two of each other, which means every time they play head to head, a win is , IMO, an absolute necessity.

I think Packers just don't want to play in California again this season xD . But huge props to the 49ers continuing to show how good they are this season, though the next 2 road games at Ravens and Saints will fully tell us just how good they really are

9 minutes ago, majob said:

Local papers are calling for Patricia's firing but he's locked in until 2021 so I wonder how Bob Quinn is going to respond

Doesn't help Stafford isn't playing but then again Patricia is defense and Lions haven't been good on that side so it will be interesting what the orginization does

Just now, Conker said:

Doesn't help Stafford isn't playing but then again Patricia is defense and Lions haven't been good on that side so it will be interesting what the orginization does

Patricia's "defense" has always been abysmal. The "Bend but don't Break" model doesn't work too well when you don't have a qb like Tom Brady who can quickly go back out onto the field and score. The Lions defensive players, while not stars, are still capable and Patrcia's scheming is making them give up large yardage chunks they simply can't give up because in the redzone where they're supposed to be tougher they let sweeping plays get the better of them almost every single time. It's no surprise the Patriots defense became BETTER when Patricia left.

13 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I wonder how long a 10-1 team has to prove if he's for real 1f612.png

They're 100% for real, the question that's still being asked is "are they really the best team in the NFC?".  The answer to that will be debated far less in two weeks.  So far, up until the Seahawks game the only teams the 9ers have played that currently have winning records are the Rams (6-4) and Steelers (6-5), not really a murderers row, and as it stands today their 1 signature win was last night. San Fran's in their toughest stretch by far (Seahawks, Cards, Packers. Ravens, Saints) and so far, against the winning teams in that stretch they're 1-1.  I'd say if they don't go 0-2 in the next two weeks, which are both 10 A.M. road games against current #2 seeds, the debate will 100% be over.

2 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

They're 100% for real, the question that's still being asked is "are they really the best team in the NFC?".  The answer to that will be debated far less in two weeks.  So far, up until the Seahawks game the only teams the 9ers have played that currently have winning records are the Rams (6-4) and Steelers (6-5), not really a murderers row, and as it stands today their 1 signature win was last night. San Fran's in their toughest stretch by far (Seahawks, Cards, Packers. Ravens, Saints) and so far, against the winning teams in that stretch they're 1-1.  I'd say if they don't go 0-2 in the next two weeks, which are both 10 A.M. road games against current #2 seeds, the debate will 100% be over.

I 100% stand what you said, unfortunately there's still people and even "experts" who are not yet in the second question and debating if the're for real. After years of drowning, even if SF ends at 10-6, they're better that most of wannabe-SB team that always win on summer and suck when football begins

37 minutes ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

I 100% stand what you said, unfortunately there's still people and even "experts" who are not yet in the second question and debating if the're for real. After years of drowning, even if SF ends at 10-6, they're better that most of wannabe-SB team that always win on summer and suck when football begins

If SF ends up at 10-6, everyone will be talking about what a free-fall they had, that would be a disastrous finish.  5 more regular season losses!?  13-3 is much more realistic. 

As well as the Seahawks and 49ers are playing now, it is still November and teams can play/look very different when the games really start in January.  A little too early to be crowning anyone!  In fact, it would not surprise me to see Seattle (or SF) lose in Wild Card Weekend at Dallas.  Better teams than the Cowboys but we quite often see those overlooked 4 seeds win the first game.

The Patriots offense is a mess but they will only need to win 2 home games in dreary weather (and probably more officiating help) and they are in another Super Bowl.  NFC is loaded by comparison.

51 minutes ago, djb5f said:

it would not surprise me to see Seattle (or SF) lose in Wild Card Weekend at Dallas. 

While I 100% agree with you here, having to go to Dallas is still waaaaaay more preferable than having to go to NO or worse... Green Bay (we all know how much home cookin' the refs give the Packers in Lambeau).  If Minnesota wins the 4 seed then I'd be 50/50 on Seattle travelling there and 75/25 for San Fran (again, that's if they're the 5 seed).  Best case, and still possible, scenario for the 5 seed is Dallas falling apart and the super vulnerable Eagles hosting a game I guess.

19 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm not saying the Seattle/Philly game was great... but this is what got flexed into its place?  Good call ?

Far more entertaining to watch Rodgers get pummeled in the pocket by San Fran's front four, than watching Philly's horrendous receivers drop pass after pass. :P

Kudos to the 49ers defense on whipping what's considered a pretty good O-line in GB. What impressed me most, is they get consistent pressure with just the front four. That was nightmarish for Rodgers because he couldn't find open receivers with all the added bodies in the secondary. Normally, Rodgers can buy time and wait for the coverage to break down, but that didn't happen last night. 

52 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

While I 100% agree with you here, having to go to Dallas is still waaaaaay more preferable than having to go to NO or worse... Green Bay (we all know how much home cookin' the refs give the Packers in Lambeau).  If Minnesota wins the 4 seed then I'd be 50/50 on Seattle travelling there and 75/25 for San Fran (again, that's if they're the 5 seed).  Best case, and still possible, scenario for the 5 seed is Dallas falling apart and the super vulnerable Eagles hosting a game I guess.

NFC East champ is pretty much guaranteed to be the 4 seed.

4 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

You think both Pack and Vikings will tank their way into 4th seed or typo?  The most likely outcome is Seattle or SF in 5th going to either Dallas or Philly for a wildcard road game (that playoff re-seeding can't come soon enough :/)

And to continue our convo from last night, I am far more afraid of next week than the week after.  While the next 2 weeks could be consecutive losses for the Niners, the Ravens are looking unstoppable.  Saints tied 31-31 at home against the Panthers (who the Niners beat 51-13) and only win cause Carolina misses a 28 yd field goal with 2 mins left in the game... really? lol  That's a chip shot and closer than an extra point.  So yeah, Saints aren't pushovers, but again, not sure which version of them show up in 2 weeks.  If its the version that played the Panthers this weekend, I like the Niners chances.  If its the version that beat your Hawks earlier in the season, with the Niners coming off a road game against these Ravens, then I'll be very nervous.  BUT, the Ravens aren't messing around.  This team is on fire and is, and has been for weeks now, my pick for the AFC team headed to the super bowl.  I can only hope that Houston, KC, and Buffalo pulls theirs heads out and take down the Pats so that the Ravens get the #1 spot they truly deserve.

1 minute ago, Matto_lsi said:

You think both Pack and Vikings will tank their way into 4th seed or typo?  The most likely outcome is Seattle or SF in 5th going to either Dallas or Philly for a wildcard road game (that playoff re-seeding can't come soon enough :/)

And to continue our convo from last night, I am far more afraid of next week than the week after.  While the next 2 weeks could be consecutive losses for the Niners, the Ravens are looking unstoppable.  Saints tied 31-31 at home against the Panthers (who the Niners beat 51-13) and only win cause Carolina misses a 28 yd field goal with 2 mins left in the game... really? lol  That's a chip shot and closer than an extra point.  So yeah, Saints aren't pushovers, but again, not sure which version of them show up in 2 weeks.  If its the version that played the Panthers this weekend, I like the Niners chances.  If its the version that beat your Hawks earlier in the season, with the Niners coming off a road game against these Ravens, then I'll be very nervous.  BUT, the Ravens aren't messing around.  This team is on fire and is, and has been for weeks now, my pick for the AFC team headed to the super bowl.  I can only hope that Houston, KC, and Buffalo pulls theirs heads out and take down the Pats so that the Ravens get the #1 spot they truly deserve.

In addition, mobile quarterbacks such as Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray tend to be more effective against the Niners' defensive line than stationary targets like Goff and Rodgers. I really don't think the Saints will be competitive.....they've given up a boatload of points against such softies as Atlanta and Carolina.

Along those lines, should SF be fortunate enough to go to the Super Bowl, they would much prefer New England as an opponent over Baltimore.

8 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

In addition, mobile quarterbacks such as Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray tend to be more effective against the Niners' defensive line than stationary targets like Goff and Rodgers. I really don't think the Saints will be competitive.....they've given up a boatload of points against such softies as Atlanta and Carolina.

Along those lines, should SF be fortunate enough to go to the Super Bowl, they would much prefer New England as an opponent over Baltimore.

Perhaps, depends how much the refs would help them in the SB :P  But the way I see it there's only really one team in the AFC that deserves that bid, and they're destroying the Rams 28-6 right now.  I wouldn't want to face them in the SB.  Hell, I don't want to face them next week either!  Win or lose, though, I still think they have the best shot from the AFC.  It'll just be sad if they have to play in Foxborough first (where anything can happen) to get there.

4 hours ago, djb5f said:

NFC East champ is pretty much guaranteed to be the 4 seed.

54 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

You think both Pack and Vikings will tank their way into 4th seed or typo? 

Total typo, I meant 3rd seed.

And wow, the "big 3" of the weekend (pats/Cowboys, 49ers/Packers, Ravens/Rams) all turned out to be super... not great... games.  And it's 100% time to take Lamar off the field..  

Edited by skidmarkgn

40 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Total typo, I meant 3rd seed.

And wow, the "big 3" of the weekend (pats/Cowboys, 49ers/Packers, Ravens/Rams) all turned out to be super... not great... games.  And it's 100% time to take Lamar off the field..  

Hey look at that, RG3 is still out there somewhere!  I had no idea he was the backup in Baltimore.

My god, 45-6... next Sunday's Niners vs Ravens game is either going to be epic or awful.  Here's hoping for a healthy positive outcome ?